BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

21 minutes ago, Tom said:

I agree with Mowbray about Travis, I said after the Millwall game he has all the potential in the world but decision making needs work and that only comes with game time.

I think one season in league one would be ideal 

Nyambe has been given game time in a much more exposed position. His early decision making was poor but he has grown a lot. No reason Travis needs to go elsewhere now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I knew you would want to spend it back then, indeed after you said it on that thread I said

‘Yeah right! You'd be swinging from the chandeliers of Chez Chadwick if we signed someone for 10 million!’

Which is fair enough and I hope they are still intact the morning. 

So my advice to you would be stop blindingly agreeing with the club’s stance, if you’ve always wanted us to buy players for big money, say so, otherwise you look a bit daft when just two months ago you ‘didn’t want us to pay big money for one player, we should build a squad instead’ now we should DEFINITELY pay £8million for a Championship 19 year old

Yes we should be buying Brereton. great potential and talent and will only get better here. 

I want to built a squad that doesn't contain players demanding daft wages and upsetting the squad morale causing problems in the squad/club

3 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

The whole problem returns to the owners being unpredictable.  If TM sold them his vision of building a promotion team over 2/3 windows, and he gets £10 mil each window, we can afford to spend big on one or 2 players each window.  However, the owners have never shown any previous indication (Rhodes aside) that they will spend that level on transfers consistently.  Lambert thought he was getting it and look how that turned out.

Most likely, as TM even mentioned himself, if the money isn't spent, it may not be available again.  In which case signing 3 or 4 is much safer option.  Strengthens the squad and provides better odds of a profit on at least one player - enabling us to become a trading club once more.  It really is the only way we will ever 'wash our face' outside of the Prem.

Maybe the owners have bought into Mowbray vision and philosophy of building a squad around players with talent and skills plus work rate that will get better under him.  

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It doesn't really matter how we pay for the fee. If it's all we've got I'm not happy splurging it out on one young player.

Fair enough, but would you not rather spend on a player with potential and talent that will grow and develop here then some over paid player on daft wages and barely played over the last 12/18 months? 

I would imagine there is even more money than the 8 mil for Brereton but fees are pay over a number of years like 2 or 3 or 4 years. 

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

I really like Travis and the energy he brings to the middle and would rather keep him around rather than send him out on loan tbh. Unless of course we sign somebody else to go in there.

I just feel he could end up pushing his way into the starting lineup eventually this season. Evans is likely to get injured at some point and I am not confident Smallwood has what it takes for the Championship. Who else is there? Whittingham is seen as surplus, Rothwell I imagine will compete for the more forward positions and Davenport who is currently injured. I dont think TM sees Bennett as a CM although he can play there.

Keep him and blood him when possible and he will eradicate mistakes like Carlisle 

I agree with you Jack that we should keep Travis in the squad and I would loan Whittingham out for sure. 

For me I'd really like to think think Trapp bloke from the MLS is still on the cards. At the moment we are playing a formation where we don't have the players for that two infront of the defence. Evans is an all rounder but doesn't have the bite to be a destroyer in there and doesn't have the vision to be a deep playmaker.

We need someone of the Jermaine Jones/the axe/Savage style to sit along a more creative player. I have never seen Trapp play but hope he could be this deep lying playmaker role. Then for now I'd say Smallwood is most appropriate to provide the 'bite' despite questions as to whether he can cut it at this level.

Call me boring but I'd take Trapp, Bauer + one more over brereton (though that might cost more in wages long term)

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

Hope that we aren't spending all of our budget on Brererton  as we have other areas that need strengthening as well. Still think we need another centre back and centre mid.

For me, we don't know centre midfielder but more a wide player. 

agree on the centre back. I think we still in for Bauer and talking to Charlton about a deal. 

1 hour ago, J*B said:

... you think transfers work by us wiring £8,000,000 cash up front to other football clubs?

deals are paying over a number of years 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes we should be buying Brereton. great potential and talent and will only get better here. 

I want to built a squad that doesn't contain players demanding daft wages and upsetting the squad morale causing problems in the squad/club

Maybe the owners have bought into Mowbray vision and philosophy of building a squad around players with talent and skills plus work rate that will get better under him.  

