BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If he's better than them, why not ?  Follow that template and we're limiting our options a lot.

8 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Why Not? You aren't going to progress very far or attract better players if you take that view point.

Because the guy was coming from Hibernian having only proved himself in Scotland. Its working out for him, but if we signed some lad from Scotland and put him on more than our current players and he didn't work out, I am sure ye would be very critical of the decision. 

19 hours ago, Stuart said:

Odd question. Surely it needs no explanation? How about a couple of players at £4m. Christ, Dack is being touted as the best player outside the PL and he cost less than £1m. Armstrong was £1.2m plus add-ons. £8m is a bloody fortune for us.

Are you telling me we couldn’t find that kind of value anywhere? May as well sack our scouting team if the fans need to put names forward.

As noble as it is, we seem obsessed with British and English players. Other clubs find value overseas yet we do not. There should be a balance. I’ve never known a Rovers squad with so few foreign players. Raya and Nyambe bring the only first team regulars with Leutweiler making up the squad’s foreign players.

I am assuming chadko (joke ar ar) is wanting you to name the players you would split the alleged 8m on.

2 hours ago, J*B said:

You're not buying their 4th choice striker - it's an investment. Forest are convinced he will become a top end Premier League striker, but don't have the time to currently develop him as he isn't first choice. He can come here and realistically become first choice and be sold for more. It's a gamble.

That makes no sense. They aren't going to sell someone that good just because he might only get in their team in a years time. They'd send him on loan instead.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stuart said:

@chaddyrovers £8m just seems way over the top for a player with potential.

It also seems hugely unlikely for us to pay that much and would make us the third highest net spenders in the division after Stoke (£14m) and Forest (£15m - if we buy Brereton from them). Nobody else comes close.

(Source: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/transfers/wettbewerb/GB2/plus/?saison_id=2018&s_w=&leihe=0&intern=0)

The only way this one works is if we sell a player - with Dack being the most obvious.

It makes no sense at the prices being discussed.

Have to agree again, 8m on a player that can not make Forest's 1st team and may not even start for us is ludicrous, madness even.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JHRover said:

It won't be £8 million, just like Rhodes wasn't £8 million. It might be half of that up front with the same again in installments, bonuses, add ons etc. Much of that will probably hinge on us surviving in the Championship, getting to the Premier League or him scoring X amount of goals or playing for England. If any of those happen his value will increase with it and Rovers will benefit by more than £8 million be that through his value increasing or by increased revenues as a club through being at a higher level.

In some ways it is a no brainer. At the age of 19 barring a horrendous injury his value is likely to at the very least stand still and probably increase further over the next 3-4 years by which time he will still only be 22-23 with a lot of Championship experience behind him.

Don't know much about him but I certainly won't be grumbling if the owners finally see sense and invest a substantial amount for a new forward. 

Seems a bit odd that people are so concerned by the prospect of spending such a sum of money when the motive here from the owners is investing now in a talent that ought to be worth more in a few years who they can sell then if they fancy, just like with Dack, Lenihan, Cairney, Duffy etc. They've made plenty out of sales without reinvesting so I think it is well overdue that they spend on a new player or two.

Can't come up with names off top of me head but the lower leagues are littered with players that at some point in their careers were said to have potential or had been labeled the next this player or the next that player and for one reason or another never fulfilled said potential.

26 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Have to agree again, 8m on a player that can not make Forest's 1st team and may not even start for us is ludicrous, madness even.

It's a lot of money sure but it seems that TM sees something in the lad and wants to push the boat out for him I'm happy to let the manager pick his signings. 

There are a lot of people on here who seem genuinely concerned about spending Venkys money. The £8m fee will likely be spread across the term of the deal and be dependant on success etc. More importantly, if the usually rather frugal Mowbray is keen and the Forest fans are desperate not to lose him...then what’s the problem? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

There are a lot of people on here who seem genuinely concerned about spending Venkys money. The £8m fee will likely be spread across the term of the deal and be dependant on success etc. More importantly, if the usually rather frugal Mowbray is keen and the Forest fans are desperate not to lose him...then what’s the problem? 

I haven't really the energy to go over it all again. In brief he's a young unproven player that we want to lump a huge amount ( for us ) of dosh on. He could be the next Alan Shearer, but he could be the next Kevin Davies. It's too big a gamble that we don't have to make. You're making a lot of assumptions about this deal on no evidence at all.

I like Mowbray as a  bloke but he's far from infallible in the transfer market. If he was he'd be managing at a much higher level than Rovers.

I think the bottom line is there's something about this deal that doesn't smell right.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

You serious?

