BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

13 minutes ago, deryck guyler's spoon said:

I'm as excited as the next man about the surprise largesse of our poultry overloads but I'm a little concerned about our bloated squad and associated wage bill. We seem to be at the whim of  the Rao business ventures and their fluctuating fortunes so what if the arse falls out of the Indian chicken stock market?. The league looks very dimly on clubs that don't pay wages or honour contracts. 

Thought general consensus on here was we didn't have enough players or sign enough before the completely arbitrary first window closed.

Now we have a bloated squad? 

57 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Is it not incredibly arrogant to use the line "those with a deeper football knowledge or who play the game?"

Your line about his goals winning games/points is baffling. He was hardly scoring the 4th in 4-0 wins, we was a team outside the play offs therefore our games were rarely seperated by more than a goal. To suggest hes a flat track bully scoring goals in games wed already won to get his goal tally up is nonsensical.

Not convinced by all your quotes regarding the opinions of coaching staff etc. How do you know these? Who said the line about Defoe? As much as his all round game aside from his goals wasnt brilliant, it is also being done a disservice to suggest that it was non-league standard.

Back to the point, if Brereton is as successful and prolific consistently as Rhodes was. Weve got a hell of a signing on our hands.

It’s true that most people ‘think’ they know how football works because they love the game. But in actual fact, if you do not have that deeper understanding or experience then you are unlikely to really understand. Just like any other industry. Just because something is difficult for you to hear, doesn’t make it wrong or arrogant. 

It’s no big deal if you don’t believe me re the Rhodes quotes mate. You believe what you like. For those who were posting back then on here they will remember that I actually said most of this before we even sold him. Most of which was corroborated afterwards. But Rhodes career has since confirmed those opinions. Direct quotes insinuating the same stuff from international managers as well as club managers etc. 

Pretty sure I didn’t call him a flag track bully either. He’d have to be quick, strong and tenacious for that...anyway, rumours anyone?

Edited by Paul Mani

5 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Thought general consensus on here was we didn't have enough players or sign enough before the completely arbitrary first window closed.

Now we have a bloated squad? 

We have Caddis, Whittingham, Hart and Gladwin along with potentially, Nuttall and Samuel who aren't realistically going to feature. We now also have a small army of central midfielders and all of these need paying. The wages going to the aforementioned players is cash going down the gurgler which pains me to see. I'm not trying to rain on the parade but I fret a bit about the attitude of the owners to paying the wage bill should the rest of the Rao empire have to tighten their belts in the event of a downturn. I wonder if it might be prudent to offer pay offs to the likes of  Caddis, Whittingham, Hart and Gladwin whilst we have the money and render them free agents. The fact that disaffected players would be off the books might be an added bonus.

The window is starting to look a lot better now with Brereton and Reed through the door.

I still think we need a pacey winger as a minimum especially now that Samual is injured. It's something we don't have in the squad.

Looks like Brereton is going to play as the wide left attacker mostly. We've got a lot of options now with Rothwell and Palmer both starting off well too.

7 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

The window is starting to look a lot better now with Brereton and Reed through the door.

I still think we need a pacey winger as a minimum especially now that Samual is injured. It's something we don't have in the squad.

Looks like Brereton is going to play as the wide left attacker mostly. We've got a lot of options now with Rothwell and Palmer both starting off well too.

Where do you get the impression that he will be played wide mostly?

Listened to Mowbrays interview last night and he said Brereton considers himself a number 9, albeit he did also mention Armstrong and using strikers wide to counter certain weaknesses, often reluctantly.

Forest fans seem pretty unanimous that one of the primary reasons for his loss of form was due to being played wide. I hope hes being signed primarily as a 9. 

• Like 3

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Where do you get the impression that he will be played wide mostly?

Listened to Mowbrays interview last night and he said Brereton considers himself a number 9, albeit he did also mention Armstrong and using strikers wide to counter certain weaknesses, often reluctantly.

Forest fans seem pretty unanimous that one of the primary reasons for his loss of form was due to being played wide. I hope hes being signed primarily as a 9. 

Bolton fans said that about Armstrong too when he was there. Came to Rovers, played primarily out wide and banged 10 goals in. I suppose it's about how you are played as opposed to where you play.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Would be gutted to see Caddis leave now, he's my new favourite player - can do a job as 3rd choice. 

He probably only works cash in hand £150 day rate too so not like he's doing any harm.

Only trains 3 days per week though, as he does the bins Tuesday and Thursdays.

