BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

11 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Not really.  Maybe, just maybe,  it's not about point scoring.  If you want to progress at anything, you have to constantly evaluate, find weak areas, resolve them and improve.  Constant wash, rinse, repeat.  Every one on here bleeds blue and white, some of us just look at things from a different angle - yet sing our hearts out for the boys on a Sat.  This positive/negative bollocks really gets in my wick. 

From his comments and evaluation of our season start (which lots have been saying is great) you would have TM as a negative poster on here. 

That's a silly comment. Saying you want to sign 3 or 4 is different to saying you are disappointed regardless who we sign , after the fact. I think we have improved the squad this summer, but I think people may be underestimating how good we were to start with. That season in League 1 has really brought something out of this team. It's not about a major overhaul, its about signing players who will bring competition and help those already here. I think that has been done. Not a perfect window, but much better than I expected it to be.

It is funny how expectations move. If you offered fans these signings at the beginning of the summer, they would have snapped your hand off.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Shame Mowbray doesn't agree, which is why he is after Bauer. 

Well its not that straight forward. Mowbray sees Williams as a left back and Bauer would bring more physicality, which we would all agree we need at the back. Charlton won't budge, so he is being patient. Better to wait for the player he wants ,rather than panic buy. Rodwell is  here on a low cost contract for a season, if he works out, we won't need Bauer, if he doesn't work out, Bauer will be a more realistic option as his contract ticks down. 

• Like 1

Just now, Norbert Rassragr said:

The signings have improved the team, others have extended their contracts and a forward many rate is on the verge of signing. How can it be anything other than a good transfer window? Remember when we looked forward to Chris Brown and Nathan Delfeunso joining?

Was it not more, 

‘Oh shit, we’re doomed!’

• Like 2

Just now, Norbert Rassragr said:

The signings have improved the team, others have extended their contracts and a forward many rate is on the verge of signing. How can it be anything other than a good transfer window? Remember when we looked forward to Chris Brown and Nathan Delfeunso joining?

Who, out of the signings so far, do you think will be a regular in the team?

14 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

I'm not sure I'd want him permanently. Undoubtedly talented but there is the whiff of the show pony about him and is probably too much of a luxury.

I'd like him. Much needed class and flair. I know some don't like flair but I do.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's a silly comment. Saying you want to sign 3 or 4 is different to saying you are disappointed regardless who we sign , after the fact. I think we have improved the squad this summer, but I think people may be underestimating how good we were to start with. That season in League 1 has really brought something out of this team. It's not about a major overhaul, its about signing players who will bring competition and help those already here. I think that has been done. Not a perfect window, but much better than I expected it to be.

It is funny how expectations move. If you offered fans these signings at the beginning of the summer, they would have snapped your hand off.  

Where does it say anything about being  disappointed regardless who we sign?

You sign players -better than the ones we have.  Next window, you evaluate the squad, move on underperforming/weaker players and replace with better.  No?

• Like 1

Our cover at CB is inadequate at best.

Lenihan and to a lesser extent Mulgrew are decent at this level - although even Lenihan has had some wobbles already this season. Both have history of injury.

Both out would mean Downing and Williams in the short term - hopefully with Wharton on a short recall - with Smallwood the likely stand in.

I have zero faith in Rodwell. He cannot be anywhere near the first team right now and should be on buttons until January when he might be near the bench - if he can get fit.

I also don’t like the contract history of the lad. He didn’t have the usual 40% wage reduction in his contract that everyone else did. Not his fault necessarily but I expect that his agent will have insisted on that clause being removed before he would sign it. That makes the player responsible. It shows that his commitment is to his personal earnings (despite already being very wealthy) than on being hungry for promotion. Again, that’s everyone’s prerogative but it’s no wonder then that when the going got tough he was seen differently to the rest of the group. He wasn’t financially impacted like the rest of his team mates - and wasn’t contributing to the level that you would expect such a salary to demand. Would his commitment been as high as everyone else?

Commitment, passion and team spirit are the bedrock of Mowbray’s success with this team. Rodwell could very well undermine that. Or he will show a level of humility not seen at any other time in his career. If he has hit rock bottom and had a wake up call and gets himself fit then he may get there. However, I would be very concerned about giving him a 2 year deal (let alone the usual 3 Rovers give) on the back of one good season.

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

It is. If he rated Williams as a CB in a back four he wouldn't be after Bauer. After all, like you said, he also has Rodwell and Downing who can also play there.

Williams is first and foremost a left back here. I have no idea what Mowbrays opinion on him as a center half is, nor do you.  I reckon Bauer may be a replacement for Downing , who seems to have dropped right out of contention for whatever reason. 

16 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

This positive/negative bollocks really gets in my wick. 

The overly positive/overly negative bollocks gets on mine at times.  As does the hanging on every word of the manager and pestering for daily updates but wanting to throw him under a bus when these throwaway deadlines aren't met. E.g. He said 5 players in June, he said he wanted it done before the World Cup, it hasn't been so the window is a failure, he said 3 more on Tuesday but 2 can't count, Tony must be disappointed, he's going to walk because he's missed his press conference, we've no money, don't spend the money, where's the money from? I trust him today but won't trust him tomorrow...it's comical but frightening how desperate and embarassing adults can be.  Either way, it's bloody entertaining.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Where does it say anything about being  disappointed regardless who we sign?

You sign players -better than the ones we have.  Next window, you evaluate the squad, move on underperforming/weaker players and replace with better.  No?

I agree with that and wasn't directing the comment at you. 

On the final sentence, I think we have done this, squad wise anyway. I couldn't pick anyone near the end of last season from the starting 11 who I would class as weak or under performing. Smallwood is under a bit of pressure now, but the lads earned the right to keep the jersey until performance levels drop to the point where they don't. I think that is good man management 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

I have zero faith in Rodwell. He cannot be anywhere near the first team right now and should be on buttons until January when he might be near the bench - if he can get fit.

Mowbray actually laughed when the RL reporter asked if Rodwell would be considered for Tuesday or Saturday. Mowbray inferred he was weeks away. I have zero faith he will do well here. Once Murphey-ed, twice shy. ("but he's younger"!!!!)

• Like 1