BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

8 hours ago, OJRovers said:

If he's signed Rodwell to play centre back, he's hopefully not going to play much anyway. If he does play and is rubbish, we just bring downing in. Low risk as long as he doesn't upset the dressing room.

The only drawback there is if he does flop we won't have the back up centre half we've been agitating for.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The only drawback there is if he does flop we won't have the back up centre half we've been agitating for.

True.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable if we'd already signed a striker and a winger.

Really hope that this summer isn't like that year when we thought Ince (?) was going to replace Bentley but no-one came in.

Rodwell is here now and he'll my support. Not the most inspiring of signings given the talk of his attitude in the past but we can only judge him on what he does for us. I trust Mowbray not to bring a rotten apple into the dressing room and I trust Graham, Mulgrew, Conway and Bennett not to let it ruin the atmosphere.

Rodwell has split people and rightly so. He will get my full support as any new Rovers player would, my hope is that he's been brought in as it's looking increasingly unlikely we would get Bauer until January at he earliest. The focus has to be on attack now, come on Tone & team get the f8cking players you want in. 

9 hours ago, tomphil said:

I'll be honest i'm not right comfortable with this one you can't deny it smacks of a return to recent needless risks with questionable pathways picking from certain lists giving a home to players no one else will touch.

Hope not of course and at least it's short term as far as we've been told. Don't think his attitude will be a problem at first but his fitness will then so will his injury problems. At least they won't have to pay him off.

If anyone can get a tune out of him you'd think it'll be Mowbray BUT Caddis, Whittingham and Gladwin don't inspire on that one.

Fingers crossed.

His agent obviously played a blinder at Sunderland! Jal----who is he?  :tu:

Fans are right to be sceptical. Man City was the wrong move for him and the Sunderland stories do ring alarm bells.

He's also a case of another player who had too much praise and money when he was too young

However if he is genuine about his desire to play and rebuild his career we could have one heck of a player.

Give him a chance

• Like 7

We wont get the chance to sign many ex-England international 27 year olds for free, I'm quietly confident about this one. Doing some reading around his time at Sunderland it does seem like he has been victim of some of the same tactics Venky's used on Robinson, Salgado and Roberts, freezing him out purely due to what he was getting paid. Sunderland fans will rightly complain about his getting 77k and having no relegation clause, however that's not Rodwell's fault, nobody forces clubs to offer daft contracts. Also I've read that Rodwell should have ripped up his contract and walked, why? Why on earth would anybody make themselves unemployed?

I've not read specifics on what his attitude problems are but a lot of it seem to stem from him getting paid a lot of money and being in a team that to a man were crap the final season in the prem, in fairness Sunderlands plight is as much down to mismanagement at boardroom level as it is to the team. We've seen how chaos at the top spreads like widlfire and Sunderland are definitely victims to that.

I've got a really open mind on this one and looking at the facts of it he's 27, cheap, played 160 odd premier league games, won a premier league title and played for England 3 times. How many other championship players can boast that? On that basis alone I'm willing to give him a good go.

• Like 4

From what I've read, it wouldn't be a far stretch for me to deduct he is not a good footballer and has a stinking attitude as well.

A lot of us are working off him being g a good player with a bad attitude. By the sounds of it he's a bad player with a bad attitude. 

If Mowbray thinks differently then let's just see what happens..

He's a rovers player, hope he turns into a world beater.

Good luck to the lad.

28 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Fans are right to be sceptical. Man City was the wrong move for him and the Sunderland stories do ring alarm bells.

He's also a case of another player who had too much praise and money when he was too young

However if he is genuine about his desire to play and rebuild his career we could have one heck of a player.

Give him a chance

He was clearly a talented lad when young, however his lack of games at City and poor form and injuries at Sunderland don't bode well - he's not achieved.  Like a better paid Adam Henley.

Rodwell fits the profile of most of TMs signings - players that have had dips in form but have previously shown they are good players. Only issue with Rodwell is that his poor form has been over a number of seasons. It's a gamble - but as we can't buy the finished article any more - one that may be worth taking.

13 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

We wont get the chance to sign many ex-England international 27 year olds for free, I'm quietly confident about this one. Doing some reading around his time at Sunderland it does seem like he has been victim of some of the same tactics Venky's used on Robinson, Salgado and Roberts, freezing him out purely due to what he was getting paid. Sunderland fans will rightly complain about his getting 77k and having no relegation clause, however that's not Rodwell's fault, nobody forces clubs to offer daft contracts. Also I've read that Rodwell should have ripped up his contract and walked, why? Why on earth would anybody make themselves unemployed?

I've not read specifics on what his attitude problems are but a lot of it seem to stem from him getting paid a lot of money and being in a team that to a man were crap the final season in the prem, in fairness Sunderlands plight is as much down to mismanagement at boardroom level as it is to the team. We've seen how chaos at the top spreads like widlfire and Sunderland are definitely victims to that.

