BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Looks like Travis going on loan.Doubt we will see Whittingham again in a rovers shirt, Davenport injured, Smallwood not looking up to it at this level, not sure Mowbray trusts Rothwell to have the discipline to play that position yet.

We have numbers not so sure about the quality but if we are bringing in Harrison Reed then don't see why we need Rodwell too.

It is in the forward area's where we need to be concentrating on but looks like nothing happening until next week

I'm confused by Travis going on loan as he has looked decent and provides cover at RB too.

Otherwise totally agree with what you say on cm, but just in the list of priorities other positions seem far more pressing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

You've posted the above like you know it's fact. Is that the case?

Fair play if it is like, but it's the kind of post that will get people's backs up if you're as in the know as the rest of us (I.E not at all).

Basically falls on every word Sharpe and Nixon tells him and then passes it off as his own.

4 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I'm confused by Travis going on loan as he has looked decent and provides cover at RB too.

Otherwise totally agree with what you say on cm, but just in the list of priorities other positions seem far more pressing.

I like Travis too but I do think at his age he should be playing regular football.

Playing the odd game or getting 10 minutes every now and again isn't going to benefit him or us in the long term.

Mowbray did mention that he expects more exciting and expensive signings over the next 9 days and attacking players are harder to get so I'm just taking Mowbray at his word and we will be bringing in some attacking talent before the close of buisness 

5 minutes ago, 47er said:

I looked forward to this transfer window before the end of last season, when TM said he wanted to do the business early (in fact he wanted his squad in place for the Austrian tour), said he had 2 lists A and B depending on which division we were in, came back from meeting Venkys and said he was satisfied with the budget, has confirmed since that the budget never changed from that meeting, and said he was no great fan of loanees and wanted to sign permanents. He also stressed he wanted young, hungry players who would have a decent resale value. And the Chief Exec said the signings would be so exciting that we would sell another 1500 season tickets!

Therefore we know know that his transfer budget was at least 10-11M quid, that he knew that for months and presumably could go down his list with serious intent.

Yet here we are, as usual,scambling round, trying to sign sign players of no such distinction  at the last minute on loan with an inadequate squad and significant shortages in key areas. How far from TM's stated objectives have we fallen?

2 questions-----what went wrong and whose to blame?

In fairness 47er we have signed young hungry players. Rothwell, Davenport and Armstrong all fit the bill. It also sounds like Brereton will be coming too and he definitely fits that bill.

I don't think that anything has "gone wrong" as such but I do think Mowbray has misunderstood the market a little. His repeated claims of "x amount of players by x time" has lead to a feeling of failure. Had we had no expectation of what to expect I'd assume most would consider this window a success. Lesson learnt I hope for Waggot/Mowbray.

I can't justify the Rodwell signing much. It doesn't stink of desperation but moreover an odd decision based solely on sentiment alone. His CV does look impressive on paper but the reality often differs greatly.

The only real gripe I have is the under valuing of wide players. We desperately need width and, after the signings of the two defensive types + possibly Brereton, that leaves us with 1 more signing to complete "Tony's 4". If that final signing is Rodwell then it would seem from the outside like a strange error. We may struggle for goals this season which is probably a signal of Mowbray's intent. Consolidation and continue to build next year seems the order of the day- that will suit me.

2 minutes ago, Valois said:

Basically falls on every word Sharpe and Nixon tells him and then passes it off as his own.

In fairness he isn't passing it off as his own he is just passing on what has been said.

I do think there is definitely something in the Reed link, expect we will find out today as he is being talked about as one of the players expected through the door today 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
4 minutes ago, Valois said:

To be fair, in the past, he's usually qualified this with 'From Rich Sharpe' or 'from Nicko'. But not on this occasion, which led me to query, did he mistakenly omit this?

So apparently we're signing Harrison reed and sending Travis on loan - I'd rather just give Travis ago . Harrison Reed can apparently cover right back to so basically we're getting a player in with a little bit more experience rather then using Travis ?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 47er said:

I looked forward to this transfer window before the end of last season, when TM said he wanted to do the business early (in fact he wanted his squad in place for the Austrian tour), said he had 2 lists A and B depending on which division we were in, came back from meeting Venkys and said he was satisfied with the budget, has confirmed since that the budget never changed from that meeting, and said he was no great fan of loanees and wanted to sign permanents. He also stressed he wanted young, hungry players who would have a decent resale value. And the Chief Exec said the signings would be so exciting that we would sell another 1500 season tickets!

Therefore we know know that his transfer budget was at least 10-11M quid, that he knew that for months and presumably could go down his list with serious intent.

Yet here we are, as usual,scambling round, trying to sign sign players of no such distinction  at the last minute on loan with an inadequate squad and significant shortages in key areas. How far from TM's stated objectives have we fallen?

2 questions-----what went wrong and whose to blame?

