BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

7 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Lambert is much maligned on here for some reason. I think it’s bitterness because he left but yet faced with what he was faced with when Venkys didn’t give him the Rhodes money I have to admire his morals to stand up to them.

Bennett is one of the players I credit with turning us around as a team and as a club. He spoke very highly of Lambert.

Lambert refused to go and speak to Venky’s for a couple of days every few months, Mowbray has (correctly) done the opposite and has managed to build up a good relationship with them, which has been good for the club. 

Edited by RV Blue

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Not sure what you based them figures on. No way wed profit on Samuel and Leutwiler, or get a fee for Sam Hart. Even Armstrong and Rothwell havent gone up in value from when we signed them.

Its all opinion based but if you was to pick our first 11, Dack and Armstrong massively improved it, Smallwood would get in as probably a main weakness. The rest of his signings are either squad players, unneeded players or loan players who have gone back.

Of course Rothwell has gone up in value. The basic law of transfers is that players in their last year of contract commands a lower fee than if being on a longer contract. His contract was expiring this summer. We also paid less than quoted in January. 

Armstrong on the other hand had 2 years left, so the length was probably not a factor. However 1.75 must be a very good deal now that I see clubs putting 8 million bids in for Brereton :) You would think Armstrong is at least worth half of that already. 

13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

As I say it won't be 8 million in one go it will be spread over several years. Funny how the mere prospect of us spending a few quid and people are getting worried about Ffp whilst most of our rivals have been spending way more for a number of years and have got away with it. Even only yesterday Sheffield Wednesday were released from their sanctions in time to strengthen should they wish and they haven't sold anyone or suffered some major hardship as a result. All a con.

It doesn't really matter how we pay for the fee. If it's all we've got I'm not happy splurging it out on one young player.

1 minute ago, briansol said:

Of course Rothwell has gone up in value. The basic law of transfers is that players in their last year of contract commands a lower fee than if being on a longer contract. His contract was expiring this summer. We also paid less than quoted in January. 

Armstrong on the other hand had 2 years left, so the length was probably not a factor. However 1.75 must be a very good deal now that I see clubs putting 8 million bids in for Brereton :) You would think Armstrong is at least worth half of that already. 

If Armstrong repeats his Bolton performances his value won't go up at all. Let's see what happens out on the grass, paper talk is meaningless. 

4 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Lambert refused to go and speak to Venky’s for a couple of days every few months, Mowbray has (correctly) done the opposite and has managed to build up a good relationship with them, which has been good for the club. 

To be fair, LAmbert never met them at all. He was hired by their British representative and was only dealing with him. He made promises that were not met.

Lambert has made a fair few quid by going to clubs mid-season and walking at the end of that season so his stock is now badly tarnished.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If Armstrong repeats his Bolton performances his value won't go up at all. Let's see what happens out on the grass, paper talk is meaningless. 

Thats the gamble in the transfer market but if manager's worried about that they never sign anyone.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It doesn't really matter how we pay for the fee. If it's all we've got I'm not happy splurging it out on one young player.

When we've signed him and the window is shut we'll know whether it's all we've got or not. Mowbray said 4 or 5 and then 3 targets so I doubt he's blowing the lot on one.

27 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Lambert led us to a 15th placed finish after only taking over mid way through the season and didn't spend a penny on transfer fees. Let's see if Mowbray betters that this season  with his own squad and a bit of money.

Did he not buy Bennett? sorry I didn't realise he didn't spend any money I thought he had.

24 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We were a different club then. If Shearer had have flopped here we would have sold him back to Southampton at a loss and Jack would have got the cheque book out for another top striker. The current team needs strengthening in several positions and we're planning to blow most if not all of our transfer budget on a young lad who doesn't really play in any of the positions that need strengthening. I watched the video and I'm thinking he isn't a Graham replacement and if this lad comes here where does Armstrong play ? 

Where does Armstrong play? Nice problem to have I’d say. Across the front three / either side of Dack / up front.

As for the transfer budget you know as much as I do about it.

Anyroad, excuse me, I’m off to the delightful Admiral of the Humber.

5 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

When?

Samuel is another proof that being a good footballer is 80% mental skills. He's got the physical attributes and technical skills but lacking the mental footballing skills. He lack awareness om his own position and others, which means he always uses two touches two much. Similar with his decision making, choosing to dribble, pass or layoff is erratic.

Mental skills are very hard to train. Experience will improve them somewhat. 

Danny Graham is probably on the opposite scale of Samuel. He is slower, smaller, less technical but we all agree he is a better player. For awareness take a look at the second goal vs Ipswich where he send Williams through. I watched a summary of Dack's goals for last season and was impressed how often Graham layed off to him. (Also suprised that I think at least 4 of Dack's goals where headers)

10 minutes ago, Igloo5090 said:

Did he not buy Bennett? sorry I didn't realise he didn't spend any money I thought he had.

You are right he did. I think he spent a small amount. He sold Rhodes and was left with scrapes. That resulted in the awful DJ Campbell deal, where he was snagged from Hull in the last minute in a rumoured 20k week deal.

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

The whole problem returns to the owners being unpredictable.  If TM sold them his vision of building a promotion team over 2/3 windows, and he gets £10 mil each window, we can afford to spend big on one or 2 players each window.  However, the owners have never shown any previous indication (Rhodes aside) that they will spend that level on transfers consistently.  Lambert thought he was getting it and look how that turned out.

