BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - Success or Failure

55 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

On talksport today. The Peterborough chairman said a club came in for maddison as 5pm with an offer of loan to buy. He said he'd had enough and would speak to the club involved Monday. 

Convinced this is us given how much we’ve been banging on about the ‘loan with a view’ market. Also the ‘had enough’ comment has the Vs written all over it.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Convinced this is us given how much we’ve been banging on about the ‘loan with a view’ market. Also the ‘had enough’ comment has the Vs written all over it.

From watching him I got the impression the 'had enough' comment was with the window as a whole, not the club makng the offer

May just be me, but it seemed to me he was a bit annoyed they didnt sell him for decent money before the window closed. He seemed a bit mad when discussing what others went for when in his opininion they are nowhere near as good as madison.

They spent big in league 1 terms. I think he did so thinking they would cash in on madison

2 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

From watching him I got the impression the 'had enough' comment was with the window as a whole, not the club makng the offer

May just be me, but it seemed to me he was a bit annoyed they didnt sell him for decent money before the window closed. He seemed a bit mad when discussing what others went for when in his opininion they are nowhere near as good as madison.

They spent big in league 1 terms. I think he did so thinking they would cash in on madison

Ah, could well be - I’ve only seen it in written format. There’s got to be a reason why clubs haven’t got him over the line. The attitude noise concerns me. 

1 minute ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Ah, could well be - I’ve only seen it in written format. There’s got to be a reason why clubs haven’t got him over the line. The attitude noise concerns me. 

He does mention his attitude. Cant remember his exact words, but he said his attitude is fine. But then he would say that I guess if he wants to sell him

Its a good insight into how crazy the window is. The kind of honesty and transparency you dont really get in the modern game

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Alan Nixon said that Money came available after about 2/3 weeks ago. He was surprise and abit sceptical. Now whether Mowbray and Waggott had talks with Venkys and they agree to increase the budget I don't know but I feel its a good possibility due to the cost of players market and crazy fees. (my view is in the Blue)

He said we got Armstrong for a good price and good deal for us. 

On Brereton bid, He said Forest bought in an agent to sell him on Wednesday the day before deadline day. He was offer to Rovers and on deadline day we bid for him but when Brereton found out he was being sold he said no he wanted to stay. But he wouldn't be shocked if we went back in for him on loan to permanent deal before the deadline

On Freeman bid, Rovers bid for him and as did Forest did. But the reason the deal didn't happen was because McClaren threated to walk out if he was sold as he is their best player. 

On Gallagher, Rovers did hold talks with Southampton about buying him but the fee they wanted was too high plus wages could be problem as he's on 24/25k a week. could be loan target. He said Gallagher should be asking for a loan move as he wont be playing but if he quite happy to stay there for the wages then its not a player you want to sign. 

I did miss about 1 minute of the comment about Rovers. I will upload a link later 

He said he thinks we will be active in the loan market and pref loaning with a view to buy.He was actually quite positive about us and said it we get the right striker in in his opinion we could have a good season. Let's just wait and see what happens but again if true why are Venkys leaving it so late to give further funds 

He also said the bids were 100% genuine and that the money is there.Said anyone doubting it and thinking it's just a ploy to try show the fans they are trying to be active are wrong.

Edited by islander200
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

According to you Nicko (who I know you hold in high esteem) Brereton was as shocked as anyone about the deal, so that through that thought out of the window.

Why wait until the summer for Bauer when we need a centre half now and if he has an excellent season this year there will be bigger clubs than us pursuing him.

What make you think we are going to bring players in on loan with a view to a permanent? One when was the last time we did that with anyone? And two why would a club loan a player out when they can use him until January and then sell him? He's had 3 months to bring your 3 players in on permeants or loans don't get your hopes up that he will in the next few weeks. 

Thats his new target. 

He expected 2/3 in yesterday and was waiting anxiously to gloat that he was right all along. It didnt happen so he now moves the goalposts. He EXPECTED 2 signings yesterday and told everyone else beforehand that it was going to happen and that we were all impatient and not trusting TM.

