BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

35 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Hey, QPR paid 2.5 million for him so that must mean he's twice as good as Adam Armstrong, right? That's how transfer valuations work isn't it?

QPR paid £3.5 million for gladwin so he cant be that good or QPR over pay for players

5 hours ago, islander200 said:

Nothing happening signings wise today according to Sharpe.

This is getting absolutely ridiculous,Wednesday we were told a couple in on Thursday. Every week we are being told signings by the weekend but nothing happens.

I'm can share some of your frustration. Maybe some of the terms of the Reed deal has change the last minute. Maybe Mowbray wants a clause in to buy in January not just a simple loan

4 hours ago, islander200 said:

Seen on Twitter that Jim white said on talkshite that Rovers willing to pay up to 14million for Brereton and a deal will be done next week.14 million yeah right, how can they come out with that crap.

Nixon said we are still working on it but nothing near those numbers 

clearly Jim White gets it from somewhere isn't. Do you know when he said this? what part of the show?

3 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Not sure we can afford 14 million, and am equally sure that if we could we shouldn't be spending it all on one player!

Let's say the budget is 8 or 9 million, given the cost of the likes of Dack and Rothwell, surely this money would be better spent on improving the whole squad rather than 1 player in 1 position. Very much an all the eggs in one basket.

By my reckoning we need at the very least we need a couple of wide players, a striker and a good right back (as cover and competition). Spread "even" £8 million on those players, say deals of £2 million per place, and you can get some very decent players in and a very competitive looking squad.

I'm unsure where you get we cant afford 14 mil pounds. Normally these days are paid over a period of time of 2/3/4 years. 

I agree we need one wide player and striker. Do we need centre midfielder? depends where Rodwell will play and if we sign Reed aswell plus if we loan Travis out

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I'm can share some of your frustration. Maybe some of the terms of the Reed deal has change the last minute. Maybe Mowbray wants a clause in to buy in January not just a simple loan

clearly Jim White gets it from somewhere isn't. Do you know when he said this? what part of the show?

I'm unsure where you get we cant afford 14 mil pounds. Normally these days are paid over a period of time of 2/3/4 years. 

I agree we need one wide player and striker. Do we need centre midfielder? depends where Rodwell will play and if we sign Reed aswell plus if we loan Travis out

No I only seen someone say it on here and on Twitter.

I would take what he says with a huge pinch of salt, he said Freeman was having a medical on deadline day

19 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

He is technically correct though. They were "losing at home the other night"...until they equalised.

HaHa, I was thinking that he could have been meaning that lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd walk away. He's not the only deal in town.

Walk away from Brereton? would be crazy to do so. Seems the one Mowbray wants

3 hours ago, RovingRover said:

most likely been offered around by QPR or Agent and Rovers asked about the cost and that's most likely as far as it gone

24 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Maybe not but hardly an exciting signing that both Waggot and Mowbray suggested would be coming to the club.

I suspect that is Brereton tbh. 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

most likely been offered around by QPR or Agent and Rovers asked about the cost and that's most likely as far as it gone

I think Brereton is a talent Chaddy but I'm hoping it's not going to be too expensive.5 or 6 million yeah I'd definitely take him even maybe a deal rising to 8, any more than that and surely we could have found better value.

I will back Mowbray's decision though but really hope there is nothing in this Sylla link.

Wish I could just fast forward to next Friday to be honest,see what squad we have and focus on the football.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The link with the QPR lad is guaranteed bs I'd say. They are probably mad to get him out the door after signing the two lads on loan

If it gets to next Wednesday and we haven't signed Brereton, I will be more than worried. 

If Nixon is correct and another team has come in for Brereton it's just going to make it even more complicated and most likely make it drag on till Friday.

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I think Brereton is a talent Chaddy but I'm hoping it's not going to be too expensive.5 or 6 million yeah I'd definitely take him even maybe a deal rising to 8, any more than that and surely we could have found better value.

I will back Mowbray's decision though but really hope there is nothing in this Sylla link.

Wish I could just fast forward to next Friday to be honest,see what squad we have and focus on the football.

This thing with closing the transfer window but still having the loan window open with potential for loans to buy is all a bit stupid I think 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

This thing with closing the transfer window but still having the loan window open with potential for loans to buy is all a bit stupid I think 

Even more stupid is this loan to buy thing, in essence it's a permanent transfer.

