BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

17 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Mowbray has said they've been expanding and are scouting cheaper markets like Ligue 2 in France where there are a lot of talented players. We can't expect this to happen overnight. If Mowbray is willing to shelf out £8m on Brereton he must be pretty confident that he will turn into something. Besides, the market for English players (especially younger players)  inflated - if Brereton signs and is a success, his value will increase exponentially though.

Guendouzi from Lorient to Arsenal. Saw him last season in a not very good Lorient team. Picked him in the first 5 min as someone who could play at a higher level. 

• Like 2

At £8 mil the lad is going to have to knocking on the England senior door to exponentialy increase in value and score double figures this season to maintain/slightly increase his value.  There are lots of young Englandprospects about - Solanke, Abraham, Lookman etc. 

Big ask without him having any stand out features to his game.

33 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

I know we're living in a different footballing world nowadays and our scouting limitations will be natural, but it wasn't too many years ago we were 'scouting' the likes of Santa Cruz (€3m), Lewandowski (€4m) and Benni McCarthy (€2.5m). = £8m.

Now we're looking at signing a 19 kid from Nottingham Forest with 8 goals in 2nd division football for potentially the same price as those 3 combined... where's the bucket ?.

Would we not be better with Gallacher, Bauer and Freeman for almost the cost of Bereton? I'm not certain, however if we are spending £8m+ on a forward, there must surely be others worthy of that price. 

I mean, we only signed Bradley Dack because he played well in a 4-1 defeat for Gillingham. So Even though the manager does know a good player WHEN he sees one, I just fear we're being ripped off because of lack of scouting ambition. 

If we did bid up to £8m for Bereton, that is certainly a sign of Venky's being willing to make an aggressive, risky splurge, but I also think it's clear we've largely tried to go for some potentially under-valued targets.

Armstrong has clearly been out of the first-team picture for Newcastle for some time and there are/were question marks about his abilities above League One. Trapp is on a Columbus Crew team that is currently in turmoil. Bauer's contract is running out on a Charlton team that's in financial and ownership disarray and he appears to be agitating for a move out of League One. Chapman and his injury history would fall under this category as well if he has been a legitimate target all along. Rothwell was out-of-contract, and thus cheap and has potential. Davenport obviously blocked at City and eager for first-team football, so he's another cheap, high-potential buy.

£4m for Freeman may be somewhere in-between, as that's probably a 'fair' price but QPR is looking shit, they've got a transfer embargo next window, and they're financially handicapped for years to come.

All of those strike me as pretty good 'value' targets, its just a shame they haven't come off for whatever reason. Or to put a negative spin on it, it looks like Mowbray and co. thought they had identified some bargains but ultimately under-estimated what the selling clubs had in mind themselves...

Also, agreed with some posters that it'd be nice to hear we were looking overseas a bit more beyond Trapp as there must be some bargain signings out there too (but not guaranteed, remember Koita and Petschi!)

(£8m is obviously a risky signing for a 19-year-old with a limited track record... yet it should be kept in mind that a 19-year-old having any sort of track record in the Championship is pretty rare. For an in-house example, Nyambe obviously had some growing pains in the Championship as a 19-year-old a couple years ago, but just look how much he's improved over the past year and to start this year)

As a side note, while the new riches of the PL are the ultimate cause of football's elevated expenditures tricking down to the Championship, I also can't help but think we were the catalyst in this trend with our Rhodes signing. £8m for a striker with only a League One pedigree (albeit an exceptional one!) was quite the splash at the time... Certainly set the new bar for top Championship strikers.

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

At £8 mil the lad is going to have to knocking on the England senior door to exponentialy increase in value and score double figures this season to maintain/slightly increase his value.  There are lots of young Englandprospects about - Solanke, Abraham, Lookman etc. 

£8m is a stern price, but the prices are heavily inflated. Just look at what Villa have been asking for Grealish.

4 minutes ago, Valois said:

Derby Telegraph linking us, Leeds and Bolton with Cameron Jerome. No Thanks.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leeds-united-two-championship-clubs-1918660

There would be worse loan signings to be fair.  Experienced at this level.  Obviously not one to buy permanent but a low risk loan IMO.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Fair comment

28 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why? 

Well Wharton might have developed at Lincoln, we might have bought someone else, we might get relegated and find we don't need him or promoted and find we don't need him. We might change manager and find we don't want him. That's just a few reasons off the top of my head

6 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

We're looking at spending 8 million quid on a 'never been' and/or 'might never be'

But someone who could be... Cameron Jerome is a 'never-will-be-again' and is a year younger than Graham. I thought our intention this year was to bring in his successor, not a short term panic loan.

