BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Lancashire Clubs - Round Up

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Scousers don't consider themselves as Lancastrians on the whole. They much prefer the term Merseysiders. I have a very good friend from Liverpool who I asked about this and he just shrugged it off as them being unique or some other nonsense. I pointed out that Lancashire CCC play at Aigburth. I just think they see themselves as different and that is  how they like it. Also I don't think they want any connection with Manchester. 

Southport is a strange one. They have a PR postcode yet are officially in Merseyside and are policed by Merseyside.

Greater Manchester is in my opinion still Lancashire. Merseyside isn't.

There’s no difference, both are currently placed in metropolitan counties, both are still part of the historic county of Lancashire.

My take on Merseyside is that it fits well with that particularly unique Scouse identity, something both Liverpool and Everton fans can use etc and it came into its own with the social issues the region had in the 80s. Also Merseyside was made a postal county whilst Greater Manchester never was.

Alternatively towns like Wigan, Bolton etc are pure Lancashire towns in culture.

The boundaries need sorting out at some point. Humberside, Avon, Cleveland, the other made up counties of the 70s have all been scrapped, so here’s hoping...

Edited by Mattyblue

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 16:43, CP Company Lad said:

Scousers don't consider themselves as Lancastrians on the whole. They much prefer the term Merseysiders. I have a very good friend from Liverpool who I asked about this and he just shrugged it off as them being unique or some other nonsense. I pointed out that Lancashire CCC play at Aigburth. I just think they see themselves as different and that is  how they like it. Also I don't think they want any connection with Manchester. 

Southport is a strange one. They have a PR postcode yet are officially in Merseyside and are policed by Merseyside.

Greater Manchester is in my opinion still Lancashire. Merseyside isn't.

Lots of St Helens folk consider themselves Lancastrians and I think it's where the Friends of Real Lancashire (FORL) originated as well a the Lancashire Hotpots!  

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Not with the young ‘uns though I find, plus the Scouse accent seems to be perturding further and further north. The Johnny Vegas St Helenser is a dying breed...

Yuck. Much like East Lancashire youth affecting the Mancunian accent.

Talking to a lad from Warrington recently, thought he was Scouse until he told me.

Southport and Ormskirk are the same. Was watching a WW1 documentary the other day, they were interviewing an owd Tommy from Ormskirk, he had a pure Lancastrian accent, they certainly don’t sound like that now!

I was at school in Ormskirk in the 60s and Matty's right - the accent was pure West Lancs. Exactly like me in fact as a farmer's lad except the grammar school knocked all the edges off mine. Now scouse is the dominant voice you'll hear and the town is pronounced differently - you never used to hear the first R in it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Crunch for Accy.

Next 3 games are Wimbledon, Rochdale and Walsall- avoid defeats and they should be OK despite facing Luton, Doncaster, Plymouth and Portsmouth in the last four.

Ideally they need a couple of wins before season end. Congestion at the bottom should save them if they get to 50 points.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Chorley beat Stockport 2-0 yesterday. Billed as a 'promotion decider' it means Chorley are now 2 pts clear of Stockport with 2 games left. Chorley have the superior goal difference too so a win and a draw should do it. Chorley will be promoted to the Conference. 

P W D L F A +/- Pts
1 Chorley 40 23 9 8 80 38 +42 78
2 Stockport County 40 22 10 8 72 36 +36 76

Edited by blueboy3333

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Chorley beat Stockport 2-0 yesterday. Billed as a 'promotion decider' it means Chorley are now 4 pts clear of Stockport with 2 games left. Chorley have the superior goal difference too so a win and a draw should do it. Chorley will be promoted to the Conference. 

P W D L F A +/- Pts

2 points clear ... I rather think ...

In terms of Lancashire, none of our League clubs are going to be promoted, and, assuming Burnley & Accrington survive, nor will any face the drop. AFC Fylde look set for a promotion play-off campaign, and Chorley may well be promoted, perhaps as champions ...

A good year all round, especially with BRFC Ladies & BFC Ladies winning their respective leagues .....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Chorley beat Stockport 2-0 yesterday. Billed as a 'promotion decider' it means Chorley are now 4 pts clear of Stockport with 2 games left. Chorley have the superior goal difference too so a win and a draw should do it. Chorley will be promoted to the Conference. 

P W D L F A +/- Pts

Chorley have two games against teams in play off positions Spennymore away tomorrow and Bradford PA at home on Saturday. Stockport have two easier games supposedlyone against Curzon who are safe and one against Nuneaton who are already relegated so this could very well go to the wire. However Stockport have only taken one point in the last nine.

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

P W D L F A +/- Pts

I went to the game yesterday and enjoyed the occasion. Chorley deserved to win but at 1-0 I saw the worst miss I have ever seen live. All the Stockport player had to do was side foot the ball into a completely empty goal. Be put it over from four yards - incredible.

Chorley have it in their own hands now and have to win their last two matches but National League North aficionados tell me they are two tough ones.

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

I went to the game yesterday and enjoyed the occasion. Chorley deserved to win but at 1-0 I saw the worst miss I have ever seen live. All the Stockport player had to do was side foot the ball into a completely empty goal. Be put it over from four yards - incredible.

Chorley have it in their own hands now and have to win their last two matches but National League North aficionados tell me they are two tough ones.

That miss was reminiscent of a Beamo!

3 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

2 points clear ... I rather think ...

In terms of Lancashire, none of our League clubs are going to be promoted, and, assuming Burnley & Accrington survive, nor will any face the drop. AFC Fylde look set for a promotion play-off campaign, and Chorley may well be promoted, perhaps as champions ...

A good year all round, especially with BRFC Ladies & BFC Ladies winning their respective leagues .....

Aye I meant they probably only need 4 points with their superior goal diff. 

Edited by blueboy3333