BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

So who would we prefer Brereton or Gallagher? Tough choice that. 

It's a risky choice but I'd go for Brereton.

Gallagher was ok here but wasn't outstanding at MKD or Birmingham hence no one has signed him yet and he's 22 (i think) where as Brereton is 19.. Also my thoughts are skewed with something Nixon said last night - we don't know if its true - about him being happy to sit around on £25k a week .We don't want any like that at our club.  

Either would do for me. They are quite similar players. Both very mobile and seem to have pace, Gallagher is very fast when he gets in his stride. Both has been utilized as wingers which is quite common of young mobile striker coming into the game (similar to Armstrong).

Their goalrecords is not as poor as it looks. Looking at starts Gallagher has 17 in 58 games(last 2 seasons) which is not bad for a young striker. Brereton has 8 in 38 starts, but very young (turned 19 in April). 

Both has a lot of room for improvement in the hold up role, but that kind of strikers often get a lot better with age as they bulk up and get experience. Nippy strikers like Armstrong (similar to Michael Owen) can often be more deadly when younger because they compete on pace and not as much the physicality. 

• Like 1

Just now, briansol said:

Either would do for me. They are quite similar players. Both very mobile and seem to have pace, Gallagher is very fast when he gets in his stride. Both has been utilized as wingers which is quite common of young mobile striker coming into the game (similar to Armstrong).

Their goalrecords is not as poor as it looks. Looking at starts Gallagher has 17 in 58 games(last 2 seasons) which is not bad for a young striker. Brereton has 8 in 38 starts, but very young (turned 19 in April). 

Both has a lot of room for improvement in the hold up role, but that kind of strikers often get a lot better with age as they bulk up and get experience. Nippy strikers like Armstrong (similar to Michael Owen) can often be more deadly when younger because they compete on pace and not as much the physicality. 

Good sense being talked here ?

8 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

It's a risky choice but I'd go for Brereton.

Gallagher was ok here but wasn't outstanding at MKD or Birmingham hence no one has signed him yet and he's 22 (i think) where as Brereton is 19.. Also my thoughts are skewed with something Nixon said last night - we don't know if its true - about him being happy to sit around on £25k a week .We don't want any like that at our club.  

Nixon didn't say that, what he said was IF Gallagher isn't banging on Hughes door on Monday asking for a move away then you would probably avoid if he is just willing to pick up a wage and not play.

He has gone on loan the last 3 seasons.

I would prefer Brereton, massive potential only 19 and played 53 times already at championship level. 

7 minutes ago, briansol said:

But is that the type of player we need, a striker with pace to play wide, when we have Armstrong?

We need someone to take the physical burden off Graham in terms of being a focal point, a target man, bringing others into play with his back to goal.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But is that the type of player we need, a striker with pace to play wide, when we have Armstrong?

We need someone to take the physical burden off Graham in terms of being a focal point, a target man, bringing others into play with his back to goal.

You're right here but we've been crying out for that type of striker for years and you can only assume Mowbray isn't keen although there's not many about like that. It seems the era of defensive wingers and striker/wingers and that's certainly a favourite of TM.  Not a fan at all of it but it's common practice by a few managers at the min.

Brereton sounds the more exciting prospect,  not seen much of him but Islander and AllRoverAsia certainly seem to rate him,  I wouldn't be unhappy with Gallagher but he needs to start pushing on now as he is  23 next month so I think it's  time he started to realize his potential.

I  understand why we would want a more back to goal style striker but we haven't been linked to any whilst I do believe the reports about us being after the two mentioned above so it doesn't seem like we are going for one.

10 minutes ago, tomphil said:

You're right here but we've been crying out for that type of striker for years and you can only assume Mowbray isn't keen although there's not many about like that. It seems the era of defensive wingers and striker/wingers and that's certainly a favourite of TM.  Not a fan at all of it but it's common practice by a few managers at the min.

6 minutes ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

Brereton sounds the more exciting prospect,  not seen much of him but Islander and AllRoverAsia certainly seem to rate him,  I wouldn't be unhappy with Gallagher but he needs to start pushing on now as he is  23 next month so I think it's  time he started to realize his potential.

