BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Ahhh ok, so do you know him then?

Because I haven’t read anything to suggest he’s a bad character. Expensive and injury plagued is a given. But a player of his pedigree on not a lot of money with a view to proving himself is a no brainer.

The potential signing of Rodwell isn’t at odds with anything. 

Ok Jack, calm down. Rev clearly said 'anecdotally'. 

On a deal til January or even the end of the season, this would be OK. I wouldn't be concerned about Rodwells attitude. I think that mostly comes from Sunderland fans annoyed he was picking up 77,000 a week while they were shite. The club was all over the place in general. I feel he may have been made a bit of a scapegoat. I could be wrong on that as I don't know all the ins and outs. My concern would be has he actually played well since leaving Everton 6 years ago? City was a bad move for him, but Sunderland was arguably worse. Is he unlucky or the one responsible. If anyone can get a tune out of him, Mowbray would be the one. If he gets going, he would be a serious upgrade on Smallwood 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

There might be a player in Rodwell but I would rather we didn't gamble that we can improve him. If he maintains his current decline we are just wasting money.

I think it would be worth a gamble.  Yes some injuries but looking at his career he got caught up in a big money move from Everton to City which didn't suit him.  I don't think it would have taken place if Everton didn't need the money at that time.  He was moved on to Sunderland which, let's be honest, is a basket case club and yes he lost his way and I am not condoning him going AWOL but can understand.

i think he deserves another chance and TM may have the right philosophy to bring the best out of him.

Interested to hear what Tyrone's mate has to say, when he wakes up?

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
28 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nothing like a personal dig from You Ricky. Shame you have to be that way instead of keeping the thread civil and on topic  

Links were all posted yesterday/last night K-Hod. 

Travis would benefit from starting every game in league 1 compare some game time here from bench plus cup games. 

Yet you also said recently that you thought Travis should stay here and be in the squad.....

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Nah don’t agree with that, Davenport has just signed and by all accounts can hold his own in the division. I’d keep Travis for athleticism and versatility. If nyambe gets injured I’d want Travis there. As much as Rodwell would be a gamble I’d rather him in the mid than Smallwood who has shows he can’t cut it at this level 

Where is the evidence that Rodwell can cut it in this league?

30 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

If the players we want cost more than we are prepared to pay then you walk away and look elsewhere.   Clearly players were identified but the fees and wages are an unknown until you start talks and at that point it takes both sides to agree a deal no matter how much the Rovers may want a player.  Watching the City documentary at the moment and it's interesting that they - with all their resources - walk away from deals if they don't believe it's value for money. 

I know it's a different subject but I have to say I still prefer the old system when you could buy, sell or loan players up to mid-March.  It seems to me that every club is in panic mode in the days coming up to the deadline and it all becomes a giant chess game with clubs refusing to release players until the last minute and it seems to drive fees up.  Look at City, having to recall a goalkeeper who they've sent out on loan simply to act as backup because of injuries.  They whole system seems madness.

I sort of agree with your second paragraph but you also had the danger of desperate clubs coming in just before the March deadline to sign your best players. I E Hull taking Ken Knighton off us to ensure our relegation in the old days.

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

On a deal til January or even the end of the season, this would be OK. I wouldn't be concerned about Rodwells attitude. I think that mostly comes from Sunderland fans annoyed he was picking up 77,000 a week while they were shite. The club was all over the place in general. I feel he may have been made a bit of a scapegoat. I could be wrong on that as I don't know all the ins and outs. My concern would be has he actually played well since leaving Everton 6 years ago? City was a bad move for him, but Sunderland was arguably worse. Is he unlucky or the one responsible. If anyone can get a tune out of him, Mowbray would be the one. If he gets going, he would be a serious upgrade on Smallwood 

TM has always made a big thing of making sure players of the right attitude are brought in - so like you say, his attitude might not be a problem. I doubt he would bring someone in who he feels could disrupt the dressing room. Perhaps Rodwell wants to resurrect some kind of career, needs a fresh move and a manager like TM to get him back on track.

As long as its short term, low-cost deal with a carrot on a string for a better deal down the road, so that he really puts in the effort its a low-risk gamble for me.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

I think it would be worth a gamble.  Yes some injuries but looking at his career he got caught up in a big money move from Everton to City which didn't suit him.  I don't think it would have taken place if Everton didn't need the money at that time.  He was moved on to Sunderland which, let's be honest, is a basket case club and yes he lost his way and I am not condoning him going AWOL but can understand.

i think he deserves another chance and TM may have the right philosophy to bring the best out of him.