• Like 6

Just now, Mattyblue said:

End of the day, Gladwin, Whitts, Caddis, Hart will be out of contract at the end of the season, so it’s not like the days of old in which clowns like Leon Best were given 5 year deals on 40k a week or whatever it was...

I dont get the Whittingham situation. Overall, with Evans, Reed, Bennett, Smallwood and Davenport I can understand why hes become surplus to requirements.

That said, he certainly has more ability than the likes of Hart and Caddis who have been used in squads recently at a time where we are lacking numbers. 

From what I could gauge pre joining us he seems to be quite a shy and quiet character so id be surprised if hes a bad influence either. Maybe hes injured?

I echo others in that we need a leaner squad ideally, and he, Hart, Caddis and Gladwin all out on loan would reduce the squad size without impacting the team at all, whilst the likes of Nuttall, Travis and Tomlinson need regular football elsewhere temporarily to ensure they dont stagnate.

59 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

It’s true that most people ‘think’ they know how football works because they love the game. But in actual fact, if you do not have that deeper understanding or experience then you are unlikely to really understand. Just like any other industry. Just because something is difficult for you to hear, doesn’t make it wrong or arrogant. 

It’s no big deal if you don’t believe me re the Rhodes quotes mate. You believe what you like. For those who were posting back then on here they will remember that I actually said most of this before we even sold him. Most of which was corroborated afterwards. But Rhodes career has since confirmed those opinions. Direct quotes insinuating the same stuff from international managers as well as club managers etc. 

Pretty sure I didn’t call him a flag track bully either. He’d have to be quick, strong and tenacious for that...anyway, rumours anyone?

I agree, I first started watching Rugby League after I broke my leg playing football and just watching football was doing my head in. I've never played Rugby League but I've watched it for years. Season ticket holder etc. I still don't know the finer points of the game, why players do certain things, the deeper tactical side of the game. Now and again I have a chat with one of the coaches and their insights are way beyond my understanding.

It definitely helps if you've played in a team at a good level.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

48 minutes ago, deryck guyler's spoon said:

We have Caddis, Whittingham, Hart and Gladwin along with potentially, Nuttall and Samuel who aren't realistically going to feature. We now also have a small army of central midfielders and all of these need paying. The wages going to the aforementioned players is cash going down the gurgler which pains me to see. I'm not trying to rain on the parade but I fret a bit about the attitude of the owners to paying the wage bill should the rest of the Rao empire have to tighten their belts in the event of a downturn. I wonder if it might be prudent to offer pay offs to the likes of  Caddis, Whittingham, Hart and Gladwin whilst we have the money and render them free agents. The fact that disaffected players would be off the books might be an added bonus.

I detest clubs paying players off and surely Rovers have done enough of that under Venkys tenure so no loan the buggers out and make them earn a bit of their corn. Failing that most don't have long to go so keep them around till then and make them train with the kids and offer them the benefit of their experience so we might get a tiny bit of something out of them for their wages.

1 hour ago, markhayhurst said:

Goal keeper loan needed. Imagine Raya injured eeeek not a great thought.

Still think we are light at CB as well. God forbid Leninhan or Mulgrew pick up injuries. But hey... Not like they have a record of season ending injuries is it? ?

Edited by RovingRover
  • Like 2

No doubt that Bereton is a risk at 6 Million, its a lot of money for us especially when looking at our financial outlay on players over the past couple of years.  But I personally think he has the attributes to be a class signing for us and can replace DG as the first choice striker. He's 6'3 and has got pace to burn, which are attributes which are rarely both possessed by a striker. Its also worth noting that he has only just turned 19, plenty of time to develop into a top class striker and under the Guidance of TM and players such as Danny Graham I think he will do that. Along with that he is clearly a player who fits TM philosophy of working hard for the team.

The challenge for him will be if he can have an immediate impact on the team now, part of me would actually like to see him start on sunday.

1 minute ago, TruRover said:

No doubt that Bereton is a risk at 6 Million, its a lot of money for us especially when looking at our financial outlay on players over the past couple of years.  But I personally think he has the attributes to be a class signing for us and can replace DG as the first choice striker. He's 6'3 and has got pace to burn, which are attributes which are rarely both possessed by a striker. Its also worth noting that he has only just turned 19, plenty of time to develop into a top class striker and under the Guidance of TM and players such as Danny Graham I think he will do that. Along with that he is clearly a player who fits TM philosophy of working hard for the team.

The challenge for him will be if he can have an immediate impact on the team now, part of me would actually like to see him start on sunday.

Depending on fitness and availibilty he may have to play from the start on Sunday. In an ideal world he'd come on for Graham after an hour or so but if Armstrong doesn't make it he'll have to start.