BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Seems peoples main problem with the window is that we didn't sign Chapman or someone like him. I think we can agree it was a good move not signing Chapman, as for someone like him- I am all for suggestions. Rothwell, Palmer and Brereton all look far, far more useful, well-rounded and robust players to me. I have absolutely no concerns about us as an attacking force. 

I didnt want Chapman solely for injury reasons. None of the 3 players you mentioned play in the same position. Brereton is a striker and Palmer and Rothwell are central players. None of them are natural, pacy wingers.

And no, I dont have a list, im not a scout sadly.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Next summer we'll have 13 people who are out of contract or end of loan. These are:

Paul Caddis, Sam Hart, Paul Downing, Charlie Mulgrew, Corry Evans, Craig Conway, Peter Whittingham, Danny Graham, Ben Gladwin, Kasey Palmer, Jack Rodwell, Joe Nuttall and Harrison Reed. 

We will have Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan, Bell, Williams, Rothwell, Davenport, Samuel, Smallwood, Travis, Dack, Armstrong and possibly Brereton under long term contract. 

So approximately half the squad will be gone in the next 9 months as it stands. 

I think it needs to be much more heavily weighted towards a small number being let go and the majority here beyond then.

I expect Caddis, Hart, Whittingham and Gladwin will leave come the end of the season.
Rovers will offer new contracts to Mulgrew, Evans and possibly Rodwell depending on how well he does.
Downing, Conway and Graham have options for a further 12 months on their contract.
Again, Palmer and Reed might be subject to bids by Rovers depending how well they do this season. Granted I think we will struggle to sign either.
Nuttall signed a new contract last January that will keep him at the club until 2021. 

To be honest, after the crappy transfer windows we have had to endure in the past few seasons, I find it difficult to find many faults at all.

None of us had a clue we would be spending close to 10 million (once brereton comes in) this window with many of us expecting 3 million tops. That alone is positive but we also have to be happy with the types of signings coming in as well. Young and up'n'coming players with big potential.

Is it a perfect window? No

Could we do with a couple more? Of course (and there is still time)

But had some one told me at the end of the season that we would be sign Armstrong permanently and get a 6 million striker in permanently and loaned in the highly rated Palmer I would have probably laughed in their face. Then throw in Rothwell who so far looks brilliant, Davenport who is highly-rated,  and the gamble (which might just workout) in Rodwell and you have to say its been great business - especially considering we have kept hold of all of the players we wanted to.

Reed in as well now and possibly one or two more and I just cannot see how anyone would be disappointed.    

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well its not that straight forward. Mowbray sees Williams as a left back and Bauer would bring more physicality, which we would all agree we need at the back. Charlton won't budge, so he is being patient. Better to wait for the player he wants ,rather than panic buy. Rodwell is  here on a low cost contract for a season, if he works out, we won't need Bauer, if he doesn't work out, Bauer will be a more realistic option as his contract ticks down. 

If Mowbray is waiting Bauer that could explained why Rodwell is here. Liverpool waited an extra transfer window to get Van Dijk. 

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

@JHRover makes some valid points, acknowledging the quality of the signings we are making whilst also suggesting that hes a bit disapointed that we didnt fill all of the voids that we needed to, a constructive and balanced post, and hes instantly hounded by the usual suspects with the same boring, predictable cliches, "are you ever happy," "stop being negative" etc. And going off on a tangent about supporting the team (something he didnt remotely suggest he wouldnt), that weve got a great team spirit, that we are 5th in the league and even that he sounds like a Burnley fan.

I for one agree with him. I think that Armstrong and Brereton (if and when he signs) are big, exciting additions to a threadbare attack, that Palmer and Reed are very clever uses of the loan market, rather than squad fillers, that Rothwell is clearly a very capable addition. Davenport im unsure how much he will play but hes a potentially good player from the limited I know. Leaving only Rodwell who I think is going to be a poor signing.

I expected at the start of the summer to end the window in a weaker position than we finished last season, mainly as I didnt expect Armstrong back. We are going to go into this season with a much stronger squad. But not a perfect squad unless we sign 2 further that we are unaware of. We are still really threadbare at centre back, an injury to Mulgrew or Lenihan and we would be up shit creek without a paddle with no sufficient cover. Secondly we need a pacy wide man, we have some good attacking players to play in the 3 behind the striker but we lack a pacy, direct winger as an option, Dack, Rothwell and Palmer are all similar in wanting to come inside, Armstrong I like wide but he wants to be a striker long term, Brereton was really poor wide at Forest from and Bennett and Conway are slow and not very attacking so a pacy wide man would finish us off there.

You dont have to agree with everything or think that everythings perfect to be backing the manager or the team. That myth needs to be broken.

I didn't posted anything of these words in your 1 paragraph so I don't see why you have said I have. 

