BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

12 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

To me the team picks itself for Millwall. 

-------------Raya----------

Nyambe------Lenihan---Mulgrew---William

----------Smallwood---Evans--------

Bennett---------Dack--------Armstrong

----------------Graham------------------

Use Davenport, Palmer for game time. Get Davenport slowly ready to replace Evans in the long run. Palmer will need to make an impact. 

Our actually found it very difficult to pick our midfield! With Rothwell, Davenport, Palmer, all of them have an argument to get into that team. Very excited about the midfield area. 

Have to say for me midfield is our weakest area, how Evan's is still playing for us just baffles me.

I'd rather see Bennett moved inside with Smallwood, and Play Palmer as one of the "front four".

I just hope we get after them tomorrow and attack them from the off.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Have to say for me midfield is our weakest area, how Evan's is still playing for us just baffles me.

I'd rather see Bennett moved inside with Smallwood, and Play Palmer as one of the "front four".

Agreed - Evans was poor for most of last season (had the odd good game). Was also poor last time we were in the championship. I'd play Bennett and Smallwood. But Mowbray won't.

I thought Travis had been a standout performer in pre-season? Seems to have been dropped now the season has started.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Evans seems set to play out his entire career at Ewood whether he's good, bad or indifferent and whoever the manager and whatever the league. Never been my cup of tea, more for the type of player he is rather than the guy himself, they've been obsessed at Rovers ever since we dropped out of top tier with having two defensive deep sitting mids.  It really is time to freshen that area it's hardly been a raging success it was a weak link when we had a load of good players and top strikers along with the centre of defence and Evans was part of it.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Evans is out of contract next summer, be interesting to see what happens there as like others have said Mowbray clearly likes him, I look at him and think he is blocking people like Travis & Davenport coming into the side, I'm pretty sure they (especially Travis) can do exactly what Evans has been doing for the last 5 years.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Neal said:

Was looking forward to going with my dad but totally forgot that we have my niece birthday party to attend... Does anyone know if this is due to be broadcast anywhere? 

Not scheduled for tv broadcast abroad , so only available on ifollow

28 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Evans is out of contract next summer, be interesting to see what happens there as like others have said Mowbray clearly likes him, I look at him and think he is blocking people like Travis & Davenport coming into the side, I'm pretty sure they (especially Travis) can do exactly what Evans has been doing for the last 5 years.

I'm pretty sure they would do more than Evans has been doing!

He offers no protection, like Lowe he just runs around a lot ineffectually. He doesn't get into many goal scoring positions, much less gets goals. He isn't creative at all and keep things ticking over in the midfield. I'm not sure what he actually does, whatsoever. Granted he's got decent technique, but League 1 is his level imo.

Mind you, compared with Gladwin and Whittingham, at least Evans had some impact last year, and with no proper wingers/wide players, it looks like Bennett won't be moving inside anytime soon. Shame as I think Bennett/Smallwood combination would make us rather resilient at this level.

Also aren't Evans's wages huge for us? Am sure he was on £10K+ and one of the top earners in league 1. With our limited resources that could definitely be spent elsewhere more effectively.

Little disappointed not to see an extra additions to the club yesterday, however not a fan of panic buying.  As long as the squad can add some talent be it on loan or loan/to buy we should be fine.  The capture of Armstrong is massive, young, hungry and determined to prove his previous club wrong just like a previous Geordie with a point to prove.  In this video I managed to scramble a chat together with Nick Hart of the Achtung! Millwall podcast to talk about all things Millwall and much more. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Biz said:

Why do we “need” to win on Saturday? 

I think we "need" to win tomorrow, it would take the pressure of and give us a really solid start. Conversely the longer we go without the first win the more the pressure builds.

Coincidentally Allardyce was interviewed on Talksport yesterday morning and was asked about the prospects for the promoted teams in the Premiership. He said he'd done his research when he was at Bolton etc and in his view the key to survival for promoted Clubs was putting as many points on the board as possible during the first ten games. He said wherever he'd been that they had more points than games during that period They'd been comfortable. Whenever They'd started with seven or eight points from the first ten They'd only survived in the last couple of games of the Sea son.

6 hours ago, tomphil said:

I think it's absolutely nailed on he'll get another good deal, upside is we might get some decent back to back performances whilst he earns it in the next few months.

For someone on an alleged 16k per week the absolute minimum we should expect from him is to absolutely bust his balls every match. Unfortunately i see little evidence of this. Just think about that - 16k per week. 16k PER WEEK . Multiply that up per month, per year. And he got a 3 yr contract. Unblieveable what bang average players get. No wonder he bottles tackles, another juicy contract on the horizon, wouldnt want to jeopardise that. Nice lad though, good in the dressing room, so Tony Picks him.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

What’s that - having the occasional decent game in 10 (spend the rest either injured or like a crab) and then play consistent blinders for your country?

17 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

What’s that - having the occasional decent game in 10 (spend the rest either injured or like a crab) and then play consistent blinders for your country?

I think he was one of our best players in the last couple of months last season. A view Mowbray has publically agreed with.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think he was one of our best players in the last couple of months last season. A view Mowbray has publically agreed with.

He has been better but where has he been since he joined?

The talent has always been there, he is an international and has shown glimpses of quality throughout his career but never consistently. 

I'd have to question his desire.Could this upturn in form have anything to do with the fact he only has 1 year left on his contract?I guess yes 

Rovers twitter account shared a video of the last time we played.

Think it was meant to be uplifting and positive, but it had a bit of the opposite effect on me!

Some of the names in that team... how didn’t we get promoted at a canter!?

• Like 1

Just now, islander200 said:

He has been better but where has he been since he joined?

The talent has always been there, he is an international and has shown glimpses of quality throughout his career but never consistently. 

I'd have to question his desire.Could this upturn in form have anything to do with the fact he only has 1 year left on his contract?I guess yes 

His main problem is and always will be injuries. He has always shown composure, he is neat and tidy, and quite intelligent. Never gets a prolonged run in the side hence the lack of consistency. 

If I remember, he was a breath of fresh air when he came into the side, and he has had spells and games, I remember the Forest game at home in our last Championship season, he was very good.

Towards the end of last season, he played quite a few games in a row for a couple of months and really got into his stride. 

Not sure its just a lack of desire, more a lack of fitness over a length period of time.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

His main problem is and always will be injuries. He has always shown composure, he is neat and tidy, and quite intelligent. Never gets a prolonged run in the side hence the lack of consistency. 

If I remember, he was a breath of fresh air when he came into the side, and he has had spells and games, I remember the Forest game at home in our last Championship season, he was very good.

Towards the end of last season, he played quite a few games in a row for a couple of months and really got into his stride. 

Not sure its just a lack of desire, more a lack of fitness over a length period of time.

Ok yeah I suppose I could buy that but at the same time if he can't be consistent and can't get over these injurys and niggles then we shouldn't be looking to retain him when his contract ends

I agree he was good toward the end of last season and out of the two in midfield last Saturday I thought he was much better.

• Like 1