BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - Success or Failure

Now we’ve played 10ish games this season, we could be c20% through the season already. 

Intersting to look back at a transfer window where we spent the most amount of money for years and see whether we are actually any stronger for it.

Looking at the likely team vs Forrest of;

Raya

Nyambe-Mulgrew-Lenni-Bell

Reed-Evans-Smallwood-Bennett

Dack

graham

If someone had said that would be our first choice team before the transfer window, you’d assume that venkys hadn’t given Mowbray any money to spend.

I’m yet to be convinced that the £8m was spent in the right places to improve the first team, rather than just buying players who we might be able to sell on for profit in the future.

• Like 5

Unconvinced by Palmer, I'd like to see Brereton after gaining more strength, Rodwell and Rothwell could both displace incumbents by Christmas and Davenport has been injured so we have no evidence one way or another.

Great to see existing team members kick on when many including me doubted Nyambe, Bell, Evans and Smallwood in particular at this level. The squad depth has improved immensely.

1 hour ago, OJRovers said:

Now we’ve played 10ish games this season, we could be c20% through the season already. 

Intersting to look back at a transfer window where we spent the most amount of money for years and see whether we are actually any stronger for it.

Raya

Dack

graham

If someone had said that would be our first choice team before the transfer window, you’d assume that venkys hadn’t given Mowbray any money to spend.

I’m yet to be convinced that the £8m was spent in the right places to improve the first team, rather than just buying players who we might be able to sell on for profit in the future.

Our money has been spent on depth. You should really try and include the bench in that calculation. Our bench now includes the likes of Rothwell, Davenport, Brereton, Palmer, Armstrong and soon to be Davenport and Rodwell. That is a lot stronger than last season.

We of course still have areas to improve. I don't think Mowbray could land a centre half in truth - he must have tried. 

It is reasonable to expect more from Brereton than we have seen but he is a new signing and has yet to really have a true run in the team. Signings like Reed, Palmer and Rothwell have all been successes in their relatively few appearances.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, OJRovers said:

Raya

Dack

graham

But if it came with the caveat than the team was being picked on merit, because of good results I would be more than happy. 

On the OP...still too early to say in my opinion. have not seen enough of many of them but at the very least, you would say that we have far better strength in depth. I think it is fair to say that TM really makes players have to earn a spot, more so than most managers, so the likes of Rothwell, Reed, Rodwell and even Brereton will have their work cutout. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good a place as any:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16971551.rovers-open-contract-talks-with-mulgrew-and-evans/?ref=mac

Evans and Mulgrew were signed at a time when we paid big wages for this level. Be interesting to see where the talks lead in these more sensible times.

Generally some interesting stuff from Waggott, echoes a lot of what has been said on here about getting away from the need to completely re-build the squad every summer.

53 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Good a place as any:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16971551.rovers-open-contract-talks-with-mulgrew-and-evans/?ref=mac

Evans and Mulgrew were signed at a time when we paid big wages for this level. Be interesting to see where the talks lead in these more sensible times.

Generally some interesting stuff from Waggott, echoes a lot of what has been said on here about getting away from the need to completely re-build the squad every summer.

Mulgrew deserves a couple of years and Evans deserves an extension of some kind. The latter always worries me though, call it the cynic in me but he always seems to play well at the end of his contract. Back-end of last season and the start of this he has put in a shift but once a contract is signed he seems to revert to type of regularly being injured and not really playing all that well (until international call-ups are coming round).

Hope I am wrong but we will soon see I guess.

• Backroom

I would be careful about what we're offering Evans.Considering the era he was bought in he's likely one of the biggest earners at the club, and simply isn't good enough to be in that bracket. Any contract extension should see his wage reduced to a more reasonable level, but unlikely he'd accept it. He's not worth spending a big wage p/w on imo. 

At Mulgrew's age I think an extra year is sensible. If he starts picking up injuries again we don't want to be left with a player on a longer deal we can't shift. As long as he's on a competitive wage it should be enough to ward off most interest.