Interested to hear what Tyrone's mate has to say, when he wakes up?

My mate's just taken his daughter to the aeropuerto. I'll grab him when he gets back later today. He lives in the midlands and goes to as many games as he can but his brother is still up there, he's a season ticket holder and is in the loop regarding the club.

Just now, JacknOry said:

TM has always made a big thing of making sure players of the right attitude are brought in - so like you say, his attitude might not be a problem. I doubt he would bring someone in who he feels could disrupt the dressing room. Perhaps Rodwell wants to resurrect some kind of career, needs a fresh move and a manager like TM to get him back on track.

As long as its short term, low-cost deal with a carrot on a string for a better deal down the road, so that he really puts in the effort its a low-risk gamble for me.

He has it all to prove, but he def has talent and is very athletic, which we need more of imo. 

I reckon in a strange way its a signing for down the road. I can see it being a season deal, with him not getting up to speed and into the first team until January. 

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

As a kid. Not recently.

Still believe that's TM"s thinking. Not going to get in as defensive midfield especially if Reed comes in and Davenport fit, along with Evans, Small wood etc. Saves on a fee for centre half as well

1 minute ago, Tugayisgod said:

Still believe that's TM"s thinking. Not going to get in as defensive midfield especially if Reed comes in and Davenport fit, along with Evans, Small wood etc. Saves on a fee for centre half as well

You may be right. Centre half involves the least amount of running around apart from the goalkeeper. On the other hand if you're any good there you get a fair amount of physical punishment instead

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

Maybe nothing has gone wrong and nobody is to blame.  We seem to have a wage structure in place at last and personally, I would be happy to keep within it.  Clearly we have had targets but if the fees asked and wages demanded are viewed as being too high then I'm very happy we are not getting involved in these deals.  Personally, I'm more than happy with the way Mowbray, Waggott and Cheston are dealing with things at the club and for the first time in a good few years we seem to have structures in place which are working properly. 

The truth is that nobody on here knows what the targets are or the money we are prepared to spend on them.  It's all a bit of speculative fun - or not depending on your point of view.

I think Mowbray definitely wants to send Travis and Nuttall out on loan so that they are playing week in and week out at a higher level than the Under-23's or sitting on the bench for first team games.  Clearly if we don't bring anyone in then they will have to stay to play bit parts from the bench.

As for Rodwell, it will be down to Mowbray to manage him.  If he believes that he can get something from him then on paper it's not a bad move.  Diouf wasn't everyone's cup of tea before he arrived but he did a great job for us.

Diouf was a great buy but most importantly he was rarely injured.

27 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

Where is the evidence that Rodwell can cut it in this league?

Don’t be costing 38 million in transfer fees if there wasn’t something about you that people liked. I’m not saying he would pull of trees these days but I’d be happy to give him a chance. Smallwood has never played or succeeded at this level 

24 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He has it all to prove, but he def has talent and is very athletic, which we need more of imo. 

I reckon in a strange way its a signing for down the road. I can see it being a season deal, with him not getting up to speed and into the first team until January. 

An injury list with more snapped hamstrings than Hendrix has snapped guitar strings, achilles problems and snapped tendons suggests he's not the most athletic player in the industry.

22 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

So maybe deal till January and then go back in for bauer when Charlton will need to sell? 

34 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

As a kid. Not recently.

Tyrone the man is simply not fit enough to play in central midfield anymore. Natural progression for older central players is to drop into the back 4. The beauty of it is they have learnt to read the game at a much faster pace so the vision that you get with being a centre half usually creates a very good ball playing defender. Injuries have just accelerated Rodwell's change of position

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nothing like a personal dig from You Ricky. Shame you have to be that way instead of keeping the thread civil and on topic  

Links were all posted yesterday/last night K-Hod. 

Travis would benefit from starting every game in league 1 compare some game time here from bench plus cup games. 

Did you or did you not say we wouldn’t sign anyone over 30 and did you not have a go at people who suggested players of that age. Don’t plat the victim card again Chaddy. You’re the biggest culprit on here.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

An injury list with more snapped hamstrings than Hendrix has snapped guitar strings, achilles problems and snapped tendons suggests he's not the most athletic player in the industry.

Being athletic and getting injured are separate things. By athletic I mean big, strong and quick.