Yes we could do with another centre back but its appears that we will use Rodwell there plus we have Downing and Williams who can play there. Bell and Nyambe been excellent at full back so far. Like I said above is Mowbray waiting for Bauer and willing to wait to get his man. 

Is Mowbray even looking at a pacey wide man? after Reed and Brereton signings who else is he targeting? 

Looking at the centre forward position we have enough after Brereton until end of the season. But we need to looking at Graham type player replacement in the summer or January. I know who I would go after but I'm sure Mowbray is looking already. 

at the 3 behind the striker we have Palmer, Dack, Rothwell, Conway, Bennett and Possibly Armstrong. We are ok, yes lack a pacey wide man but does Mowbray even want one tho? or yet again is he waiting for Chapman to become available after Boro sign their players they want. Or are going to wait till the summer when he is on a free

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I didnt want Chapman solely for injury reasons. None of the 3 players you mentioned play in the same position. Brereton is a striker and Palmer and Rothwell are central players. None of them are natural, pacy wingers.

Rothwell and Palmer have played wide under Mowbray so you cant see they haven't played in the same position as Chapman. Mowbray has already explained how he played his wide players. Our full backs provide width aswell. 

• Backroom

You have to assume Travis will go on loan in the next day or two, there’s a few that won’t get near the bench now.

For two central roles we now have Evans, Smallwood, Travis, Reed, Rodwell and Davenport.

Rodwell May have been brought in with defensive cover in mind but in his eyes he’s not here to make up numbers.

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

If Mowbray is waiting Bauer that could explained why Rodwell is here. Liverpool waited an extra transfer window to get Van Dijk. 

I didn't posted anything of these words in your 1 paragraph so I don't see why you have said I have. 

Yes we could do with another centre back but its appears that we will use Rodwell there plus we have Downing and Williams who can play there. Bell and Nyambe been excellent at full back so far. Like I said above is Mowbray waiting for Bauer and willing to wait to get his man. 

Is Mowbray even looking at a pacey wide man? after Reed and Brereton signings who else is he targeting? 

Looking at the centre forward position we have enough after Brereton until end of the season. But we need to looking at Graham type player replacement in the summer or January. I know who I would go after but I'm sure Mowbray is looking already. 

at the 3 behind the striker we have Palmer, Dack, Rothwell, Conway, Bennett and Possibly Armstrong. We are ok, yes lack a pacey wide man but does Mowbray even want one tho? or yet again is he waiting for Chapman to become available after Boro sign their players they want. Or are going to wait till the summer when he is on a free

The opening quotes werent yours, you was the least over the top in your instant dismissal of our transfer window being perfect but it was still the same kind of post.

Im not talking about what Mowbray wants, I am talking about my opinion, rather than doing what you do and try and mirror Mowbrays opinion or what Mowbray will do.

Presumably, Mowbray doesnt want a pacy winger or he would get one. Doesnt mean I and others cant think we need one, and have thoughts of our own. Palmer and Rothwell always want to come in central, Id like an option of a player who runs on the outside.

In terms of strikers, central midfielders and attacking midfielders, wed have had a very productive window and spent more than I expected.

At centre back, both Downing (after an initial couple of months) and Williams looked out of their depth in League 1 there when needed for longer than a game. Neither are back up suitable to cover Mulgrew and Lenihan, both of whom are injury prone. Neither is a player who in general is nowhere near fit, is a massive gamble and critically, has played in midfield al of his life. You didnt want him and you also said that he should be a midfielder, so its crazy that now you seem to think he is a capable third choice centre back. 

If he is waiting for Bauer then surely we should sign a loan to cover his inevitable purchase.

6 minutes ago, J*B said:

Facebook has suddenly gone nuts with people saying Brereton is in whalley with Armstrong. Armstrong lives there so would make sense.

Yes this makes sense. My parents saw Armstrong in Benedicts restaurant in Whalley the weekend just gone. Given that they might know each other from the England youth set up and Brereton was at Brockhall today for a medical it all ties together.

8 minutes ago, Tom said:

You have to assume Travis will go on loan in the next day or two, there’s a few that won’t get near the bench now.

For two central roles we now have Evans, Smallwood, Travis, Reed, Rodwell and Davenport.

Rodwell May have been brought in with defensive cover in mind but in his eyes he’s not here to make up numbers.

Rodwell should be nowhere near our midfield.

Travis is energetic but is still a novice in the middle (people still don’t seem to get this).

Davenport is an unknown at this stage. Have we brought him in only to replace him with Reed?

Evans and Smallwood are our only recognised centre midfielders under Mowbray. He prefers to play Bennett, Rothwell and even Armstrong out of position to cover the lack of genuine wingers.

Rothwell and Bennett could revolutionise our centre midfield with a holding player behind them - probably Evans (if in form) or Reed.

Our lack of natural width is a strange one given our alleged budget. Which suggests it’s a tactical decision.

