BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

21 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16445160.rovers-boss-considering-the-here-and-now-for-lewis-travis/?ref=mac

Interesting, honest interview from Mowbray as always, although I think he could choose his words more carefully. I do think Travis needs to go on loan to League One, whether we recruit more or not. Even if we shift Whittingham too, we have Bennett, Smallwood, Evans, Davenport, Rothwell who can all play in there. Trav needs regular, mans football. I'd send him off for the season, with a recall option. If we get injuries or decide he can be further up the pecking order we could just bring him back. Should be sent to a club with an understanding of regular game time, and that if he doesn't see it we bring him back.

If Mowbray is interested in a decent loan deal for him (which he certainly seems to be) he should avoid talking about how error prone he is. If I were a fan of a League One team linked with him, I would read those comments and feel a bit nervous.

Also odd where he says he has great awareness, then gives an example of absolutely terrible awareness.

So one mistake in a 5-1 win and Mowbray wants to send him out on loan, when we’ve got players like Williams who make mistake after mistake leading to opposition goals and play week in week out. What a load of shite.

Experienced players are allowed to make mistakes but young players are punished for them, probably the main reason why England have been so poor over the years.

58 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It doesn't really matter how we pay for the fee. If it's all we've got I'm not happy splurging it out on one young player.

I am same ...maybe it comes down to the type of person we are ..., if I won 10k on a scratchcard I wouldn't just by a brand new car , I'd buy an older one , have a holiday and out some in bank for a rainy day ?

2 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

So one mistake in a 5-1 win and Mowbray wants to send him out on loan, when we’ve got players like Williams who make mistake after mistake leading to opposition goals and play week in week out. What a load of shite.

Experienced players are allowed to make mistakes but young players are punished for them, probably the main reason why England have been so poor over the years.

Agree that its harsh, our players often misplace passes but most of the time we are not punished by a 30-yard blockbuster because of them. Was just a peach of a goal and would be difficult to blame him for the goal in my opinion - most shots from there go into the stands.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AJW said:

I am same ...maybe it comes down to the type of person we are ..., if I won 10k on a scratchcard I wouldn't just by a brand new car , I'd buy an older one , have a holiday and out some in bank for a rainy day ?

Id buy 10k worth of scratchcards.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Lambert signed Ward and Bennett for peanuts.  He also got that Simeon Jackson in for free (6 month deal). Loans were Danny Graham, Jordi Gomes and Matt Grimes if I remember correctly.  Then sold Rhodes on the promise of funds in summer.

Bennett and Graham were good signings then, the rest were mediocre. Compared to some of Mowbray's signings.

10 hours ago, tomphil said:

Ha ha i'd like to say I saw right through him and stopped following but no he blocked me when Kean was still boss. Do I want in ?  Not on your nelly he'd pretty soon block me again besides chaddy is the middleman for the legions of us Rovers FUDS.

He blocked me too..fat scotch git

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Lambert signed Ward and Bennett for peanuts.  He also got that Simeon Jackson in for free (6 month deal). Loans were Danny Graham, Jordi Gomes and Matt Grimes if I remember correctly.  Then sold Rhodes on the promise of funds in summer.

A quick where are they now since that Jan 2016 window...

Jackson 29yo ex Norwich - now at L1 Walsall ??

Bennett 27yo ex Norwich - first team ??

Ward 31yo ex Norwich - on loan at MK Dons ??

Graham 30yo (loan) - first team ??

Grimes 21yo (loan) - on Swansea’s books but perennially loaned out ??

Gomez 31yo (loan) - now out in Cyprus ??

Looks like he was playing the loan game and pulling in favours from players he used to work with. Getting Bennett and Graham through the door and Ward as cover has to make his permanent signing score 2.5 out of 4. Overall 2 great, 2 reasonable, 2 poor. I’d have trusted him to spend money on the right players and the right characters.

It does just show though that the Rhodes money was never really Rovers’ to spend and was likely a ‘special’ deal - as rumoured - that turned a profit (as a transfer at least).

