BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Those of us with long memories can recall managers betting the ranch on other young upcoming stars.  Jimmy Kerr and Steve Agnew anybody ?

Did they play 20 games for us between them ? 

Those who remember Agnew will also remember the club taking a punt on bringing  a young Geordie up from the south coast. 95% of transfers have a degree of risk.

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Those of us with long memories can recall managers betting the ranch on other young upcoming stars.  Jimmy Kerr and Steve Agnew anybody ?

Did they play 20 games for us between them ? 

On a more positive note, Shearer, Sutton, Rhodes.

It’s been said before but what on earth would BRFCS been like when Rovers bought Shearer and sold Speedie! ?? the Samaritans would have been ringing themselves! “£3.3m on one player? Games gone” “His scoring record is rubbish!” “If he was any good he’d already be at a big club” “Is he Chinese?” One bloke will have been so irate he’d taken his dogs for a walk. Perhaps a strongly worded letter to the Telegraph, Jack Straw, Jack Walker? Direct debit stopped on the season ticket and to hell with the consequences.

Never heard of the lad. Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

??????

Ignoring the fact that this makes no sense in the context of my post, this from the poster who tried to scold me for using the acronym ‘LOL’. :rolleyes:

So you think we should all be delighted that we have gone from £4m to £6m to £8m for Brereton and don’t look any nearer to signing him? Yet we need three players. Do you really see us spending north of £12m this window? And that would mean spending little over £1m each on a winger and cb (or even another cm that’s being talked about). That’s about what our current squad cost in total! Our recruitment strategy looks to be in disarray and has reached desperation stakes. The alleged budget seems to be burning an imaginary hole in our emperor’s new pocket.

Feel free to answer in emojis again if it’s easier for you.

In the meantime...

show-me-the-money-gif-14.gif

Btw, your epiphany didn’t last long.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mowbray admitted to the same dilemma earlier in the summer. He said he didn't know whether to spread the money around and bring in a few attacking players or splash it all on one striker. Looks like he chose the latter. That said he also wanted Freeman who might have come as well as Brereton.

The whole problem returns to the owners being unpredictable.  If TM sold them his vision of building a promotion team over 2/3 windows, and he gets £10 mil each window, we can afford to spend big on one or 2 players each window.  However, the owners have never shown any previous indication (Rhodes aside) that they will spend that level on transfers consistently.  Lambert thought he was getting it and look how that turned out.

Most likely, as TM even mentioned himself, if the money isn't spent, it may not be available again.  In which case signing 3 or 4 is much safer option.  Strengthens the squad and provides better odds of a profit on at least one player - enabling us to become a trading club once more.  It really is the only way we will ever 'wash our face' outside of the Prem.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Don your tin hat. Top half and maybe a promotion push is what a few think we should expect.

There is no value is spending £8m-£10m to stay up. The returns on investment aren’t there. If staying up is the only objective then we may as well stick with what we have and get a couple of loan reinforcements.

9 hours ago, Stuart said:

In the scheme of the debate, I’d include Irish with British or certainly home nations. Appreciating this won’t sit well with you as an Irishman. Put it another way, I don’t really see our Irish cousins as foreign.

You could make the debate alright and I would agree. It sits perfect with me. I would think the same about the countries in the UK, wouldn't describe you as foreigners. However, for purpose of scouting players a new network would be required over here. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

You could make the debate alright and I would agree. It sits perfect with me. However, for purpose of scouting players a new network would be required over here. 

Do you think so? Surely they are on our doorstep if we want to go to watch games over there?

Did we used to have one by the way, because we have a history of bringing in very decent Irish players?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

Do you think so? Surely they are on our doorstep if we want to go to watch games over there?

Did we used to have one by the way, because we have a history of bringing in very decent Irish players?

I'm pretty sure there was someone who focused a lot on it, because plenty of lads went over,most didn't make it in fairness, but a few decent ones did :)

Preston are definitely focusing on it at the minute. They have signed the top player or two every year for the last 2-3 years. 

I would much prefer to see them playing for rovers. I'm delighted Lenihan has made it and that Williams is doing OK too. 

5 minutes ago, bob fleming said:

In fairness Matty while that was the case but most on here would undoubtedly have been up in arms / apoplectic with rage.

Oh aye, the young me couldn’t understand why you’d want rid of my hero Speedie!

However, England capped striker for loadsofmoney Rovers is a different world than 19 year old Championship striker for Venky’s reliant 2018 BRFC.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

As a matter of interest, can anyone explain the repercussions of ffp on the club if the money being mentioned is actually spent? Will it result in another embargo? 

It would seem that most teams are getting round it by hitting lucky on transfer sales.  Derby have sold a couple for £10 mil to balance books, Boro got £18 mil for their winger.  If Villa need to, they can offload Grealish for £25 mil. Etc.  Likewise if they hit the jackpot of promotion, problem solved.

