BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Alan Myers tends to recycle stories and rumours already in the public domain. Don't think hes in touch with Rovers any more.

Really? Most of the staff are still when he was here. 

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

He's the next Pele mate.I have it from a reliable source that both us and Real Madrid have agreed deals with Forest and the player is 80% certain he wants to come here but his agent is trying to lean him toward going to Madrid so Brereton has asked Mowbray for the weekend to think about it.

Really?

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Please explain?

What would you do with the money and which would you target?

Odd question. Surely it needs no explanation? How about a couple of players at £4m. Christ, Dack is being touted as the best player outside the PL and he cost less than £1m. Armstrong was £1.2m plus add-ons. £8m is a bloody fortune for us.

Are you telling me we couldn’t find that kind of value anywhere? May as well sack our scouting team if the fans need to put names forward.

As noble as it is, we seem obsessed with British and English players. Other clubs find value overseas yet we do not. There should be a balance. I’ve never known a Rovers squad with so few foreign players. Raya and Nyambe bring the only first team regulars with Leutweiler making up the squad’s foreign players.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Surely £8m could be better spent?

I agree , I am probably going to be in the minority here but I wouldn't want us to spend £8m on one player certainly not a 19 year old with "potential"  I would much prefer to spend half that one someone who like Chris Martin or Rudy Gestede or Scott  Hogan or someone like that  who albeit older but less of a risk and the other on improving midfield and defence

Edited by AJW
  • Like 1

Interesting how uncomfortable people seem to be about the prospect of spending money. Even when the person proposing to spend it is our much trusted and respected Tony Mowbray and the owners spending it have spent next to nothing for years. Don't think many Forest fans were complaining whilst spending 25 million this summer.

We're completely at the behest of Venkys. If they want to spend it that's up to them and if they don't that's up to them. The clubs existence is currently on their whim so a bit of money on some decent players who are likely to grow in value won't change that.

Oh, and we haven't committed to a penny yet.

£8m is a lot of money @chaddyrovers and @Stuart cant be expected to list a shortlist of other potential signings as he is, presumably, not a professional scout.

For me, there are a lot of question marks. We'd be spending a massive chunk of money, a club record amount, on someone with a very underwhelming goal record thus far, we'd be paying for potential. Last time we spent this much, the striker we bought was a proven goalscorer.

My questions are in regards to his style of play mainly, he has played many games wide having read up on him, we need a focal point more than anything, he sounds like a player who is quick and runs towards goal, similar to Armstrong.

Surely we wouldnt spend that much on a striker to play him wide? 

I would be cautiously excited to see him join, I'm sure he is a huge upgrade on Samuel (who isnt) and hes very highly rated but for that sum of money some people may expect someone to be the first name on the teamsheet.

I've only seen him once that I recall, v Arsenal, he tore them to shreds in terms of running behind Mertesacker but he missed a few chances if I recall. Not interested in videos that can make anyone look good.

Would rather have him than not but take on board peoples suggestions that surely there is better value in spreading the money across 2 or 3 players.

And chaddy, Alan Myers said "not sure tbh" when asked how likely it is. He is just echoing what was already in the public domain, as he did with the Freeman bid.

• Like 1

If we do sign him for that sort of money then surely Mowbray will have to be starting him.

It's all well and good thinking he can spend a year learning under Graham but if we pay over 5 million then Mowbray will have to play him.

3 minutes ago, AJW said:

I agree , I am probably going to be in the minority here but I wouldn't want us to spend £8m on one player certainly not a 19 year old with "potential"  I would much prefer to spend half that one someone who like Chris Martin or Rudy Gestede or Scott  Hogan or someone like that  who albeit older but less of a risk

Those players will want huge wages though.They will all be on 30grand a week at least already 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes. Brereton has great potential and I would like him here. 

Interesting, because in June you said:

Rovers clearly arent willing chuck millions and Millions at Promotion but do it a smarter way less cost way of building a squad with good players. 

Well lets agree on 3 million pounds come from season tickets sales thats 25% percent of our wage budget. Big help to Mowbray signing players. Yes you are right it wouldnt get us signing players at 10 million but I wouldnt want that anyway.’

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 8

Just now, RovingRover said:

We are still actively trying to sign Wil Trapp apparently.
If what I was told earlier is true. We are trying to sign him with a view to make his transfer permanent next January, before his contract enters the final 6 months.
Club isn't entirely sure he wants to come however.

