BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

We have signed other players for fees this summer. 

So spending almost £9 million , before add ons etc, along with tying down most of our squad to new deals is short of your expectations, wow. I would have to say your expectations therefore, were unreasonable. 

My expectations were mainly based on what the manager has said in public on numerous occasions. He wanted another 4 or 5, to date we're at 1 with Rodwell. Lets see if we get close to 4 or 5 by Friday then we'll discuss further. If we don't get to 4 including the Rodwell one I'll interpret that as being short of what Mowbray hoped for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

We can probably only afford Palmer when/if we go up.

Will we want him?He looks ok but when everyone fit and if it's a choice between him and Rothwell for one of the slots beside Dack and Bennett then who would you pick?Rothwell for me.

Armstrong and Brereton can play that position too 

I'd prefer Rothwell centrally but that's not going to happen so want to get him in the team 

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Biz said:

Exactly, it’s been the same from JHR all summer 

The caveat was “4 or 5” and now the goal posts are moved because Rodwell is “effectively a loan”...?!

Mind boggling. We needed recruitment, it’s looking like this summer we will have added 6/7 and kept our best players. Despite what Tony may have “wanted”, l can’t see how even the most skeptical fan could be dissspointed

There's quite a lot of talk trying to downplay signings as non-signings to put forward a ******** (I think the n word is frowned upon here...but it is the opposite to + on a battery) view on things. Over the last few weeks I've seen posters say Palmer, regardless how good he is, doesn't count because he's not our player and it doesn't help the club, Rodwell now doesn't count because somehow he's effectively a loan, Rothwell wouldn't be any good because Payne was better and we should have got him instead, Armstrong hasn't ever proven himself at Championship level and he was with us last season anyway, so he doesn't properly count I suppose.  So we still need a load more players because despite our healthy start, with niggly injuries in tow, we WILL struggle. Mainly because the post match analysis shows clean sheets don't count due to Raya having to make actual saves and the wins could have been draws or losses.

Thankfully, I am safe in the knowledge that there's no negativity on here - it's all a straw man argument and nobody ever says such things ?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JHRover said:

My expectations were mainly based on what the manager has said in public on numerous occasions. He wanted another 4 or 5, to date we're at 1 with Rodwell. Lets see if we get close to 4 or 5 by Friday then we'll discuss further. If we don't get to 4 including the Rodwell one I'll interpret that as being short of what Mowbray hoped for.

Ya, so you keep mentioning about Mowbray. It's your go to line :)

It's just I remember you saying we would spend next to nothing this window and that was wrong. 

Anyway,I think you are in the minority not being happy with the window. It's the easy attitude to have anyway, because outside of us going up you ca always claim you were right, as we would have done better if we made extra signings. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

18 minutes ago, 47er said:

We all(?) agree we need another centre-back for when (not if) either Lenihan or Mulgrew are unavailable. That's why TM pursued Bauer for so long but Charlton haven't shifted.

So it now seems that the additional centre-back will be Rodwell!

I see that as a huge risk and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.

Most of us believe we need  Chapman or someone like him.

It looks as if the striker issue is settled.

That's where it sits for me and we have till Friday to sort it out.

I think he's seeing Williams, Downing and Rodwell as his centre back cover. I can't pass judgement on Rodwell as I've never seen him in that position. Ideally we'd sign Charlie's successor as cover, I think Bauer is that player (in Mowbray's eyes).

I agree re Chapman. He just offers that something else going into the last half hour of a game. I'd hate to defend against him.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Again allowing yourself to be influenced by short term results and not by the longer term picture. Yes we've had a good start. Yes we're playing well. You don't need to tell me that. But the plan from several weeks ago shouldn't change on the basis of a few decent results.

Whether we had won our first 5 or lost our first 5 our targets and plans should remain consistent. You don't say 'well we've had a good start so we don't need any more new players now'

As expected injuries are biting and we have to add more depth or we're running a major risk.

You could argue about the playing well part.  We have fought hard every game and probably played better away from Ewood as we prefer to counter attack.

At home we were very lucky first half v Millwall, 2 down after the first half against Reading and offered little attacking threat against Brentford.  We are lacking that bit of extra quality to dominate at this level rather than compete. 

That may be sorted this window or take a couple more (if the money is there).

That said, I think the next year or two could be very interesting and for the first time in  a long while...I am looking  forward to the next time we take on our 6 fingered friends ...

It's just I remember you saying we would spend next to nothing this window and that was wrong. 

Anyway,I think you are in the minority not being happy with the window. 

To date we've spent about £2 million which is very little by Championship standards. It seems we are close to getting Brereton done for a decent sum of money, when that happens I'm ready to admit they've done more than I expected and perhaps some of my cynicism was misplaced. However I don't want the window to hinge on one signing. Brereton is good but other areas need improving.

Just now, JHRover said:

To date we've spent about £2 million which is very little by Championship standards. It seems we are close to getting Brereton done for a decent sum of money, when that happens I'm ready to admit they've done more than I expected and perhaps some of my cynicism was misplaced. However I don't want the window to hinge on one signing. Brereton is good but other areas need improving.

Ya, of course, we could have beaten Juventus to the Ronaldo signing :)

Brererton for 6 Million is much more reasonable than some of the crazy figures that were being bandied around, its still big money but we are desperate for a striker and its getting late in the window so prices are bound to be inflated. Would be nice to get him in today so he can get some minutes under his belt tomorrow. From what is have read about Reed I like the sound of him also signing him would allow Travis to go out on loan and get a full season of first team football. I wouldn't be against signing another centre back but I think we have enough cover there to get us through to January when Charlton may well be out of the play off picture and take a small fee for Bauer instead of losing him for free in the summer, Bauer is clearly someone who Mowbray is very keen on. I would also like a pacey winger but I don't think that is likely to happen as Mowbray doesn't seem to be a fan of natural wide men.

