BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - Success or Failure

I can't believe the lack of faith in the manager. Most of you know my feelings of the owners and how critical I've been of the club over the years but this guy has earned the right for us to trust him. Now I'm not saying people shouldn't be dissapointed but to make out that it's been a disaster, horrific or a shambles is a massive over reaction in my view... Especially as we can still bring in players and simply sign them in 4 1/2 months, whilst giving them extra motivation to earn their contract. I'm pretty sure Mowbray has even discussed testing clubs late in the window to get better value for money. 

Its been a long time since we've had a decent enough manager in charge that we can actually trust. Today has been an indication of what type of quality he wants to bring in, surely we can take the positives from that? To have a manager with actual aspirations is something we've been robbed of for 8 years... So trust him for gods sake, he's earned it. Yeah, signings might not have come off but if we pull of some great loans with agreements in place before the end of the month I guarantee we'll have less folk complaining. 

In Mowbray I trust. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Biz said:

Or we’ve just unsettled two good players at our near rivals.

This thread is misleading also. The loan window is still open for championship clubs. 

In terms of overall permenant additions, little underwhelmed but happy we’ve got Armstrong back. I echo those who say 2 loans on top of the prior business would bring us up to speed.

Gallagher and Anthony Pilkington please. 

Surely its a very far fetched theory to suggest that we spent the last 24 hours of the window trying to unsettle rival players rather than actually filling the voids in our own squad.

We apparently had money to spend, hence the quotes by Mowbray and the bids for Freeman and Brereton, surely its natural to be disappointing that the money wasnt spent sooner, well at all. I'm not saying that signing players is easy but by not bringing in someone to fill the obvious voids, at least some of them, is dissapointed and due to the lateness of them bids, its natural to question the strategy of the manager. Doesn't mean hes not done a good job etc, but as an individual criticism, its IMO fair.

In regards to them 2 targets, Pilkington isnt the direct winger we need, nor is Gallagher an effective target man.

Failure we've done exactly what I feared we would do when we got promoted which was fail to strengthen significantly. We are barley any better than last season, a relegation battle beckons, no width and one striker.

It looks to me that Mowbray has been given a good budget but simply didn't know how to spend it, he kept talking about A lists B list and so on but it looks like he had so many lists he didn't know which list to use and we were scrambling about on the final day just trying to sign one player despite Mowbray earlier in the week saying he wanted 4-5 players. I also don't buy the argument that Mowbray won't pay over the odds for a player given last season he paid £500k for Samuel and £300K for a reserve left back.

As I said on the transfer thread,  totally underwhelming. Can't believe we haven't brought in one slightly better player in a position where we needed improvement. Yes there may still be loans to come but now was when signings were needed not in 3 weeks time

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bepeja43 said:

IF..

Yes. If.

And you are absolutely blowing your top and losing your shit assuming we won’t.

That is also an “If”

I also think Palmer/Rothwell will be better than Antonsson/Payne. Can’t say for sure yet, but neither can those who say we are weaker.

Edited by S8 & Blue

• Backroom

Based on previous windows? Success.

Based on my own expectations, not a failure but certainly underwhelmed thus far.

Need to be canny in the loan market now, with hopefully some disguised purchases.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Surely its a very far fetched theory to suggest that we spent the last 24 hours of the window trying to unsettle rival players rather than actually filling the voids in our own squad.

We apparently had money to spend, hence the quotes by Mowbray and the bids for Freeman and Brereton, surely its natural to be disappointing that the money wasnt spent sooner, well at all. I'm not saying that signing players is easy but by not bringing in someone to fill the obvious voids, at least some of them, is dissapointed and due to the lateness of them bids, its natural to question the strategy of the manager. Doesn't mean hes not done a good job etc, but as an individual criticism, its IMO fair.

In regards to them 2 targets, Pilkington isnt the direct winger we need, nor is Gallagher an effective target man.

It’s more far fetched to base your entire opinion on our transfer activity on media reports in my opinion. I’d suggest a few leaks near the end came genuinely from moving target or attempting to get other teams to react. I don’t pretend to know the entire ins and outs of the transfer world. Both could’ve been agent leaks.

Pilkington is a winger with games at this level, and Gallagher will get, has got better than when we last had - backup to Graham I think works. Both my opinion again.

1 minute ago, S8 & Blue said:

Yes. If.

That is also an “If”

Everybody assumed rovers would strengthen (other than the two unproven players) in this window, it didnt happen..so yes im going with a big IF. I wouldnt bank on anything significant happening in the loan window either

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Yes. If.

That is also an “If”

I also think Palmer/Rothwell will be better than Antonsson/Payne. Can’t say for sure yet, but neither can those who say we are weaker.

'If' suggests you aren't 100% confident.. You are right in that respect not to be.

Just now, Neal said:

I can't believe the lack of faith in the manager. Most of you know my feelings of the owners and how critical I've been of the club over the years but this guy has earned the right for us to trust him. Now I'm not saying people shouldn't be dissapointed but to make out that it's been a disaster, horrific or a shambles is a massive over reaction in my view... Especially as we can still bring in players and simply sign them in 4 1/2 months, whilst giving them extra motivation to earn their contract. I'm pretty sure Mowbray has even discussed testing clubs late in the window to get better value for money. 