16 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Mulgrew deserves a couple of years and Evans deserves an extension of some kind. The latter always worries me though, call it the cynic in me but he always seems to play well at the end of his contract. Back-end of last season and the start of this he has put in a shift but once a contract is signed he seems to revert to type of regularly being injured and not really playing all that well (until international call-ups are coming round).

Hope I am wrong but we will soon see I guess.

I agree. Charlie and Tony are complete no brainers. Evans has been anonymous for as long as I can remember. Contract starts running down and he's playing his heart out. Once that contract is signed we will more than likely see the Cory of old. I hope I'm wrong and he's had an injury free period and a new lease of life but history suggests his foot will be off the gas. In his defense (bad choice of words I know) he's never had the competition to push him or anyone who was good enough to take his shirt regardless. If he doesn't perform now I'm sure young Travis or Rodwell will take it off him. I really would love to put Bennett in there and add Chapman in January. He offers so much more and can lead by example in the middle of the pitch. Anyway still more good news and positive steps by the club. Let the good times roll 

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

I would be careful about what we're offering Evans.Considering the era he was bought in he's likely one of the biggest earners at the club, and simply isn't good enough to be in that bracket. Any contract extension should see his wage reduced to a more reasonable level, but unlikely he'd accept it. He's not worth spending a big wage p/w on imo. 

At Mulgrew's age I think an extra year is sensible. If he starts picking up injuries again we don't want to be left with a player on a longer deal we can't shift. As long as he's on a competitive wage it should be enough to ward off most interest.

Before the start of this season I'd agree with you there DE but I think Evans has really stepped up this year. He's been one of our better players so far. He's stepped up to the plate and has had a few matches this year where he stood out. A far cry from the disappearing acts of years gone by!

I think him and Rodwell could be a decent partnership in midfield- although that's totally based on Rodwell's single, but brilliant, appearance vs Bolton. However, you have to consider the future and if Rodwell continues in the same vein as last weekend would you rather him or Evans on the big wage? Can we afford both?

I'd like to think we could but I also respect the wage structure in place. Evans has had form in the past of not performing under a big contract (you could argue this seasons up turn in form coincidentally, or conveniently, comes in time for new contract talks) and Rodwell too has form for not performing under big contracts, although, again, that is based on his time in a poisonous club like Sunderland.

14 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I agree. Charlie and Tony are complete no brainers. Evans has been anonymous for as long as I can remember. Contract starts running down and he's playing his heart out. Once that contract is signed we will more than likely see the Cory of old. I hope I'm wrong and he's had an injury free period and a new lease of life but history suggests his foot will be off the gas. In his defense (bad choice of words I know) he's never had the competition to push him or anyone who was good enough to take his shirt regardless. If he doesn't perform now I'm sure young Travis or Rodwell will take it off him. I really would love to put Bennett in there and add Chapman in January. He offers so much more and can lead by example in the middle of the pitch. Anyway still more good news and positive steps by the club. Let the good times roll 

Id perhaps give him a year extension with the option of another. That should keep him playing for his next contract.

• Like 2

Some turnaround really. Only about 6 weeks ago at the back end of the summer window Mowbray was clear that extensions for Evans and Mulgrew were out of the question at that moment in time given their demands.

I'm always cautious about Rovers saying they're planning on opening talks about a new deal because there's a substantial difference between thinking about starting talking about a new deal and actually getting those deals done and dusted to enable forward planning to take place safe in the knowledge they are going to be here.

I can't imagine either player will be particularly enthused if Rovers try to knock their wages down given they are first team regulars and could probably have their pick of other Championship clubs.

I think both have earned new deals and both have shown they can perform in the Championship, yet of course there are risks with both as there are with most players. Neither have particularly good injury records, Mulgrew is no spring chicken. Evans is still a good age at 28 and vastly experienced and those sort of players aren't easy to come across but his time here has been punctured with fitness issues. Maybe at last with competition for places and a proper manager to guide him he's back to his best. Certainly his efforts since March have been excellent. Must say I'm surprised that in just over 5 years at the club he's made 150+ appearances, so more than 30 a season on average. Would have expected it to be less than that.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Some turnaround really. Only about 6 weeks ago at the back end of the summer window Mowbray was clear that extensions for Evans and Mulgrew were out of the question at that moment in time given their demands.

