BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Obviously agree with you on the window and how ones before have been far worse. For me the Coyle one and the summer in embargo when we signed Delfounso and Koita and sold Cairney and Gestede being low points.

But surely last summers window was one of success in that it set us up to finish 2nd. We signed our best player Dack, signed Smallwood, yes the rest of the signings were at best mixed but we kept our best players and let loads of rubbish leave, having an overdue clearout. You mention Mahoney but was he a loss, really? Never suggested to me hed do much based on his cameos here.

Last summer was great business generall, in hindsight anyway, but it’s hard to compare when we are talking league 1. Mahoney was one of the many, was it 12 that left? A big number of outs and ins is indicative of a problematic summer! This one (whilst underwhelming) has been a breeze compared.

2 hours ago, Bepeja43 said:

Millwalls 2nd against the post they just ambled through.. Didn't even have to work to create the chance.. Shocking.

Yes it was poor. Millwall should have scored at least one. We just cannot afford to have 45 minutes like that this season - we got away with it quite a few times last year but we''ll get punished more often than not in this division. 

The window was a big disappointment to me. If the money was  really available and the owners and Mowbray true to their words I would expect it to be spent (and more} in January

I'm sorry but I really don't get the Chapman one. Mowbray made his views on him quite clear last season when he refused to give him any more than 30 minutes at the end of games, since then he's had a couple of major injuries.

He'd offer something different and some much needed pace and would be a better option than we currently have, but I think I'd rather be looking at someone the manager wants to start games if necessary and someone with a bit more experience at Championship level.

Not opposed to the signing but find some of the love-in a bit over the top given what happened last season.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Biz said:

Last summer was great business generall, in hindsight anyway, but it’s hard to compare when we are talking league 1. Mahoney was one of the many, was it 12 that left? A big number of outs and ins is indicative of a problematic summer! This one (whilst underwhelming) has been a breeze compared.

The successful signings were great and we went up, which was the aim but what proportion of signings were failures? About 50% I'd guess.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, iSeeRed said:

Connor Whickam from Crystal palace according to Nixon.

On loan I think that's a sensible use of the loan window. Given his size and his ability when fully fit, he should be able to score goals for us but it's certainly not one you'd sign permenant at this point. 

11 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm sorry but I really don't get the Chapman one. Mowbray made his views on him quite clear last season when he refused to give him any more than 30 minutes at the end of games, since then he's had a couple of major injuries.

He'd offer something different and some much needed pace and would be a better option than we currently have, but I think I'd rather be looking at someone the manager wants to start games if necessary and someone with a bit more experience at Championship level.

Not opposed to the signing but find some of the love-in a bit over the top given what happened last season.

Excitement and flair, simple as that, our fans have been starved of it for so long that when they watched him in full flow, however fleeting, it was a joy  - bums off seat player.

Not sure he'd be reliable for a tough Championship  season though and as Mogga likes his 'defensive wingers', not sure he'd want him at this level...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Biz said:

I don’t think it’s been very good, but I’m not stupid enough to think giving Lenihan, Dack and a few others new contracts and adding some young potential and quality in three signings is “the worst in recent memory”. 

I would suggest you get a grip.

Grow up biz.. 

You started with the calling comments 

Just try and enjoy the rest of the season.. If you go that is ?? 

BTW As for giving new improved contracts if Rovers didn't their agents would have been touring em about and trying to get them a better deal elsewhere.. That is a modern day football fact 

Edited by Athlete

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Excitement and flair, simple as that, our fans have been starved of it for so long that when they watched him in full flow, however fleeting, it was a joy  - bums off seat player.

Not sure he'd be reliable for a tough Championship  season though and as Mogga likes his 'defensive wingers', not sure he'd want him at this level...

Think he'd play wide of a 3 no problem to be honest. I think he'd more than hack it in the championship. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, iSeeRed said:

Connor Whickam from Crystal palace according to Nixon.

One we can rule out then. ? Who knows?

Obviously McGinn not coming, Freeland got he full not over my dead body from McLaren.

I have seen a lot about Gallagher on here but I cannot find any serious press linking us with him currently.

Brereton seems to be a live link as does Chapman. I'd be delighted to see either and elated to see both.

Then a back up defender who will keep Mulgrew and Lenihan under pressure.

And that ladies and gentlemen would be a fabulous summer's business.

Edited by philipl
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

This.

Positive season last year and we've failed to build on it.  Firstly the late release of STs, then the price increase of STs, followed by talk of exciting players and good budgets, followed by failure to deliver them.  Unable to win either of our first 2 games on the pitch.   All of this means we are pretty much back at square one in terms of attracting supporters back. 

Going to need a lucky cup run or something to get people back though the door now.

With regards to Saturday's attendance, a lot of people are on holiday and Millwall may put a few off.  Thought 13k plus wasn't bad tbh.

You forgot to mention the worst shirts in living memory. It's as though the club had deliberately gone about reducing the " feel good factor ".

The Sun linked us to Gallagher in early July saying he would go out of Southampton if Ings came in but his £24k per week wages are a stumbling block.

Chapman must be fit if he is on Boro's bench each week. We know he is not a Pulis sort of player and we know he is incredibly exciting when he's on the pitch. A defender's nightmare whether you are facing him from minute 1 or minute 71. If we are taking a fitness risk, I'd take Chapman over Wickham.

If we are taking an unproven striker risk, I'd take Brereton over Wickham.

I wouldn't be unhappy with Wickham, if we brought in Chapman I feel we'd still be short of a starting winger. Yes, Chapman is exciting and yes he can be dynamic, is he a man I'd trust to bring on in a finely balanced 0 - 0 when we need 3 points, not on your life, there is as much chance of him chucking a game as there is him winning it. Chapman is great when we've got the ball but leaves gaping holes when without, in League 1 we could get away with it because our players were good enough to cover, in this league I'm afraid he'd get pulled apart. 

Edited by Lancaster Rover
addition
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Apprantly Aston villa and derby linked with a loan move for odegaard from real Madrid. Real looking to toughen him up in the championship. 

Not really the type of player we're looking at I would imagine. Sensible move for him though...

27 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You forgot to mention the worst shirts in living memory. It's as though the club had deliberately gone about reducing the " feel good factor ".

They looked awful on the TV highlights. One of those washing powder adverts where someone's mum isn't using ....... whatever ad that used to be

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, philipl said:

One we can rule out then. ? Who knows?

Obviously McGinn not coming, Freeland got he full not over my dead body from McLaren.

I have seen a lot about Gallagher on here but I cannot find any serious press linking us with him currently.

Brereton seems to be a live link as does Chapman. I'd be delighted to see either and elated to see both.

Then a back up defender who will keep Mulgrew and Lenihan under pressure.

And that ladies and gentlemen would be a fabulous summer's business.

A great pity too, Both Freeman and McGinn looked really good.At least TM's targets were sound!

Obviously McGinn not coming Philip, he signed and played for Villa!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gumboots said:

They looked awful on the TV highlights. One of those washing powder adverts where someone's mum isn't using ....... whatever ad that used to be

Actually had to do a double take, I thought what the hell are we doing playing in white shirts at home?!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 47er said:

A great pity too, Both Freeman and McGinn looked really good.At least TM's targets were sound!

Obviously McGinn not coming Philip, he signed and played for Villa!

And was Villa man of the match by some distance by many accounts.

In years gone by we would have nabbed him ahead of Villa because of our reputation for being incredibly well run by very decent people...

Mowbray is doing a great job rebuilding that sense of decency and competence but a combination of just being promoted and the past seven years' nonsenses probably gave us no chance against a big city club and last season's play-off beaten finalists.

• Like 2