BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

In my opinion, decent performance, Graham unlucky twice, Dack looked good and should/could have 2 assists for Graham’s chances and unlucky not to bury the freekick. Palmer and Rothwell promising.

Full backs refused to get forward once for some reason, (under instructions not to?) and bennett is devoid of anything that isn’t work rate.

And as i argued on the transfer forum, to no avail it seemed, doesn’t matter how many midfielders we have, if Smallwood/Evans combination is the best we can muster, we simply have to sign another one, if not 2, neither capable of passing the ball anywhere remotely forward.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

This will be an unpopular opinion but Travis needs a season on loan he needs to learn the game in his short spell today his decision making was bothersome although he has the attributes.

Agreed, he looked a bit lost when he came on. A year in League 1 or 2 would do him the world of good.

33 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Around 14k have forgotten Rovers exist again between the last home game in May and now, that's some going and it isn't all down to price.

Annoying !

The way it is these days.

We just aren’t going to get the crowds we’d all like to see for mid table Championship football with £300-£400 season tickets.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I think people have short memories if they think todays performance was any different to a lot of home games from last season. W started slowly like we mostly always do at home under Mowbray and then we grew into the game. Millwall were hanging on for most of the 2nd half, even if our final ball did let us down on nearly every occasion. 

Impressed with Palmer, he just always had time and if they got too close to him he left them for dead. His final ball was poor at times but I think a lot of that was to do with lack of movement ahead of him. A class act. Him and Dack had a good understanding but i'm not sure of the merit of 5 yard training passes and showboating when your 0-0 at home. 

Rothwell  looks a player too. That run and shot deserved a goal.

Dack looks overweight. He'll be clinically obese within a month of retiring. Olivia beware! He tried but it didn't really happen for him. He'll get better as the season goes on. We lack a central midfielder who can pass it better than Smallwood and so Dack kept having to come deep to get involved. 

Mowbray was bollocking Raya most of the 1st half. I think he gave up after Raya hoiked it out of play for the 12th time. 

Lenny was immense. Mulgrew looked a bit dodgy at times. Nyambe was quiet but never troubled. Same with Bell, I thought he was fairly average. 

Evans I thought played well. Always harrying the oppo and playing some intelligent balls. Smallwood didn't do a lot. His lack of mobility really hampers him. 

Graham was poor. Two gilt-edged chances  he should have done a lot better with. On the plus side I thought he looked a bit quicker than last year.

Millwall were physical and quick and worked hard but I thought we had the better players, which is a good sign considering Millwall finished 9th last season and should have beat Boro last week by all accounts. 

Their keeper was brilliant. Any other game and we would have scored three. 

Hopefully the person who was carried out of their end on a stretcher at HT is ok. 

All in all very encouraging after we woke up. We controlled the game 2nd half and were always pushing forward. The lack of guile was evident again like it was last season but hopefully Palmer will help with that. There's not a lot to fear in this league if mid-table is our ambition. 

Very much agree, saved me from writing a review :) 

I agree with Bennett should replace Smallwood in the center. Palmer will be an excellent addition. So calm with the ball and can easily beat any defender with tricks and pace. He was though guilty of 3-4 through ball where we lost posession. 

12 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

The way it is these days.

We just aren’t going to get the crowds we’d all like to see for mid table Championship football with £300-£400 season tickets.

Very true, we used to have an 8k hardcore many of who weren't always active but now it's 12k most of who have remained active since the Venky / Anderson & Co circus began so credit where it's due.

Some of the rest though .... meh !

A lot that can be said both posaitive and negative, but the one glaring thing during the entire game is we have zero width.

We are crying out for a wideman ☹️

So congested in the centre with everyone drifting inside

I enjoyed the second half a lot. 

Positives: clean sheet, not being outclassed, Palmer and Joe Rochina are substantial upgrades on Payne and Antonsson, back 4, Benno’s versatility, nothing for Raya to save in 2nd half.

Negatives: Graham missing two one-on-ones (both of which I felt Armstrong would’ve scored), Charlie’s free kicks, soft in the middle for both their post-hitting efforts, Smallwood, scout tent in Darwen End.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Home draws are, that's for sure.

Anyone who watched the match today. A match where we played against last seasons 8th placed team. A game where the opposition keeper was undoubtedly their mom. Will feel quietly confident that we are going to be fine this year. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

In my opinion, decent performance, Graham unlucky twice, Dack looked good and should/could have 2 assists for Graham’s chances and unlucky not to bury the freekick. Palmer and Rothwell promising.

Full backs refused to get forward once for some reason, (under instructions not to?) and bennett is devoid of anything that isn’t work rate.

And as i argued on the transfer forum, to no avail it seemed, doesn’t matter how many midfielders we have, if Smallwood/Evans combination is the best we can muster, we simply have to sign another one, if not 2, neither capable of passing the ball anywhere remotely forward.

They arent there to be creative. Our front 4 are.

Edited by Bepeja43

14 minutes ago, Bepeja43 said:

If we emulate Bolton last season, that would be success.

I think we should establish ourselves in this league. You think we should just survive,

Each to their own.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1