• Like 1

Some advisor or other has probably been in the ear of the owners on this one saying this lad will be worth double in a very short space of time maybe off the back of one good season that's why it's a goer.

I'm sure TM is over the moon if this lad ticks his boxes but he might also end up perplexed when he asks for a few million in Jan to sign a good defender we'll probably end up needing and be knocked back.

I'd like to think he's maybe had the go ahead to add a big signing every window over the next 3 or 4 whilst retaining what he has in the hope of building a good team and also buffering it with one or two back ups and loans ?  That would resemble a proper ambitious plan though and would cost 20 million or so, not such a big risk if you get the right quality whose value increases though so if you don't go up you can get the doh back !!

Hmmm..

8 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Some advisor or other has probably been in the ear of the owners on this one saying this lad will be worth double in a very short space of time maybe off the back of one good season that's why it's a goer.

I'm sure TM is over the moon if this lad ticks his boxes but he might also end up perplexed when he asks for a few million in Jan to sign a good defender we'll probably end up needing and be knocked back.

I'd like to think he's maybe had the go ahead to add a big signing every window over the next 3 or 4 whilst retaining what he has in the hope of building a good team and also buffering it with one or two back ups and loans ?  That would resemble a proper ambitious plan though and would cost 20 million or so, not such a big risk if you get the right quality whose value increases though so if you don't go up you can get the doh back !!

Hmmm..

I would be delighted if we use the next 3 or 4 windows to assemble a fantastic squad of players. Just can’t see it though. Besides that’s not how football works. Agents will not buy into this scheme unless we sign them on new improved deals every season.

I too am worried about CB. Lenihan and Mulgrew have history of bad injuries. We do not have decent cover in this area and would be looking at using Williams, Downing, Smallwood or even Nyambe at this stage. Good to have some flexibility but CB is a position you need to be commanding. None of those could really step in and be a rock. Maybe I’m being overly ambitious to expect such a player to come in as third choice but it’s what we need if we are going to have a squad strong enough to compete right through the season.

EDIT: I’d feel a little more comfortable if we had a short recall on Wharton or if it looked like Grayson or Doyle or even Magloire were getting any first team (bench) experience.

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Igloo5090 said:

Bennett and Graham were good signings then, the rest were mediocre. Compared to some of Mowbray's signings.

If we are being picky, Lambert still has two first 11 players starting each week.  TM has had 3 windows now and you would only say that Dack and Smallwood are consistent first 11 players (with jury out on Smallwood at this level).  Obviously the likes of Bell, Rothwell, Davenport and Armstrong may progress into the team as the season progresses.  

Still got to see if TM can sign players that improve the first 11 straight away.

Not a Lambert love in, just the facts of his transfer dealings compared to TM - so far.

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

If we're bidding £8m for Brereton then we can safely say the transfer budget alone this summer (NOT including wages and agent fees etc) was close to £10m which was a lot more than anyone thought (including Sharpe).

If Brereton keeps us up then he will be worth every penny. 

... you think transfers work by us wiring £8,000,000 cash up front to other football clubs?

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Really? Most of the staff are still when he was here. 

Really?

Wow, surely everybody could see that was a tongue in cheek comment apart from you. No wonder you believe everything you read on the internet.

• Like 2

There's been a long list of incomers with "masked" poor medical histories .... Gilliver, Britt, Agnew, Munro etc....

but IIRC Jimmy Kerr who had a very bright future  picked up a new career ending injury very soon after joining.

The modern pre contract "medical" with full medical/injury history provided by the "selling" club hopefully negates Agnewlike mistakes in future.

2 hours ago, bob fleming said:

In fairness Matty while that was the case but most on here would undoubtedly have been up in arms / apoplectic with rage.

Didn't have internet then Bob but .if I had, you could have looked back and seen how ecstatic I was!

No comparison between then and now, Jack determined to spend money and me happy to watch him!

Venkys however..........erratic and simplistic. TM has actually said he's had to calm them down! More likely to suddenly turn the tap off as keep it flowing.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Hmmm..