What is wrong with Brereton ? There must be a reason why a Premiership club hasn't taken a punt on him - £6m isn't that much for a Premiership club. Looking at the highlights (which can be deceiving) he looks like he has pace, strength and dribbling ability - combined with the pace of Armstrong our somewhat slow team will start to look a lot quicker.

2 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

What is wrong with Brereton ? There must be a reason why a Premiership club hasn't taken a punt on him - £6m isn't that much for a Premiership club. Looking at the highlights (which can be deceiving) he looks like he has pace, strength and dribbling ability - combined with the pace of Armstrong our somewhat slow team will start to look a lot quicker.

Window’s shut, and they can just get him off us after he’s developed further.

Nothing is wrong with Brereton , stop looking for faults, enjoy the moment, positive start to campaign and despite a slow start with transfers it’s shaping up very nicely. Iv been a big doubter if mowbray in the past but he is starting to get me excited as to where this project could finish, love the blueprint with young hungry team assembled 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Olly Burke's career seems to have stalled.  Wonder if he could be available on a loan with a view.  Maybe another head gone case, but we seem ok with that!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Im not talking about what Mowbray wants, I am talking about my opinion, rather than doing what you do and try and mirror Mowbrays opinion or what Mowbray will do.

Presumably, Mowbray doesnt want a pacy winger or he would get one. Doesnt mean I and others cant think we need one, and have thoughts of our own. Palmer and Rothwell always want to come in central, Id like an option of a player who runs on the outside.

In terms of strikers, central midfielders and attacking midfielders, wed have had a very productive window and spent more than I expected.

At centre back, both Downing (after an initial couple of months) and Williams looked out of their depth in League 1 there when needed for longer than a game. Neither are back up suitable to cover Mulgrew and Lenihan, both of whom are injury prone. Neither is a player who in general is nowhere near fit, is a massive gamble and critically, has played in midfield al of his life. You didnt want him and you also said that he should be a midfielder, so its crazy that now you seem to think he is a capable third choice centre back. 

If he is waiting for Bauer then surely we should sign a loan to cover his inevitable purchase.

I look at what Mowbray is saying and suggesting then work off that. 

Maybe Mowbray wants Chapman and he is his 1st choice but he is willing to wait to he is available in the summer. I don't know or maybe another target isn't available or price unrealistic

I felt Downing was fine last season most of the time. 

I suggested you look at Rodwell past cos he has played centre back in the past which I think was in his youth days at Everton. 

Your line of "You didn't want him" is unnecessary cos as you keep saying we aren't scouts. The last time I heard he was at Watford so I thought he was signing there. I can suggest where he should play but Mowbray clearly knows where he will play him from his comments and that's seems Centre back.

12 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Our lack of natural width is a strange one given our alleged budget. Which suggests it’s a tactical decision.

This is what my point was to @roversfan99. But I don't think I was clear enough in my point to him

2 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Nothing is wrong with Brereton , stop looking for faults, enjoy the moment, positive start to campaign and despite a slow start with transfers it’s shaping up very nicely. Iv been a big doubter if mowbray in the past but he is starting to get me excited as to where this project could finish, love the blueprint with young hungry team assembled 

We were talking about the team we are building and the way we are doing it through signing young players and building a team full work rate, skill, passion and never know when we are beaten. 

• Like 1

If Sam Gallagher could've been bought for similar money then I'd be surprised if we haven't made an offer. One would have presumed that given the fact he's been here before and scored goals that he'd have been a lower risk signing. 

I'm looking forward to bringing Brereton in but it's a transfer heavily weighted on potential and not proven quality. Considering our wage to income balance sheet, spending this amount of money on this lad is a massive gamble. It will also no doubt bring some unwanted expectation on both TM as a manager to get a return from him and the player himself to perform given the transfer fee. If we're comparing to the business we've already done, I have to say Armstrong looks far better value for money, considering he already knows his surroundings and has scored goals here. 

Its obvious the lad is a good player, he seems to have everything you need from a modern attacking player but for this to be a success he's going to need goals, I just hope he manages to get himself on the score sheet soon to ease the nerves around this one. 

Overall I think I preferred us signing players for good value and going under the radar but if v****s are putting their hand in their pocket for once I don't blame TM taking full advantage of that whilst he can. 

Being positive for a moment, this should be a great environment for a player like Brereton to come in and express himself. There are plenty of leaders and experienced players for him to learn from and a lot of good young talent for him to mix with. Hopefully it will bring the best out of him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Olly Burke's career seems to have stalled.  Wonder if he could be available on a loan with a view.  Maybe another head gone case, but we seem ok with that!

That would be another good signing if we could make it. With West brom playing 3 at the back it wont suit Burke game

31 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Well he's only just turned 19. If a PL club signs him they're only going to loan him back out again - he's not good enough at the moment to start for a team up there.

If he does well for us this year, as I assume if we're paying £6m he's going to feature heavily, they'll be sniffing around.