BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

7 hours ago, islander200 said:

I don't know Chaddy, Mowbray in that interview talking about his time at Everton and City and saying if he does come in the fans need to give him a chance. 

If we sign both both Reed and Rodwell, we will have those 2, Smallwood, Evans, Travis, Davenport and Rothwell that can play in midfield.Im presuming either Davenports injury is worst than first thought or Mowbray doesn't think he is ready.

I presumw Travis will be going on loan?

Travis is going out on loan, Bradford, Luton and fleetwood made arrangements with rovers, now upto the player. 

1 minute ago, AAK said:

Travis is going out on loan, Bradford, Luton and fleetwood made arrangements with rovers, now upto the player. 

Correct decision by the club if he isn't going to play to be fair.

I'd like to see TM being a little braver and start Rothwell a little deeper 

Just now, islander200 said:

Correct decision by the club if he isn't going to play to be fair.

I'd like to see TM being a little braver and start Rothwell a little deeper 

Think everyone will agree with you on that one mate. Good player. I'm still baffled as to why we aren't looking at wingers, to allow us to play bennett in smallwood role. 

3 minutes ago, AAK said:

Think everyone will agree with you on that one mate. Good player. I'm still baffled as to why we aren't looking at wingers, to allow us to play bennett in smallwood role. 

Bennett has excelled in the middle.  Definitely his best position.  We are crying out for players that can go past a full back and put a decent cross in.....or heaven forbid, have a shot on target. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Bennett has excelled in the middle.  Definitely his best position.  We are crying out for players that can go past a full back and put a decent cross in.....or heaven forbid, have a shot on target. 

Palmer looked every bit that player to me...and btw, what about Rothwell!!!?? Based on what Iv seen in a couple of sub appearances and 90 mins last night he could be the signing of the year for us. He was immense last night imo.

38 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Nah don’t agree with that, Davenport has just signed and by all accounts can hold his own in the division. I’d keep Travis for athleticism and versatility. If nyambe gets injured I’d want Travis there. As much as Rodwell would be a gamble I’d rather him in the mid than Smallwood who has shows he can’t cut it at this level 

Looks like Travis is going out on loan...wonder if he’s thinking the same for Davenport.

Leaving is with Smallwood, Evans, Reed and Rodwell? With Benno backing them up..

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Rodwell? No thanks.

However, based on Mowbray’s comments it sounds like a done deal: we need to give him a chance and it’s really cheap.

The one position we are stocked up on is central midfield: Rothwell, Evans, Smallwood, Travis, Bennett, Travis, even Whittingham hasn’t left the building yet.

What happened to our budget?

Budget still there. Reed coming in. Hopefully loan to buy. Another player coming in

34 minutes ago, AAK said:

I think either Fleetwood or Bradford would be good options for him. He needs to play regulary. I think he be a top player for us in the future. I would like him to stay but understand to loan him out. 

If you believe the salary he was on at Sunderland Jack Rodwell is a very rich man , he certainly does not need The money if he as a unrepentant desire to prove himself once again and we negatioate (as Mowbray said) a cheap deal it might work , that said his injury record his  Vincre Grella level

• Like 1

Rothwell was phenomenal last night, showed a lot of attacking threat but also a lot of heart in defence. 

Reed for me would be a better signing than Rodwell, don’t need two midfielders and Reed has performed more recently. Rodwell just seems like a lost cause, but if Mowbray sees something in him then I’m all for it.

Desperately in need of attacking additions though.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Rodwell? No thanks.

However, based on Mowbray’s comments it sounds like a done deal: we need to give him a chance and it’s really cheap.

The one position we are stocked up on is central midfield: Rothwell, Evans, Smallwood, Travis, Bennett, Travis, even Whittingham hasn’t left the building yet.

What happened to our budget?

I'm out on holiday with a pal who's a die hard Sunderland fan. I'll risk his blood pressure and ask him for the low down on Rodwell later we he gets up.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Looks like Travis is going out on loan...wonder if he’s thinking the same for Davenport.

Leaving is with Smallwood, Evans, Reed and Rodwell? With Benno backing them up..

You've given up on Whittingham then ?  I think we'll struggle to loan him out even if we pay his wages. On another tack , what about the invisible man that is Gladwin ?

