BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Next summer we'll have 13 people who are out of contract or end of loan. These are:

Paul Caddis, Sam Hart, Paul Downing, Charlie Mulgrew, Corry Evans, Craig Conway, Peter Whittingham, Danny Graham, Ben Gladwin, Kasey Palmer, Jack Rodwell, Joe Nuttall and Harrison Reed. 

We will have Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan, Bell, Williams, Rothwell, Davenport, Samuel, Smallwood, Travis, Dack, Armstrong and possibly Brereton under long term contract. 

So approximately half the squad will be gone in the next 9 months as it stands. 

I think it needs to be much more heavily weighted towards a small number being let go and the majority here beyond then.

Caddis, Hart, Gladwin, Whittingham and Nuttall are highly unlikely to feature much this season. Infact they hardly featured much last season, I'm sure if we had offers for them they would already be gone. Conway probably hasn't got much left to give. Graham's contract has the option to extend by another year. Mulgrew I would have already offered a new deal to in the summer when others were getting them. I'd hold of on giving Evans one just for a little while let him play a couple months with no injuries. Rodwell if he was brought in on anything less than a 1 year deal would have been foolish given he past few years. And Reed and Palmer are loans which most football league clubs have at least a couple of a season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

But that's still 6 or 7 squad fillers needed if we let them go, from what is not a large squad to begin with.  

We need to be replacing 2-3 a year not 7 to 10 each year. 

Replacing 2-3 of a 23-man squad a year implies an average tenure per player of around a decade....! Even Bobby Saxton didn’t manage that.

I do wonder if Rovers included a 1 or 2 year option into Rodwell's contract.

If we're paying him say, I dunno, £7k a week this season. We could have agreed to a 2 year £15k contract if he succeeds. That prevents us wasting our time on a success, and also Rodwell or his agent reverting to form and asking for £30k+.

Yet we probably didn't announce it as a "short term deal with 2 year option" to prevent the potential fallout. 

Does a anyone actually have any idea what his wage may be?

Happy with Reed and £6m Bereton, now to get some players out on loan.

11 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Next summer we'll have 13 people who are out of contract or end of loan. These are:

Paul Caddis, Sam Hart, Paul Downing, Charlie Mulgrew, Corry Evans, Craig Conway, Peter Whittingham, Danny Graham, Ben Gladwin, Kasey Palmer, Jack Rodwell, Joe Nuttall and Harrison Reed. 

Won't find 1% of people complaining about Caddis, Hart, Downing, Whittingham, Gladwin (and Leutwiler). Most would probably happily see them go now.

Nuttall needs a loan. I agree Mulgrew and Evans should be talked too and Graham can wait till season end again.

Having 14 promising/talented players under contract long term is fantastic for us after the past few years.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Al said:

I'd like him. Much needed class and flair. I know some don't like flair but I do.

A good team has a mixture of both flair players and grafters. The team we had that won the big one had it right. A ex pro pal of mine used to have a saying -  " You'd never win anything with a team of Bobby Charlton's because they'd never have the ball ".

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

I do wonder if Rovers included a 1 or 2 year option into Rodwell's contract.

If we're paying him say, I dunno, £7k a week this season. We could have agreed to a 2 year £15k contract if he succeeds. That prevents us wasting our time on a success, and also Rodwell or his agent reverting to form and asking for £30k+.

Yet we probably didn't announce it as a "short term deal with 2 year option" to prevent the potential fallout. 

Does a anyone actually have any idea what his wage may be?

Happy with Reed and £6m Bereton, now to get some players out on loan.

Won't find 1% of people complaining about Caddis, Hart, Downing, Whittingham, Gladwin (and Leutwiler). Most would probably happily see them go now.

Nuttall needs a loan. I agree Mulgrew and Evans should be talked too and Graham can wait till season end again.

Having 14 promising/talented players under contract long term is fantastic for us after the past few years.

Doesn't actually matter that much whether those out of contract are ones we want to keep or not. 

The point is that we need to be building a squad bit by bit not seeing a dozen plus out of contract each year. 

Those bodies will need replacing properly hence why bringing in more permanents now would offset it somewhat next year.

24 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Replacing 2-3 of a 23-man squad a year implies an average tenure per player of around a decade....! Even Bobby Saxton didn’t manage that.

Aha but we have a young squad ?

