BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

Just now, 47er said:

You are aware that the loan window ends on 31 August aren't you? I'm sure Forest are!

What does it matter what Mowbray thinks of the player if the club want 12M? Crazy!

I agree with Mowbray and Rovers---6M. 

Ya, that's 2 and a half weeks away. 

To be fair, we don't know the exact figures. I wouldn't be surprised if it is closer to 5 million with a considerable sell on 

12 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Is he going to play ahead of Graham/Dack if they are fit? 

I imagine he would be the bench option this season unless he really impresses greatly from the get go - I would imagine he would be told that the plan is to mold him into the main striker for next season. Minutes from the bench and a good shout at being a regular starter the next season certainly sounds better to me than rotting in the Forest reserves.

7 million pounds is an awful lot of money , regardless of who their manager is he is a 19 year old with less than 10 goals in 50 odd games and isn't in the plans of a middling Championship side, now we can spin those facts either way we want, but the fact remains 7 million pounds is an eye watering fee. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

7 million pounds is an awful lot of money , regardless of who their manager is he is a 19 year old with less than 10 goals in 50 odd games and isn't in the plans of a middling Championship side, now we can spin those facts either way we want, but the fact remains 7 million pounds is an eye watering fee. 

Unless turns out be worth £30m in 12 months time!!

2 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

I wouldn't look too much into his goal scoring stats off wiki or wherever. That doesn't represent how many games were from the bench. Forrest have also struggled in recent seasons. 

I think the comment about him not being in the plans of a "middling" team are also a tad unfair. They have spent a fortune this season, whether that works out or not remains to be seen. Their manager has his views about who should be involved in the squads, he could be way off the mark. This could turn out to be a  nice steal by us if we pull it off. Always a risk, but when you see some of the fees players are going for, we need to get in on the party somewhere. I doubt it will be for 7 million anyway. I see the fee being lower with a sell on clause. 

5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Unless turns out be worth £30m in 12 months time!!

There are a lot of ifs and buts in that becoming reality. For a club such as ourselves that has been trading in the bargain bin for a number of years to seemingly having a bit of budget to play with I'm terrified we're going to blow it on a dud.

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wouldn't look too much into his goal scoring stats off wiki or wherever. That doesn't represent how many games were from the bench. Forrest have also struggled in recent seasons. 

I think the comment about him not being in the plans of a "middling" team are also a tad unfair. They have spent a fortune this season, whether that works out or not remains to be seen. Their manager has his views about who should be involved in the squads, he could be way off the mark. This could turn out to be a  nice steal by us if we pull it off. Always a risk, but when you see some of the fees players are going for, we need to get in on the party somewhere. I doubt it will be for 7 million anyway. I see the fee being lower with a sell on clause. 

As for his stats they can be twisted to suit any argument, you say some were from the bench, ok, why was he on the bench? I'm purely playing devils advocate in all this to be honest, I don't know if he's any good or not, what I do know though that is 7 million quid is a lot of dough. Whilst I do agree to some extent that at some point we need to join the party I think we need to be careful which party it is we join in, as at this stage it looks like one when you stick your keys in a bowl and end up with a one toothed hag from Padiham.

I don't think it is unfair, they've spent the last few years battling around the bottom half and spending a load of dosh and bringing in a new manager doesn't change that overnight. West Ham spent an absolute fortune this summer, doesn't stop them being absolute toilet. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

As for his stats they can be twisted to suit any argument, you say some were from the bench, ok, why was he on the bench? I'm purely playing devils advocate in all this to be honest, I don't know if he's any good or not, what I do know though that is 7 million quid is a lot of dough. Whilst I do agree to some extent that at some point we need to join the party I think we need to be careful which party it is we join in, as at this stage it looks like one when you stick your keys in a bowl and end up with a one toothed hag from Padiham.

I don't think it is unfair, they've spent the last few years battling around the bottom half and spending a load of dosh and bringing in a new manager doesn't change that overnight. West Ham spent an absolute fortune this summer, doesn't stop them being absolute toilet. 

Indeed. I think it will always be a risk with us spending that kind of cash, particularly as its kind of come out of the blue this time around. 