Wednesday spent big but haven't been able to sell anyone high enough to balance their books.  That's the gamble I suppose.

Looking at the Championship, Brentford seem to be the model of a well run trading club at the moment.  They sell a couple each year and reinvest at a sensible level.  Dark horse team for a play off place each year. 

Edit: you would expect that with Dack and Lennihan, we would be able to get good fees to offset losses - so we are compliant in the three year period. I'm guessing that is the logic- if any.

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

The whole problem returns to the owners being unpredictable.  If TM sold them his vision of building a promotion team over 2/3 windows, and he gets £10 mil each window, we can afford to spend big on one or 2 players each window.  However, the owners have never shown any previous indication (Rhodes aside) that they will spend that level on transfers consistently.  Lambert thought he was getting it and look how that turned out.

Most likely, as TM even mentioned himself, if the money isn't spent, it may not be available again.  In which case signing 3 or 4 is much safer option.  Strengthens the squad and provides better odds of a profit on at least one player - enabling us to become a trading club once more.  It really is the only way we will ever 'wash our face' outside of the Prem.

Yeah but being fair would you have given £10 million for Lambert to spend. What he got out of the team was mediocre at best, admittedly he did make some shrewd signings but nowhere near to success that Mowbray has had with similar funds.

32 minutes ago, bob fleming said:

On a more positive note, Shearer, Sutton, Rhodes.

It’s been said before but what on earth would BRFCS been like when Rovers bought Shearer and sold Speedie! ?? the Samaritans would have been ringing themselves! “£3.3m on one player? Games gone” “His scoring record is rubbish!” “If he was any good he’d already be at a big club” “Is he Chinese?” One bloke will have been so irate he’d taken his dogs for a walk. Perhaps a strongly worded letter to the Telegraph, Jack Straw, Jack Walker? Direct debit stopped on the season ticket and to hell with the consequences.

Never heard of the lad. Fingers crossed.

We were a different club then. If Shearer had have flopped here we would have sold him back to Southampton at a loss and Jack would have got the cheque book out for another top striker. The current team needs strengthening in several positions and we're planning to blow most if not all of our transfer budget on a young lad who doesn't really play in any of the positions that need strengthening. I watched the video and I'm thinking he isn't a Graham replacement and if this lad comes here where does Armstrong play ? 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

As a matter of interest, can anyone explain the repercussions of ffp on the club if the money being mentioned is actually spent? Will it result in another embargo? 

Seems to have been forgotten about despite being used as the reason we wouldn’t/couldn’t/shouldn’t make any big signings- much less than £8m I might add.

Have Venkys decided that they can have a couple of years of spending gambling on promotion before FFP kicks in?

If not then it does seem foolish to spend that kind of money without the aim being promotion as we’ll end up with a fine and an embargo. Maybe if we get the players in early on long deals we can just ride out the embargo?

All very strange.

Just now, Igloo5090 said:

Yeah but being fair would you have given £10 million for Lambert to spend. What he got out of the team was mediocre at best, admittedly he did make some shrewd signings but nowhere near to success that Mowbray has had with similar funds.

Lambert led us to a 15th placed finish after only taking over mid way through the season and didn't spend a penny on transfer fees. Let's see if Mowbray betters that this season  with his own squad and a bit of money.

• Like 1

Always interesting to see managers compared to Mourinho and players compared to Shearer to make a point.

The chances of Brereton being another Shearer are minuscule. If he was, then we would be fighting off City or at least United for him. Shearer really was that much in demand at the time as a prospect.

As I say it won't be 8 million in one go it will be spread over several years. Funny how the mere prospect of us spending a few quid and people are getting worried about Ffp whilst most of our rivals have been spending way more for a number of years and have got away with it. Even only yesterday Sheffield Wednesday were released from their sanctions in time to strengthen should they wish and they haven't sold anyone or suffered some major hardship as a result. All a con.

1 minute ago, Igloo5090 said:

He made some shrewd signings and only had one window.  TM has now had 3.  Not saying he was the answer and the footy was s*** but he certainly knew that the squad at the time was dire and needed massive investment.  

The point being it was promised, then taken away.  Certainly wasn't given to the next manager either (thank God). 

I keep wanting to believe that we have a plan forward and Venkys know what they are doing now but....

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Lambert led us to a 15th placed finish after only taking over mid way through the season and didn't spend a penny on transfer fees. Let's see if Mowbray betters that this season  with his own squad and a bit of money.

Lambert is much maligned on here for some reason. I think it’s bitterness because he left but yet faced with what he was faced with when Venkys didn’t give him the Rhodes money I have to admire his morals to stand up to them.

Bennett is one of the players I credit with turning us around as a team and as a club. He spoke very highly of Lambert.

• Like 1