BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Ben Brereton on Youtube. Shows Skills, goals, pace and good touch. And before people jump on by saying anyone can look good this was down my site called scouting football. Over 18k followers on Youtube. 

https://youtu.be/Z0Z7ctj5s6Y

I remember somebody putting up a video of Antonnson on here. He was banging goals in left, right and centre. I thought he could be the next Matt Jansen. Until I saw him play once in the flesh. His limitations were there for all to see.

• Like 4

Wasn't being dismissive, but rather cautious. I do hope we recruit some quality into the team (without negatively impacting the team spirit) and can hold our own in the division this season. I need more than hot air and platitudes repeated endlessly ad nauseam, in order to convince me that we are on track to do more than survive. That's all.

Hey guys. This guy is banging them in in the Saudi A league and this YouTube video proves it. Think his name is carlos villa-something. Go get him TM. 

(seriously though, some of the defending in that video I think I could score) 

Edited by Drover

6 hours ago, ewoodnews said:

Working on deals

Sam Gallagher is still a chance on loan just have to wait and see

Lad from Forrest is able to come on loan just wanting to agree price.

No other news but will be speaking to people on Thursday.

Who is the imminent one Mowbray is talking about then?

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Ben Brereton on Youtube. Shows Skills, goals, pace and good touch. And before people jump on by saying anyone can look good this was down my site called scouting football. Over 18k followers on Youtube. 

What?? ‘This was down my site called scouting football’ I have no idea what you are trying to say here. Are you saying it’s on your site so it must be ok? Or are you saying that just because it’s on a showreel site with 18k followers it must also be ok??

As someone alluded to, do you remember the Carlos Villanueva showreel?

My two penneth worth, I think (from my limited knowledge) that he’s a good prospect and at 19 years old he has time to develop. If we are paying in excess of £5m though i would expect someone a bit more proven, Grabban and Bamford have gone for similar figures and are more established players.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks Chaddy. A good watch. He looks capable of playing across the front 4.

37 minutes ago, Ricky said:

What?? ‘This was down my site called scouting football’ I have no idea what you are trying to say here. Are you saying it’s on your site so it must be ok? Or are you saying that just because it’s on a showreel site with 18k followers it must also be ok??

As someone alluded to, do you remember the Carlos Villanueva showreel?

My two penneth worth, I think (from my limited knowledge) that he’s a good prospect and at 19 years old he has time to develop. If we are paying in excess of £5m though i would expect someone a bit more proven, Grabban and Bamford have gone for similar figures and are more established players.

If this was the old " Loadsamoney  " Rovers you could say " Yeah sign the lad, he's a gamble but we can stand the loss if he turns out to be the new Ashley Ward, Nathan Blake, Kevin Davies etc etc  ".

As we all know things have changed. This could be the equivalent of betting the ranch on a young untried player. We could lump all our dosh on " red " and " black " turns up. Unless of course we have got more money to spend than we all think. Our current recruitment would suggest that's not the case. For that sort of money I'd like a more proven player at this level.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Butty said:

If I have to see one more person talking about trusting Mowbray I may just top myself. I have not seen one Rovers fan say they don't trust Mowbray, he's our most liked manager in years. I was going to say since Big Sam but I'd say he's more liked than Sam was when he was here at the time, so he's our most liked manager since Sparky!! Anyway, my point is every decision every transfer, everything a player or manager does is open to debate, question and scrutiny it's why we have a forum, potentially spending 6 million pounds on an unproven player is a risky buy. It's not a case of not trusting TM's judgment it's just a fact! I hope we sign him and I hope he turns out too be the next Shearer but until then instead of saying "trust Mowbray" let fans say their bit and give their opinion, it's why I come on here. I like seeing and reading what other people have too say... Unless all they have too say is "Trust Mowbray FFS!!" ;) :lol: 

It really is daft throwing it in every two mins because people can just turn around and say Gladwin, Whittingham, Samuel etc .... Didn't cost huge money but any money at the time was a big outlay for the club and non of them will be on peanuts.

Point is even the best get it wrong now and again even when they are trusting their own life long judgement, Grabbi/Kalinic being good examples. Fans have the right to question but you might as well close the forum down if you follow that fellas answers to everything. Someone who only ever seems to turn up when there's a few quid to spend....

The line 'It's not your money anyway' .... well I won't even start on that !!!!