I'm always cautious about Rovers saying they're planning on opening talks about a new deal because there's a substantial difference between thinking about starting talking about a new deal and actually getting those deals done and dusted to enable forward planning to take place safe in the knowledge they are going to be here.

I can't imagine either player will be particularly enthused if Rovers try to knock their wages down given they are first team regulars and could probably have their pick of other Championship clubs.

I think both have earned new deals and both have shown they can perform in the Championship, yet of course there are risks with both as there are with most players. Neither have particularly good injury records, Mulgrew is no spring chicken. Evans is still a good age at 28 and vastly experienced and those sort of players aren't easy to come across but his time here has been punctured with fitness issues. Maybe at last with competition for places and a proper manager to guide him he's back to his best. Certainly his efforts since March have been excellent. Must say I'm surprised that in just over 5 years at the club he's made 150+ appearances, so more than 30 a season on average. Would have expected it to be less than that.

Where did you see this? I don't recall reading or seeing Mowbray say this 

I'd offer both Mulgrew and Evans 1 year deal with an optional year in the clubs favour. You'd think that would be fine for Mulgrew at his age. Evans i'm not so sure, he would likely be looking for his last good contract (he's 29 in the summer) so will fancy his chances of getting a 3 year deal elsewhere. I'd be disappointed if we offered him that on the back of a good  10 games. He's had a lot of injuries over the last few years, always looks to be carrying something i'm not convinced that he will be effective into his 30's. 

• Like 1

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I'd offer both Mulgrew and Evans 1 year deal with an optional year in the clubs favour. You'd think that would be fine for Mulgrew at his age. Evans i'm not so sure, he would likely be looking for his last good contract (he's 29 in the summer) so will fancy his chances of getting a 3 year deal elsewhere. I'd be disappointed if we offered him that on the back of a good  10 games. He's had a lot of injuries over the last few years, always looks to be carrying something i'm not convinced that he will be effective into his 30's. 

I would be more disappointed if he left on a free 

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Before the start of this season I'd agree with you there DE but I think Evans has really stepped up this year. He's been one of our better players so far. He's stepped up to the plate and has had a few matches this year where he stood out. A far cry from the disappearing acts of years gone by!

I think him and Rodwell could be a decent partnership in midfield- although that's totally based on Rodwell's single, but brilliant, appearance vs Bolton. However, you have to consider the future and if Rodwell continues in the same vein as last weekend would you rather him or Evans on the big wage? Can we afford both?

I'd like to think we could but I also respect the wage structure in place. Evans has had form in the past of not performing under a big contract (you could argue this seasons up turn in form coincidentally, or conveniently, comes in time for new contract talks) and Rodwell too has form for not performing under big contracts, although, again, that is based on his time in a poisonous club like Sunderland.

Evans is a decent squad player but I don't consider him a top priority. It's nice that he's had a few good games as of late and actually been fit for a few months but history tells us that, much like Ben Marshall, Evans is a player who has short purple patches and long periods of average to poor form, usually accompanied by injury. I wouldn't be averse to giving him a year's extension on reduced pay but I don't think we need to be fearful over Evans leaving. We'd cope fine without him. 

• Like 1

I personally wouldn't give Evans one and free up his wages, bring someone in who offers more. If we are building and improving to reach the promise Land then we need to do better than Evans. I've never rated him. If you see players like mcginn going for 4 million and where serious about promotion I'd be looking for better

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Where did you see this? I don't recall reading or seeing Mowbray say this 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16372541.mowbray-gives-update-on-rovers-contract-negotiations/

To be fair he does say he will look at it again 'later in the year' but that 'for varying reasons we're not in a position to do anything on those because of the situation and the current cost' and 'as we get towards Christmas we'll look at it again'

Apologies, it was late July he made those comments, not late August, so a couple of months ago.

• Like 1