Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I'm not sure this really takes us any further than we already were. If the idea is he's cover for CB and CM then ok but can't see him being up to speed for some time yet unless he's really taken care of himself since leaving Sunderland. 

I'm not opposed to the deal on the basis it is a low risk see how it pans out sort of deal and could work out well but I certainly won't be very happy if this is one of the so-called exciting quality signings we were being told to expect. 

Once again easy to get the cheap short term low risk deals done but not so easy to actually get money spent on quality ready to go players.

Much more to do yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tom said:

Happy with the deal personally, he has talent, Tony said it was a cheap deal and he can go at the end of the season if it doesn’t work.

win win for me 

Maybe he can keep Gladwin company on the treatment table ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roswell has to depose one of Mulgrove and Lenihan to get a starting place.

If he gets back to anything like his prime, he is the only player good enough to do that available in this loan widow.

Makes this signing a one way upside bet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there are many that have came out of the last 4 years at Sunderland with any credit. Bit of a career graveyard. 

If, as Tony says, we will be seeing something a lot more exciting than a free agent in the next week, I will be happier with Rodwell in and around the squad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm not sure this really takes us any further than we already were. If the idea is he's cover for CB and CM then ok but can't see him being up to speed for some time yet unless he's really taken care of himself since leaving Sunderland. 

I'm not opposed to the deal on the basis it is a low risk see how it pans out sort of deal and could work out well but I certainly won't be very happy if this is one of the so-called exciting quality signings we were being told to expect. 

Once again easy to get the cheap short term low risk deals done but not so easy to actually get money spent on quality ready to go players.

Much more to do yet.

He played 3 matches for Watford pre season and passed a medical was set to sign only for one of the Watford players who was set to be sold did a u-turn and signed a new contract.Been training with Everton since

 

Edited by islander200

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tom said:

Happy with the deal personally, he has talent, Tony said it was a cheap deal and he can go at the end of the season if it doesn’t work.

win win for me 

I agree. Whatever your view on Mowbray - I’m a big fan admittedly - he seems to be a realist. I assume he has spoken to the player and various other contacts he has and decided it’s worth a try.

Feels low risk to me, with a small chance - worth taking - that we get someone intent on trying to re-prove himself and undoubtedly with natural talent. At the least some useful cover. If there is an inkling of him upsetting the strong team dynamic, I’d assume he will be binned quite quickly. 

In my view, Mowbray has earnt trust by building a team of players that is as cohesive as it’s been for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AdamRochina said:

We gonna sign the ssecond player too? 😇

not today according to Rich Sharpe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, islander200 said:

He played 3 matches for Watford pre season and passed a medical was set to sign only for one of the Watford players who was set to be sold did a u-turn and signed a new contract.Been training with Everton since

 

This is a bit more encouraging at least.

ws he playing Centre mid or centre back?

Everyone seems to be pegging him as a cb now, I never known him to play there.

I’ll ll give him a chance but he’s got it all to do as far as I am concerned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, neophox said:

Well Antonsson has scored in Europa League tonight! Another striker we could Do with at he moment.

Leave it out, most fans couldn't wait to see the back of him. Let's not pretend he's the dogs bollocks all of a sudden because it suits the negative agenda that so many on here subscribe to lately 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, islander200 said:

No ability?He has had 2 multi million pound transfers and played for his country.Been shit for time but he does have ability unless the injuries have him ruined.

He will be coming in on a very cheap deal if it doesn't work out then he will be gone. 

It's Sharp who said about him playing cb after speaking with TM.

innit bruv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, davulsukur said:

This is a bit more encouraging at least.

ws he playing Centre mid or centre back?

Everyone seems to be pegging him as a cb now, I never known him to play there.

I’ll ll give him a chance but he’s got it all to do as far as I am concerned.

It was a midfielder that signed the new contract so presume he was playing midfield.

It's a low risk signing , short term contract and cheap deal not one to get excited about but you never know he may come good.

Bit annoyed we were told two signings in today though and it's only Rodwell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I said my opinion would depend on the length of contract - so just for this season on cheap wages, it is not a bad deal. Former England international, Premier League winner (not sure on that but thats what it says on Rovers homepage), still only 27. Admittedly he has had some well-documented problems at Sunderland but if anyone can get him on the right path its TM.

Sunderland fans are laughing at us in much the same we did over Steele but it would be hilarious if Rodwell did buck his ideas up and we sold him for 5+ million in a season or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5280715/amp/Sunderland-outcast-Jack-Rodwell-insists-hes-not-blame.html

reading the above article sheds abit more light on the Sunderland saga. Interesting to read the part where he sees himself more as a centre half, 

Personally I think it’s a calculated gamble , he won’t be on big money because at the moment nobody will touch him given the bad press he has got at Sunderland. It’s a low risk deal for us and Rodwell will see it as chance to rebuild his career. I trust TM to ensure he’s not a bad egg 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Tom said:

Happy with the deal personally, he has talent, Tony said it was a cheap deal and he can go at the end of the season if it doesn’t work.

win win for me 

I think you may be stretching the definition of 'win win'. He might stink the place out for the next 12 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JayDee said:

Leave it out, most fans couldn't wait to see the back of him. Let's not pretend he's the dogs bollocks all of a sudden because it suits the negative agenda that so many on here subscribe to lately 

A bit harsh. He did a job for us last year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Desperation signing.

There’s no doubt it’s desperation but at least it’s relatively low cost and low risk. My main concern is he physically and mentally still capabale of playing at a fairly high level?

I guess time will tell. I can’t believe he is only 27, thought he must be in his early 30s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, tugay5 said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5280715/amp/Sunderland-outcast-Jack-Rodwell-insists-hes-not-blame.html

reading the above article sheds abit more light on the Sunderland saga. Interesting to read the part where he sees himself more as a centre half, 

Personally I think it’s a calculated gamble , he won’t be on big money because at the moment nobody will touch him given the bad press he has got at Sunderland. It’s a low risk deal for us and Rodwell will see it as chance to rebuild his career. I trust TM to ensure he’s not a bad egg 

 

Good article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a good record of resurrecting players careers, the team has a good bond at the minute it should be a good environment for a player to to get their confidence back. 

Rodwell was excellent before Sunderland ruined him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tugay5 said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5280715/amp/Sunderland-outcast-Jack-Rodwell-insists-hes-not-blame.html

reading the above article sheds abit more light on the Sunderland saga. Interesting to read the part where he sees himself more as a centre half, 

Personally I think it’s a calculated gamble , he won’t be on big money because at the moment nobody will touch him given the bad press he has got at Sunderland. It’s a low risk deal for us and Rodwell will see it as chance to rebuild his career. I trust TM to ensure he’s not a bad egg 

 

Surely interesting reading. 

I would say who in their right mind is going to allow the club to rip up their multi-million pound contract? They gave him that contract, they forgot to put a relegation clause in the contract. I certainly wouldn't throw that money away.

The refusing to play aspect of this drama is what i do not know much about. Was this true that he refused to play or did they just stick him in the reserves to rot because he wouldnt rip up his contract?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Good article

It was only when I was fast-tracked into the first team, they put me in midfield, it was a bit safer,' he says. 'I do wonder, "What if?" If I'd just said, "I'm a centre back", where would I be now?

'The game has changed a lot. Centre backs now are ball-playing and a lot of midfielders drop in there. I know the position. I'm big enough, I'm quick enough, I'm good in the air. I've got the tools.'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.