BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

People seem to have taken this latest story about Brereton to heart a little. We were never in for him etc.

It's fairly plausible this is forest still trying to squeeze more pounds out of us. I'm sure we were in for him. I'll bet there was no unnamed premier league club and the price is ridiculous in the hope we'll lob another couple of million their way as it seems as though we are still getting a bargain.

Mowbray has already expressed his disdain over media interference when it comes to our targets. Forest are leaking what they want to leak. 

They want to sell. We know that. I think they have no intention of selling until the deadline though as they know we are a bit desperate and that's when they can demand more. They hold all the cards as I believe they want to sell but don't have too. We need a striker 

6 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I sincerely hope that we have a plan d (that isn't a crap striker from QPR)

I believe TM is now after 2 strikers because of the potentially serious injury to Samuel and that's why the Sylla interest has arisen. He is still after Brereton as well

Sylla's stats aren't that bad actually, averages 1 in 3 which is better than Samuel.Reminds me a bit of Lucas Joao in style

Edited by Tugayisgod

13 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

It’s quickly turning into a terrible window for us, missed opportunity to capitalise on the momentum of promotion. 6 days left and it sounds like we’re scraping the barrel with this QPR guy.

Well I am prepared to wait 6 days but even then it'll be weeks before the best side is up and running. Exactly what we wanted to avoid.

As for the QPR striker, I completely agree----scraping the barrel.

What i find disappointing/baffling is that with a week to go until the (second) deadline is that we haven't signed one player who can come straight into the first eleven and improve our team since the final day of last season.

Promising starts from Rothwell & Palmer but the jury is still out on both of them for me.

I'm all for a bit of loyalty for the players that got us back up, but you coukd argue that half of that side were in part responsible of taking us down in the first place.

You have to improve on what you have every summer or you will end up going backwards again, even more so if you are playing at a higher level.

For me, upgrades on Smallwood and Graham (dont get me wrong both still important squad members) were the first pieces of business we should have been doing as soon as we knew promotion was secured, followed by some much needed pace out wide and goalkeeper to push Raya.

The fact we're still scrapping around free agents like Rodwell and loans, that dont even have an obligation to buy like Reed in the final week speaks volumes to me, i honestly think we have all been lead right up the garden path with this competitive budget nonesense.

I think Mowbray has been brilliant for us but if all we end up with in this window is Rodwell, Reed & and whoever that QPR striker is then questions have to be asked of him and whatever this "new" recruitment policy is. Saying blindly "in Tony we trust" wont just cut it for me.

7 days to go.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, 47er said:

Well I am prepared to wait 6 days but even then it'll be weeks before the best side is up and running. Exactly what we wanted to avoid.

As for the QPR striker, I completely agree----scraping the barrel.

At least a two week break after Bristol city next Sunday, If we do make any signings at least they will have a couple of weeks to bed in 

59 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

What i find disappointing/baffling is that with a week to go until the (second) deadline is that we haven't signed one player who can come straight into the first eleven and improve our team since the final day of last season.

Promising starts from Rothwell & Palmer but the jury is still out on both of them for me.

I'm all for a bit of loyalty for the players that got us back up, but you coukd argue that half of that side were in part responsible of taking us down in the first place.

You have to improve on what you have every summer or you will end up going backwards again, even more so if you are playing at a higher level.

For me, upgrades on Smallwood and Graham (dont get me wrong both still important squad members) were the first pieces of business we should have been doing as soon as we knew promotion was secured, followed by some much needed pace out wide and goalkeeper to push Raya.

The fact we're still scrapping around free agents like Rodwell and loans, that dont even have an obligation to buy like Reed in the final week speaks volumes to me, i honestly think we have all been lead right up the garden path with this competitive budget nonesense.

I think Mowbray has been brilliant for us but if all we end up with in this window is Rodwell, Reed & and whoever that QPR striker is then questions have to be asked of him and whatever this "new" recruitment policy is. Saying blindly "in Tony we trust" wont just cut it for me.