Improve the first 18 with 2-3 quality signings a seson!   Personally I'd be filling out the lower end of the squad with players moved up from the under 23s rather than the Caddis and Gladwins of this world.

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

You’d be disappointed!? Mate, we’re 5th in the league with a team full of lads willing to die for the cause. We’ve signed some fantastic players this window already along with potential and we’re about to commit to £6m on a 19yr Old wonderkid!! 

If this isn’t heaven for a Rovers fan after the last 9yrs I don’t know what is!!? ??

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Maybe the players Mowbray wants arent available at the minute cos that clubs wants 2 or 3 players in 1st before making them available. 

I rather get his 1st or 2nd choices then get someone who might be 4th or 5th on a list.

Maybe that the hold up with the Reed deal cos Rovers want a permanent deal clause in there at a set fee but Southampton dont. 

I have no idea why you would disappointted if we dont make more a couple of signings. We are playing well and already showing we can match teams up in this league. 

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Disappointed? So far we have signed 4 players on permanent deals and 1 on loan. Reed and Brereton will bring the total of new players up to 7, with only 2 of those on loan ,with no option to buy. Mowbray has also made Travis part of the 1st team. Rodwell on a 1 year deal makes sense, if he goes well, he will get another contract.   So you want 2 more permanents this week as well as Brereton? Man, are you ever happy? 

2 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

Rovers fans are never happy with their lot! Always finding something to whine and whinge about.

On the back of a successful return to the Championship we sit in5th spot unbeaten with a healthy squad who wear the shirt with pride. Couple this with the lot that have gone before and who screwed the club rotten and there is a huge difference in atmosphere.

This is BRFC 2018: a complete rebuild of the club and it’s looking rosey - red rosey in fact.

Some need to lose the negativity and get behind the club 100%. Stop whining your sounding like a downtrodden John claret!

Dont worry be happy for once. it’s the bank holiday, it’s not raining and all is good in the world of Blackburn Rovers FC????

@JHRover makes some valid points, acknowledging the quality of the signings we are making whilst also suggesting that hes a bit disapointed that we didnt fill all of the voids that we needed to, a constructive and balanced post, and hes instantly hounded by the usual suspects with the same boring, predictable cliches, "are you ever happy," "stop being negative" etc. And going off on a tangent about supporting the team (something he didnt remotely suggest he wouldnt), that weve got a great team spirit, that we are 5th in the league and even that he sounds like a Burnley fan.

I for one agree with him. I think that Armstrong and Brereton (if and when he signs) are big, exciting additions to a threadbare attack, that Palmer and Reed are very clever uses of the loan market, rather than squad fillers, that Rothwell is clearly a very capable addition. Davenport im unsure how much he will play but hes a potentially good player from the limited I know. Leaving only Rodwell who I think is going to be a poor signing.

I expected at the start of the summer to end the window in a weaker position than we finished last season, mainly as I didnt expect Armstrong back. We are going to go into this season with a much stronger squad. But not a perfect squad unless we sign 2 further that we are unaware of. We are still really threadbare at centre back, an injury to Mulgrew or Lenihan and we would be up shit creek without a paddle with no sufficient cover. Secondly we need a pacy wide man, we have some good attacking players to play in the 3 behind the striker but we lack a pacy, direct winger as an option, Dack, Rothwell and Palmer are all similar in wanting to come inside, Armstrong I like wide but he wants to be a striker long term, Brereton was really poor wide at Forest from and Bennett and Conway are slow and not very attacking so a pacy wide man would finish us off there.

You dont have to agree with everything or think that everythings perfect to be backing the manager or the team. That myth needs to be broken.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

@JHRover makes some valid points, acknowledging the quality of the signings we are making whilst also suggesting that hes a bit disapointed that we didnt fill all of the voids that we needed to, a constructive and balanced post, and hes instantly hounded by the usual suspects with the same boring, predictable cliches, "are you ever happy," "stop being negative" etc. And going off on a tangent about supporting the team (something he didnt remotely suggest he wouldnt), that weve got a great team spirit, that we are 5th in the league and even that he sounds like a Burnley fan.

I for one agree with him. I think that Armstrong and Brereton (if and when he signs) are big, exciting additions to a threadbare attack, that Palmer and Reed are very clever uses of the loan market, rather than squad fillers, that Rothwell is clearly a very capable addition. Davenport im unsure how much he will play but hes a potentially good player from the limited I know. Leaving only Rodwell who I think is going to be a poor signing.