Perhaps you aren't unfair calling them middling,but comparing signing Brearton to bunking up with a one toothed hag from Padiham, definitely is! Even though it's an hilarious analogy 

Be a big statement if we were to buy an unproven talent like Brereton for 7 million. The kid has a lot of potential and when 7 million buys you Patrick Bamford it would undoubtedly be a risk. The market these days means every buy is their too be scrutinised though and I'd be buzzing if we pulled it off. I'd also be in disbelief, I hope the chicken farmers aren't expecting another promotion this season and when it doesn't happen the money tap gets turned off again for another 4 years. If you're going to start chucking money at it again at least give TM 2/3 seasons to build a team good enough to go up..

• Like 1

He could also be theBRFC 2018 version of Alan Shearer, except instead of £2.5m it's £6m, and instead of winning the league it's winning promotion and instead of selling him for £15m in 3 years we sell him for £40m.

Could also be the next John Stead (no offense intended John).

• Like 1

The market is crazy and continues to get dafter year by year. To me it looks clear what TM's plan is and it looks like he has sold it to venkys.

Sign young players with a ton of upside. One good season and their worth can quadruple.

He probably points at Dack now and tells them he is already worth 5 million and with another good year he could be worth over 10mil.

He has publicly said a few times how cheap he thinks we got arma. Seems a strange thing to brag about unless your half aiming at the owners ears

• Like 1

Where has the £7M come from I thought that it had risen from £5M to £6M? Either way Mowbray is not going to pay that much outright just like he didn’t pay £3M for Armstrong. We would be paying for potential, which is fair enough, so it will be a lowish figure with lots of add ons,subject to success criteria. This will to get to a final potential figure that Forrest would be happy to disclose to disgruntled supporters, just like we did with Newcastle. It won’t be a flat fee of 4,5,6 or7 million. Mowbray won’t want to take too much of a gamble. Payment based on delivered success like promotion or playing for the full England team is fair enough and would be reflected in his increased value. 

3 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

We've offered £6m and Forest reportedly want £12m - all according to The Sun. First mention of £7m is from @Bigdoggsteel, who suggested £7m as a compromise figure.

Let's drop it back down to £6m for now. ?

Seems sensible to me. ? If I suggested 9m then the message board would go mental saying why is the club paying so much for him. Let’s keep it based on the facts (albeit from Nixon) otherwise people will get carried away. ?

1 hour ago, Angry_Pirate said:

He could also be theBRFC 2018 version of Alan Shearer, except instead of £2.5m it's £6m, and instead of winning the league it's winning promotion and instead of selling him for £15m in 3 years we sell him for £40m.

Could also be the next John Stead (no offense intended John).

Or the new Martin  Britt. He was a Young England star striker when he came to Rovers. Came as a last throw of the dice to save us from relegation. Played  a handful of games and didn't score once. Down we went.

Armstrong has played 50 or so championship games, scored 7 goals (in struggling sides) and has had succesful loan spells in League 1 either side of those 6 month championship loans and will cost a maximum of 3 million. 5, 6, or 7 million pounds sounds hefty in comparison. 

Armstrong also has a better goals to games ratio for England U19's for a direct comparison.

Edited by Lancaster Rover

I don't think a strikers goalscoring record is the be all and end all. Hear me out... 

We are fortunate that our midfielders score, a big mobile lad upfront could create even more space for them to exploit. Graham is a good finisher and excellent at holding the ball up, but he isn't the quickest. Rhodes has a savage goalscoring record to a point. Would people start him instead of Graham? I like Rhodes, but he wouldn't suit us now. Mowbray obviously sees something in Brearton that will help the team. Also, he is only 19,so has a lot of time to learn and improve 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Must admit i'm uneasy about this one and who's behind it, loan for a season first or leave alone would be my take on it.  Surely they have other irons in the fire a bit more proven ?

Not being smart, but who proven could we get for 5-6 million or even on loan? People might say Bamford, but he isn't proven in my eyes. We have Graham, I like idea of him having an apprentice :)

• Like 1