BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

Difficult to fairly compare newpapers' strike rate with stories. The reputable ones like the Times, Telegraph and Guardian usually don't bother with idle gossip and rumour spreading and tend to report on facts as they actually unfold, whereas our old pal at the Sun and previously the Mirror makes a living out of spreading gossip and putting rumours about which 90% of the time don't happen.

Lord knows how he gets away with it with his record of success which is increasingly poor and that much of his efforts seem to be focused on Rovers, Bolton and Wigan, clubs where there can't be that much of a market for gossip, rather than the Premier League boys.

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

They are saying on loan which would be pointless for Boro. 

Harry Chapman is out of contract in the summer, so I can only imagine they have the option of him signing a new one and then loaning him out or finding a club now that will agree a loan with obligation to buy.

I read the story as meaning the exact opposite, didn't it say we were hoping to land him on an "initial" Loan.

Given the gaps in the squad I would have thought that would be the best signing of the window if it comes off. Pretty slapdash way to operate though for me sitting there on the last day of the window hoping you can pick someone up, but only if the parent Club complete their business first.

Still no sign of Brereton I see. Has he broken down on the side of the motorway or something? Someone give him a lift on the way past!

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

Might be in danger of being overly optimistic here, but I genuinely think that the capture of Bereton & Chapman (on sensible wages) would mean that, on paper at least, we've had an absolutely phenomenal window.

When you think of the issues facing the squad at the end of last season and some of the holes we've had to fill in terms of numbers & quality, the fact that we've managed to get the position of going into September with the amount of depth we now have is staggering, and a world away from where it seemed we would be even at the start of the window, let alone the state of the club pre-Mowbray. 

Along with securing new contracts for our top players, the potential of a team containing Armstrong, Dack, Chapman, Raya, Lenihan and Bereton is absolutely enormous in terms of both ability and if it comes to it, transfer fee. It seems basically a certainty that at least a couple of them will be top flight players before too long, and this is ignoring Travis, Davenport, Bell and certainly Nyambe, who all look like they could become very handy players at this level at the very least. The loan moves have both been for players who were amongst the best at their previous clubs, and even Rodwell, who clearly wouldn't be everyone's choice, has the potential to be a master-stroke if he comes with the right attitude. 

I'm still uneasy (and excited) about spending so much money on a teenager which could theoretically come back to bite us if he doesn't develop, but I don't think even the most optimistic Rovers fan would've considered our business this summer as fanciful.

Certainly beats scraping the barrel for Feeney, Greer and Stokes. 

If we did land Brereton and Chapman on binding deals that meant we could make them permanent then even I would concede it looks like a potentially good window assuming the majority perform.

The counter argument is that they're not here yet, the priority positions were two strikers two wingers and a centre back, and we've only added Armstrong out of those to date, we've overloaded massively on midfielders and have potentially added a bad apple into our midst in Rodwell.

Bit of work to do yet for me.

15 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Might be in danger of being overly optimistic here, but I genuinely think that the capture of Bereton & Chapman (on sensible wages) would mean that, on paper at least, we've had an absolutely phenomenal window.

When you think of the issues facing the squad at the end of last season and some of the holes we've had to fill in terms of numbers & quality, the fact that we've managed to get the position of going into September with the amount of depth we now have is staggering, and a world away from where it seemed we would be even at the start of the window, let alone the state of the club pre-Mowbray. 

Along with securing new contracts for our top players, the potential of a team containing Armstrong, Dack, Chapman, Raya, Lenihan and Bereton is absolutely enormous in terms of both ability and if it comes to it, transfer fee. It seems basically a certainty that at least a couple of them will be top flight players before too long, and this is ignoring Travis, Davenport, Bell and certainly Nyambe, who all look like they could become very handy players at this level at the very least. The loan moves have both been for players who were amongst the best at their previous clubs, and even Rodwell, who clearly wouldn't be everyone's choice, has the potential to be a master-stroke if he comes with the right attitude. 

I'm still uneasy (and excited) about spending so much money on a teenager which could theoretically come back to bite us if he doesn't develop, but I think even the most optimistic Rovers fan would've considered our business this summer as fanciful.

Certainly beats scraping the barrel for Feeney, Greer and Stokes. 

After an absolutely awful spell, it's not very hard loving Rovers again.

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If we did land Brereton and Chapman on binding deals that meant we could make them permanent then even I would concede it looks like a potentially good window assuming the majority perform.

The counter argument is that they're not here yet, the priority positions were two strikers two wingers and a centre back, and we've only added Armstrong out of those to date, we've overloaded massively on midfielders and have potentially added a bad apple into our midst in Rodwell.

Bit of work to do yet for me.

Fair enough, accept that "if" is doing a lot of heavy lifting until they actually sign.

Bereton at least is looking likely though, and whilst it might be a bit of a straw man to compare it to Coyle, I think the difference is absolutely amazing. With the odd exception, we were signing either players with next to no value, or loaning players with some value that we couldn't keep.

Don't want to keep looking at the squad purely in terms of assets & liabilities, obviously we're more bothered about what they do on the pitch rather than selling for profits. Even so, It felt like we were an empty vessel last time we were in this division, whereas now it seems like we've got more assets than we know what to do with.

Still have a long way to go, but the difference in two years really feels like the difference between night and day. 

Today is a good lesson in how one rumour on one website can spread like wildfire.

This morning the suggestion of Chapman coming back was little more than a distant fantasy among people. Then some 'journalist' at the Daily Mail decides to run with a 'story' about us wanting him back and here we are.

There might actually be some truth in it, who knows, but whether there is or not the story has now been retweeted, rehashed, repeated and passed on by so many people over the last couple of hours that all of a sudden everyone is talking about it when there's no evidence really that it is even a possibility. Isn't he still injured?