I’d imagine it’s more of a case of Graham is struggling with fitness ( ice on knee etc) and will struggle to carry whole team all season on own.. especially as season progresses. Next year certainly so we need to look beyond as a club and plan a head. Re: strikers of DG mold. Big, direct, ball holder etc they don’t come cheap and 6-8 million these days is not going to get you the finished article but maybe potential of. He could be a bargain in a few years... anybody suggest a cheaper more promising alternative to fulfil DG role??? As I say don’t come cheap and TM knows this.

19 minutes ago, because of boxing day said:

There's been a long list of incomers with "masked" poor medical histories .... Gilliver, Britt, Agnew, Munro etc....

but IIRC Jimmy Kerr who had a very bright future  picked up a new career ending injury very soon after joining.

The modern pre contract "medical" with full medical/injury history provided by the "selling" club hopefully negates Agnewlike mistakes in future.

Murphy, Ethuhu . Grella, Dahlin and many more slipped through that net.

• Backroom

I agree with Mowbray about Travis, I said after the Millwall game he has all the potential in the world but decision making needs work and that only comes with game time.

I think one season in league one would be ideal 

8 minutes ago, markhayhurst said:

I’d imagine it’s more of a case of Graham is struggling with fitness ( ice on knee etc) and will struggle to carry whole team all season on own.. especially as season progresses. Next year certainly so we need to look beyond as a club and plan a head. Re: strikers of DG mold. Big, direct, ball holder etc they don’t come cheap and 6-8 million these days is not going to get you the finished article but maybe potential of. He could be a bargain in a few years... anybody suggest a cheaper more promising alternative to fulfil DG role??? As I say don’t come cheap and TM knows this.

I take your points and agree with some but don't buy into the old this lad is the only lad available who can be the new DG and it will cost 8 million to speculate he will. Not for a min if you've got 8 million to spend on one player there'll be plenty options out there although admittedly the old school target man is becoming rare.

As with Rhodes though for huge money he guaranteed goals every season so the fee if not his wages worked out a bargain over 4 years even though we overpaid, plus they at least got that outlay back. This lad ticks boxes but guarantees nothing as it stands that's why it's obviously a huge gamble when we might be crying out for an instant impact upfront and desperately needed quality/pace in other areas.

Having said that debating on spending 8 mill is a nice problem to have for a change ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

So are we buying this lad from Forest then? Sounds like a done deal by the language on here.. 

Surely the club wouldn't be still in for him if they haven't had encouragement that a deal can be done.

Be a farce if we spend all loan window chasing him and not get him.We would have moved on to other targets by now If we weren't confident of getting Brereton.I mean surely?

But we need to be offering a take it or leave it offer now, it's probably this deal holding up our other deals as we don't know how much will be left in the kitty after Brereton or another striker.

15 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I take your points and agree with some but don't buy into the old this lad is the only lad available who can be the new DG and it will cost 8 million to speculate he will. Not for a min if you've got 8 million to spend on one player there'll be plenty options out there although admittedly the old school target man is becoming rare.

As with Rhodes though for huge money he guaranteed goals every season so the fee if not his wages worked out a bargain over 4 years even though we overpaid, plus they at least got that outlay back. This lad ticks boxes but guarantees nothing as it stands that's why it's obviously a huge gamble when we might be crying out for an instant impact upfront and desperately needed quality/pace in other areas.

Having said that debating on spending 8 mill is a nice problem to have for a change ?

I just don’t ( hopefully) see us paying 8 million out right. That money seems ludicrous for what we’ve recently been spending. More likely a still very high 6 million plus add ons etc. Either way I agree a huge  huge gamble but if it wasn’t a huge gamble for a finished article of young age imo would have to pay 15 million plus. ( gamble of return on dev of this lad. Liverpool nearly reportedly paid close already)

I’d much rather club buy or pay wages of a released but  proven veteran at say £ 2-3 million. Each year for 3 years. But no return. Rest of squad added value subsidies thus area etc.

Edited by markhayhurst
  • Like 1