SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

An Assessment of Player Performance v Ipswich

An assessment of individual player performance on Saturday 

Each player was judged on the following criteria:

Instance of excellent play                                     

Instance of decent/good play                               *

Instance of disappointing/poor play                    *

Instance of terrible play                                          *                                                       E&OE

Ratings

Raya                   *            ****                                             *                          *

Nyambe            *            *************                          ****

Lenihan             *            *****************                 **

Mulgrew           *           *****************                 ****                   **

Williams            **         ***********                              *****                   

Smallwood       *           *********                                    *

Evans                 *           *****                                             *

Bennett             *           ********                                      *

Dack(82)              ***       ******

Graham(64)        ***       ***********                                 **

Samuel(66)                       ****                                                **

Palmer(64)                        *                                                                                    *

Nutall(66)                  *            ***                                                   *

Conway(82)

Highlights and Lowlights

(A justification for the main events above)

5.        A beautiful ball into the box beats all the Rovers defenders and Edwards scores a neat  header. Williams should have done better I feel.

14.     Excellent hold up play by Graham.

19.     A looping free kick from Smallwood reaches Lenihan who directs his header back across goal, Williams flicks on and the keeper fails to palm the ball clear. Graham lashes it into the net.

21.      Poor pass by Graham in midfield is intercepted by An Ipswich man who threads the ball through our entire defence. Raya rushes out to clear up but instead of putting the ball into the stands, he kicks it straight to an opponent who fortunately cannot take advantage.

27       Great chase back by Bennett who wins the ball and lays it off.

28       Under pressure, Graham flicks a beautiful ball down the wing. Williams chases and his perfect cross is smashed into the net by an on-rushing Dack. Great goal.

66.     Poor decision by Mulgrew. Appealing desperately and unsuccessfully for offside, he allows the Ipswich man to play a nice ball across the face of goal……no one there to finish off

fortunately.

67.     A good chase and challenge by Nuttall wins a throw which he takes quickly. Dack runs on to the ball and eventually Evans puts the ball into the stands!

77.     Dack receives the ball on the touchline, swivels expertly to put in a dangerous cross. It’s cleared but eventually Nyambe passes through to Dack who slides the ball across the goal to Nuttall but his shot is blocked. The ball bounces to Palmer in a great position but he manages to hit the prone goalie. Should have been three!

80.     A mix up by Mulgrew and Williams gives the Ipswich player a clear run on goal. Raya saves.

81.     Great save by Raya’s legs. Panic from the resulting corner as Raya fails to gather but the Ipswich man puts the ball over the bar!

90.     Freak goal!

Edited by tonyoz
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, tonyoz said:

An assessment of individual player performance on Saturday 

Each player was judged on the following criteria:

Instance of excellent play                                     

Instance of decent/good play                               *

Instance of disappointing/poor play                    *

Instance of terrible play                                          *                                                       E&OE

Ratings

Raya                   *            ****                                             *                          *

Nyambe            *            *************                          ****

Lenihan             *            *****************                 **

Mulgrew           *           *****************                 ****                   **

Williams            **         ***********                              ****                   *

Smallwood       *           *********                                    *

Evans                 *           *****                                             *

Bennett             *           ********                                      *

Dack(82)              ***       ******

Graham(64)        ***       ***********                                 *

Samuel(66)                       ****                                                **

Palmer(64)                        *                                                                                    *

Nutall(66)                  *            ***                                                     *

Conway(82)

Highlights and Lowlights

(A justification for the main events above)

5.        A beautiful ball into the box beats all the Rovers defenders and Edwards scores a neat  header. Williams should have done better I feel.

14.     Excellent hold up play by Graham.

19.     A looping free kick from Smallwood reaches Lenihan who directs his header back across goal, Williams flicks on and the keeper fails to palm the ball clear. Graham lashes it into the net.

27       Great chase back by Bennett who wins the ball and lays it off.

28       Under pressure, Graham flicks a beautiful ball down the wing. Williams chases and his perfect cross is smashed into the net by an on-rushing Dack. Great goal.

