BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Maybe that's because he hasn't found the right player within our budget to play that Role.

I mean he brought Whittingham in last season to presumably play deep lying playmaker

The USA player he wanted? Defensive midfielder. Its how he sees it.

35 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Agree with some of that but few questions:

Do you think Bennett needs to do more going forward? Won it back loads but his crossing was dreadful. And that maybe he would be better in the centre over Smallwood, who was really poor?

Do you think that Palmer looked out of position on the wing? And took far too many risks?

Do you not think that we were very poor for more than just 10 minutes, more so the first 44? 

Do you not think excellent is an exaggeration?

Agree that Graham should have scored, that we started slowly and that Rothwell was a bright spark.

I felt Bennett did well in forward position and I felt the crossing from all players needed to be better.

I felt Palmer at times did well with staying wide and move inside at the right times 1st half. Second half he roam far too much for me. But I felt after 65/70 mins Millwall shut up shop and took the point with no attacking threat. Always felt this was a tough game due to their style, tactics and size of their side

No I felt the 10 mins we were poor but after that I felt it was more of even game 1st half. We played well during that period but The defending for Morrison shot was appalling. 

Nope

Rothwell look quick, tricky and offer a deffo threat from the left. Has your opinion on him change?

Edited by chaddyrovers

20 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Maybe that's because he hasn't found the right player within our budget to play that Role.

I mean he brought Whittingham in last season to presumably play deep lying playmaker

I think Davenport was brought in with the same deep-lying playmaker role in mind, just that TM thinks he isn't quite ready for it yet and wants someone who is.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tom said:

Crikey it’s worrying when Chaddy expects us to be in a relegation battle....

I didn't write it properly. 

my point being was we wont be involved in a relegation battle. I expect a mid table finish at worst. would be happy with a 14th place finish

• Like 2

I dont think the problem is evans and smallwood being deep lying. That bits fine, its the fact neither makes a pass forward or further than 10 yards.

They are both mega risk averse with their passing. We need a deep lying defensive midfilder that can take a ball in traffic and pick a forward pass

• Like 2

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I didn't write it properly. 

my point being was we wont be involved in a relegation battle. I expect a mid table finish at worst. would be happy with a 14th place finish

I think we have enough to be ok, we don’t want to be looking over our shoulders at any point though so would be lovely to have a good start and get the first win quickly 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I felt Bennett did well in forward position and I felt the crossing from all players needed to be better.

I felt Palmer at times did well with staying wide and move inside at the right times 1st half. Second half he roam far too much for me. But I felt after 65/70 mins Millwall shut up shop and took the point with no attacking threat. Always felt this was a tough game due to their style, tactics and size of their side

No I felt the 10 mins we were poor but after that I felt it was more of even game 1st half. We played well during that period but The defending for Morrison shot was appalling. 

Nope

Rothwell look quick, tricky and offer a deffo threat from the left. Has your opinion on him change?

Not really an answer. Did you think he did enough in an attacking sense last season?

The reason for the roaming is he isnt a winger. His end product was poor so he seemingly wandered to get more involved. Hopefully he will improve. And its an away point for them, its down to the home team to break them down, and we failed on that sadly by failing to get a winner.

We offered no attacking threat during the first 44 minutes, our passing was appalling and we couldnt keep the ball. Second half, different team.

Must be easily impressed. Awful first half, much better second is for me a more balanced review.

No, not really. I was encouraged by his cameo, looked to impress, but it was only 25 minutes. Especially if we sign players, im unsure how much game time he will get. 

That said, I think he probably did more good in his 25 than Palmer did in 65, therefore I'd start him next week on the left, with Armstrong on the right. Bennett would play alongside Evans, with Smallwood also dropped.

1 minute ago, Tom said:

I think we have enough to be ok, we don’t want to be looking over our shoulders at any point though so would be lovely to have a good start and get the first win quickly 

Correct, and something Mowbray touched on afterwards by saying that until you get that first win you face the same questions.

I think if we win at Hull its a good start, otherwise its the start of a catch up situation, one we have had in the last 2 seasons.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Not really an answer. Did you think he did enough in an attacking sense last season?

The reason for the roaming is he isnt a winger. His end product was poor so he seemingly wandered to get more involved. Hopefully he will improve. And its an away point for them, its down to the home team to break them down, and we failed on that sadly by failing to get a winner.

We offered no attacking threat during the first 44 minutes, our passing was appalling and we couldnt keep the ball. Second half, different team.

Must be easily impressed. Awful first half, much better second is for me a more balanced review.

No, not really. I was encouraged by his cameo, looked to impress, but it was only 25 minutes. Especially if we sign players, im unsure how much game time he will get. 

That said, I think he probably did more good in his 25 than Palmer did in 65, therefore I'd start him next week on the left, with Armstrong on the right. Bennett would play alongside Evans, with Smallwood also dropped.

Well firstly I have answered your Bennett point already last season. My answer is still the Yes. 

Ali isn't a natural wide player but still give Newcastle right back Yedlin a trouble time. Palmer will learn otherwise he wont be playing. 

