BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

7 minutes ago, Biz said:

Everybody is allowed to forge an opinion and I’m swaying towards the idea that we didn’t get a few of those who went to Preston/Bolton and a few loans elsewhere because Tony didn’t want them.

I think we had around 5/6m to spend in total upfront and I think we had a few targets move out of our range after we spent some time on them-  he even mentioned one (at time it was guessed Bamford to leeds being 7/10m)

I even think Armstrong started off at 3m upfront, hence why it didn’t happen until Newcastle started moving a few around and sold Mitrovic.

The window as a whole was different. Even Mourinho (most successful manager of all time) at Manchester United (one of the biggest clubs in the world) seemingly stumbled from target to target because of ever increasing costs and shifting goalposts.

Im not comparing us to them, but I’m thinking the market is harder than people think - when average/risky players are costing tens of millions, it takes timing and luck - especially at our end of the scale; I’m under no illusion who is to blame for why we are in this position.

Thats not to say I’m not under whelmed either, but it’ll take a decade to get over spending more than a million signing players like Bradley Orr, Petrovic, Formica, vuckevic, Goodwillie, Slew, Best etc! Or the frees that cost us 10s of millions. If you go back further, there are plenty of other examples of us wasting money. Ashley Ward anyone?

A pragmatic approach is welcome from me.

Just to add - I think the squad is stronger than the previously relegated one overall so I’d expect us to be mid table or at least safe without any more additions.

Very balanced post Biz.  No problem with pragmatism ..but you have to move forward.  I genuinely felt, with 3 or 4 good(1st team improving) additions and the team spirit we have, we could have been dark horses for a play off place.  Certainly a top half finish that may convince our better players to stick with it. One team always has a promotion bounce.  This could be our best opportunity in a while.  I'm pretty sure TM thought along these lines too.

Failure to add any to date is really poor.  Hopefully we pull a few rabbits out of proverbial hats and have a great season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

Sam Gallagher is one that we are trying to sign it would be a loan with a buy clause in January.  There is a difference in our and Southampton's valuation so if we can overcome that then he will be one that we will get.

Do you know how much Southampton want? 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

So who would we prefer Brereton or Gallagher? Tough choice that. 

Tough to answer that really. We all know what we are getting with Gallagher. Bereton is going to be an unknown for 99% of rovers fans.

I quite like gallagher tbh, thought he did well in a bad side when here last time

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Both IF we have the fundings. Graham is turning 33 tomorrow? Would be nice to have something for the future.

Edited by Swanson

2 minutes ago, Swanson said:

Both IF we have the fundings. Graham is turning 33 tomorrow? Would be nice to have something for the future.

Medium to long term plan rather than having to go through this again next summer would be nice but unlikely 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Boroblue said:

With graham, Armstrong, Gallagher and Brereton we have a good mix of age and style.

17 minutes ago, Swanson said:

No point.  Only play one up front.  Don't know enough about the Forest lad but he's just touching touching 6ft so not a big unit.

39 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

Sam Gallagher is one that we are trying to sign it would be a loan with a buy clause in January.  There is a difference in our and Southampton's valuation so if we can overcome that then he will be one that we will get.

Edit: read post properly.

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller

Having read more about Brereton and what their fans say about him, I would probably opt for him if had a direct choice as he has plenty of potential.

Gallagher is not someone I would be totally against either - as long as we do get somebody on a loan to permanent deal in the striking department. Massively important as this player will have to supplement Graham and eventually become his replacement. We do not want to have to be trying to find one next season especially with so many other players being out of contract next season. 

55 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

Tough to answer that really. We all know what we are getting with Gallagher. Bereton is going to be an unknown for 99% of rovers fans.

I quite like gallagher tbh, thought he did well in a bad side when here last time

I would be happy with either as long as the deal is a loan to buy permanent in January at a fee already agreed now. We dont want teams messing us around changing the fee or terms of the fee

44 minutes ago, Swanson said:

It would be great wouldnt it. Cant see it. 

21 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

No point.  Only play one up front.  Don't know enough about the Forest lad but he's just touching touching 6ft so not a big unit.

Brereton is 183cm and Graham us 185cm. So not a massive difference. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

I can’t say I’m desperate to get Brereton only because I’d never heard of him till Thursday so would be a little hypocritical to act desperate to get him now.

Gallagher was decent last time round not great, problem is he got shorter when he jumped 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Tom said:

I can’t say I’m desperate to get Brereton only because I’d never heard of him till Thursday so would be a little hypocritical to act desperate to get him now.

Gallagher was decent last time round not great, problem is he got shorter when he jumped 

That Brereton looks a player to me .....

I have an issue with Gallagher not being here last season on loan to put things right.  He played a part in our demise...and now he wants to come back.  Not for me...shocking in a couple of the important games in our relegation fight....

I like Gallagher he has some height and carries more goal threat that anyone we have now apart from Graham and Dack, a point worth considering to those who pan him. However i'd prefer him on a season long loan to see if he really is worth buying for sensible money.

The Forest lad is interesting though so I wouldn't be against a punt for him instead if he has pace.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Definitely not Gallagher, he would be a lazy suggestion based on being here previously. I know for a fact after watching for a season that he is not what we need as a number 9, he can't hold the ball up, hes too weak, he cant act as a focal point and he cant win flick ons. His goal record is poor, and his spells at Birmingham and MK Dons add further doubt to his ability at this level. I doubt we could afford his price on a permanent deal anyway, plus his wages were a big discussion topic when he joined Birmingham in a financially stupid loan deal last year.

I only specifically remember watching Brereton once, v a weakened Arsenal in the cup. He led the line in a way Gallagher never did during his time here, he was excellent in the way he . His goal record is very poor however, like Gallagher Only way this deal should be considered is if it is with a view to a permanent deal, as based on his current ability he wouldnt be worth a loan deal, we'd be buying potential.

To answer your question, I think I would rather look elsewhere. But I definitely dont want Gallagher, and am more open minded on Brereton, more based on the type of player he looked when I saw him, albeit only once, and the way Forest fans seem to rate him, but he wouldnt dislodge Graham yet, thats for sure.

If Gallagher signed, I would be very underwhelmed and a bit disappointed. If Brereton signed, as long as it was with a permanent deal to take effect in Jan, I would be interested to see how he got on, and feel he would come straight into the squad, and could help Graham with the work load.

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I like Gallagher he has some height and carries more goal threat that anyone we have now apart from Graham and Dack, a point worth considering to those who pan him. However i'd prefer him on a season long loan to see if he really is worth buying for sensible money.

The Forest lad is interesting though so I wouldn't be against a punt for him instead if he has pace.

You think Gallagher is a bigger goal threat than Armstrong?