Now it will be the same until the 31st where he says he expects 2/3 loans to be permanent - lets see if that happens too.

21 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Am I reading this correctly? People still believe a word Nixon says or writes?

Well if we do believe him then Mowbray has only had a few weeks with this extra cash...this would tie in with the cheapish buys and then this sudden flurry of cash.

2 hours ago, J*B said:

The entire thought process behind "Venkys suddenly found some money" is totally insane. Venkys have benefited massively from the ban on beef in India for years now. The company is worth more than ever, however recently it's been announced the beef ban will soon be stopped. The future is uncertain for them, now would be an insane time to send us some random gift of money.

Not really, stack some money over here in some assets that might be worth double in a year or two whilst also avoiding some tax on your profits. Then if needed in a few years and your core business is struggling you've got some assets separate from it in a different country to cash in and pay back some of the money owed or more likely find a way of redirecting it to India without paying tax....again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Alan Nixon said that Money came available after about 2/3 weeks ago. He was surprise and abit sceptical. Now whether Mowbray and Waggott had talks with Venkys and they agree to increase the budget I don't know but I feel its a good possibility due to the cost of players market and crazy fees. (my view is in the Blue)

On Brereton bid, He said Forest bought in an agent to sell him on Wednesday the day before deadline day. He was offer to Rovers and on deadline day we bid for him but when Brereton found out he was being sold he said no he wanted to stay. But he wouldn't be shocked if we went back in for him on loan to permanent deal before the deadline

On Freeman bid, Rovers bid for him and as did Forest did. But the reason the deal didn't happen was because McClaren threated to walk out if he was sold as he is their best player. 

On Gallagher, Rovers did hold talks with Southampton about buying him but the fee they wanted was too high plus wages could be problem as he's on 24/25k a week. could be loan target. He said Gallagher should be asking for a loan move as he wont be playing but if he quite happy to stay there for the wages then its not a player you want to sign. 

I did miss about 1 minute of the comment about Rovers. I will upload a link later 

Hmmmm. I don't want to keep raking over this. It's clear we're at different ends of the spectrum and that's unlikely to change. 

If we work on the basis that Nixon's version of events is 100% correct then I'm assuming you are taking the positive end of the stick on that and that it makes you feel good about things. Unfortunately for me all it does is lead to more concern and questions about what on earth is happening.

Of course we need to assume Nixon knows what he is talking about and isn't merely 'filling in the blanks'.

1) Additional money suddenly comes available 2-3 weeks ago? So what of the 'good budget' Mowbray originally reported following his trip to India? Were Rothwell and Davenport all that budget could stretch to? Mowbray and Waggott spoke of exciting players way before that point so what happened? If this extra money appeared a fortnight ago why did nobody else (other than long term target Armstrong) arrive?

2) Forest go to the trouble to employ an agent, 1 day before the window shuts, to find someone to buy Brereton? A player that costs upwards of £5 million? How many clubs in the Championship have or had that sort of money sat around waiting to spend on a player Forest didn't want on the final day of the window?

3) Mowbray then decides to pursue Brereton presumably just because Forest are keen to get rid and are hawking him around clubs to find a buyer on the final day? No other more long term targets being worked on that would have been easier and cheaper to finalise?

Does any of the above - changing budgets, going after players Forest use agents to try and get rid of - suggest there is a coherent, rehearsed strategy from the owners down?

• Like 1

Nixon and Radio Lancs provide a somewhat detailed account of Rovers late and failed activity in the main transfer window - for some reason I'm thinking about stuff like command responsibility and plausible deniability. Can't think why. 

Meanwhile not a single quote from those who are accountable and yes that includes Mowbray. 

Most odd.

• Like 1

Surely if Forest hired an agent to find a club for Brereton, they would have told the player they are looking to sell him? As from what I gather, the player was shocked and didnt want to go when we put our bid in.