Most likely, as TM even mentioned himself, if the money isn't spent, it may not be available again.  In which case signing 3 or 4 is much safer option.  Strengthens the squad and provides better odds of a profit on at least one player - enabling us to become a trading club once more.  It really is the only way we will ever 'wash our face' outside of the Prem.

To be frank - I'm glad he didn't get any money. There was a manager who could talk the talk (visited Pep to see how he worked blah blah) but not walk the walk. 

All fur coat no knickers was Lambert....

4 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

To be frank - I'm glad he didn't get any money. There was a manager who could talk the talk (visited Pep to see how he worked blah blah) but not walk the walk. 

All fur coat no knickers was Lambert....

Not disagreeing with you. The point I was making Is that Venkys have previous for promising funds and not delivering.  I would be very nervous at spending all we have on one unproven player, in the hope that funds do appear in the next window. 

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16445160.rovers-boss-considering-the-here-and-now-for-lewis-travis/?ref=mac

Interesting, honest interview from Mowbray as always, although I think he could choose his words more carefully. I do think Travis needs to go on loan to League One, whether we recruit more or not. Even if we shift Whittingham too, we have Bennett, Smallwood, Evans, Davenport, Rothwell who can all play in there. Trav needs regular, mans football. I'd send him off for the season, with a recall option. If we get injuries or decide he can be further up the pecking order we could just bring him back. Should be sent to a club with an understanding of regular game time, and that if he doesn't see it we bring him back.

If Mowbray is interested in a decent loan deal for him (which he certainly seems to be) he should avoid talking about how error prone he is. If I were a fan of a League One team linked with him, I would read those comments and feel a bit nervous.

Also odd where he says he has great awareness, then gives an example of absolutely terrible awareness.

Edited by bluebruce

I hear what you're saying Windy Miller. Maybe we should get 3-4 players in for the £8m. However, maybe there's more in the kitty we just don't know with the Venkster's! A part of me would be amazed if there was any cash at all but another part of me wouldn't be surprised - you just can't 2nd guess them.

Anyhow, I think Mombray has earned the right to splunk some money. If he does spend though I'm sure he'll be aware that expectations will rise exponentially both within the fan-base and the owners.

17 minutes ago, briansol said:

You are right he did. I think he spent a small amount. He sold Rhodes and was left with scrapes. That resulted in the awful DJ Campbell deal, where he was snagged from Hull in the last minute in a rumoured 20k week deal.

Lambert signed Ward and Bennett for peanuts.  He also got that Simeon Jackson in for free (6 month deal). Loans were Danny Graham, Jordi Gomes and Matt Grimes if I remember correctly.  Then sold Rhodes on the promise of funds in summer.

22 minutes ago, briansol said:

Let’s not just make stuff up. Bowyer brought in DJ Campbell before Lambert joined.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16445160.rovers-boss-considering-the-here-and-now-for-lewis-travis/?ref=mac

Interesting, honest interview from Mowbray as always, although I think he could choose his words more carefully. I do think Travis needs to go on loan to League One, whether we recruit more or not. Even if we shift Whittingham too, we have Bennett, Smallwood, Evans, Davenport, Rothwell who can all play in there. Trav needs regular, mans football. I'd send him off for the season, with a recall option. If we get injuries or decide he can be further up the pecking order we could just bring him back. Should be sent to a club with an understanding of regular game time, and that if he doesn't see it we bring him back.

If Mowbray is interested in a decent loan deal for him (which he certainly seems to be) he should avoid talking about how error prone he is. If I were a fan of a League One team linked with him, I would read those comments and feel a bit nervous.

Also odd where he says he has great awareness, then gives an example of absolutely terrible awareness.

I really like Travis and the energy he brings to the middle and would rather keep him around rather than send him out on loan tbh. Unless of course we sign somebody else to go in there.

I just feel he could end up pushing his way into the starting lineup eventually this season. Evans is likely to get injured at some point and I am not confident Smallwood has what it takes for the Championship. Who else is there? Whittingham is seen as surplus, Rothwell I imagine will compete for the more forward positions and Davenport who is currently injured. I dont think TM sees Bennett as a CM although he can play there.

Keep him and blood him when possible and he will eradicate mistakes like Carlisle 

3 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

I hear what you're saying Windy Miller. Maybe we should get 3-4 players in for the £8m. However, maybe there's more in the kitty we just don't know with the Venkster's! A part of me would be amazed if there was any cash at all but another part of me wouldn't be surprised - you just can't 2nd guess them.

Anyhow, I think Mombray has earned the right to splunk some money. If he does spend though I'm sure he'll be aware that expectations will rise exponentially both within the fan-base and the owners.

We may have a substantial amount and yes TM certainly deserves to spend it.  Still baffled why this wasn't done in the transfer window - if our kitty is so decent. 

On 16/08/2018 at 08:40, OnePhilT said:

OK, so while he's on loan in the meantime, breaks his leg, turns out to be crap, or hell, manager gets sacked or leaves, then we still have to buy him at £6m in January... It seems like a bad idea to me!

Exactly the same as.if we had bought him outright in August.  All those scenarios could still play out with the same end result.