BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Richards hasn't kicked a ball in 3 years, I would get him on trial and in with the under 23s before offering any deal. 

Adam would be a great option to have, an upgrade on we have with regards to deep lying play makers. Well out of our price range though 

Stoke will only get offered so much,  I don't think the big budget teams will be in for him and the teams with smaller budgets won't offer too much.  Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think he will be in high demand and therefore his market value won't be that high and he's only worth what people will pay for him (salary percentage wise).  Same for a few that people say are on massive wages.

Not saying we should sign him as I haven't seen enough of him recently but he's only 32 and never been fast or particularly mobile.

27 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Agree with most of that but stephane henchoz was absolute class and it seems Liverpool agreed. I was gutted when he left

Same, he was class.

97/98

Henchoz - success
Dahlin - Failed (was looked upon as a good signing though, injuries ruined this one)
Fila - success I would say
Corbett - failed
Valery - failed
Anders Anderson - failed
Tore Pedersen - failed
Fettis - failed

oversaw departures of - Le Saux, Berg, Pearce, Given, Coleman, Bohinen, Warhurst, Donis

98/99

Davies - failed
Dailly - failed
Ward - failes
Perez - success of sorts had problems settling
Konde - failed
Peacock - failed

oversaw departures of - Hendry, Ripley, Beattie

Probably fair to say his record in the transfer window at Rovers was pretty disastrous.

Edited by AAK
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Didn’t we have Gary Croft as rb who scored against Chelsea? I might be a few years ahead 

Yes mate, think we signed him before Hodgson, around 96 from GIpswich.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AAK said:

Same, he was class.

97/98

Henchoz - success
Dahlin - Failed (was looked upon as a good signing though, injuries ruined this one)
Corbett - failed
Valery - failed
Anders Anderson - failed
Tore Pedersen - failed
Fettis - failed

oversaw departures of - Le Saux, Berg, Pearce, Given, Coleman, Bohinen, Warhurst, Donis

98/99

Davies - failed
Dailly - failed
Ward - failes
Konde - failed
Peacock - failed

Probably fair to say his record in the transfer window at Rovers was pretty disastrous.

In a nutshell, how we went from English Champions to relegation in 4 years...

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Agree with most of that but stephane henchoz was absolute class and it seems Liverpool agreed. I was gutted when he left

He was I just think they should've built the foundations around him but really he just ended up being the one bright spot in otherwise dark days. If I remember right he was the only one looking genuinely gutted and leaving the pitch in tears the night we got relegated.

Defence was a shambles but he should've been the rock to build it on.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AAK said:

Same, he was class.

97/98

Henchoz - success
Corbett - failed
Valery - failed
Anders Anderson - failed
Tore Pedersen - failed
Fettis - failed

98/99

Davies - failed
Dailly - failed
Ward - failes
Konde - failed
Peacock - failed

Agree he was a disaster and after the first half of his first season once he'd settled in and applied his methods he just over complicated everything and lo and behold almost 20 years later he turned up doing it again with England.

Very odd cookie is Roy, part good part clueless, another whose biggest enemy is himself. A football scientist one ex player called him in the early days, probably explains the over thinking.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AAK said:

Same, he was class.

97/98

Henchoz - success
Corbett - failed
Valery - failed
Anders Anderson - failed
Tore Pedersen - failed
Fettis - failed

98/99

Davies - failed
Dailly - failed
Ward - failes
Konde - failed
Peacock - failed

Quality replaced by dross. Hodgson was the architect of our relegation. Should never have been appointed England manager either

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

In a nutshell, how we went from English Champions to relegation in 4 years...

Very true, Matt. Henchoz was out for a lot of that relegation season, he could have been the difference in just keeping us up, then went on the cheap with a £3.5mil release clause. Kidds transfers were better than Hodgson I would say;

Jansen - success
Short - successs
Kelly - part success (didn't play much, but a good back up keeper with plenty of experience)
Ostenstad  - fair success, stayed with us a for a few years, and always capable of getting 8-10 goals as a back-up striker
Carsley - in that first season in the championship was a our top scorer I think, had a good season, then sold to Everton I think
Mcateer - success, part of the promotion side
Gillespie - success
Blake - failed
Ward - failed (was Kidd signing, thought it was Hodgson initially)

• Like 1

Christ there's some dross on that list of Hodgson signings...