I've no idea but doesn't the MLS season finish in Nov-Jan time?  If so wouldn't it be strange if his contract ended in June/July?

4 minutes ago, AJW said:

I agree , I am probably going to be in the minority here but I wouldn't want us to spend £8m on one player certainly not a 19 year old with "potential"  I would much prefer to spend half that one someone who like Chris Martin or Rudy Gestede or Scott  Hogan or someone like that  who albeit older but less of a risk and the other on improving midfield and defence

How much do you think Gestede cost Boro or Hogan cost Villa? It was nearly 8 million for them both. 

Strikers have always come at a premium. 

Someone made a good point about his wages, he wouldn’t be on that much compared to other strikers in the division, so if you worked it out over the length of four years say?

7 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

We are still actively trying to sign Wil Trapp apparently.
If what I was told earlier is true. We are trying to sign him with a view to make his transfer permanent next January, before his contract enters the final 6 months.
Club isn't entirely sure he wants to come however.

So a loan first then? Any fee mentioned?

It all seems a bit strange this £5-8M  for a young prospect.  As many others have stated, are we in a position to gamble so much on potential?

Has Balaji told TM that if he finds a  youngster for 'investment' on relatively low wages that he will fund it? 

It does seem like TM is aiming a lot higher than most of us would have thought,  or hoped even the more optimistic of us.

IF the rumours about McGinn/Freeman were also true it would suggest had we signed them we would have been aiming for playoffs or close.

The more TM  spends (if the loans are to buy) the higher the expectations, the more pressure. 

8 minutes ago, CraigF said:

How much do you think Gestede cost Boro or Hogan cost Villa? It was nearly 8 million for them both. 

Strikers have always come at a premium. 

Someone made a good point about his wages, he wouldn’t be on that much compared to other strikers in the division, so if you worked it out over the length of four years say?

They arnt worth that today though , none are first team regulars either , take them on loan with view to buy if they're a success great if not ship them back , far safer than spending £8m on Brerton Imo 

11 minutes ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

I've no idea but doesn't the MLS season finish in Nov-Jan time?  If so wouldn't it be strange if his contract ended in June/July?

I believe his contract expires in November. But clubs can sign a pre-contract in July/August time.

6 minutes ago, Swanson said:

So a loan first then? Any fee mentioned?

Honestly. Haven't the foggiest. That is the extent of what I have heard.

Biggest hurdle might be persuading him to come to the UK. Think he and his family are pretty settled in the States.

13 minutes ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/05/11/tenorio-columbus-crew-sc-captain-wil-trapp-acquires-greek-passport

This seems to say his contract runs until the end of 2020.

it's all strange.

it feels like a luxury buy from a team who already has it all not a buy from someone who's biggest buy has been 750k for the last 3-4 years.

My only knowledge of the player is buying him on fifa this year, did very well though ?.

I don't think anyone would be upset for him to sign, he's clearly a prospect, who'd have to fail miserably for us not to at least recoup our outlay. But the opportunity cost of buying him would rightly annoy many. we could buy 4 first team players for the cash.

Or are venky starting something and is this a start of a big project where we will be spending like this every window (unlikely) 

Edited by bboy

• Backroom
16 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Interesting, because in June you said:

Rovers clearly arent willing chuck millions and Millions at Promotion but do it a smarter way less cost way of building a squad with good players. 

Well lets agree on 3 million pounds come from season tickets sales thats 25% percent of our wage budget. Big help to Mowbray signing players. Yes you are right it wouldnt get us signing players at 10 million but I wouldnt want that anyway.’

Add to that i don’t recall Brereton ever being mentioned as a good option until we are linked then we should definitely sign him for £8m - until we don’t sign him and the club was definitely right not to spend so much on him.

• Like 4

Just now, Tom said:

Add to that i don’t recall Brereton ever being mentioned as a good option until we are linked then we should definitely sign him for £8m - until we don’t sign him and the club was definitely right not to spend so much on him.

Exactly, Chaddy wants it because we the club are seemingly interested despite Chaddy's comments a few months ago citing he would not want us to spend millions on players. 

Nobody is allowed to debate this potential signing in Chaddy's eyes.

Even though it goes against what he himself wanted just a couple of months ago.

Will you ever learn Chadster?

• Like 1