7 days to go.

Long term contracts for Lenihan, Dack, Williams and Smallwood. Rothwell, Davenport, Palmer, Armstrong, Rodwell. Plus still a week left of the window. I'd say he's bought Palmer, Rothwell and Palmer that improve the starting 11, the rest are good squad fillers. Really don't see what everyone is losing their heads about.

• Like 2

Just now, Igloo5090 said:

Long term contracts for Lenihan, Dack, Williams and Smallwood. Rothwell, Davenport, Palmer, Armstrong, Rodwell. Plus still a week left of the window. I'd say he's bought Palmer, Rothwell and Palmer that improve the starting 11, the rest are good squad fillers. Really don't see what everyone is losing their heads about.

Me neither.

All of those things alone don’t equate to “poor”, “terrible” “stinker”...

I personally would call it decent. We’ve spent a couple of million so I’m not even underwhelmed. 

I think people have got swept away with news/twitter stories and I’d like to see what those people would’ve said in May - I doubt many if any would’ve expected us to do much more than we have.

• Like 2

The only reason i, and many others expected more is because the main people (Mowbray, Waggott) have banged on at every opportunity about this competitive budget to bring cash buys in, and wanting at least 4 more in after Armstrong. Waggot himself said that our signings would push ST sales to there targets!

If they had come out and said nothing, i'd be prett content at what we have done. 

For a while on here a few have tried to blame "the fans" for various things, this being another because some are being "unrealistic'. This competitive budget hasn't been made up by the fans.

• Like 9

I think what people are frustrated by is the message “1500 more season tickets” as that implied some level of serious business. I think most on this board would have been delighted with what we have got now plus say Maddison, Bauer and one decent striker. Then after the window if TM had said “we still have some money left” the fans would be amazed and very positive about the summer we’ve had. However the club keep failing to meet self imposed targets and driving some fans crazy.

2 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

The only reason i, and many others expected more is because the main people (Mowbray, Waggott) have banged on at every opportunity about this competitive budget to bring cash buys in, and wanting at least 4 more in after Armstrong. Waggot himself said that our signings would push ST sales to there targets!

If they had come out and said nothing, i'd be prett content at what we have done. 

For a while on here a few have tried to blame "the fans" for various things, this being another because some are being "unrealistic'. This competitive budget hasn't been made up by the fans.

Yeah the openness of Mowbray and Waggott about how many/when we were going to get them/how much money we had was the negative side of this window as it meant that our expectations were elevated. 

I would assume that most people would have been fairly happy with spending 2-3 million in transfer fees in a window on 5 players so far at the start of the window. It is only because we've been told (by the media) that we have lodged bids with a lot of money that people are fussing. And if Brereton happens, which I have a good feeling it will do, we'll not only have spent around 10 million (presumably) we'll have assembled a very competitive squad.

21 minutes ago, Biz said:

Me neither.

All of those things alone don’t equate to “poor”, “terrible” “stinker”...

I personally would call it decent. We’ve spent a couple of million so I’m not even underwhelmed. 

I think people have got swept away with news/twitter stories and I’d like to see what those people would’ve said in May - I doubt many if any would’ve expected us to do much more than we have.

How can you call it ‘decent’ when you’ve seen our subs bench against Reading? Poor would be more apt. Few days to turn it around yet, let’s hope it comes off.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I can understand a bit of frustration IF we don’t get that winger/striker we are obviously clambering for but I don’t think it’s fair until the window closes. In isolation, that would be a failure but this summer isn’t just about 1 aspect.

Posters tried to blame the fans, for what exactly? Unrealistic drastic viewpoints? Aren’t we still owned by The Rao’s?

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

How can you call it ‘decent’ when you’ve seen our subs bench against Reading? Poor would be more apt. Few days to turn it around yet, let’s hope it comes off.

See above- Dack/Lenihan could’ve been punted and replaced by u20 prem loans and league 1 frees.