The efl should have just kept their window open till August 31st or close the whole thing on the 9th

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You know when you buy a car and the seller wants £6k for it and then £8k then £12k , what do you do ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TurkishDelight said:

I would take a chance on Paal Alexander Kirkevold. Play in Hobro in Denmark. Topscorer last season in the league.

He has been out injured for ages and is only playing his 2nd game(I think) after that. If we want someone to come in and make a difference from day 1 he isn't the one.

I hope theres nothing to the Sylla links. His signing would not only be poor in terms of the players ability, but it would also be quite symbolic in that we wanted Freeman, as I believe Mowbray acknowledged (correct me if im wrong), which would have been a statement of intent to pinch the best player for a decent fee from a side destined to struggle. Fast forward a couple of weeks and we sign a player who even before they made 2 shrewd signings of proven Championship forwards, was 3rd choice behind Washington and Smith, 2 very poor Championship strikers. Hope its the usual speculation rubbish. Following on from the Rodwell signing it would be a worry.

With Brereton, as I said to @Bigdoggsteel it is fine to critique the potential fee, his poor goal record thus far and as mentioned by the Forest fan on here, his struggles to hold the ball up. It shouldnt be a case of being happy just because we are spending money. That said, most would acknowledge it would have a level of ambition amidst it, the size of the fee, the potential he has, even if all dont agree that it would be the wisest way to spend such money. Which is probably a hypothetical debate anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I get the £14 million is too much in part as explained above as it's the whole budget (or at very much most of it) and as we both agree we need at least 3 other players.

But mainly I don't think £14m is feasible because we a) have £129 million of debt, b) it comfortably smashes our spending record from both when we were a well run club and when Venkys were releasing funds in the early tenure of our championship existence (personally I think they made more than that on fees out but I digress). 14 million is a huge jump and that we've not done so before in a range of other circumstances suggests it's not feasible. C) there's financial fair play which with our attendances and income streams we'd run foul of with a £14 million expense, even over several years. D) The risk - I don't think we'll be relegated but the possibility is there - burdening the club with £4 m + for the next 3 years doesn't make us resilient to that and E) because Venkys net spend over the last 3 years has been very limited, and certainly not to the tune of this size imbalance whatsoever.

On top of all these (hopefully) well reasoned arguments my gut reaction too is we can't afford it. I think from many others reaction too £14 million seems a risk too far.

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The examples you give of players who moved for reasonable fees, mostly play for us :) After unearthing those gems, Mowbray deserves the benefit of the doubt on this one. On Millwall , you do remember they were in League 1 the season before last? They did well last year and have punched above their weight, but I would like to think that now things seem to be going in the right direction here again, our bar is higher than Millwall.  

It's not just as simple as saying you can buy someone who can do it straight away for the same type of money. Look at Ross McCormock at Villa, Scott Hogan too. Both cost £12 million and have failed. So now where are Villa at with them? Factor in their wages, which would be a lot more than Brereton and you are looking at Villa being in the hole for around £20 million on each player if they see out their contracts. Forest signed Grabban for £6 million, if he doesn't work out, what will his sell on value be? Even if he does work out and plays well for 3 seasons, he will have no sell on value and they have also forked out millions in wages. Brereton is a risk too, but if it works out , it could be a far better deal for us in the long run 

Come on, the examples I gave were mostly ones who play for us because 1) That's what I'm most familiar with and 2) That's what other fans here are most familiar with so will understand more easily. More examples are absolutely everywhere. Millwall have an entire team of them.

Of course I remember Millwall were in League 1 the season before last. What's your point? They finished 8th last season with a team lacking a single million-pound player. They've also been in the Championship more than just last season. Obviously our bar is higher than Millwall's, but again, they've never spent a million. Just spending on more deals at the Armstrong level is still well above their level.

Pointing out players who cost a lot of money and failed only really reinforces the common point you know, that we shouldn't be spending all that on one player. However, IF we did, it makes far more sense to try it on a proven track record than someone who has proven nothing really yet. EVERY deal in football can go wrong or go right, we all know that. But you have to calculate your gambles, and £12 million or whatever (even 8 million, for me) for Brereton is a bad calculation. Maybe it will turn out to be deal of the century, but that won't change the degree of risk that was involved. And no, I'm not really advocating buying someone who doesn't fit the wage structure either. I'm saying I'd rather make two cheap punts who cost half that put together. Chances are at least one will come good (and there's nothing to stop their value increasing exponentially too), and if they don't, we have the budget to try again in the summer.

• Like 1