BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

Well, I said my opinion would depend on the length of contract - so just for this season on cheap wages, it is not a bad deal. Former England international, Premier League winner (not sure on that but thats what it says on Rovers homepage), still only 27. Admittedly he has had some well-documented problems at Sunderland but if anyone can get him on the right path its TM.

Sunderland fans are laughing at us in much the same we did over Steele but it would be hilarious if Rodwell did buck his ideas up and we sold him for 5+ million in a season or two.

• Like 1

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5280715/amp/Sunderland-outcast-Jack-Rodwell-insists-hes-not-blame.html

reading the above article sheds abit more light on the Sunderland saga. Interesting to read the part where he sees himself more as a centre half, 

Personally I think it’s a calculated gamble , he won’t be on big money because at the moment nobody will touch him given the bad press he has got at Sunderland. It’s a low risk deal for us and Rodwell will see it as chance to rebuild his career. I trust TM to ensure he’s not a bad egg 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JayDee said:

Leave it out, most fans couldn't wait to see the back of him. Let's not pretend he's the dogs bollocks all of a sudden because it suits the negative agenda that so many on here subscribe to lately 

A bit harsh. He did a job for us last year...

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Desperation signing.

There’s no doubt it’s desperation but at least it’s relatively low cost and low risk. My main concern is he physically and mentally still capabale of playing at a fairly high level?

I guess time will tell. I can’t believe he is only 27, thought he must be in his early 30s.

10 minutes ago, tugay5 said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5280715/amp/Sunderland-outcast-Jack-Rodwell-insists-hes-not-blame.html

reading the above article sheds abit more light on the Sunderland saga. Interesting to read the part where he sees himself more as a centre half, 

Personally I think it’s a calculated gamble , he won’t be on big money because at the moment nobody will touch him given the bad press he has got at Sunderland. It’s a low risk deal for us and Rodwell will see it as chance to rebuild his career. I trust TM to ensure he’s not a bad egg 

Good article

7 minutes ago, tugay5 said:

Surely interesting reading. 

I would say who in their right mind is going to allow the club to rip up their multi-million pound contract? They gave him that contract, they forgot to put a relegation clause in the contract. I certainly wouldn't throw that money away.

The refusing to play aspect of this drama is what i do not know much about. Was this true that he refused to play or did they just stick him in the reserves to rot because he wouldnt rip up his contract?

6 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Good article

It was only when I was fast-tracked into the first team, they put me in midfield, it was a bit safer,' he says. 'I do wonder, "What if?" If I'd just said, "I'm a centre back", where would I be now?

'The game has changed a lot. Centre backs now are ball-playing and a lot of midfielders drop in there. I know the position. I'm big enough, I'm quick enough, I'm good in the air. I've got the tools.'

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JacknOry said:

I would say who in their right mind is going to allow the club to rip up their multi-million pound contract? They gave him that contract, they forgot to put a relegation clause in the contract. I certainly wouldn't throw that money away.

The refusing to play aspect of this drama is what i do not know much about. Was this true that he refused to play or did they just stick him in the reserves to rot because he wouldnt rip up his contract?

It came across as such. I’m quite excited about this signing because his only motivation can be success, since he doesn’t need money either.

We will see. If he doesn’t work out, he leaves at the end of the season. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

A bit harsh. He did a job for us last year...

I agree he did a job for us. But I don't believe he would have stepped up to championship level and as such glad we didn't make the loan deal a permanent one. And scoring a goal in the Europa league isn't going to get me thinking we've let a world beater slip through our fingers 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I don't think he refused to play.Sunderland and Coleman wanted rid so they could bring players in but he refused to come to a settlement regarding his contract and was banished to train on his own.

Like you say Sunderland gave him the contract so don't really see what he did wrong?Apart from being injury prone 

Absolutely - footballlers clearly are paid far too much but they gave him the damned contract. How would any of us feel if our employer treated us like that because their circumstances/priorities changed - you could argue he'd have had a valid claim for constructive dismissal if they had forced him to walk.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I think you may be stretching the definition of 'win win'. He might stink the place out for the next 12 months.

9 months, so if it goes sour, pay him up and tell him to find somewhere else to train.

Just now, islander200 said:

Reed will complete his move tomorrow I presume Hughes confirmed in his presser that he was going on loan for the season

Ok, so Rodwell is the CB cover, Reed is the CM - can we now get a striker perhaps (loan to perm) and possibly a winger? Think we would not need too much after that.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, tugay5 said:

Very good article. If he means the things he says & puts those words into action TM might (and I mean might) have just pulled off a masterstroke.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Roswell has to depose one of Mulgrove and Lenihan to get a starting place.

If he gets back to anything like his prime, he is the only player good enough to do that available in this loan widow.

Makes this signing a one way upside bet.

Phil, who the hell are Roswell and Mulgrove??

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JayDee said:

I agree he did a job for us. But I don't believe he would have stepped up to championship level and as such glad we didn't make the loan deal a permanent one. And scoring a goal in the Europa league isn't going to get me thinking we've let a world beater slip through our fingers 

Agreed!