66.     Poor decision by Mulgrew. Appealing desperately and unsuccessfully for offside, he allows the Ipswich man to play a nice ball across the face of goal……no one there to finish off

fortunately.

67.     A good chase and challenge by Nuttall wins a throw which he takes quickly. Dack runs on to the ball and eventually Evans puts the ball into the stands!

77.     Dack receives the ball on the touchline, swivels expertly to put in a dangerous cross. It’s cleared but eventually Nyambe passes through to Dack who slides the ball across the goal to Nuttall but his shot is blocked. The ball bounces to Palmer in a great position but he manages to hit the prone goalie. Should have been three!

80.     A mix up by Mulgrew and Williams gives the Ipswich player a clear run on goal. Raya saves.

81.     Great save by Raya’s legs. Panic from the resulting corner as Raya fails to gather but the Ipswich man puts the ball over the bar!

90.     Freak goal!

Very good and interesting! Seems accurate and captures Dacks performance who wasn't that involved but dangerous when he got on the ball.   

• Like 1

• Backroom

Interesting, thanks for this. Shows that our back line (Lenihan excepted) are all prone to mistakes, which we knew going into the season. That's why I would have liked to have seen some strengthening there but we seem obsessed with central midfielders instead. Palmer's contribution really was poor when he came on - nonexistent save for that glaring miss. Even Nuttall had more impact and he was getting a lot more criticism. I suppose if Palmer had fitness problems going into the match that might explain it, but then why bring him on at all if he wasn't ready? 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Misses out Rayas horrendous kick and rush of blood in the first half. Made 2 big mistakes that we were lucky to get away with.

Yes......on 21 minutes. It all starts with a poor pass by Graham in midfield. The Ipswich player intercepts and threads the ball through our entire defence...….I think it's OK for Raya to come out and clear....but it should have been into the stands. I gave it poor rather than terrible...……..it's all about opinions though! I've edited the lowlights to cover this..

Edited by tonyoz

Really interesting read and many thanks for taking the time to do this.

An observation, not a criticism - it seems keeper & defender errors come under more scrutiny because of the goal threat, whereas players in more forward positions get off a bit lighter. But this ain’t nothing new ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyoz said:

Yes......on 21 minutes. It all starts with a poor pass by Graham in midfield. The Ipswich player intercepts and threads the ball through our entire defence...….I think it's OK for Raya to come out and clear....but it should have been into the stands. I gave it poor rather than terrible...……..it's all about opinions though! I've edited the lowlights to cover this..

I agree but i do think Raya's kicking is much improved. There was one really brilliant one to Danny Graham (I think), but in  general, he has improved in that area.

4 hours ago, DE. said:

Interesting, thanks for this. Shows that our back line (Lenihan excepted) are all prone to mistakes, which we knew going into the season. That's why I would have liked to have seen some strengthening there but we seem obsessed with central midfielders instead. Palmer's contribution really was poor when he came on - nonexistent save for that glaring miss. Even Nuttall had more impact and he was getting a lot more criticism. I suppose if Palmer had fitness problems going into the match that might explain it, but then why bring him on at all if he wasn't ready? 

Yes, bad error from the manager. Should never have played and no way should Dack have come off.

11 hours ago, john.leigh said:

An observation, not a criticism - it seems keeper & defender errors come under more scrutiny because of the goal threat, whereas players in more forward positions get off a bit lighter. But this ain’t nothing new ?

Yes, I agree. Should Evans blast over the bar be rated “terrible”? I thought about it but........it was typical of Cory.....not unexpected at all. So in a weird way I didn’t see it as terrible ......only typically mediocre. ?

10 hours ago, duckson said:

Williams lost his man for the first AND got under the ball, that’s a red * for me. 

Hah! If you look at the second post here, you will see that I did indeed give Williams a “red” initially! But, on reflection, I thought the ball in was so good......it beat everyone hands down. I changed my rating to “poor”.