BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

Players get pilloried on here for poor scoring records when we look at signing them so because this one is a lot of money and now someone we've all decided is a world beater we cant then disregard the wisdom that's gone before. He's here to score goals and for 5, 6 or 7 million quid he'd have to score bucketfuls of them.

Grabban cost Forest 6 million quid, this lad can't get in their side whichever way we dress it up and it going to cost us more. Doesn't stack up in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong if he comes I will wholeheartedly support the lad and hope he becomes an all time great, but the fee in comparison to long time established goalscorers and young players with more pedigree seems very high.

• Like 6

Big fee, but trust in Mowbray. I’ve heard about brereton a lot from my friends, never personally seen him play, but he’s gonna be next level in my opinion. Don’t have any facts to back that up however.

Also I think 5-6 million is the going fee for young, English players who have played for England at youth level and is relatively experienced in the championship. 

33 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Seems odd to me that no-one had even heard of Brereton until SSN reported we'd put a bid of £5m in for him on deadline day.

If he's that good why do Forest nor want to use him?

Heard about Brereton about 2 years ago. Liverpool were linked with him for around 15 million pounds not long ago

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not being smart, but who proven could we get for 5-6 million or even on loan? People might say Bamford, but he isn't proven in my eyes. We have Graham, I like idea of him having an apprentice :)

There are players out there obviously otherwise half the championship would be after this lad, they aren't because A) He's unproven he's just supposed potential  B  )  Because of A he's a tad expensive but his club don't want to sell him unless the money is too good.

That's why try before you buy is the best way here given what's at stake.

16 minutes ago, Igloo5090 said:

Also I think 5-6 million is the going fee for young, English players who have played for England at youth level and is relatively experienced in the championship. 

Armstrong meets that definition. You will be aware how much he cost.

Got to trust Mowbray on this, if he indeed is being given such a budget then he deserves the chance to spend it.

Brereton another one that even for £5-7 million will likely be worth a lot more than that in 2-3 years if does well in the Championship.

That's what it is all about with Venkys and no doubt that's how Mowbray is selling things to the owners - back me with some cash and worst case scenario these players will retain their value, more likely increase in value whilst performing for the club.

No problem whatsoever with that approach provided the priority is on winning games and collecting points not on individual development and sell-on.

Sell for a big profit if a Premier League club comes a knocking yes. Sell to a Championship rival no.

I very much doubt we'll be hitting that level. More likely to be a loan and then re-assess down the line or a few million up front with the same again in add-ons over several years.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Seems odd to me that no-one had even heard of Brereton until SSN reported we'd put a bid of £5m in for him on deadline day.

If he's that good why do Forest nor want to use him?

I find it a little unusual as well Rev. Keep reading that he was linked to Liverpool and Man U 'not so long ago'.  If he is the real deal, it is very surprising he hasn't been hoovered up by one of the 'big' clubs - never mind not being good enough to command a starting place at Forest!

2 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I find it a little unusual as well Rev. Keep reading that he was linked to Liverpool and Man U 'not so long ago'.  If he is the real deal, it is very surprising he hasn't been hoovered up by one of the 'big' clubs - never mind not being good enough to command a starting place at Forest!

To say he is only 19 now he was used a lot last year. It is only because of the new experienced strikers they have now that are keeping him out of the starting line up. 

• Backroom
20 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Got to trust Mowbray on this, if he indeed is being given such a budget then he deserves the chance to spend it.

Brereton another one that even for £5-7 million will likely be worth a lot more than that in 2-3 years if does well in the Championship.

That's what it is all about with Venkys and no doubt that's how Mowbray is selling things to the owners - back me with some cash and worst case scenario these players will retain their value, more likely increase in value whilst performing for the club.

No problem whatsoever with that approach provided the priority is on winning games and collecting points not on individual development and sell-on.

Sell for a big profit if a Premier League club comes a knocking yes. Sell to a Championship rival no.

I very much doubt we'll be hitting that level. More likely to be a loan and then re-assess down the line or a few million up front with the same again in add-ons over several years.

Not too dissimilar to the structure under Bowyer. I wonder how much the likes of Tom Cairney would have cost us in today's market? From recollection we got him for under a million...

• Like 1

I’ve seen bits and pieces of Bereton and he looks very, very talented. Would be a massive coup if we got him. Skilful and pacy. Not really a Danny Graham type of striker from what I’ve seen. 

I’m shocked that Forest are willing to let their best young player go, but I think they’re going for quick fixes in the transfer market and hoping for promotion this year, rather than building a team for the future.

Is it me or is TM quietly building a very talented young team here?

I was underwhelmed by the Rothwell signing but he’s looked very impressive so far, I think he may well be a proper player. Armstrong was a steal at £1.75m too. Daveport and Palmer promising signings too.

• Like 4

I would take Brereton over Gallagher. Brereton has great potential and thats the type of signing we should be making. I understand its a risk but a risk worth taking for me. 

I like Gallagher but his wages would put me off big time unless he willing to lower his wages. 

No point judging a 19 (!!!) year old striker on his goal record in a championship side that have in recent years both struggled, and played him out of position. Judge him on what you see for yourself, he's a young lad with bags of potential. Much rather we signed someone like him than some of the others mentioned on here like Pilkington and Chris Martin? Hardly in-keeping with our young and hungry ethos mowbray has developed in such a short period of time.

17 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

No point judging a 19 (!!!) year old striker on his goal record in a championship side that have in recent years both struggled, and played him out of position. Judge him on what you see for yourself, he's a young lad with bags of potential. Much rather we signed someone like him than some of the others mentioned on here like Pilkington and Chris Martin? Hardly in-keeping with our young and hungry ethos mowbray has developed in such a short period of time.

Agreed and this money has probably only been made available on the condition it's spent on someone with re-sale value, I doubt Mowbray would be given the go ahead to spend this sort of money on a 28-29 year old.

Brereton would be an exciting signing seen him a few times and looks a talent.But would be looking elsewhere if they are wanting more than 6 million.If we are still negotiating after being turned down deadline day then the club must be confident a deal can be done.

Who ever we bring it in I hope it happens soon,Hull saturday and Reading on Wednesday, no new signings seem close.

What happened to the signing we were supposed to be getting midweek (today)?

Edited by islander200

One of my main concerns is in terms of the actual role that he plays. 

His main attributes are his pace and his ability to run in behind. He has also played from a wide position. Very similar attributes to Armstrong. Last season he gave Arsenal a torrid time running in behind. But im not convinced its within his armoury to play effectively with his back to goal.

We cant really just have Graham who cannot usually last full games as an option to hold the ball up.

If it was a permanent deal the signing would be one greeted with cautious optimism as he would definitely add to our attack but it is a lot of money for a player who might not start every week.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

One of my main concerns is in terms of the actual role that he plays. 

His main attributes are his pace and his ability to run in behind. He has also played from a wide position. Very similar attributes to Armstrong. Last season he gave Arsenal a torrid time running in behind. But im not convinced its within his armoury to play effectively with his back to goal.

We cant really just have Graham who cannot usually last full games as an option to hold the ball up.

If it was a permanent deal the signing would be one greeted with cautious optimism as he would definitely add to our attack but it is a lot of money for a player who might not start every week.

If Mowbray’s spending 6 million on him, I have no doubt he’ll be starting games before we know it. Graham won’t last forever, as much as he’s adored. And Mowbray has hinted last night that Graham is struggling a bit already after he said he’s putting ice on his knees after every training session.

Edited by Guest