Would you even need to hire an agent really anyway to get rid of a prmosing teenager that was linked with top PL clubs a year ago? Surely just whacking him on the transfer list and making a few phonecalls around Championship clubs would bring in the interest.

4 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Nixon and Radio Lancs provide a somewhat detailed account of Rovers late and failed activity in the main transfer window - for some reason I'm thinking about stuff like command responsibility and plausible deniability. Can't think why. 

Meanwhile not a single quote from those who are accountable and yes that includes Mowbray. 

Most odd.

My guess is we will conjour up a quick loan signing.  Then the club will play it as everything under control. 

Interesting to see if any 'local' reporters actually ask about it post match or if they are told not to...

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller

8 hours ago, JHRover said:

Hmmmm. I don't want to keep raking over this. It's clear we're at different ends of the spectrum and that's unlikely to change. 

If we work on the basis that Nixon's version of events is 100% correct then I'm assuming you are taking the positive end of the stick on that and that it makes you feel good about things. Unfortunately for me all it does is lead to more concern and questions about what on earth is happening.

Of course we need to assume Nixon knows what he is talking about and isn't merely 'filling in the blanks'.

1) Additional money suddenly comes available 2-3 weeks ago? So what of the 'good budget' Mowbray originally reported following his trip to India? Were Rothwell and Davenport all that budget could stretch to? Mowbray and Waggott spoke of exciting players way before that point so what happened? If this extra money appeared a fortnight ago why did nobody else (other than long term target Armstrong) arrive?

2) Forest go to the trouble to employ an agent, 1 day before the window shuts, to find someone to buy Brereton? A player that costs upwards of £5 million? How many clubs in the Championship have or had that sort of money sat around waiting to spend on a player Forest didn't want on the final day of the window?

3) Mowbray then decides to pursue Brereton presumably just because Forest are keen to get rid and are hawking him around clubs to find a buyer on the final day? No other more long term targets being worked on that would have been easier and cheaper to finalise?

Does any of the above - changing budgets, going after players Forest use agents to try and get rid of - suggest there is a coherent, rehearsed strategy from the owners down?

No, but does any of the above read as a true story to me? No.

41 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

My guess is we will conjour up a quick loan signing.  Then the club will play it as everything under control. 

Interesting to see if any 'local' reporters actually ask about it post match or if they are told not to...

I agree and think they will try for an impressive loan to buy deal. I hope so anyway as CF and CB backup is urgently needed. A truly creative midfielder would be good too.

8 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Most odd.

Mowbray will talk about everything I would imagine after the game. I much rather he focus on the Millwall game and making sure we are tactically spot on, set pieces work done and everything else. 

3 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Surely if Forest hired an agent to find a club for Brereton, they would have told the player they are looking to sell him? As from what I gather, the player was shocked and didnt want to go when we put our bid in.

Why tell the player unless you have a buyer? 

Probably why the Player is now unhappy possibly with his own club going behind his back. 

I have no time for Karanka. Massively attitude problem. Almost like a mini Mourinho.

4 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Would you even need to hire an agent really anyway to get rid of a prmosing teenager that was linked with top PL clubs a year ago? Surely just whacking him on the transfer list and making a few phonecalls around Championship clubs would bring in the interest.

And the asking price would've been circulated? That being the case why was our bid rejected?

This Nixon tosh has more holes in it than Rab C Nesbitt's vest.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Classic move to try and take advantage of some looking to panic buy at the last min, Rovers jumped in with a rather odd and unexpected bid then someone could've put in 6 mill serious and it's job done if he agrees to go.

I'd be interested to know who the agent was seeing as Nixon claims this was the case !

• Like 1

Success for me. As failure would mean that we have taken a step back. Now be using the words success I would need to calm down expectation and rate the window a 6/10. I think the squad is stronger. Rothwell replaces Payne, Palmer is such an exciting prospect, Davenport will need time and more importanty Armstrong. Now I don't expect him to set the world alight but Mowbray knows him and understands the player, if there was ever a time for him to kick on in his career it is now! 

22 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thank you Chaddy.