BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

22 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

I'm pretty sure Pulis had Puncheon for luncheon at Palace. If that deal comes off, I'm sure Chapman knows he'd get far more game time with us than up at 'Boro. I reckon he'd also love to come back. A loan deal would be no skin off anyone's back.

Remember Mowbray saying that Chapman was ‘desperate’ to come back at the start of the window

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why was he never likely to be good enough? He was at the Man U academy first, then the Liverpool one. He must have had something about him. 

I see no reason why, if he is doing well, that we couldn't sign him to an extension at some point this season 

Honestly pal. In 26 years of watching rovers at all levels I can't remember a player so out of his depth. He will never wear a Rovers shirt again because he is not good enough.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Honestly pal. In 26 years of watching rovers at all levels I can't remember a player so out of his depth. He will never wear a Rovers shirt again because he is not good enough.

Edinho Junior says hello. 

Though I don't disagree with your last sentence.

• Like 1

Goes without saying that Dack cannot be sold, and if Brereton is worth 7m and is relatively unproven, god knows how much Dack is worth.

Vela is a very average player too. Doubt theres any truth in either of those rumours at all.

In terms of our squad depth, looking at it with 24 hours to go:

GK: Raya, Leutwiler - Certainly not one of our strongest positions, the former needs to cut out mistakes quickly. 

RB: Nyambe, Reed, Bennett - Not ideal to have one natural RB, but Bennett played arguably his best football there last season and apparently Reed had a very impressive loan spell there himself last season at Norwich. Problem comes if we need either elsewhere.

CB: Mulgrew, Lenihan, Downing - 2 very good centre backs, an obvious weakness beyond. Downing ok as 4th choice. 

LB: Bell, Williams - Fine, in that order for now.

CM: Evans, Reed, Bennett, Smallwood, Davenport, Rodwell - Much more depth here than last season, but Evans and Rodwell are prone to injury and Reed and Bennett will be needed elsewhere at times

Attacking Midfield: Dack, Palmer, Rothwell, Armstrong, Conway, Bennett - The first 4 has plenty of entertainment and flair in it, the latter 2 experienced heads but I wouldnt like to see them in the front 4 too often, in Bennetts case, further back. A pacy winger would top that group off nicely.

Striker: Graham, Brereton, Armstrong, Samuel - Good options here.

2 players needed, a pacy winger and a centre back and its a well balanced squad. Hopefully trim the fat by loaning the ones listed below out, giving us a leaner squad.

Loan out: Travis, Nuttall, Tomlinson

Unneeded: Gladwin, Whittingham, Caddis

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Good God you should have seen some of the shite we had in the late sixties and early seventies. Young Hart would have looked a worldbeater. No offence but you may have been spoilt a bit by Jack!

Edited by ossyian
Wrong

9 minutes ago, ossyian said:

Good God you should have seen some of the shite we had in the late sixties and early seventies. Young Hart would have looked a worldbeater. No offence but you may have been spoilt a bit by Jack!

Not even that far back - I saw Paul McKinnon - that was the nadir surely?

44 minutes ago, ossyian said:

Maybe so but it doesn't divert away from the point I was making which is Sam Hart isnt good enough to play for rovers and anyone who has seen him play isn't jumping to his defense

47 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

GK: Raya, Leutwiler - Certainly not one of our strongest positions, the former needs to cut out mistakes quickly. -- Disagree personally. If we lose Raya for the season, we are only as good as a League One goalkeeper who has never been higher than midtable. Personally I would feel massively reassured with a backup keeper coming in with Fisher going out on loan.

RB: Nyambe, Reed, Bennett - Not ideal to have one natural RB, but Bennett played arguably his best football there last season and apparently Reed had a very impressive loan spell there himself last season at Norwich. Problem comes if we need either elsewhere. -- Williams?

CB: Mulgrew, Lenihan, Downing - 2 very good centre backs, an obvious weakness beyond. Downing ok as 4th choice. -- For me one excellent CB, one very good CB and one good CB. Still think we need a Excellent CB to challenge the top two and backup if injuries become an issue. January maybe? Rodwell?