Why are we "giving a chance" to a late 20s injury prone player that has been part of one of the worst Sunderland teams in a generation? Why aren't we "giving a chance" to our own? I can't be the only one here who would rather see Travis in the middle as opposed to Rodwell. Surely we have better central midfielders that we can "give a chance"?

Probably the first signing of the summer that I'd be unhappy about. I honestly wish Rodwell the best and I hope he can recapture the form he had at Everton here but whenever I look at him I see a walking crutch and a player shot of all confidence. I'd much rather a young lad with no fear in our midfield to be 'given a chance'.

We supposedly have a decent budget so the cheapness of the deal shouldn't be a reason for it.

The only justification I have is that Rodwell has nothing else to lose. This is the last chance saloon for him. If he's on a pay as you play and he comes in and trains for the next 3 months before appearing as and when it's not the end of the world. A good body to have in - experienced English lad. Definitely uninspiring in terms of first team additions though.

This should mean Whittingham is moved on too

• Like 1

I really don't understand the link with Rodwell. We've got Evans, Smallwood, Bennett, Rothwell, Davenport, Travis, Whittingham and even Dack who all can play there. Fair enough you should always look to improve but central midfield seems the one position we are well stocked.

Out wide we only have Conway, alongside Armstrong and Palmer who can give it a go at a push. We have no decent backup centrebacks, only one right back , and lack quality up front. All of these are high priorities to address.

Seems a very odd one to go after Rodwell.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Sharpe tweeted no fee agreed as of yet for Brereton, club still working on it.

Two in today will be "defensive types".

This doesn't surprise me. We need some bite in defence desperately. Oh for an Andy Todd now - he'd be sent off 5 times a season in modern day football but he'd be a joy to watch him put the fear of god into some of these flair players and, on top of that, bite Evans head off every time he pulls out of a 50-50.

• Like 3

• Backroom

Rodwell would be an atrocious signing and proof of how badly we screwed up the transfer window. I'd genuinely rather we'd have brought back Jason Lowe than Jack Rodwell. Hopefully there's nothing in it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I really don't understand the link with Rodwell. We've got Evans, Smallwood, Bennett, Rothwell, Davenport, Travis, Whittingham and even Dack who all can play there. Fair enough you should always look to improve but central midfield seems the one position we are well stocked.

Out wide we only have Conway, alongside Armstrong and Palmer who can give it a go at a push. We have no decent backup centrebacks, only one right back , and lack quality up front. All of these are high priorities to address.

Seems a very odd one to go after Rodwell.

Looks like Travis going on loan.Doubt we will see Whittingham again in a rovers shirt, Davenport injured, Smallwood not looking up to it at this level, not sure Mowbray trusts Rothwell to have the discipline to play that position yet.

We have numbers not so sure about the quality but if we are bringing in Harrison Reed then don't see why we need Rodwell too.

It is in the forward area's where we need to be concentrating on but looks like nothing happening until next week

46 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Budget still there. Reed coming in. Hopefully loan to buy. Another player coming in

I think either Fleetwood or Bradford would be good options for him. He needs to play regulary. I think he be a top player for us in the future. I would like him to stay but understand to loan him out. 

Reed coming in? Is that a fact now or am I missing something?

I looked forward to this transfer window before the end of last season, when TM said he wanted to do the business early (in fact he wanted his squad in place for the Austrian tour), said he had 2 lists A and B depending on which division we were in, came back from meeting Venkys and said he was satisfied with the budget, has confirmed since that the budget never changed from that meeting, and said he was no great fan of loanees and wanted to sign permanents. He also stressed he wanted young, hungry players who would have a decent resale value. And the Chief Exec said the signings would be so exciting that we would sell another 1500 season tickets!

Therefore we know know that his transfer budget was at least 10-11M quid, that he knew that for months and presumably could go down his list with serious intent.

Yet here we are, as usual,scambling round, trying to sign sign players of no such distinction  at the last minute on loan with an inadequate squad and significant shortages in key areas. How far from TM's stated objectives have we fallen?

2 questions-----what went wrong and whose to blame?

• Moderation Lead
51 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You've posted the above like you know it's fact. Is that the case?

Fair play if it is like, but it's the kind of post that will get people's backs up if you're as in the know as the rest of us (I.E not at all).

• Like 2