I disagree. WE offered some attacking threat without a killer pass. We just have to agree to disagree. 

Not thought on the Hull game yet

First off, I’ll hold my hands up and admit that Evans was one of our best players today. I’ve no problem with him starting if he carries on like that.

Apart from that,we started nervously but played some good football second half. 

Every game is going to be tough this season but I think we’ve got some skilful players who will threaten. Desperately need a striker to help graham who wasn’t having any luck today.

• Like 3

Well not the perfect result for Rovers but we should not underestimate Millwall, very organized team who could have been 2-0 up at half time.  Trust in Mowbray, I am loving the look of HIS project.  Some amazing youngsters on the books these days, away with the deadbeats/quick fixes that were brought in by Coyle, Lambert and Co.  Give Mowbray 2 - 3 years and we will be competing with the teams at the top end of the table.  Of course we want to be back in the premier league, but I would rather return as a stronger more settled team with a future. Thoughts & more. 

6 hours ago, FGS5635 said:

I dont think the problem is evans and smallwood being deep lying. That bits fine, its the fact neither makes a pass forward or further than 10 yards.

They are both mega risk averse with their passing. We need a deep lying defensive midfilder that can take a ball in traffic and pick a forward pass

Same with Evans and Lowe, same will Willowe etc etc it's long been a bugbear of mine and in this division I feel its been one of the contributing factors to holding us back when we might have done better.  About time we dug out a proper centre midfielder from somewhere especially if there are funds, a freshen up in the type of player in there is long overdue.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bepeja43 said:

If we emulate Bolton last season, that would be success.

@#/?, we have.to aim higher than that.  That said a relegation scrap keeps things.more exciting than mid table mediocrity.

I just feel listening to Mowbary we are on the cusp of something good.  I just love the way he speaks of the game, players, fans he loves football.  I think we are in caring hands for the first time since Bowyer, Bowyer but better.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MillwallSE16 said:

From a Millwall perspective I thought it was a pretty poor game with not much quality.

Palmer was the best player on the pitch by far, glad to see Mowbray take him off.

Thought we bossed the first 20, then you came back into it, think overall we edged the first 45 - Morison should have scored, harder to miss!

2nd half , apart from a 5-10 min spell was all Blackburn - overall 0-0 summed it up

Dack & Armstrong looked overweight (maybe it's because they are small?) 

A Mid table finish for us with such a small budget will do just fine. You'll stay up and I think you'll be competing with us for that mid table finish

And that drummer away to our left needs shooting !

Pretty much how I saw it tbf. I think Armstrong has that small and stocky look to him and Dack’s massive arse also makes him look more overweight :) 

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Palmer was the reason we got back in the game, he was the only one getting us up the pitch and in their half in the opening 45 minutes. Harris ended up putting two on him in the end because he was getting passed their left-back at will and eventually one of his crossed would have connected. 

• Like 1

Palmer needed to stray wide. He had that full back beat 1 v 1 with ease, yet he started to got cocky and drift inside. Made him way easier to mark and he became none effective.

Its not his natural game to be wide, but its where we need him and he certainly looks like he has the skill set to do it well at this level

15 hours ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

Hard to say but I think a draw was probably a fair result.  The Morrison shot that hit the inside of the post looked bound to go in from where we were stood. A poor first half but second was very different.  I’d be disappointed to see Williams come back in for Bell as he did pretty well.  Dack’s first half free kick was met by a great save, Rothwell had a great shot.  I think people are being a touch harsh on Graham as he did well to get to the ball and hold off the defenders for his two chances, first one he realized just too late that he should have passed to Dack, Millwall keeper did well too, though obviously would have expected DG to put at least one of them away.  It’s easy to overreact but Millwall did also play in the game and did so well in the first half.  Palmer looked good but not much end product yet, he also started to get more and more out of position and stopped defending so that’s why TM took him off.  Midfield needs someone who can pass, the manager knows this I think so hopefully the loanee we get is a good one, a real shame we didn’t go for McGinn earlier, sounds perfect.

I wouldn’t worry too much at this stage, we were pretty good first game and showed in patches we can play today.  We will get at least another couple of players, hopefully ones that will go straight into the team.  Ind My think anyone was particularly bad today though.

Great post, also just to add their goalkeeper was man of the match on their forums and got a special mention from their manager Neil Harris, which also backs up the stats page.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

Palmer needed to stray wide. He had that full back beat 1 v 1 with ease, yet he started to got cocky and drift inside. Made him way easier to mark and he became none effective.

Its not his natural game to be wide, but its where we need him and he certainly looks like he has the skill set to do it well at this level

They doubled up on him at the end of the 1st half and when he came back out he was playing more central. I presume that was a tactical change by Mowbray? On RL after the game he said Dack and Palmer were like a circus act in training the way they interact with the ball. He meant it as a compliment. They certainly seemed to look to pass to each other. We have two quality players there if Dack can lose two stone quite quickly! In the post-match stuff Mogga commented on Rothwell and Palmer said that if players don't run they'll be sat on the bench. Maybe that's why Palmer came off but I thought we missed his presence when he left the pitch.