I've got a really open mind on this one and looking at the facts of it he's 27, cheap, played 160 odd premier league games, won a premier league title and played for England 3 times. How many other championship players can boast that? On that basis alone I'm willing to give him a good go.

Exactly, Who in their right mind is going to rip up a contract given to them worth 3.6 million a year? Times that by 4 before he got his 40% this season, and thats 14.4 million quid plus whatever they agreed with him to get him out on his final year. People can act all morale on it but nobody would do that. Clubs fault for offering the stupid contract and not putting in a proper relegation clause. 

Since he refused to rip it up he has been treated badly by being put in the reserves to rot in the hope that he leaves but stood firm. They also say that he had other offers to go to other clubs but again, those clubs would not be paying even half of that wage level - so again he would be throwing money away. 

He says he has been available to play but they were just not interested. 

56 minutes ago, 47er said:

His agent obviously played a blinder at Sunderland! Jal----who is he?  :tu:

I'll certainly give him a chance and get behind him at least there's no doubt he had ability it's just that he seems about as popular in Sunderland as Best is to Rovers.  We know why we detest 'Fam' and it's with very good reason so the similarities are a bit worrying.

Other side of the coin I remember them hounding out Micky Gray who was a Makem through and through because he wasn't the brightest in conducting himself and was flashing his wealth about. He did alright down here once he'd settled in.

Fingers crossed but him and Reed don't say stardust is being sprinkled to me they say cheap as possible squad options with a bit of profile to them !

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I know that Rodwell is ear marked as a cb, but surely he would be cm cover as well.  We seemingly have loads who can fill the 2 mid roles, making this Reed signing (without a view) pointless - as I can't imagine he's a massive upgrade on Travis.  

Attacking players please Tony.

I think this is being treated as a direct CB option and if he shows he has more to his game then its a bonus... 

3 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I know that Rodwell is ear marked as a cb, but surely he would be cm cover as well.  We seemingly have loads who can fill the 2 mid roles, making this Reed signing (without a view) pointless - as I can't imagine he's a massive upgrade on Travis.  

Attacking players please Tony.

Reed has a lot more experience than Travis and would be better than Smallwood, Reed can also fill in at full back.

Personally think he will be a good signing for the season, giving Travis the chance to play every week before coming back here next season 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I'll certainly give him a chance and get behind him at least there's no doubt he had ability it's just that he seems about as popular in Sunderland as Best is to Rovers.  We know why we detest 'Fam' and it's with very good reason so the similarities are a bit worrying.

Other side of the coin I remember them hounding out Micky Gray who was a Makem through and through because he wasn't the brightest in conducting himself and was flashing his wealth about. He did alright down here once he'd settled in.

Fingers crossed but him and Reed don't say stardust is being sprinkled to me they say cheap as possible squad options with a bit of profile to them !

Not all he flashed either! :unsure:

• Like 1

My Norwich and Southamption supporting friends both rate Reed. Apparently should be getting a chance with Southampton per the fans' view. Small, combative midfielder, lots of energy. Sounds like a good partner for Evans.

The potential Reed signing does seem a bit unnecessary given the numbers we have in that area (the 2 in front of the back 4).  However, in my view he is better than anything that we have in there currently and Tony sees it as a chance to upgrade in that area.  Yes, Smallwood and Evans were good servants last year, but Tony needs to be ruthless and if there is an upgrade available at a manageable cost then he has to go for it.  Especially with it being such a vital area of the pitch - if you have a good 2 in there it makes a world of difference.

So I say go for Reed and pair him Davenport, with Palmer, Dack, Rothwell/Armstrong in front of them.

Just now, Mark Atkins' Bald Patch said:

The potential Reed signing does seem a bit unnecessary given the numbers we have in that area (the 2 in front of the back 4).  However, in my view he is better than anything that we have in there currently and Tony sees it as a chance to upgrade in that area.  Yes, Smallwood and Evans were good servants last year, but Tony needs to be ruthless and if there is an upgrade available at a manageable cost then he has to go for it.  Especially with it being such a vital area of the pitch - if you have a good 2 in there it makes a world of difference.

So I say go for Reed and pair him Davenport, with Palmer, Dack, Rothwell/Armstrong in front of them.

But Evans has been our best player, both this season and for the last couple of months of last season.

• Like 1

Fair point, but I think Reed is an upgrade on Evans (and I'm a countryman of Evans')... and based on what I'm hearing Davenport looked good when he featured in pre-season.  Although I must admit I have never seen him in action myself.

Is the consensus on here that Davenport should start in the 2?

Just now, Mark Atkins' Bald Patch said:

Fair point, but I think Reed is an upgrade on Evans (and I'm a countryman of Evans')... and based on what I'm hearing Davenport looked good when he featured in pre-season.  Although I must admit I have never seen him in action myself.

Is the consensus on here that Davenport should start in the 2?

Not seen enough of him. Hope he shakes off this injury soon.

Did very well at Burton with some saying he gave them the best debut they had ever seen from a player