BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

10 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Yeah he does but in this instance to me it's clear that Forest want to sell him 

Exactly. They're now haggling to get the best possible deal on him. As I'm sure we would do when selling any of our assets.

The difference with the Bauer transfer, is that Charlton aren't in a strong position to negotiate due to Bauer's contract running down and his public statement saying that he won't be signing a new one. They're just digging their heels in for the sake of it, hoping they'll get an excessive transfer fee. That one shouldn't have dragged on as long as it has. 

Edited by RoverKyle

2 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Exactly. They're now haggling to get the best possible deal on him. As I'm sure we would do when selling any of our assets.

I reckon the player must want to leave. Otherwise the whole deal would be off the table already. Can't blame him, there is a real path for him here to be the main striker within a season or 2 for the foreseeable future. Forest are ultimately a crackpot club, even if they are throwing money around this year. 

Just now, OJRovers said:

Would Brereton be happy sitting on the bench most weeks? We play 1 up front and currently the manager has Danny Graham as #1 and Armstrong as #2. That might come into consideration. 

Probably better than not sitting on the bench at all at Forest in the first instance. Also, I would imagine he would be #2 here with Armstrong being #3 but #1 on the left/right.

22 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I reckon the player must want to leave. Otherwise the whole deal would be off the table already. Can't blame him, there is a real path for him here to be the main striker within a season or 2 for the foreseeable future. Forest are ultimately a crackpot club, even if they are throwing money around this year. 

Not sure that's an accusation we can start throwing around just yet with this lot still at the helm.

Sure, we had a good season at our lowest ebb in 40 odd years but as we all welll know chaos is only just round the corner with these owners.

• Like 3

Just now, OJRovers said:

Would Brereton be happy sitting on the bench most weeks? We play 1 up front and currently the manager has Danny Graham as #1 and Armstrong as #2. That might come into consideration. 

DG has a season left I reckon and would probably relish the opportunity of working with a protégé like Brereton. Arma can play wide or through the middle and with him and Brereton being young the chance to form a real partnership is there. If I wasn't a Rovers fan I would still be looking at us as an exciting prospect. 

• Like 1

We know that Mowbray likes his players to be versatile. Bennett, Williams, Travis & Armstrong are shining examples of that. Brereton seems to fit the mould in that he can play comfortably as a lone striker or as a wide forward. Providing he signs, I can see him and Armstrong sharing the lone striker and left foward roles in our current formation long term.

17 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Not sure that's an accusation we can start throwing around just yet with this lot still at the helm.

Sure, we had a good season at our lowest ebb in 40 odd years but as we all welll know chaos is only just round the corner with these owners.

Course it is, calling Forest a crackpot club can be done in isolation. 

1 minute ago, 47er said:

Luckily for us, no-one else seems to have the slightest interest. Which is a bit of a worry in itself....

Not really , the teams in need of a striker most likely don't have the funds to pay the fee.

The bigger sides who do have the budget are most likely covered up front and if not can pay higher wages than us so they would most likely target someone more ready and experienced.

Brereton can play his part this season but we are buying potential not ready made.

• Like 1

It's odd we are offering so much for him. Mowbray must think he's an absolute certainty as a top player.

Guess it's one of those where you have to ask do we trust the manager, and the answer has to be yes. All of his main additions have looked the part.

I wonder if the fee is highly contingent on appearences, a sell on fee and paid in installments over 3 or 4 years. That could explain why it is taking so long and why we can afford the fee.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

Just now, 47er said:

So no other club is willing to pay for potential except us? That can't be right.

More likely they think the fee outweighs the potential.

Just out of curiosity, I don’t really understand who you expect to be after him? Any club names?

42 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

DG has a season left I reckon and would probably relish the opportunity of working with a protégé like Brereton. Arma can play wide or through the middle and with him and Brereton being young the chance to form a real partnership is there. If I wasn't a Rovers fan I would still be looking at us as an exciting prospect. 

Nobody at our level plays two up front and a player like Dack in behind. That ship sailed years ago. 

20 minutes ago, 47er said:

So no other club is willing to pay for potential except us? That can't be right.

So no player is worth signing unless at least 2 clubs are in for him? 

Some fans will always find a problem. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

24 minutes ago, 47er said:

It;s rather like a house - which is only worth what someone is willing to pay unless there are two interested parties competing with each other

Would you rather we were in a bidding war for him and lose out because we can't pay the price?

Odd post.

Edited by jim mk2

Was having a read on Reddit today regarding Glenn Murray's comments and I was very surprised that several supporters of other teams were talking about Dack being ready for the prem. We need to be careful we don't lose him in Jan , could easily imagine Venky's cashing in for anything above £10 mil

Edited by CambridgeRover

1 minute ago, CambridgeRover said:

Was having a read on Reddit today regarding Glenn Murray's comments and I was very surprised that several supporters of other teams were talking about Dack being ready for the prem. We need to be careful we don't lose him in Jan , could easily imagine Venky's cashing in for anything above £10 mil

I don't think we would sell him for less than 15 million in January. Every player has a price. I am sure Mowbray won't want him to go whatever the price. I am not too worried about him leaving in January, next summer is a different story. 

I don't know much about this Brereton but the consensus seems to be the same: great strength, bullish attitude but a lack of acceleration and overall speed. The ability to act as a pivot in any team relies firstly on your passing ability. I don't know if anyone knows about Brereton but if he can pass then he'll probably be worth the fee, if he can't then I'd suspect there are better hold up players than him. Strikers that can hold the ball up and pick a pass out are few and far between these days. As seen with DG they can make other players around them look superb (Dack/Armstrong). By the comments of those that have seen him (and not just Youtube videos) you can see him turning into a Graham type player which is why I think he'd be a good fit here.

Personally I want him. I trust Mowbray though. Should he decide Forest want more than his worth won't complain, likewise if he decides he's worth £8m I won't complain either. At the end of the day I want a player that is going to improve this team and bring us a step closer to the Premier League. £1m, £7m, £10m - whatever. 

3 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

I think that'll depend a lot on our league position. If we're fighting for promotion they won't sell, and if we're fighting against relegation they'll probably wait as well unless he's got a crazy relegation release clause in his contract. Realistically, this season could be our best bet for promotion for a while if Dack ends up leaving sometime in the next 18 months...

1 hour ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

If I wasn't a Rovers fan I would still be looking at us as an exciting prospect. 

But you are, so you’ll look on grumbling if we don’t spend money, moan it’s on the wrong players if we do spend money, remember every mistake every young graduate has made and hold it against him for years, always think that other clubs are getting better players in, hell you might even chant 442 when 3-0 up in the premiership!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 47er said:

Or most managers consider that their job is very short term, they need immediate success or they’ll be shifted for somebody else.

i think we are privileged at the moment to have a manager that is looking long term and is targeting appropriate purchases

• Like 4