Maybe nothing has gone wrong and nobody is to blame.  We seem to have a wage structure in place at last and personally, I would be happy to keep within it.  Clearly we have had targets but if the fees asked and wages demanded are viewed as being too high then I'm very happy we are not getting involved in these deals.  Personally, I'm more than happy with the way Mowbray, Waggott and Cheston are dealing with things at the club and for the first time in a good few years we seem to have structures in place which are working properly. 

The truth is that nobody on here knows what the targets are or the money we are prepared to spend on them.  It's all a bit of speculative fun - or not depending on your point of view.

I think Mowbray definitely wants to send Travis and Nuttall out on loan so that they are playing week in and week out at a higher level than the Under-23's or sitting on the bench for first team games.  Clearly if we don't bring anyone in then they will have to stay to play bit parts from the bench.

As for Rodwell, it will be down to Mowbray to manage him.  If he believes that he can get something from him then on paper it's not a bad move.  Diouf wasn't everyone's cup of tea before he arrived but he did a great job for us.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You've given up on Whittingham then ?  I think we'll struggle to loan him out even if we pay his wages. On another tack , what about the invisible man that is Gladwin ?

I think Mowbray's given up on Whittingham because if he couldn't make the squad last night then he is never going to.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Maybe nothing has gone wrong and nobody is to blame.  We seem to have a wage structure in place at last and personally, I would be happy to keep within it.  Clearly we have had targets but if the fees asked and wages demanded are viewed as being too high then I'm very happy we are not getting involved in these deals.  Personally, I'm more than happy with the way Mowbray, Waggott and Cheston are dealing with things at the club and for the first time in a good few years we seem to have structures in place which are working properly. 

The truth is that nobody on here knows what the targets are or the money we are prepared to spend on them.  It's all a bit of speculative fun - or not depending on your point of view.

I think Mowbray definitely wants to send Travis and Nuttall out on loan so that they are playing week in and week out at a higher level than the Under-23's or sitting on the bench for first team games.  Clearly if we don't bring anyone in then they will have to stay to play bit parts from the bench.

As for Rodwell, it will be down to Mowbray to manage him.  If he believes that he can get something from him then on paper it's not a bad move.  Diouf wasn't everyone's cup of tea before he arrived but he did a great job for us.

I can't agree there Parson, maybe nobody is to blame but surely our recruitment plan wasn't supposed to be like  this.

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

That's what Sharpe is saying on Twitter that he would be coming in with a view to challenging for a centre half spot.

It might not even happen anyway and if it does will be a cheap deal

It’s what we did with Mulgrew. He had played CB but saw himself as more of a CM when he came here. 

Mogga's comments sound like Rodwell is a done deal and knowing the fans will be unimpressed has tried to temper the disappointment by saying he'll be cheap and we need to give him a chance.

I doubt he'll make anymore than a handful of sub apps for us. Fitness and an abysmal attitude will see to that.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can't agree there Parson, maybe nobody is to blame but surely our recruitment plan wasn't supposed to be like  this.

If the players we want cost more than we are prepared to pay then you walk away and look elsewhere.   Clearly players were identified but the fees and wages are an unknown until you start talks and at that point it takes both sides to agree a deal no matter how much the Rovers may want a player.  Watching the City documentary at the moment and it's interesting that they - with all their resources - walk away from deals if they don't believe it's value for money. 

I know it's a different subject but I have to say I still prefer the old system when you could buy, sell or loan players up to mid-March.  It seems to me that every club is in panic mode in the days coming up to the deadline and it all becomes a giant chess game with clubs refusing to release players until the last minute and it seems to drive fees up.  Look at City, having to recall a goalkeeper who they've sent out on loan simply to act as backup because of injuries.  They whole system seems madness.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Can’t be Huth. Chaddy told us we won’t be signing any over 30s and he’s never wrong ;)

Nothing like a personal dig from You Ricky. Shame you have to be that way instead of keeping the thread civil and on topic  

41 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

You've posted the above like you know it's fact. Is that the case?

Fair play if it is like, but it's the kind of post that will get people's backs up if you're as in the know as the rest of us (I.E not at all).

Links were all posted yesterday/last night K-Hod. 

26 minutes ago, Mozzer said:

So apparently we're signing Harrison reed and sending Travis on loan - I'd rather just give Travis ago . Harrison Reed can apparently cover right back to so basically we're getting a player in with a little bit more experience rather then using Travis ?

Travis would benefit from starting every game in league 1 compare some game time here from bench plus cup games. 

TM has gone to great lengths to discuss Rodwell and as he seems to know it wont necessarily be a universally popular signing. As long as he doesnt bring him on a 3+ year contract or something and instead gives him a year to earn a better contract - then it wouldnt be the worst signing. Still only 27 and obviously was pretty good earlier in his career. Perhaps TM can get something close to that back from him.