1 minute ago, gumboots said:

Well Wharton might have developed at Lincoln, we might have bought someone else, we might get relegated and find we don't need him or promoted and find we don't need him. We might change manager and find we don't want him. That's just a few reasons off the top of my head

Downing and Mulgrew is out of contract in the summer 

We might change manager? why? Its time Rovers gave him at least new 3 year contract. I don't see Mowbray going anywhere or in a relegation battle this season

3 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

We're looking at spending 8 million quid on a 'never been' and/or 'might never be'

Or a player that has huge potential who could really add something to our team in the immediate and long term future.It depends which way you look at it.

Iv seen this lad play a few times and has never failed to impress.

And no disrespect to any one who is against the Brereton signing but he would have been scouted,Mowbray will know a lot more about his attributes and what he can bring to the squad than any one on here to be fair, I doubt very much the club would be persuing Brereton and placing multiple bids if they don't think he has anything.Im happy to back Mogga's judgement and my own two eyes from watching him.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

But someone who could be... Cameron Jerome is a 'never-will-be-again' and is a year younger than Graham. I thought our intention this year was to bring in his successor, not a short term panic loan.

I'm not advocating bringing in Jerome at the cost of others but as a steady, Championship player in a rotation of forwards we could do worse.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Or a player that has huge potential who could really add something to our team in the immediate and long term future.It depends which way you look at it.

Iv seen this lad play a few times and has never failed to impress.

And no disrespect to any one who is against the Brereton signing but he would have been scouted,Mowbray will know a lot more about his attributes and what he can bring to the squad than any one on here to be fair, I doubt very much the club would be persuing Brereton and placing multiple bids if they don't think he has anything.Im happy to back Mogga's judgement and my own two eyes from watching him.

I'm merely playing devils advocate as I have done on this signing from the start. Brereton is a massive risk; as with all big risks the potential rewards are massive but the fallout of a misplaced bet, equally so.

• Like 1

Just now, Lancaster Rover said:

I'm merely playing devils advocate as I have done on this signing from the start. Brereton is a massive risk; as with all big risks the potential rewards are massive but the fallout of a misplaced bet, equally so.

Every signing is a risk tho.

Some have asked why we didn't go for Grabban.Grabban would have no re-sale value,is probably on over 30 grand a week at Forest and he has failed at a couple of clubs.

Some are bemoaning the fact we should be targetting more experience but I doubt very much The chicken chokers would sign off on a big fee and wages for a 28-29 year old with not much scope for a profitable sale.

The prices of players has gone crazy and honestly i can see only a 10+ goals a season would see us being able to sell Brererton for a profit.19 years old,English,has pace,lovely touch and will score goals in the right side.

Like Waghorn has been average or worse than average most his career, 1 good season last year and he gets sold for 5 million.12 months earlier Rangers where practically giving him away.

Freeman who we have been linked with from QPR has gone from a 350k buy to now having bids of 4 and 5 million turned down for him.

I'm quite excited about the potential signing of Brereton.I can see why others have a downer on it and want a more experienced striker brought in but in my opinion i don't think we would spend big on an older striker.

If we have the money then I want to see it spent, it's all good saying why don't we wait till January or next summer where we have more time to buy someone more proven than Brereton but anything could happen between now and then this supposedly healthy transfer budget could disappear and we will be back to spending penny's.

• Like 2

Just now, roversoutsider said:

Has there been a development with regards to the brereton signing or is it still speculation? 

Pardon me, because the last I heard Tony said we're moving on to other targets in Brereton's context.. And I presume this Jerome link is a follow up to us pursuing other striker options? 

How do you know what Mowbray said in that interview was about Brereton?

It could have been Freeman?Bauer?Another player that the media haven't linked us with.

2 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

I know we're living in a different footballing world nowadays and our scouting limitations will be natural, but it wasn't too many years ago we were 'scouting' the likes of Santa Cruz (€3m), Lewandowski (€4m) and Benni McCarthy (€2.5m). = £8m.

Now we're looking at signing a 19 kid from Nottingham Forest with 8 goals in 2nd division football for potentially the same price as those 3 combined... where's the bucket ?.

Would we not be better with Gallacher, Bauer and Freeman for almost the cost of Bereton? I'm not certain, however if we are spending £8m+ on a forward, there must surely be others worthy of that price. 

I mean, we only signed Bradley Dack because he played well in a 4-1 defeat for Gillingham. So Even though the manager does know a good player WHEN he sees one, I just fear we're being ripped off because of lack of scouting ambition. 

Gallagher on his own would cost more than Brereton