People are concerned with Venky’s full stop. I was cautiously optimistic in 2014 with our team full of quality players for this  level - they proceeded to sell the lot, so forgive folk if they tread very lightly with this mob!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

• Backroom

There’s also a fear that if they spend so much on one lad and it doesn’t work out then they once again turn the tap off and that’s your lot, exciting maybe but risky 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tom said:

Odd scenario where Forest fans seem sad if he goes for £8m whilst on the whole our fans aren’t over enamoured with the idea either 

Some Rovers fans on here arent over enamoured with the idea? The same ones who us to spend money now we are they are the one complaining

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I haven't really the energy to go over it all again. In brief he's a young unproven player that we want to lump a huge amount ( for us ) of dosh on. He could be the next Alan Shearer, but he could be the next Kevin Davies. It's too big a gamble that we don't have to make. You're making a lot of assumptions about this deal on no evidence at all.

I like Mowbray as a  bloke but he's far from infallible in the transfer market. If he was he'd be managing at a much higher level than Rovers.

I think the bottom line is there's something about this deal that doesn't smell right.

What are you going on about something about this deal that doesn't smell right? More conspiracy theories. 

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yep.

I raise you..Jordan Slew..

Just wondering what is today's equivalent of £1 million  in August 2011...It won't be far off the figure being discussed here?

9 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

5,6,7, Million whatever Brereton would cost he would cost more money than the rest of our squad did combined. Is it really prudent to spend more money on one unproven teenager than the rest of your squad combined? I mean he's not exactly a young Messi is he, he can't even get onto the Forest bench.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Id say it’s you and the others who are making the biggest assumptions. You’re assuming we can’t afford it. Assuming that it’s costing us a fortune. We have no idea how good he is or can potentially be. But our manager must rate him highly and the Forest fans desperately don’t want to lose him.

Would I spend the money on other players? Possibly. Would I be ecstatic to sign a young prodigee for £8m with someone else’s money? Abso-bloody-lutely!! 

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

There’s also a fear that if they spend so much on one lad and it doesn’t work out then they once again turn the tap off and that’s your lot, exciting maybe but risky 

That's my thinking also. It'd took us a while to get to where we are now. It'd be disasterous for us to return to the days of selling our best players. I'd like a reliable centre half who can push our regular pair really hard. A genuine top class ( at this level ) central midfield player who can direct traffic in the middle of the pitch (  this is where we need to splash the cash ) and a reliable target man who has some presence.

We're all getting giddy with Armstrong doing well up front. We were playing away in the last two games. Teams play a higher line at home. Wait while you see how much room Reading give him to run into on Wednesday night. That's when you need the guys with Graham's link up skills.

• Like 1

Just now, Beanie01289 said:

So what are people suggesting we should give up on the deal and try and convince 3 clubs to loan us cheaper players instead of the manager signing the one player that he wants. 

Look for a bit more value in the market rather than spending more on an unproven teenager who can't get on Forests bench than on the rest of our squad combined.

• Backroom
18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Some Rovers fans on here arent over enamoured with the idea? The same ones who us to spend money now we are they are the one complaining

What are you going on about something about this deal that doesn't smell right? More conspiracy theories. 

You can’t seriously be surprised that folk would be cautious, surely you aren’t that big of a hypocrite after yourself saying this is the exact thing we shouldn’t be doing.

Come on Chaddington try and be balanced here you know exactly why people are a little edgy about it to suggest otherwise is massively disingenuous!

For what it’s worth a mate of mine says he’s lighting quick with bags of potential so I’ll be excited to see him if he signs 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The deal was being done behind the kid's back as far as I can see. That's not how things work in today's football. It just doesn't hang right for me. The last thing we want is another Barry Ferguson scenario were the lad gets here under  a bit of pressure and suddenly doesn't really fancy it.

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, philipl said:

So are we getting Brereton for £8m?

Brilliant news if we are and a massive statement of intent.

Chuffed to bits if someone can save me reading the last 15 pages and confirm this.

Please?

Latest bid seems to be £8m forest want rid and we want to buy so I imagine it will happen 

• Like 1

Those saying if the player is a flop then Venky's may turn the tap off well what happens if we don't spend it? Venky's may turn the tap off thinking we don't need it.

What happens if the Bereton does not move and gets in to the Forest team does well then goes for £20million. Will the doom mongers then turn and say say why did we not pay the bargain of £8 million.

All transfers are a gamble that may or may not come off. 

We have to be cautious of course but it nice to see us even talking about such vaules being talked about again.

The way Dack has started the season the £750,000 we gambled on a one season wonder at Gillingham looks like it could repay 10 times over like the the money we gambled on Davies cost us £3 million.

Proven goal scorers who we could get a return on are only interested in premier league. All the multi million pound players I dare say will be a calculated gamble or are players there will be little return on.

• Like 2