BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - Success or Failure

How many loan signings can we add? Can we get the 4 or 5 Mowbray wanted or are we now further restricted by a loan quota?

Expect the 31/8 to come and go with a couple of short term loans without buy options and then it will be wait until January when we've money left to strengthen. Always on the never never with this lot.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But he said we had money, so even if they weren't targets, he has said he has money and not spent any since he said it. But if he had it, why leave it so late, and if that was the case and he had all these lists of targets, why couldnt he get any over the line?

So has Conway but experience in the league is not enough. I would prefer someone more dynamic and capable of stretching the play. 

Gallagher, has he got better, he was much worse last season. And he isnt the focal point we need for our better players to work off, Dack, Armstrong, Palmer etc. When Graham inevitably comes off most weeks, we need someone similar. Games like on Saturday where we need to game manage, Gallagher would have been as ineffective as Nuttall at holding it up.

I agree that it could’ve been better but I’m not criticising us for trying to sign players.

Id rather we use the pragmatic approach anyway. Funds are never going to be groundbreaking under the Rao’s and our turnover is pitiful. 

It also think the market is grossly underestimated as “easy”, 5m doesn’t just buy you a better squad, Opportunity comes and goes. We all know 7m, or any fee can buy both good and bad players. 

If we are talking window as a whole, it’s hard to forget the factor of the new contracts and keeping all our best players too.

Just now, K-Hod said:

It’s been disappointing so far, there’s obviously a chance to turn it around with loans and loans with an option to purchase, if that’s really a thing?

Bottom line for me- we’ve had enough time to get deals sorted and we haven’t. That’s not hyperbole/overreaction/spitting my dummy out, just the cold hard facts.

Depends if our budget was upped later in the window seems to have been a shift lately. 

• Like 1

At the moment, it’s a poor window.

As happy as I am with the signings of Rothwell, Davenport, Armstrong and Palmer, we are still a Danny Graham injury away from seriously struggling.

This has to be addressed through the loan market and you would hope Mowbray has something lined up already. 

Just now, davulsukur said:

At the moment, it’s a poor window.

As happy as I am with the signings of Rothwell, Davenport, Armstrong and Palmer, we are still a Danny Graham injury away from seriously struggling.

This has to be addressed through the loan market and you would hope Mowbray has something lined up already. 

I really would doubt that Davul if our last ditch attempts for this Forest lad are anything to go by. 

Just now, JHRover said:

Means there's always been talk about cash being available and can be spent, always getting put off to a later date and never actually gets spent.

2m in this window so far potential more in loans, last summer he said he had a bit left for January and they added Bell, Downing and a loan. Recent history would contradict what you’re suggesting.

I find it hard to see any consistency in the owners actions bar the last 18 months of “sleep” mode.

14 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

The signings that we have made I am pleased with.

Since Armstrong signed it has been a shambles.

Overall 5 out of 10

Loan window to come: well everyone knows the 5 mill figure so if looking to the PL expect to spunk a chunk of that in inflated fees and most of the wages.

That's the bit that worries me.  We had the chance to make an unexpected big purchase and failed miserably.  Now everyone is aware we aren't as skint as we cracked on,  so prices will rise accordingly.  

1 minute ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

That's the bit that worries me.  We had the chance to make an unexpected big purchase and failed miserably.  Now everyone is aware we aren't as skint as we cracked on,  so prices will rise accordingly.  

Or will be more prepared to sign loan to buy deals thinking we’ve got cash to spend if we want their players.

Transfer activity is all smoke and mirrors.

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I really would doubt that Davul if our last ditch attempts for this Forest lad are anything to go by. 

It looked like we got desperate with those bids today but I’m hoping he has backup loan options in the pipeline but this is looking more like wishful thinking 

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Wigan showed today that there was value in the market getting Windass  and Garner for around £3.5 million combined. Both would have been good additions for us in positions that we needed signings in, instead we bid 5 million for an unproven teenager.

Nah people would still moan if we signed both these guys, especially Garner.

23 minutes ago, Biz said:

I agree that it could’ve been better but I’m not criticising us for trying to sign players.

Id rather we use the pragmatic approach anyway. Funds are never going to be groundbreaking under the Rao’s and our turnover is pitiful. 

It also think the market is grossly underestimated as “easy”, 5m doesn’t just buy you a better squad, Opportunity comes and goes. We all know 7m, or any fee can buy both good and bad players. 

If we are talking window as a whole, it’s hard to forget the factor of the new contracts and keeping all our best players too.

No im criticising for not getting signings done, yes it isnt easy but if you have the money, as he said he did, lists of targets, and dont bring any in then it is a dissapointment, something I think youve acknowledged in fairness.

Agreed on that plus Armstrong is a big plus. All points I did acknowledge in the opening post, there are positives but overall I am dissapointed because in quite a few areas we havent strengthened. That said I reckon Mowbray will be frustrated or dissapointed himself.

4 out of 10 for me.

We desperately need quality reinforcements in a number of positions and have failed to address those defects by signing anyone at all. I don't count Armstrong.

The team that won promotion and is likely to start most weeks depends entirely on the form and fitness of key players such as Graham, Dack, Mulgrew and Lenihan. Injuries or loss of form to any of them and we will struggle badly.

As it stands I see us finishing in the bottom 6

Contrast with Wolves and Fulham, who have spent heavily after their promotions.

10 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Wigan showed today that there was value in the market getting Windass  and Garner for around £3.5 million combined. Both would have been good additions for us in positions that we needed signings in, instead we bid 5 million for an unproven teenager.

Their both shite. Don't talk tosh.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

It looked like we got desperate with those bids today but I’m hoping he has backup loan options in the pipeline but this is looking more like wishful thinking 

Yup.  The fact that we offered £4 mil for a midfielder, then suddenly chucked £5 mil at a striker suggests we completely panicked.  It just seemed scattergun.  Ipswich got 6 or 7 through the door comfortably.

From the outset Mowbray wanted to add quality and players such as mcginn , freeman and the lad from forest I believe  represent this. 

Would I want Windass and garner ? If your looking at the present possibly and grudgingly yes. Are they significantly better than what we have? Debatable.

If your trying to build something the other three show more purpose and ambition and would have raised the overall  standard of the team. That I feel is what we should be aiming towards.

However I agree the end result leaves a feeling of deflation and anti climax. Maybe for Mowbray and Waggot when Speaking about transfer policy. They need to walk the walk when they talk the talk.

11 minutes ago, AAK said:

Their both shite. Don't talk tosh.

Garner for a million pound 10 goals last year in the Championship in 32 games. That's more than our current alternatives to Graham,(Samuel and Nuttall) managed combined in league 1 last season. As for Windass he has an eye for goal and something that we desperately lack which is pace.

9 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Yup.  The fact that we offered £4 mil for a midfielder, then suddenly chucked £5 mil at a striker suggests we completely panicked.  It just seemed scattergun.  Ipswich got 6 or 7 through the door comfortably.

Hurst had a clear plan sign players that he had seen last year that could be bought for a reasonable fee and could be improved. Whereas all Mowbray appeared to have was a few lists.

Edited by Ewood Ace