BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

I've been a big critic of Evans throughout his time here, a lot of it down to frustration with a player of obvious quality. He has often looked disinterested, ducking out of challenges and generally 'paper bag' - with a poor fitness record to boot.

However, I think he's been excellent so far this season, a real composed presence in midfield.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, dinglebasher said:

Yes, but you were commenting on his performance in this match, when he was (in my opinion and those of many others) a class apart last night. To label a player 'a disgrace at times' for making one mistake at the end of an otherwise impressive performance (when we were pushing for a win in the last few minutes) seems ridiculous. If you think making the odd mistake qualifies as 'disgraceful' you must have pretty high standards. 

Evans seems to attract a lot of this type of hysterical criticism for some reason, despite being the most composed player we have on the ball. He doesn't do anything spectacular but does all the hard, boring stuff that no one else can do as well as he can. 

In all fairness, Evans has previously only looked good on the odd occasion and that was picked up by many. Most, myself included are happy to see that he is finally starting to put in consistently good performances since the backend of last season and credit where credits due he gets the plaudits for those performances. I had him as MOM against Hull and very close to it again last night but just shaded by Rothwell in my opinion.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

People rightly picking up on the quality of Evans' performances. I think he's been really good this season, picking up from where he left off last season. 

He can be a frustrating player at times, but when he plays like he does last night, he's a vital part of this team IMO.

• Like 3

Funny how previous opinions so often cloud judgements on players.

I agree with earlier comments on Bell. He is getter my used to being in the team and at also playing at a higher level.

Nyambe is growing by the minute. Bell reminds me of how Ryan was when he started in the team too. Trying not to make a mistake and showing occasional glimpses of the more natural game.

Nyambe has one key area for development; heading the ball! That said he is learning how to use his strength more off the ball to mitigate this. It will be interesting to see if teams target him aerially as much at set pieces and re-starts as we saw last season. I think it will diminish.

Smallwood looks out of sorts and appears to be struggling; looks like a lack of form combined with being challenged the step up.

Evans has always frustrated me. I’m not a big proponent of his; sometimes his slatinga are justified sometimes not. Right now he is playing his best football for us. Looks fit. Let’s hope it stays that way!

Thought Samuel looked sharper, hungrier and stronger (other than his skier shot).

Graham looks like he needs to get his account up and running and is frustrated on the goals front; otherwise a solid performance and led the line well.

Nuttall remains an interesting prospect; injuries may demand he stays but think a loan to League One would do him a world of good.

Rothwell not only showed he has some talent and class, his attitude was there for all to see last night. Inherently positive when he gets the ball and put a really big shift in too.

Thinking back to how we have progressed under TM. One thing to sure is, he does have an eye for a player and is clearly good at developing players too. Let’s hope he can find some more numbers that fit the bill to bolster the squad. It will define our season. Without many injuries we will be fine this season, if not, could become a nail biter!

So refreshing to go to games now and feel unity and a sense of pride and belief that we can comeback in games too. Well done, TM, well done team, well done supporters.

It’s great to enjoy Ewood again. Thank you!

• Like 4

It was a joy to watch Rothwell last night, it's a long time since we've had a midfielder who looks to drive at the opposition, he put in some absolutely crunching tackles too, not a part of his game I was aware of. He looked like an old fashioned all action number 8 last night, really looking forward to seeing more of him. 

Smallwood looked cooked, barring a couple of tackles and a neat flick in the first 10 minutes he was miles off the pace, the performance of Evans and Rothwell as an engine room should mean that Smallwood's 50 consecutive starts comes to an abrupt end. Can never fault the lads effort but unfortunately for him I think he looks out of his depth at this level.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

...all 247 of them. Shameful turn out.

I think Sky's coverage will impact on mid-week attendances.  I suspect there won't be many of us at Swansea for our mid-week game and I don't think we'll take the same numbers to Derby for the Tuesday night game.  It will be interesting to see what away followings are in the Championship for mid-week games this season. 

26 minutes ago, dinglebasher said:

Yes, but you were commenting on his performance in this match, when he was (in my opinion and those of many others) a class apart last night. To label a player 'a disgrace at times' for making one mistake at the end of an otherwise impressive performance (when we were pushing for a win in the last few minutes) seems ridiculous. If you think making the odd mistake qualifies as 'disgraceful' you must have pretty high standards. 

Evans seems to attract a lot of this type of hysterical criticism for some reason, despite being the most composed player we have on the ball. He doesn't do anything spectacular but does all the hard, boring stuff that no one else can do as well as he can. 

What JacknOry said ?

21 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I've been a big critic of Evans throughout his time here, a lot of it down to frustration with a player of obvious quality. He has often looked disinterested, ducking out of challenges and generally 'paper bag' - with a poor fitness record to boot.

However, I think he's been excellent so far this season, a real composed presence in midfield.

