BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Sorry what?

I didn't recall a fee at the time, but is that what it was? Looking a the bloke's very patchy career spent largely in lower and non league, on what planet was he worth that kind of money? 

There’s no way on God’s Earth we bought Gladwin for £1.5m. Think he’s got his wires crossed. At the time i heard around 400k.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Nixon seems to think it means we are 

Nixon may be right. But it’s hardly a well kept secret that we want him. The injury their captain picked up at Sunderland must not be as bad as it first looked!

4 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

We can't have bought many players under Venkys who were sold for a profit?

Cairney, is the first one i can think of but Venkys still screwed that one up as he went for the square root of F**k all.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Gestede, Duffy, Marshall ?

Don't forget Rhodes ;)

I think we made profits relative to the initial outlay (not in accounting terms, which would be higher profits!) on King, Olsson, Judge (WOOO!!!), Mahoney, possible Steele (haha...), Rochina (if you ignore agent fees.....), and Koita (haha)

Anyway, the profits made on Cairney (albeit too low in retrospect in what seemed to be a panic sell), Gestede, and Duffy were pretty sensational, as player trading goes...

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Sorry what?

I didn't recall a fee at the time, but is that what it was? Looking a the bloke's very patchy career spent largely in lower and non league, on what planet was he worth that kind of money? 

I don't think that fee has ever been reported/rumoured, but I vaguely recall a poster saying Mowbray said at a conference that it was free + add-ons...

• Backroom
37 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Well over the odds with no resale value...

Best £3.4m

Petrovic £3m

Formica £3m

Etuhu £1.7m

Arguable resale value at the time...

Dann £6m (arguably seduced by the Phil Jones sake - sold for far less)

Goodwillie £3m

Gladwin £1.5m

Slew £1m

We haven’t half chucked some money at failure.

And I’m not even sure Venkys have a model. They are so unpredictable. We spent nothing for years (post-parachutes) and now seem to have money?

Formica and Petrovic both had resale value at the time, surely? Thought thwy were like 22/23.

Gladwin price. Although to be fair, most media outlets say undisclosed.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/blackburn-rovers/english-football-teams/blackburn-rovers-transfers

Scratch that from the list if it makes people feel better about Venkys spending.

Or if you are @Bigdoggsteel then keep only that one. It’s a great way to miss the point completely and help you in your mission to look for any opportunity to get a personal dig in. :) 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Rich Sharpe reported the deadline day bid that we put in for Brereton in excess of £5m. The latest £6m bid has been reported by Alan Nixon in The Sun. I can't see how Nixon's story works - a bid to buy him right now for January? I can't see why we'd take such a stupid risk to agree to a purchase now for a player that we'll get permanently in five months time. And even if he's on loan here, who knows how it will go. I can only imagine that it's an option to buy, if there's any truth to it. And that's not the same as a bid.

What is our negotiating strategy?

I may be missing something but I don't see the difference between paying £6mil for a player now or loaning him with a contract to pay £6mil in the next window. In the end he has still cost the same and he is still your player whether he is a success or not. It makes no difference.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Formica and Petrovic both had resale value at the time, surely? Thought thwy were like 22/23.

We were going to sell them for £5-£6m plus? When you count wages that’s what you’d be looking at to get any value out of them.

Maybe you had more foresight/optimism than me!

22 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Gestede, Duffy, Marshall ?

Unsure on Marshall, seem to remember he was sold for a small fee.

Duffy, yeah we will have made some cash, £2.5million maybe.

And Rhodes as BDS mentions.

So we've signed a few more than i thought who we sold for a profit.

Edited by davulsukur

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

We were going to sell them for £5-£6m plus? When you count wages that’s what you’d be looking at to get any value out of them.

Maybe you had more foresight/optimism than me!

Tbf, I genuinely liked Formica at the time. And I thought I heard that Petrovic made something of himself.

May be wrong

13 minutes ago, Stuart said:

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/blackburn-rovers/english-football-teams/blackburn-rovers-transfers

Scratch that from the list if it makes people feel better about Venkys spending.