I expected at the start of the summer to end the window in a weaker position than we finished last season, mainly as I didnt expect Armstrong back. We are going to go into this season with a much stronger squad. But not a perfect squad unless we sign 2 further that we are unaware of. We are still really threadbare at centre back, an injury to Mulgrew or Lenihan and we would be up shit creek without a paddle with no sufficient cover. Secondly we need a pacy wide man, we have some good attacking players to play in the 3 behind the striker but we lack a pacy, direct winger as an option, Dack, Rothwell and Palmer are all similar in wanting to come inside, Armstrong I like wide but he wants to be a striker long term, Brereton was really poor wide at Forest from and Bennett and Conway are slow and not very attacking so a pacy wide man would finish us off there.

You dont have to agree with everything or think that everythings perfect to be backing the manager or the team. That myth needs to be broken.

The irony is, I'm pretty certain TM views the squad the same way!

41 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We will have Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan, Bell, Williams, Rothwell, Davenport, Samuel, Smallwood, Travis, Dack, Armstrong and possibly Brereton under long term contract. 

I think it needs to be much more heavily weighted towards a small number being let go and the majority here beyond then.

Yeah. Between now and Christmas they will decide who they want to keep from the permenant pool. My guess is that Mulgrew, Evans, Nuttall and possibly Graham will be offered extensions. The rest will be ready to move on. If Rodwell is anywhere near it he’ll also be extended. There are no players on there who are holding out on us. We hold the cards.

Ok, so potentially only Palmer and Reed will be a loss to the team? That’s two players.

On the flip side, Tomlinson, Mols, Travis etc will all be a year on.

whichever way you paint it, to say we planning short term is ridiculous. If anything, you could (and now probably will) argue that we could’ve added more experience to that group. Older more expensive players to guide them over the short term.

• Like 1

Seems peoples main problem with the window is that we didn't sign Chapman or someone like him. I think we can agree it was a good move not signing Chapman, as for someone like him- I am all for suggestions. Rothwell, Palmer and Brereton all look far, far more useful, well-rounded and robust players to me. I have absolutely no concerns about us as an attacking force. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

50 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Personally of your list of out of contract players, I would only be worried about 5 of them. Mulgrew, Evans, Graham, Rodwell and Reed, the last two are only there on potential

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Rodwell is effectively a loan as he is only here until the end of the season. If we can't or won't get the deals over the line in the long summer months then we'll struggle in January.

More to the point do you think Mowbray will be happy having said numerous times he wanted 4 or 5 more bodies in preferably on long term contracts and to date we've added Jack Rodwell until the end of the season (effectively a loan)?

Yes I'm happy with the Brereton one (when or if it eventually gets done). I also quite like the sound of Reed though again would prefer a permanent. That's two down, or three if we're being generous and counting Rodwell, so another couple to go. 

Rodwell is our till the summer and on 12 months deal which I think likely that we would/could extend his deal. 

If you look at our summer spending so far its been good and we have signed young English players and we have tied down players like Dack, Lenihan and Raya to long term contracts. Its appears a plan from Mowbray to bring in these young players and he wants to go that route and signing young, developing them into good players. If we get Brereton in that near 10 million pounds spent and when was the last we signed so many British players in one summer. Also was talking to a friend on Saturday who said when was the last time we had such a England/British squad and I remark probably under King Kenny. 

I can understand that you would prefer Reed on loan with permanent clause in there but maybe we are signing him for the season till we get Trapp in. 

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Again allowing yourself to be influenced by short term results and not by the longer term picture. Yes we've had a good start. Yes we're playing well. You don't need to tell me that. But the plan from several weeks ago shouldn't change on the basis of a few decent results.

Whether we had won our first 5 or lost our first 5 our targets and plans should remain consistent. You don't say 'well we've had a good start so we don't need any more new players now'

As expected injuries are biting and we have to add more depth or we're running a major risk.

When Brereton signed we will have 15 players under contract for next season plus with us having the chance of adding to the squad in January with permanent signings like Graham replacement, better back up keeper, centre back like Bauer. Plus we haven't renew Evans and Mulgrew contracts either yet. I would be doing so. 

We currently have 28 players in the squad if you included Fisher, Whittingham, Caddis, Tomlinson and Hart. 

Are we going to loaning some of these players out like Tomlinson, Caddis, Hart, Whittingham before the deadline on Friday?