BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

No one is saying theyd rather spend it on an over paid player on daft wages, so thats not a viable argument.

Some people are arguing that they would rather spread the cost over 2 or 3 players to improve, seeing as we are light at centre back, out wide and in central midfield too.

There are also questions as to the quality of Brereton in terms of what he can offer now, or whether we are just paying solely for potential.

Add to that the role that he plays and there are a few questions to ask, assuming you dont have tunnel vision of course.

I find your insistence on his talent a bit odd being based on a video, but each to their own.

That is viable argument cos people have mention Martin and Gestede who are on big wages. Secondly we don't know who Mowbray is after or his budget either. 

There is question about the quality Brereton in terms what he can offer now? Really? 

Look at today team and Armstrong is up front and Graham on bench so we are going to have to play differently and what do you mean about the role he plays? 

My insistence isn't based on a video but seeing him play live a couple of times and seeing the potential/talent of him

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Out of interest if £8million was enough to purchase McGinn, Maddison, Chapman and Bauer.  Would you take those four or just Brereton?

No cos you having address the striker options. WE would still need a striker in. 

Don't know why we need 2 wingers when we got Bennett, Conway and Palmer. 

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

I'd like a wide player as well  but Mowbray doesn't really seem very keen on natural wide men. In central midfield Davenport is injured, Smallwood has been playing poorly for months now, Evans is Evans, Travis is still raw and you can write of Whittingham and Gladwin. I'd like a dominant experienced body brought into the midfield as at the moment  we are very lightweight in there.

fair enough. Disagree but You make a good case. Maybe Trapp is coming in January. I don't know the player or his role

Mentioned before that i thought the charlton loan signing was in addition to, and not instead of Bauer. They both start for Charlton today, imagine there’s no deal anywhere near there.

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Brereton not in the Forest squad.

That said, his pre-season was delayed due to playing for England youth teams and he is 4th choice behind Grabban, Murphy and Soudani so no surprise.

£8m for Forest’s fourth choice striker. A club who haven’t been in the PL for 20 years.

Sounds ridiculous!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

Would you pay £8 Million for Brereton if it meant we had no funds to bring anyone else in during this window? 

No sign at all of this and fees are pay over a number of years

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Brereton not in the Forest squad.

That said, his pre-season was delayed due to playing for England youth teams and he is 4th choice behind Grabban, Murphy and Soudani so no surprise.

or the fact Karanka doesn't play young players

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

That is viable argument cos people have mention Martin and Gestede who are on big wages. Secondly we don't know who Mowbray is after or his budget either. 

There is question about the quality Brereton in terms what he can offer now? Really? 

Look at today team and Armstrong is up front and Graham on bench so we are going to have to play differently and what do you mean about the role he plays? 

My insistence isn't based on a video but seeing him play live a couple of times and seeing the potential/talent of him

No cos you having address the striker options. WE would still need a striker in. 

Don't know why we need 2 wingers when we got Bennett, Conway and Palmer. 

fair enough. Disagree but You make a good case. Maybe Trapp is coming in January. I don't know the player or his role

You were suggesting Chris Martin the other day! You've also said many times before that you wanted a target man type striker, even recommending lumps like Matt Smith, now we are seemingly strongly interested in someone else, them thoughts have gone. 

The point is, people think we can sign 2 or 3 players for such a large amount of money, and its a valid point. Obviously signing talentless, lazy, overpriced players isnt what anyone wants so its childish to suggest that its the only alternative to Brereton.

Yes, based on his goal record, the fact that Forest fans have suggested that he isnt a lone striker at the moment, and weve got enough players that are central but can play wide in Armstrong, Palmer and Rothwell. I feel like we need a proper focal point and a wide man, and I don't think he is either. We'd be paying a lot based on potential. 

He looks a talent, but I am not convinced that he would be a guaranteed starter, based on his record to date, and he would need to be to justify such a fee. I wouldnt be necessarily against him signing either, he would be an exciting addition, but it possibly would be more prudent to split that sort of money across 2 or 3 players.

Role, in that hes not a target man who plays with his back to goal, which we need. We have Armstrong to play the role he is playing today, to get in behind. I''d like a targetman in an ideal world.

You can take such a strong opinion on a couple of games live?

And Karanka is under big pressure to get promotion this season, so its understandable that he doesnt think a player who doesnt get into double figures in terms of goals is the man to fire them there. He has players like Carvalho, Dias and Cash in the first team, but he also has Grabban ahead of Brereton, who will get far more goals.

Edited by roversfan99

19 minutes ago, Stuart said:

£8m for Forest’s fourth choice striker. A club who haven’t been in the PL for 20 years.

Sounds ridiculous!

You're not buying their 4th choice striker - it's an investment. Forest are convinced he will become a top end Premier League striker, but don't have the time to currently develop him as he isn't first choice. He can come here and realistically become first choice and be sold for more. It's a gamble.