Its been a long time since we've had a decent enough manager in charge that we can actually trust. Today has been an indication of what type of quality he wants to bring in, surely we can take the positives from that? To have a manager with actual aspirations is something we've been robbed of for 8 years... So trust him for gods sake, he's earned it. Yeah, signings might not have come off but if we pull of some great loans with agreements in place before the end of the month I guarantee we'll have less folk complaining. 

In Mowbray I trust. 

Obviously hyperbole is natural, a horrific window is an exaggeration, of that il give you. And there is, on both sides of the argument, people who exaggerate and are unreasonable.

But you can judge individual aspects of the managers performance without losing total faith in him. Just as if he picks a questionable team, or makes questionable subs on Saturday and we lose, people will criticise him. Or if he signs Adam Armstrong, or if he gets us a win with the correct team or a clever sub, he will get praise. Just like I can credit Coyle for signing Mulgrew, and I never had faith in him at any point.

I don't understand why people are so reluctant to criticise when he does make mistakes, or does things that could be interpreted in a negative way. He said he had money, had targets, and hes not got them over the line. Its ok to say that. But ive not seen one person suggesting that they want him sacked or anything, so its not fair to suggest that so many have lost faith in him.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Biz said:

It’s more far fetched to base your entire opinion on our transfer activity on media reports in my opinion. I’d suggest a few leaks near the end came genuinely from moving target or attempting to get other teams to react. I don’t pretend to know the entire ins and outs of the transfer world. Both could’ve been agent leaks.

Pilkington is a winger with games at this level, and Gallagher will get, has got better than when we last had - backup to Graham I think works. Both my opinion again.

But he said we had money, so even if they weren't targets, he has said he has money and not spent any since he said it. But if he had it, why leave it so late, and if that was the case and he had all these lists of targets, why couldnt he get any over the line?

So has Conway but experience in the league is not enough. I would prefer someone more dynamic and capable of stretching the play. 

Gallagher, has he got better, he was much worse last season. And he isnt the focal point we need for our better players to work off, Dack, Armstrong, Palmer etc. When Graham inevitably comes off most weeks, we need someone similar. Games like on Saturday where we need to game manage, Gallagher would have been as ineffective as Nuttall at holding it up.

Based on the available budget it's been a shitshow. The first time since K**n we've had a good budget and we couldn't even spend it. It came across as a bit scattergun and desperate today. 

Happy with the signings made (Rothwell and Davenport have potential, Armstrong is a natural finisher and Palmer has already got promoted out of this league)

Are we better off now than at the end of las season? Not a lot in it unfortunately.

Hoping for better from the loan market. 

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 7

as much as I enjoy watching this MB consume itself with opinions grand and weak, I would think by now any discussion piece that questions success or not is meaningless without a poll...  ?

that said, while I will reserve my opinions (for now) until the end of the month, as far as I'm concerned, NOT signing Jason Lowe again is by far the best news of the entire window

• Like 1

The signings that we have made I am pleased with.

Since Armstrong signed it has been a shambles.

Overall 5 out of 10

Loan window to come: well everyone knows the 5 mill figure so if looking to the PL expect to spunk a chunk of that in inflated fees and most of the wages.

19 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Disastrous window for me to date. Imo we needed 2 strikers 2 wingers and a big nasty CB with experience at Championship level. We've brought in one of the five in Armstrong.

Even by the Club's own admission it must go down as a disappointing window. We were told all summer after Rothwell and Davenport came in that we were looking to bring in 4 more, 2 on permanent deals and 2 on loan so by that yardstick we're a player short already. TM also spoke at that point of bringing in some Championship experience and that hasn't happened either.

I'm also really annoyed that we've let Wharton go out on loan and have not replaced him. So we'll probably have to spend money and waste one of our loan slots bringi g in a young CB on loan to errrr......replace the young CB we let go out on Loan. Genius!

There are four players we need to cryogenically freeze and wrap in cotton wool and hope they stay injury free this season, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Dack and Graham. Injuries to any of those players for any length of time and we'll be goosed.

Maybe we can salvage the situation slightly in the loan window. Let's hope so.

Agree with all of that Rev.  It was the hyperbole from the club about incomings/budgets/quality transfers etc.  I think TM and Waggott were a little overconfident.  If we had a plan, it didn't come off.  We had a great opportunity to push on and really build on promotion.  A couple of marquee signings would have done wonders for our season.  Certainly pushed us towards the top half.  

Feels like that opportunity/momentum has been lost.  

I wonder if TM is one of these managers who is better operating on a shoe string?

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

It’s been disappointing so far, there’s obviously a chance to turn it around with loans and loans with an option to purchase, if that’s really a thing?

Bottom line for me- we’ve had enough time to get deals sorted and we haven’t. That’s not hyperbole/overreaction/spitting my dummy out, just the cold hard facts.

• Like 6