LB: Bell, Williams - Fine, in that order for now. -- Williams can play on both sides. Bell needs to nail down the LB berth, or we might have to revisit LB position in January.

CM: Evans, Reed, Bennett, Smallwood, Davenport, Rodwell - Much more depth here than last season, but Evans and Rodwell are prone to injury and Reed and Bennett will be needed elsewhere at times.

Attacking Midfield: Dack, Palmer, Rothwell, Armstrong, Conway, Bennett - The first 4 has plenty of entertainment and flair in it, the latter 2 experienced heads but I wouldnt like to see them in the front 4 too often, in Bennetts case, further back. A pacy winger would top that group off nicely.  -- Is Rothwell adequate enough to step in for Dack should he be injured? I agree with you on pace on the wing... But think Mowbray prefers players carving in from the wing centrally.

Striker: Graham, Brereton, Armstrong, Samuel - Good options here. -- Agreed. Although rather depends on Samuel's injury.

2 players needed, a pacy winger and a centre back and its a well balanced squad. Hopefully trim the fat by loaning the ones listed below out, giving us a leaner squad. -- Think a goalkeeper is more important than a pacey winger right now.

Loan out: Travis, Nuttall, Tomlinson -- Add Fisher (if we can get in an experienced backup) and Butterworth (needs competitive experience)

Unneeded: Gladwin, Whittingham, Caddis -- Add Hart at end of loan.

• Like 1

@RovingRover presume at this moment that Mulgrew is the excellent CB, Lenihan very good with the potential to join him under that bracket?

No way can Rodwell be considered serious back up at centre back. Theres already a massive implied gamble in his signing, so we cant consider him automatic adequate back up in a position hes not played in senior football. Not having a go at you btw, just a general point.

Williams has never played right back.

Even if the aim is to mainly have wide players cutting in, sometimes a player who can stretch teams will be a crucial option, very few teams in the league dont have a natural winger amidst their ranks.

And our primary back up to Dack has to be Kasey Palmer. He is a number 10, the only reason he should be accommodated in a wide role is to get him and Dack in the team together.

Don't necessarily disagree with your point about signing a keeper but its a difficult position to fill. Stockdale and Westwood are 2 experienced keepers that arent getting game time but I am not sure why.

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

@RovingRover presume at this moment that Mulgrew is the excellent CB, Lenihan very good with the potential to join him under that bracket?

No way can Rodwell be considered serious back up at centre back. Theres already a massive implied gamble in his signing, so we cant consider him automatic adequate back up in a position hes not played in senior football. Not having a go at you btw, just a general point.

Williams has never played right back.

Even if the aim is to mainly have wide players cutting in, sometimes a player who can stretch teams will be a crucial option, very few teams in the league dont have a natural winger amidst their ranks.

And our primary back up to Dack has to be Kasey Palmer. He is a number 10, the only reason he should be accommodated in a wide role is to get him and Dack in the team together.

Don't necessarily disagree with your point about signing a keeper but its a difficult position to fill. Stockdale and Westwood are 2 experienced keepers that arent getting game time but I am not sure why.

Westwood reckons he’s the dogs bollocks and wants to move, his agent put out rumours of him joining Man City and the like.

The owners obviously batty and won’t let him, but also rumours that another appearance puts him on an improved contract or bonus they can’t afford. Venky’s of the sea.

Not sure we’ve seen enough of the Canadian to write him off personally, and has looked tidy enough for me as a rare backup till Jan if we have to.

CB another story.

Also as an aside, can we start mixing things up a bit?

If some people take “quick”, some “nippy” and some “fast” that would be fantastic...

The term “pacey winger” has lost all meaning I’ve read it so much!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Maybe so but it doesn't divert away from the point I was making which is Sam Hart isnt good enough to play for rovers and anyone who has seen him play isn't jumping to his defense

Oh don't take every post so seriously! Think yourself lucky you never saw little fat John Barton in goal and John Coddington at left back! World beaters we were!