27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

or the fact Karanka doesn't play young players

He's starting two 21 year olds today and has another on the bench. He brought Bamford at Boro as a 21 year old and he was Championship player of the season that year and Gibson was also a young player when he went to Boro who he played regularly. So it's not a fact that Karanka doesn't play youngsters.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, J*B said:

You're not buying their 4th choice striker - it's an investment. Forest are convinced he will become a top end Premier League striker, but don't have the time to currently develop him as he isn't first choice. He can come here and realistically become first choice and be sold for more. It's a gamble.

You are, at the moment.

17 minutes ago, J*B said:

If they can’t fit him in or develop him then they can’t command £8m sorry.

Has to be a low initial fee, some add-ons and a sell-on.

Talk about having your cake and eating it too!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You were suggesting Chris Martin the other day! You've also said many times before that you wanted a target man type striker, even recommending lumps like Matt Smith, now we are seemingly strongly interested in someone else, them thoughts have gone. 

The point is, people think we can sign 2 or 3 players for such a large amount of money, and its a valid point. Obviously signing talentless, lazy, overpriced players isnt what anyone wants so its childish to suggest that its the only alternative to Brereton.

Yes, based on his goal record, the fact that Forest fans have suggested that he isnt a lone striker at the moment, and weve got enough players that are central but can play wide in Armstrong, Palmer and Rothwell. I feel like we need a proper focal point and a wide man, and I don't think he is either. We'd be paying a lot based on potential. 

He looks a talent, but I am not convinced that he would be a guaranteed starter, based on his record to date, and he would need to be to justify such a fee. I wouldnt be necessarily against him signing either, he would be an exciting addition, but it possibly would be more prudent to split that sort of money across 2 or 3 players.

Role, in that hes not a target man who plays with his back to goal, which we need. We have Armstrong to play the role he is playing today, to get in behind. I''d like a targetman in an ideal world.

You can take such a strong opinion on a couple of games live?

And Karanka is under big pressure to get promotion this season, so its understandable that he doesnt think a player who doesnt get into double figures in terms of goals is the man to fire them there. He has players like Carvalho, Dias and Cash in the first team, but he also has Grabban ahead of Brereton, who will get far more goals.

Yes I did Suggest Martin but his wages are big. Matt Smith would be a decent shout as Graham is going to have to replace at some point probably end of this season. 

I have already accept the signing 2 or 3 players point earlier. 

I have already discuss the role he would play and the way we would play with Brereton. similar to today. listening to the Rovers Hull game so far, sounds like Armstrong getting in behind their defence and we playing to his strength. On his record, Would depends how many games he played wide during his spell. Yes he not a target man type but you can play different way with your main striker. I can understand your point about wanting a target man type but I feel we are more than capable to adapt and play without Graham. Yes Graham will be needed at times.

Yes.  

3 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

He's starting two 21 year olds today and has another on the bench. He brought Bamford at Boro as a 21 year old and he was Championship player of the season that year and Gibson was also a young player when he went to Boro who he played regularly. So it's not a fact that Karanka doesn't play youngsters.

fair enough. 

20 hours ago, Heinz said:

News doing the rounds we have again made an improved offer for Ben Brereton. From 6m earlier this week to 8m now.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/2998074/blackburn-make-improved-8m-offer-for-ben-brereton-after-nottingham-forest-rejected-6m/

thats a hell of a lot of money if you ask me for an unproven player at this level.

I agree, too much.

The history of football is littered with boy wonders who just never developed. Big clubs have splashed out for them with very mixed results. Some times you get a gem, sometimes you waste your money. We had a couple years ago with Jimmy Corbett and Simon Ireland. Did either of them ever play for our first team ?

We aren't a big club anymore and we can't afford to gamble. If Venkys  have broken the piggy bank two of three top class championship players would do us more good than a speculative signing. You'd think that one of those two or three would be a success.

• Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If he's better than them, why not ?  Follow that template and we're limiting our options a lot.

I agree. You have to progress as a club. If Dack does well in the league this year (which he is) then he'll end up being rewarded financially to the same as a McGinn or whoever that makes more as he'll have proven he deserves it. 

19 hours ago, bboy said:

it's all strange.

it feels like a luxury buy from a team who already has it all not a buy from someone who's biggest buy has been 750k for the last 3-4 years.

My only knowledge of the player is buying him on fifa this year, did very well though ?.

I don't think anyone would be upset for him to sign, he's clearly a prospect, who'd have to fail miserably for us not to at least recoup our outlay. But the opportunity cost of buying him would rightly annoy many. we could buy 4 first team players for the cash.

Or are venky starting something and is this a start of a big project where we will be spending like this every window (unlikely) 

I can only guess that during their meeting Tony sold himself and his long term vision for their baby very well.  Venkys seem to have bought into it and are seemingly backing his project.