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If this was the old " Loadsamoney  " Rovers you could say " Yeah sign the lad, he's a gamble but we can stand the loss if he turns out to be the new Ashley Ward, Nathan Blake, Kevin Davies etc etc  ".

As we all know things have changed. This could be the equivalent of betting the ranch on a young untried player. We could lump all our dosh on " red " and " black " turns up. Unless of course we have got more money to spend than we all think. Our current recruitment would suggest that's not the case. For that sort of money I'd like a more proven player at this level.

Like who? 

Personally I think Brereton would benefit a lot from learning under Mowbray and Danny Graham. A lot of younger strikers first and foremost need to work on their hold-up play and decision making, plus get that little bit of composure by getting match experience at a higher level. Knowing he'd be first or second pick here rather than third or fourth at Forest will hopefully be enough to convince him of joining, but if I read ewoodnews' post correctly, then we're only trying to agree the loan fee as Forest are not looking to sell...?

We can debate whether the money is well spent when we actually spend some and the player(s) have chance to prove their worth on the pitch.

Until then its all ifs, buts and maybes because there's been lots of talk of signings but none actually have arrived.

I still expect whatever incomings we get will be loans without a commitment to buy which will be dressed up as good deals because we aren't committing to a substantial fee in advance. Unfortunately if you approach football with that attitude you'll never get anywhere as sooner or later you have to take risks and put money on the line rather than look to avoid spending at every turn.

Seems the party line is changing as last week the Telegraph were telling people that there was a big pot of money sat there waiting to be spent, Mowbray then said over the weekend that he'd be looking at loans and hoping the money was still there in future, now the Telegraph are setting it up for a Brereton loan with no option to buy which really doesn't do us any favours in the medium to long term and no doubt Forest would be absolutely delighted to send one of their bright prospects here for some experience and to get back to fitness after his exploits in Finland over the summer.

2 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Like who? 

Personally I think Brereton would benefit a lot from learning under Mowbray and Danny Graham. A lot of younger strikers first and foremost need to work on their hold-up play and decision making, plus get that little bit of composure by getting match experience at a higher level. Knowing he'd be first or second pick here rather than third or fourth at Forest will hopefully be enough to convince him of joining, but if I read ewoodnews' post correctly, then we're only trying to agree the loan fee as Forest are not looking to sell...?

Dont think I would want him purely as a loan - that only benefits Forest as it increases his value if he does well. Would rather take a young PL striker if we are just going to loan without a permanent fee agreed. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Like who? 

I don't know because I'm not a scout. Forest knew who to sign though because they signed a proven striker in Grabban and put this kid on the bench. I'd have Grabban tomorrow. If we were an established Championship side I'd say we could take a gamble, but we aren't. It's absolutely Imperative we stay up this season. We need players who will definitely help us stay up, not players who might.

Watching the video this lad likes to start out wide and come inside all the time.  He also favours his right hand side a lot. He's new to the league and opponents haven't figured him out yet. They'll be working on that. I didn't see any signs of heading ability for a tall lad. 

Jim won't be signing him anyway - he wears gloves !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't know because I'm not a scout. Forest knew who to sign though because they signed a proven striker in Grabban and put this kid on the bench. I'd have Grabban tomorrow. If we were an established Championship side I'd say we could take a gamble, but we aren't. It's absolutely Imperative we stay up this season. We need players who will definitely help us stay up, not players who might.

When getting any player you cannot say they definitely will or wont help us stay up. It's all a gamble, let's hope we are lucky with whoever we get.

1 minute ago, rigger said:

When getting any player you cannot say they definitely will or wont help us stay up. It's all a gamble, let's hope we are lucky with whoever we get.

Yes you are right. No signing is a certainty at our level. However if you get a guy in who has been a regular scorer in this division it's not unreasonable to expect goals from him.

Yesterday was the big day for progress. The players had time off after Carlisle so Mowbray could focus his efforts on getting deals done. The players will be back in today and tomorrow so there will be lots of focus on the Hull game.

I think it's now looking unlikely there will be someone in before the weekend, even at this stage it is then unlikely they would be included on Saturday. Brereton is supposedly not to full fitness following the summer tournament so if it is him it's pretty certain he wouldn't feature on Saturday. 

Of the others that have been bandied around (Gallagher and Chapman) only Gallagher would be in a position to be involved on Saturday. 

34 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yes you are right. No signing is a certainty at our level. However if you get a guy in who has been a regular scorer in this division it's not unreasonable to expect goals from him.

And who is available that can do this? Not having a go, just curious to see who you think we could get instead?