Or if you are @Bigdoggsteel then keep only that one. It’s a great way to miss the point completely and help you in your mission to look for any opportunity to get a personal dig in. :) 

It was a joke Stuart, saying "lay off the green til after 9pm" isn't a "personal attack" where I come from, no need to be so touchy because you said something incorrect and it was noticed. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Taken from Rovers Twitter:

More from the manager: “We’re still working hard on bringing players in and I’m hopeful. We’ll try to get the best deals for the players who can help our club. We’ll try to get the work done and be stronger by the time the window shuts.” #Rovers

The 3 moving, can't be moving very fast!

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Taken from Rovers Twitter:

More from the manager: “We’re still working hard on bringing players in and I’m hopeful. We’ll try to get the best deals for the players who can help our club. We’ll try to get the work done and be stronger by the time the window shuts.” #Rovers

The 3 moving, can't be moving very fast!

No, Mowbray must be frustrated with it, but he would be too professional and focused on winning games to make an issue of it 

17 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Although, to be fair, you are wrong, so just give it up! People will scratch it from your list because you got it wrong, not because it makes them feel better about Venkys spending. 

Odd defensiveness Stuart 

14 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Unsure on Marshall, seem to remember he was sold for a small fee.

Duffy, yeah we will have made some cash, £2.5million maybe.

And Rhodes as BDS mentions.

So we've signed a few more than i thought who we sold for a profit.

We made 3.5-4 million on Duffy. Signed him for 500,000 and sold him for either 4 or 4.5 million. Can't remember which. In hindsight it was a poor fee considering he is playing week in week out in the Premier league now and is Irelands 1st choice centre half. We should have received at least 10-12 million. Anyway, lets not rehash the situation around him leaving. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

11 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

We can't pay £6m for him now. The window is shut. Apparently, we can agree a binding contract now to pay £6m in January, though. And that's quite alarming... What if he breaks his leg between now and January? Do we still have to pay? Would Forest even agree to a stipulation that says we don't buy him if he breaks his leg? What if we agree to the deal and Forest let him rot in the reserves during the five months? Or what if he comes on loan to Rovers in the meantime but is garbage? An option-to-buy is fine, but an obligation to buy at a fixed price agreed now isn't, to my mind! That's why I'm not sure about the story in the first place. Unless I'm the one that's missing something.

Becasue its essentially a permanent signing just with a different name in this daft window. If we signed him before the last window he prob gets a 3.5 year deal and he is our player.

Now it would be 0.5 yr loan and a 3yr deal. Its still a permaanent deal, just worded differently

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It was a joke Stuart, saying "lay off the green til after 9pm" isn't a "personal attack" where I come from, no need to be so touchy because you said something incorrect and it was noticed. 

Maybe try to get the ‘jokes’ in a little less frequently...

And ‘attack’ is your word, mine was ‘dig’ so please don’t use speech marks.

You do understand what is meant by a straw man, right?

32 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

There’s no way on God’s Earth we bought Gladwin for £1.5m. Think he’s got his wires crossed. At the time i heard around 400k.

That's about right. The biggest fee was Dack at £750grand.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

On the face of it, it's a loophole, but again, I can't imagine a buying club binding themselves to the transfer fee at that point. Option-to-buy, sure, but legal obligation to pay that fee 6-12 months beforehand? Nah!

Its the opposite of that though. Its a perma signing, but you defer payment for 6 months while you save up and empty your copper jar

2 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Maybe try to get the ‘jokes’ in a little less frequently...

And ‘attack’ is your word, mine was ‘dig’ so please don’t use speech marks.

You do understand what is meant by a straw man, right?

I know what is meant by man anyway, and I think you need to act like one. I'm not getting involved in these school girl fights you seem to get involved in from time to time. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

We can't pay £6m for him now. The window is shut. Apparently, we can agree a binding contract now to pay £6m in January, though. And that's quite alarming... What if he breaks his leg between now and January? Do we still have to pay? Would Forest even agree to a stipulation that says we don't buy him if he breaks his leg? What if we agree to the deal and Forest let him rot in the reserves during the five months? Or what if he comes on loan to Rovers in the meantime but is garbage? An option-to-buy is fine, but an obligation to buy at a fixed price agreed now isn't, to my mind! That's why I'm not sure about the story in the first place. Unless I'm the one that's missing something.

I don't think you understood my point. It's like a purchase but you do not pay until January.

• Like 2