I'd be happy for Chapman to come back on loan. I'm expecting 3 decent loans before the window closes. There will be big competition for places, but it is a long season and injuries will happen.

• Backroom

Roy struggles anywhere that has expectation of success. Put him in an underdog scenario and he'll almost always overachieve, put him in the opposite situation and he'll generally fail miserably. Even during his time at Inter they'd been struggling massively prior to his arrival, hence the relative success he had there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DE. said:

Roy struggles anywhere that has expectation of success. Put him in an underdog scenario and he'll almost always overachieve, put him in the opposite situation and he'll generally fail miserably. Even during his time at Inter they'd been struggling massively prior to his arrival, hence the relative success he had there.

England made themselves underdogs pre his management. He was awful.

As is Southgate shown by our semi final game against Croatia where he put Dier on when we were decent then sat back.

11 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

As is Southgate shown by our semi final game against Croatia where he put Dier on when we were decent then sat back.

Don't know how anyone who got us to only our third world cup semi in history can be described as awful.

Lucky with the draw obviously, but still we had a great tournament. He did very  well with one of our worst squads ever. No pleasing some people.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AAK said:

Very true, Matt. Henchoz was out for a lot of that relegation season, he could have been the difference in just keeping us up, then went on the cheap with a £3.5mil release clause. Kidds transfers were better than Hodgson I would say;

Jansen - success
Short - successs
Kelly - part success (didn't play much, but a good back up keeper with plenty of experience)
Ostenstad  - fair success, stayed with us a for a few years, and always capable of getting 8-10 goals as a back-up striker
Carsley - in that first season in the championship was a our top scorer I think, had a good season, then sold to Everton I think
Mcateer - success, part of the promotion side
Gillespie - success
Blake - failed
Ward - failed (was Kidd signing, thought it was Hodgson initially)

Grayson - failed. One of the worst right backs I've ever seen. Nearly as bad as Caddis. I remember watching him once when he had to clear the ball long down the line several times. A standard playing requirement for most full backs. He put about six out of six out of play. I used to live just over a wall and a fence from a good standard works team's football pitch. I'd be there lots of times on my own in the evening practising that particular skill with three or four balls. Over and over again.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 hour ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

Stoke will only get offered so much,  I don't think the big budget teams will be in for him and the teams with smaller budgets won't offer too much.  Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think he will be in high demand and therefore his market value won't be that high and he's only worth what people will pay for him (salary percentage wise).  Same for a few that people say are on massive wages.

Not saying we should sign him as I haven't seen enough of him recently but he's only 32 and never been fast or particularly mobile.

Could be the next Whittingham, I'd give him a miss.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DE. said:

Mark Hughes turning out that way too.

• Backroom
34 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I don't buy the whole "England are underdogs" schtick. A couple of wins and suddenly football's coming home and we're going to streamroll our way to the final. The expectation has been and always will be there because of our standing and history in the game on a global level. Roy knew that and picked his teams and tactics accordingly imo. 

Just now, DE. said:

I don't buy the whole "England are underdogs" schtick. A couple of wins and suddenly football's coming home and we're going to streamroll our way to the final. The expectation has been and always will be there because of our standing and history in the game on a global level. Roy knew that and picked his teams and tactics accordingly imo. 

Not sure about that, my impression this summer was that it was all a bit tongue in cheek...

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 minute ago, 47er said:

Mark Hughes turning out that way too.

Sparky's an odd one. He seems OK until something goes wrong and morale starts to dip, then he seems absolutely incapable of arresting the decline. In terms of how we remember him it's probably best that he left when he did, as another season of penny-pinching from the Trust would probably have led to a decline that Sparky couldn't do anything about. 

• Backroom
Just now, Mattyblue said:

Not sure about that, my impression this summer was that it was all a bit tongue in cheek...

Amongst some, maybe, but plenty of people I spoke to were convinced that Southgate was some kind of genius and we were going to breeze through to the finals and win the whole thing. Pointing out the flaws in our tactics and limitations of our players was considered treasonous by the quarter finals so I generally kept quiet after that. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Don't know how anyone who got us to only our third world cup semi in history can be described as awful.

Lucky with the draw obviously, but still we had a great tournament. He did very  well with one of our worst squads ever. No pleasing some people.

Just think his setup and way he went about matches was tactically naive.

We registered 1 shot on target in open play per game. To me that shows amateur tactical knowledge