BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

42 minutes ago, 47er said:

And they didn't pay 12 M.

Yes but Karanka and forest are obviously going all out for promotion this season, and currently Grabban is a better bet for goals. Whereas Mowbray has stated several times that he is building a team, so buying players with potential.

The only reason people are bothered with the (potential) Brereton signing is because they want him to go all out for promotion this season. Which he knows is slightly unrealistic.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Igloo5090 said:

Yes but Karanka and forest are obviously going all out for promotion this season, and currently Grabban is a better bet for goals. Whereas Mowbray has stated several times that he is building a team, so buying players with potential.

The only reason people are bothered with the (potential) Brereton signing is because they want him to go all out for promotion this season. Which he knows is slightly unrealistic.

Nailed it! Ta

16 minutes ago, Igloo5090 said:

I think the opposite is true in terms of why people are bothered about the potential Brereton signing, I think most fans first and foremost want to go all out to retain our status as a Championship club this season, anything over that is bonus territory. Brereton is an unknown quantity and an expensive one at that, given the recent history I think most fans want a steady pair of hands this year that will see us safe in the league and look to build over the coming years. 

I don't think anyone realistically think we should be chasing promotion do they? Every fan I've spoken to see this as a great opportunity to consolidate and build on the good work that began last year.

Edited by Lancaster Rover
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

Just noticed that Charlton have just signed Krystian Bielik from Arsenal on loan for the season. Does that mean Bauer could be leaving?

I don’t think so I’m afraid. Charlton have a long long list of injuries at the moment and were desperate for cover.

I don’t think TM is the kind to risk our future like some claim on an unproven striker. He’s obviously had the green light from Venky’s that they’ll subsidise any funds he sees fit, and the FFP rules are slightly more relaxed than when we had an embargo, with shareholder subsidies/investment being a key change. He seems to have won them over in this regard (spending well over a million in League 1 with money to spare despite not spending a penny for 18 months).

If you cast your mind back to when TM came back from India he went on record as to saying how excited the Venky’s were and that he had to calm them down as they wanted to throw money at it this season and “go for promotion” again, in an almost do or die attitude. He said he likes building teams slowly, adding quality over 2/3/4 windows. Howeber we all know what Venky’s are like, and one ‘poor’ season could see this money vanish, perhaps why TM seems desperate to invest it and so disappointed he didn’t manage to in the actual transfer window.

1 minute ago, OnePhilT said:

Are two clubs allowed to have a binding agreement to the sale of a player in the next window when the permanent window is closed?

Yes. Which makes a mockery of this new transfer window system.

• Backroom
1 minute ago, OnePhilT said:

I think this "we've bid £6m for Brereton" is over-egged by The Sun and co. If there's any truth to it, it'll surely just be an option-to-buy fee after the loan is completed. Any buying club would be taking a huge risk to agree a permanent transfer now for it to only happen in January (what if the player breaks his leg in the meantime?). Unless there is some way that this would work that I can't think of.

I think we may be trying to negotiate whether it's option or obligation, as well as the amount.

Eg: A £6m obligation may suit Forest rather than a £10m option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Igloo5090 said:

Not as unrealistic as the fee they want.:unsure:

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't know because I'm not a scout. Forest knew who to sign though because they signed a proven striker in Grabban and put this kid on the bench. I'd have Grabban tomorrow. If we were an established Championship side I'd say we could take a gamble, but we aren't. It's absolutely Imperative we stay up this season. We need players who will definitely help us stay up, not players who might.

Watching the video this lad likes to start out wide and come inside all the time.  He also favours his right hand side a lot. He's new to the league and opponents haven't figured him out yet. They'll be working on that. I didn't see any signs of heading ability for a tall lad. 

Jim won't be signing him anyway - he wears gloves !

Grabban is 30 years old and cost £6 million, and on PL wages. It's not the 'Venky's model' to pay over the odds for players with no resale value either. Besides, we have Graham on our books who's proven and Armstrong who has proven he fits well into our system, so I'm not too worried if we sign a 19 year-old. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if the Brereton offer was a deadline day panic and now the moment has passed the urgency is gone. The fact we left it so late does suggest our budget is minimal and we are trying to make the best use of it. Still not convinced we offered £6m but if we did it must have been another one with add-ons and sell-ons.

We could well be in the same position until 31st August. Just hope that we aren’t all let down (again) by the club getting their negotiating strategy wrong. It’s all well and good people saying “trust Mowbray” but if it is Waggott who is negotiating these deals and is being as tight-fisted and penny-pinching with other clubs as he is with Rovers fans then Mowbray may well have been just as disappointed as us.

• Like 1

Just now, Torgeir said:

Grabban is 30 years old and cost £6 million, and on PL wages. It's not the 'Venky's model' to pay over the odds for players with no resale value either. Besides, we have Graham on our books who's proven and Armstrong who has proven he fits well into our system, so I'm not too worried if we sign a 19 year-old. 

Well over the odds with no resale value...

Best £3.4m

Petrovic £3m

Formica £3m

Etuhu £1.7m

Arguable resale value at the time...

Dann £6m (arguably seduced by the Phil Jones sake - sold for far less)

Goodwillie £3m

Gladwin £1.5m

Slew £1m

We haven’t half chucked some money at failure.

And I’m not even sure Venkys have a model. They are so unpredictable. We spent nothing for years (post-parachutes) and now seem to have money?

Just now, OnePhilT said:

What is our negotiating strategy?

On the face of it, it seems to be picking up L1 players and available loans. Then going in during the last few days of the window with unacceptable offers - presumably loaded with low risk additional payments which take these towards the asking price. E.g. promotion.

16 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

That's fine. I'm not you and I'm not Venkies. You can't always plan beyond the end of the current season. I remember watching Tiny Taylor and Johanneson playing at centre half for us and thinking that once they developed we had that element of the team covered for the long term.

That went well didn't it ? Reason being they never developed beyond a certain level. 

38 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

We can't have bought many players under Venkys who were sold for a profit?

Cairney, is the first one i can think of but Venkys still screwed that one up as he went for the square root of F**k all.

Rudy maybe another, can't remember the figures involved.

Edited by davulsukur

19 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Well over the odds with no resale value...

Best £3.4m

Petrovic £3m

Formica £3m

Etuhu £1.7m

Arguable resale value at the time...

Dann £6m (arguably seduced by the Phil Jones sake - sold for far less)

Goodwillie £3m

Gladwin £1.5m

Slew £1m

THEY haven’t half chucked some money at failure.

And I’m not even sure Venkys have a model. They are so unpredictable. We spent nothing for years (post-parachutes) and now seem to have money?

Fixed for ya. 

17 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's fine. I'm not you and I'm not Venkies. You can't always plan beyond the end of the current season. I remember watching Tiny Taylor and Johanneson playing at centre half for us and thinking that once they developed we had that element of the team covered for the long term.

That went well didn't it ? Reason being they never developed beyond a certain level. 

Yet we would all prefer permanent signings over loans