So far we’ve kept the lot, added first team potential in Davenport, some quality in Armstrong, Palmer and Rothwell with still a few others in or potentially joining Jack R.

The bench on Wednesday also had 2 key players injured, and we had two enforced attacking substitutions. You can hardly turn that into an example of poor recruitment in my view. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 47er said:

I think "some people" feel the Club misled them, many of these "stories" came from Ewood.

I think objectively the windows hasn't been terrible. Our most important assets in Lenihan and Dack has been secured on long contracts. Pleasantly suprised to secure Armstrong, Rothwell very promising so far and improves the team.

However I can very much sympathize with people getting restless now. By all accounts(Mowbray, Rich Sharpe) we are in a position with resources now(money) that most clubs in this division would envy us. Currently we are failing to execute on that advantage. The level of expectations has shifted, which means the dissapointment is surfacing as the deadline approaches. We will see how it's panning out. Most important for me is to address the Graham backup. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JeffRover said:

I think what people are frustrated by is the message “1500 more season tickets” as that implied some level of serious business. I think most on this board would have been delighted with what we have got now plus say Maddison, Bauer and one decent striker. Then after the window if TM had said “we still have some money left” the fans would be amazed and very positive about the summer we’ve had. However the club keep failing to meet self imposed targets and driving some fans crazy.

Not far wrong with this.  If we knew we had a budget of around £8 million, you would have expected us to bring in 6 or  7 players for fees, that would improve the team/squad depth.  We are well short of that.  It is frustrating because this is an open league this year.  With the right additions, we could have an outside shot at play-offs.  This Rodwell signing is just bizarre, I will be amazed if he plays.  Rich Sharpe saying he is being given an opportunity to train with the first team squad and see how it goes.  Doesn't look like he will start any time soon.  We still need  4 players in.   

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Igloo5090 said:

Yeah the openness of Mowbray and Waggott about how many/when we were going to get them/how much money we had was the negative side of this window as it meant that our expectations were elevated. 

I would assume that most people would have been fairly happy with spending 2-3 million in transfer fees in a window on 5 players so far at the start of the window. It is only because we've been told (by the media) that we have lodged bids with a lot of money that people are fussing. And if Brereton happens, which I have a good feeling it will do, we'll not only have spent around 10 million (presumably) we'll have assembled a very competitive squad.

We are lighter than 1 striker though - we need width, and CB cover - it's a good first 14-15 when all fit - we need a good 18. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Igloo5090 said:

" Palmer, Rothwell and Palmer " . So good they named him twice !

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DanielMB said:

Tony Mowbray at the Middlesbrough game tonight. Just watching a game at his old club maybe.

Chapman was not in the squad. Maybe not recovered from his shoulder injury.

14 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

And what if he can't hack the pressure of the fee and just goes into his shell ? That's happened plenty of times.  Kevin Davies being the classic example. Then we've blown our dosh.

We need a target man because we can't play like we did at Hull every week, I wish we could. Teams will come to Ewood and deny us space for the quicker players to run into.

That's easier said than done. Give me quick flair players every time.

1 hour ago, Biz said:

I can understand a bit of frustration IF we don’t get that winger/striker we are obviously clambering for but I don’t think it’s fair until the window closes. In isolation, that would be a failure but this summer isn’t just about 1 aspect.

Posters tried to blame the fans, for what exactly? Unrealistic drastic viewpoints? Aren’t we still owned by The Rao’s?

See above- Dack/Lenihan could’ve been punted and replaced by u20 prem loans and league 1 frees.

So far we’ve kept the lot, added first team potential in Davenport, some quality in Armstrong, Palmer and Rothwell with still a few others in or potentially joining Jack R.

The bench on Wednesday also had 2 key players injured, and we had two enforced attacking substitutions. You can hardly turn that into an example of poor recruitment in my view. 

That bench was a clear indication that we lack squad depth.  The manager has said as much.  Therefore, if the money is there and we don't improve that depth, it is a poor window.

• Like 5