BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Those who know me know how long I've petitioned for Smallwood to be dropped as time and again I think he's been our worst player.

Ironically first half today I would have said there were 4 or 5 equally bad if not worse... however I was obviously not disappointed to not see him return as we are simply put a much better team without him.

Crossing drills tomorrow please Tony. Almost every cross was floated too high and too deep. Scrap that... Wingers tomorrow please Tony!

Just now, Songman said:

Absolute pleasure to see the effort being put in, and us out working sides as we are, been a long time since we've seen that. Add a bit of quality before close of this window and the results will follow.

Yep, the difference in fight between the two sides was stark tonight. I very much doubt they would have come from 2 down even though they had some quite gifted players. 

• Like 1

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Indeed. Pretty much what he got when he took over the season we went down. He's a 1.5 ppg type of guy in the Championship which will do for us this season. He likes a draw does Mogga at this level!

Exactly what I was thinking when I posted that ?

2 hours ago, CD_93 said:

The Tony Mowbray effect in action tonight. Rockets up backsides at half time. Rothwell a real player. Lets hope nothing too serious for Arma (and Dom and Palmer).

Palmer not injured,family problems back in London,hopefully back on Saturday.

All set up to watch this but fell asleep and missed it. Well there is a seven hours time difference.

Not only Rovers stepped up but I had been reaching a point of despair about our message board.

Comments have been a quantum leap better to read on this game. Thanks to all!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Indeed. Pretty much what he got when he took over the season we went down. He's a 1.5 ppg type of guy in the Championship which will do for us this season. He likes a draw does Mogga at this level!

Trouble is we aren't going to go unbeaten all season, We're likely to lose almost as many as we draw as the season goes on so we will have to be looking to improve our win ratio.

Obviously relieved to get the point after a disastrous first half, but if we’re going to have a half decent season we can’t be giving goals away like we did, or end up being happy with 1 point at home to sides like Reading. TM needs to start Bennett in CM every week - he isn’t a winger and always excels in the middle of the Park. He also needs to drop one of his pets, Richie.

Big few days ahead - we desperately need some quality to come through the door (even more so with Arma now injured) especially in the final third, to ensure that we can compete and don’t ever have to field another subs bench like that again.

What a bizarre day.  No Dack, 2-nil down at half time, pull it back to level, now linked with allsorts of odds and ends. I know its not a popular opinion but I am willing to give Rodwell the benefit of the doubt and give him a blue and white shirt.  However, we forwards Tony...  you know strikers, goal machines!?  Anywho, thoughts from Tony and guest of the week Marc Mayo from the Tile Hurst End podcast. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Rothwell was outstanding all match.

Nyambe and Evans very good in second half. Bennett improved in second half.

It really was a game of two halves and I’m so glad we didn’t lose tbh, but it doesn’t make it any less frustrating that we’ve gone in 2-0 down at half time and started a game so slowly AGAIN!

We just need lots of bodies in and fast. Particularly if the injuries keep on piling up (especially at this early stage). 

We didn’t start slowly - both Armstrong and Rothwell nearly scored prior to lenihans crazy 20 mins

• Like 5

9 hours ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Please do explain your much thought about comment! 

When he gives the ball away with 1 minute left and presents Reading with a chance to attack; a better team could well have punished us. Overall one of his better games hence why I included 'at times' and I 100% stand by it, he can be appalling. That OK? 

9 hours ago, dinglebasher said:

He presented for every throw in.

He moved the ball forward from defence to attack for the entire game.

He presented every time Lenihan or Mulgrew had possession.

He made an important foul when they were three on one. 

He continuously made two yards of space for himself to take the pressure off the defence.

He did all that and only gave the ball away once all night, when he crossed over the back post. 

But yeah, disgraceful. 

He gave it away with one minute left hence my comment. The 'at times' part was ignored in your response and I stand by it. One of his better games though so I should maybe I should have recognised that, however overall he's been poor a lot more than he's been good in a Rovers shirt. 

Observations:

We shot ourselves in the foot twice with their 2 goals. Came out of nothing. Hopefully we’ll learn from this.

This team does not know when it’s beaten, couple of years back we would have lost that with a whimper.

We don’t look out of place in this league at all based on who we’ve played so far.

Evans again was brilliant. Seemed to be everywhere.

Rothwell, I’m not sure is ready to be a 90mins player, maybe better as impact sub. Did ok in the circumstances.

Nyambe has a great game again.

We desperately need a proper winger and striker (as we’ve all been saying all summer).

Please god, we need Dack, Palmer and Armstrong fit for Saturday.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Jim Royle said:

We didn’t start slowly - both Armstrong and Rothwell nearly scored prior to lenihans crazy 20 mins

Maybe start slowly was the wrong phrase, but even so, we were 0-2 down at HT with a mountain to climb, which luckily we did.

• Backroom
14 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Maybe start slowly was the wrong phrase, but even so, we were 0-2 down at HT with a mountain to climb, which luckily we did.

To be fair whilst we had a very good opening 10-15 mins, once Reading scored their first we completely collapsed and their second became inevitable. Whatever Mowbray said at the break obviously worked and we looked back up for it again in the second half, but we still would never have scored from open play which is a concern. Without Dack we didn't look like we knew what to do in the final third. Luckily McShane gave us the answers but we can't expect every team to have a player that generous. 

44 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

He gave it away with one minute left hence my comment. The 'at times' part was ignored in your response and I stand by it. One of his better games though so I should maybe I should have recognised that, however overall he's been poor a lot more than he's been good in a Rovers shirt. 

Yes, but you were commenting on his performance in this match, when he was (in my opinion and those of many others) a class apart last night. To label a player 'a disgrace at times' for making one mistake at the end of an otherwise impressive performance (when we were pushing for a win in the last few minutes) seems ridiculous. If you think making the odd mistake qualifies as 'disgraceful' you must have pretty high standards. 

Evans seems to attract a lot of this type of hysterical criticism for some reason, despite being the most composed player we have on the ball. He doesn't do anything spectacular but does all the hard, boring stuff that no one else can do as well as he can.