Fair enough, but would you not rather spend on a player with potential and talent that will grow and develop here then some over paid player on daft wages and barely played over the last 12/18 months? 

I would imagine there is even more money than the 8 mil for Brereton but fees are pay over a number of years like 2 or 3 or 4 years. 

I agree with you Jack that we should keep Travis in the squad and I would loan Whittingham out for sure. 

No one is saying theyd rather spend it on an over paid player on daft wages, so thats not a viable argument.

Some people are arguing that they would rather spread the cost over 2 or 3 players to improve, seeing as we are light at centre back, out wide and in central midfield too.

There are also questions as to the quality of Brereton in terms of what he can offer now, or whether we are just paying solely for potential.

Add to that the role that he plays and there are a few questions to ask, assuming you dont have tunnel vision of course.

I find your insistence on his talent a bit odd being based on a video, but each to their own.

• Backroom
15 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Nyambe has been given game time in a much more exposed position. His early decision making was poor but he has grown a lot. No reason Travis needs to go elsewhere now.

True but we had no alternative right backs or at least fewer of them.

Travis isn’t likely to be first choice so may not get as much time 

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

agree on the centre back. I think we still in for Bauer and talking to Charlton about a deal. 

deals are paying over a number of years 

Out of interest if £8million was enough to purchase McGinn, Maddison, Chapman and Bauer.  Would you take those four or just Brereton?

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I'd like a wide player as well  but Mowbray doesn't really seem very keen on natural wide men. In central midfield Davenport is injured, Smallwood has been playing poorly for months now, Evans is Evans, Travis is still raw and you can write of Whittingham and Gladwin. I'd like a dominant experienced body brought into the midfield as at the moment  we are very lightweight in there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

True but we had no alternative right backs or at least fewer of them.

Travis isn’t likely to be first choice so may not get as much time 

Ironic though that Travis is also a right back and is now seen as too raw to be in our centre midfield, and needs to go out on loan while Nyambe gets preferential treatment despite being similarly raw at first - and still prone to errors.

Maybe Travis need to change his agent...? ;)

• Like 1

Was it Luke Murphy the kid with potential and the next big thing big clubs were sniffing around that Bowyer went out of his way to get to Rovers for about 1.5 mill before Leeds gazumped him.  Think similar things were expected of him, plonk him in a club like Rovers or Leeds for a season or two then move him for a big fee to one of these big clubs who've been tracking him but didn't want to chance it there and then ?

Didn't really work out once he'd gone to Leeds on a better contract with an ego to match and his head went.

23 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes we should be buying Brereton. great potential and talent and will only get better here. . 

Would you pay £8 Million for Brereton if it meant we had no funds to bring anyone else in during this window? 

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Out of interest if £8million was enough to purchase McGinn, Maddison, Chapman and Bauer.  Would you take those four or just Brereton?

Brereton - if he was signed, the other four if they were signed, obviously!

• Like 7

I think we should have a poll on this! 

Question is a) should we spend money on a player with potential that will grow and develop here?         

OR

b) should we spend it on some over-paid player on daft wages who's barely played over the last 12/18 months?

Gee, its a tough one Chaddy's asking and I'm going to take my time and think it over. :rock:

Edited by 47er

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

As opposed to building a squad around lazy players with no talent or skill? Yes, he's probably got a point.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

Got a feeling Brereton doesn't want to leave Forest.

It seems Forests willingness to sell him for the "right price" has really knocked the lad.

If we get him, I hope you're wrong. Don't want a player who simply doesn't want to be here and starts with his head down.

Especially an inordinately expensive one.

Edited by bluebruce

1 hour ago, 47er said:

I think we should have a poll on this! 

Question is a) should we spend money on a player with potential that will grow and develop here?         

OR

b) should we spend it on some over-paid player on daft wages who's barely played over the last 12/18 months?

Gee, its a tough one Chaddy's asking and I'm going to take my time and think it over. :rock:

Regarding b) we've already got two in Whittingham and Gladwin.