Mowbray said at the beginning of the summer he was 'very excited' about the type of players he was going to be able to sign. Now that we know he has had a sizable budget (by Venky standards) all summer you can see why he said it. As it stands, however, we have signed:-

Palmer - looks decent but against Brentford he was probably one of our poorer players (apart from the goal ?). Is he a winger? Good finish but he wasn't in the game for long periods. He looked better against MIllwall but his final ball was poor. No doubting his ability on the ball but will he be effective?

Armstrong - at this level the jury is out even though he is quite clearly a class finisher. Mowbray said he wasn't a top target. 

Rothwell - looks a bargain at £500k or whatever it was. I think Mowbray will be sticking with Smallwood and Evans in the middle if fit so Rothwell will either go wide left or right. Again is he a winger and will he play when Dack, Bennett and Armstrong are all fit? 

Davenport - one for the future according to Mowbray (but then he said the same about Rothwell). Looking forward to seeing him play but if we are after Reed you'd think Davenport is down the pecking order in CM. 

Just playing Devil's Advocate here but that isn't an amazing window by any stretch. I think it's ok to say that without being vilified by the usual suspects. A bench containing Hart and Caddis does not suggest defensive strength in depth when we only had Williams out. Conway will be a bit part player at best this season and Travis will go out on loan as soon as we sign Reed would be my guess. Downing gives me the fear at this level and you can see why Bauer has been chased all summer. Nuttall didn't look good enough to be considered a starter yet and he needs a loan move probably. 

The great thing about this window (so far) has tying down the likes of Dack and Lenihan to long term contracts that reflect their worth to the team. 

Based on not much knowledge at all Brereton looks exactly the type of player we need. He looks quick and strong and possibly everything Nuttall wasn't on Saturday. When playing teams like Brentford you need an outlet to relieve the pressure. Reed is supposed to be a battler so he'll provide competition in midfield where we need it. A CB would also be a requirement IMO to put pressure on Mulgrew and Lenny to keep performing. Same with a keeper to push Raya. 

Now That's What I Would Call A Window 18/19.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, 47er said:

We all(?) agree we need another centre-back for when (not if) either Lenihan or Mulgrew are unavailable. That's why TM pursued Bauer for so long but Charlton haven't shifted.

So it now seems that the additional centre-back will be Rodwell!

I see that as a huge risk and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.

Most of us believe we need  Chapman or someone like him.

It looks as if the striker issue is settled.

That's where it sits for me and we have till Friday to sort it out.

We have Williams, Downing and Rodwell to cover centre half. 

Chapman is injured and would have been a poor signing imo. The guy can't stay fit. I would see Rothwell and Palmer is better options, even if they aren't out and out wingers 

We have Williams, Downing and Rodwell to cover centre half. 

Williams is a decent CB if we were playing 3 at the back. Downing turns like a barge. Rodwell hasn't had a decent game in 5 years plus. There is a reason Mowbray was after Bauer. 

Edited by blueboy3333

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Williams is a decent CB if we were playing 3 at the back. Downing turns like a barge. Rodwell hasn't had a decent game in 5 years plus. There is a reason Mowbray was after Bauer. 

How does playing in a back 3 or 4 effect Williams? 

I reckon we will sign another centre half, could be a loan though and this will make some people sad and possibly angry. They may even cry. 

I reckon we will sign Bauer in January anyway regardless. Possibly even before that if Charlton find some sense 

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Anyway,I think you are in the minority not being happy with the window. It's the easy attitude to have anyway, because outside of us going up you ca always claim you were right, as we would have done better if we made extra signings. 

Not really.  Maybe, just maybe,  it's not about point scoring.  If you want to progress at anything, you have to constantly evaluate, find weak areas, resolve them and improve.  Constant wash, rinse, repeat.  Every one on here bleeds blue and white, some of us just look at things from a different angle - yet sing our hearts out for the boys on a Sat.  This positive/negative bollocks really gets in my wick. 

From his comments and evaluation of our season start (which lots have been saying is great) you would have TM as a negative poster on here. 

• Like 3

How does playing in a back 3 or 4 effect Williams? 

I reckon we will sign another centre half, could be a loan though and this will make some people sad and possibly angry. They may even cry. 

I reckon we will sign Bauer in January anyway regardless. Possibly even before that if Charlton find some sense 

Childish remarks aside, Williams played left side of a back three at BCFC. He's always played left back at Rovers. Playing centrally in a two is different. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JHRover said:

All the doubts about the Brereton deal were based on Forrest having rejected our bid for 6M and demanding double! No need to be embarrassed about that!

If we get him for 6M, then its a different story and much less of a risk. We still have too many mid-fielders and not enough wide, and still need another centre-back.

Sort those 2 out and get Brereton for 6M and I'm a happy man and I think we all would be.

7 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Childish remarks aside, Williams played left side of a back three at BCFC. He's always played left back at Rovers. Playing centrally in a two is different. 

He played there for Bristol and for us on a few occasions. I wouldn't have any concerns about him playing in a back 4 anymore than I would a  back 3..

2 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

I'm not sure I'd want him permanently. Undoubtedly talented but there is the whiff of the show pony about him and is probably too much of a luxury.

I really like him, he either does something good or occupies 2/3 players and creates space for someone else.

• Like 1