1 minute ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Fair enough, accept that "if" is doing a lot of heavy lifting until they actually sign.

Bereton at least is looking likely though, and whilst it might be a bit of a straw man to compare it to Coyle, I think the difference is absolutely amazing. With the odd exception, we were signing either players with next to no value, or loaning players with some value that we couldn't keep.

Don't want to keep looking at the squad purely in terms of assets & liabilities, obviously we're more bothered about what they do on the pitch rather than selling for profits. Even so, It felt like we were an empty vessel last time we were in this division, whereas now it seems like we've got more assets than we know what to do with.

Still have a long way to go, but the difference in two years really feels like the difference between night and day. 

Yes fair comment, Lambert started the process imo at a time when the squad needed a complete overhaul and long term strategic planning and things carried on in much the same vein when Coyle arrived.

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Today is a good lesson in how one rumour on one website can spread like wildfire.

This morning the suggestion of Chapman coming back was little more than a distant fantasy among people. Then some 'journalist' at the Daily Mail decides to run with a 'story' about us wanting him back and here we are.

There might actually be some truth in it, who knows, but whether there is or not the story has now been retweeted, rehashed, repeated and passed on by so many people over the last couple of hours that all of a sudden everyone is talking about it when there's no evidence really that it is even a possibility. Isn't he still injured?

I agree the Mail story is probably a load of old horlicks but hypothetically would it matter so much He's picked up a shoulder injury? (assuming it's not serious)

Rodwell is apparently some way away from fitness and He's here.

19 minutes ago, JHRover said:

And you are part of it!

:) 

Makes me wonder whether Dack is really injured or not (although he looked it to be fair). I have heard through grapevine that he is up in Court again next week.

Edited by AAK

2 minutes ago, AAK said:

Makes me wonder whether Dack is really injured or not. I have heard through grapevine that he is up in Court again next week.

He's posted various stuff on instagram where you can see him lying around with some sort of recovery strapping on his leg.

Not to say that isn't misdirection advised by the club, but it does seem very unlikely.

Just now, RoverKyle said:

He's posted various stuff on instagram where you can see him lying around with some sort of recovery strapping on his leg.

Not to say that isn't misdirection advised by the club, but it does seem very unlikely.

fair play mate, bet TM won't be happy with him though, probs come at right time the international week if so.

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Graham has played 90 minutes in a number of games this season. Armstrong will be back in a week or 2. We are about to sign Brereton

It seems you have a problem if Reed takes someones place or if he sits on the bench. Which is it?

I honestly think that if Mowbray gets us back to the Premier league, some fans will be on here pointing out that his record isn't that great as he signed Gladwin. 

Is there any need for this at all?

Needs to be a scope for healthy debate, in the main people are happy with our business but im fed up of people shutting others down who are raising valid points. Mowbrays recruitment isnt going to be perfect. 

Anyway, big question marks about Chapmans injury but he would at least be a direct winger that we desperately lack.

That would just leave a centre back in my opinion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Do you know what a proper centre forward/striker is, ie a player who can play with his back to goal and hold up the forward line ?

We only have one - Danny Graham 

Yes Jim, but has we have proven already we can play without Graham starting like Armstrong up front at Hull. And with Brereton who can play up front aswell. We have to adapt and play a different way like into feet and down the channels. 

But we do need Graham to be replace by the end of the season. 

4 hours ago, gazsimm said:

Bererton signing today surely? 

I would expect so. Wouldn't surprise if we get an announcement around 5pm or just before the game tonight

4 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

All the more need for at least one more striker to come in and in adding an unnecessary midfielder to the payroll puts another question mark over the Reed signing. 

Why is Reed an unnecessary midfielder? why does it put another question mark over the signing?

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Is there any need for this at all?

Needs to be a scope for healthy debate, in the main people are happy with our business but im fed up of people shutting others down who are raising valid points. Mowbrays recruitment isnt going to be perfect. 

Anyway, big question marks about Chapmans injury but he would at least be a direct winger that we desperately lack.

That would just leave a centre back in my opinion.

Need for what? I don't see anybody getting shut down. I just see some over sensitive types who don't like having their "valid points" dissected. 

At this stage, I would be happy with Chapman too, as he would give us something different.  However, I am around 80% sure that he is going to be consistently plagued by injury 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Need for what? I don't see anybody getting shut down. I just see some over sensitive types who don't like having their "valid points" dissected. 

At this stage, I would be happy with Chapman too, as he would give us something different.  I am just around 80% sure that he is going to be consistently plagued by injury 

Its not a valid dissection to make to make a sarcastic comment about people saying Gladwin would be mentioned if Mowbray achieved double promotion. Albeit that comment was tongue in cheek.

On Chapman. I agree. Not an ideal choice due to injury issues but ticks a box in terms of player types we need and we know his ability.

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its not a valid dissection to make to make a sarcastic comment about people saying Gladwin would be mentioned if Mowbray achieved double promotion. Albeit that comment was tongue in cheek.

On Chapman. I agree. Not an ideal choice due to injury issues but ticks a box in terms of player types we need and we know his ability.

Yes, it was tongue in cheek obviously, so stop giving out to me :) 

I would prefer having Chapman on the bench than a number who are currently occupying places. With the squad we have, I just could never see him nailing down a starting place though. Still, that thing he has gets people up off their seats. It's kind of interesting though that Pulis played him in pre-season, he scored and got a few assists ,but Pulis still thought "nah, not for me". Anyway, their loss could be our gain. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

26 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

The Harry Chapman story has weight behind it.
Middleborough are trying to sign George Saville from Millwall, which will free up Chapman to come to Rovers on loan with a view apparently.

That Saville looked really good when we played Millwall.