I  understand why we would want a more back to goal style striker but we haven't been linked to any whilst I do believe the reports about us being after the two mentioned above so it doesn't seem like we are going for one.

As much as he has also played wide, as is common with a young lad who is still growing, from the very limited that I've seen, he is far more of a number 9 than Gallagher, even being a few years younger, Gallagher as a lone striker which we play would be ineffectual, when he was here he played in a 2 with Graham, a luxury that wont be afforded to him now we have better players such as Dack and Palmer to play off the striker. (Plus playing 2 up left us even more open that season defensively) 

Gallagher under Mowbray played quite a few games wide from what I recall, he clearly doesnt trust him as a central striker. Now in those areas, we are in far better shape, would you drop Armstrong for Gallagher, considering Armstrongs quality and also the fact that he looks far more comf

Gallagher is getting to an age where its problematic that no one really knows how best to use him. Hes never a lone centre forward as a target man, which is what we need so that should be the end of the discussion on his signing to me! And hes far too clumsy to be a wide forward in my opinion.

I'm not necessarily sure that Mowbray is against the idea of a focal point, hence his obvious faith and importance on Graham. He's had Gallagher, Armstrong and Samuel and has never trusted any of them for a prolonged spell down the middle, because he reverts back to Graham as a 9 as he can trust him there.

I wouldn't be unhappy to see Gallagher back here. Sure, he had some howlers, some of them crucial, but I don't think the lad disgraced himself by any means.

I know nothing about Brereton, but going off what the fellas above have been saying he sounds like he'd be alright.

However, I might get slaughtered for this, but I really liked what I saw of John Marquis last season. Seems like a total warrior and would be able to lead the front line. Whether he'd be good enough for this level who can tell, but yeah. I'd like someone in like that.

Can someone tell me when did the classic, bruising, battling British centre-forward become such a rare commodity?

6 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Beretton- I'd just be worried that there would be a lot of pressure riding on a 19 year old leading the line if Graham got injured.

He'd be just fine. I can't think of any more supportive and patient fans than you get down at Ewood.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Give 'Em the Axe said:

I wouldn't be unhappy to see Gallagher back here. Sure, he had some howlers, some of them crucial, but I don't think the lad disgraced himself by any means.

I know nothing about Brereton, but going off what the fellas above have been saying he sounds like he'd be alright.

However, I might get slaughtered for this, but I really liked what I saw of John Marquis last season. Seems like a total warrior and would be able to lead the front line. Whether he'd be good enough for this level who can tell, but yeah. I'd like someone in like that.

Can someone tell me when did the classic, bruising, battling British centre-forward become such a rare commodity?

I thought he looked quite good too but it seems we are aiming a bit higher than that.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

So who would we prefer Brereton or Gallagher? Tough choice that. 

I agree Chaddy tough choice. I would plump for Gallagher as unlike others I quite liked him. He performed reasonably well in an extremely poor side last time he was here. But this Brereton seems highly rated I just know nothing about him to form an opinion tbh?

• Backroom
58 minutes ago, Give 'Em the Axe said:

I reckon Shearer was the epitome and nobody really bothered trying to live up to that after him. Kevin Davies maybe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

No we don't, and that was not my point either. I was just trying to make a point that is a normal route these days that young strikers will be deployed at the wing when breaking into the senior squad and get moved in centrally when they bulk up and get experience. The big difference in "modern" football is that few play with two striker anymore which put a lot more demand on the lone striker. Both Bereton and Gallagher in my opionon has the tools to become the main man up front, but are probably need to be understudies of Graham for the season. On the other hand, they are a lot more dynamic and offer more movement and ability to run behind when we break.

To me there are two paths regarding strikers. Either the young potential like the two mentioned or the old established ones like Chris Martin who is 30, expensive, but can challenge Graham directly. Marquis was also mentioned as a decent punt. He has the right profile if he can step up to the Championship.

Sam Vokes would fit the bill, but then you're talking 10 millions and wages far beyond what we can afford.

Just now, Mike E said:

I reckon Shearer was the epitome and nobody really bothered trying to live up to that after him. Kevin Davies maybe.

Kevin Davies is a very good example regarding Gallagher and Bereton. He played right winger for the first part of his career and when we bought him for 7mill+.  Was probably in his mid-twenties when reinvented as a hold up striker.