Maybe it's the 'competition' that is within the club this season, let's be honest who could we have played instead of him over the last few years. Now he's got Rothwell and Davenport to compete with for that role.

2 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I think Sky's coverage will impact on mid-week attendances.  I suspect there won't be many of us at Swansea for our mid-week game and I don't think we'll take the same numbers to Derby for the Tuesday night game.  It will be interesting to see what away followings are in the Championship for mid-week games this season. 

True, but 247 is piss poor for this early in the season. Reading can get big crowds at home. They obviously don't travel well. 

Did anyone in League 1 bring that few?

10 minutes ago, Speedie's Gonna Get Ya said:

Funny how previous opinions so often cloud judgements on players.

I agree with earlier comments on Bell. He is getter my used to being in the team and at also playing at a higher level.

Nyambe is growing by the minute. Bell reminds me of how Ryan was when he started in the team too. Trying not to make a mistake and showing occasional glimpses of the more natural game.

Nyambe has one key area for development; heading the ball! That said he is learning how to use his strength more off the ball to mitigate this. It will be interesting to see if teams target him aerially as much at set pieces and re-starts as we saw last season. I think it will diminish.

Smallwood looks out of sorts and appears to be struggling; looks like a lack of form combined with being challenged the step up.

Evans has always frustrated me. I’m not a big proponent of his; sometimes his slatinga are justified sometimes not. Right now he is playing his best football for us. Looks fit. Let’s hope it stays that way!

Thought Samuel looked sharper, hungrier and stronger (other than his skier shot).

Graham looks like he needs to get his account up and running and is frustrated on the goals front; otherwise a solid performance and led the line well.

Nuttall remains an interesting prospect; injuries may demand he stays but think a loan to League One would do him a world of good.

Rothwell not only showed he has some talent and class, his attitude was there for all to see last night. Inherently positive when he gets the ball and put a really big shift in too.

Thinking back to how we have progressed under TM. One thing to sure is, he does have an eye for a player and is clearly good at developing players too. Let’s hope he can find some more numbers that fit the bill to bolster the squad. It will define our season. Without many injuries we will be fine this season, if not, could become a nail biter!

So refreshing to go to games now and feel unity and a sense of pride and belief that we can comeback in games too. Well done, TM, well done team, well done supporters.

It’s great to enjoy Ewood again. Thank you!

Already has against Ipswich... Does need a another.

Agreed on the 2nd one.

9 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

True, but 247 is piss poor for this early in the season. Reading can get big crowds at home. They obviously don't travel well. 

Did anyone in League 1 bring that few?

With three defeats out of three and not particulary good travellers, even without the red button, I couldn't imagine them bringing many more.

Still early days, but I certainly expected less at Ewood last night (real and announced crowd). I think the winter nights will see the biggest drop offs.

36 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Rothwell, Evans and Bennett all put in a massive shift last night. They were brilliant and a big reason why we managed to get ourselves back in to the game so well last night.

Rothwell in particular impressed me. Looks like we've signed a bit of a gem.

Rothwell certainly has a lot in his locker; quick feet, good passer, gets around well, decent shot plus he can tackle. Gem indeed  

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Rothwell certainly has a lot in his locker; quick feet, good passer, gets around well, decent shot plus he can tackle. Gem indeed  

Just think what he will be like when he gets a bit of confidence and swagger about him. Not knocking him but we all know what a goal does for players in attacking positions! 

Such a bargain that he looks good enough to play in any other midfield berth. Nice shout Mr Mowbray and co.

I felt that we desperately lacked width, too often trying to pass our way through the centre of a packed defence. Without natural wingers, the full backs have to get forward and supply crosses. Bell looked to be lacking in confidence, although on the occasions he did run with the ball, he ran infield. Nyambe was outstanding but again, did not supply any crosses. We need at least one winger, or the coaching staff need to work with the full backs on their role when they get in the final third.

• Like 1

I was struck by the similarities to the Milwall game. Early doors we seemed to concede quite a bit of space in our half and lacked the numbers to hold good posession. We could easily have been 2 down against Milwall at half time. True we made a couple of openings as we did last night but for me it's a worrying trend. Granted the second half was better ,as it was v Milwall,but there's a definite pattern emerging. Personnel aside,we will have to get bodies capable of holding,winning posession and playing secure balls on Saturday, or else

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

With three defeats out of three and not particulary good travellers, even without the red button, I couldn't imagine them bringing many more.

Still early days, but I certainly expected less at Ewood last night (real and announced crowd). I think the winter nights will see the biggest drop offs.

Interestingly and maybe quite fortunately we have 1 home game midweek until after March 2019 now. Sheff Utd at home, which I think will attract a decent crowd anyway. The other this year is on a tuesday but is new years day against West Brom, so again, probably another decent crowd. The next one then isn't until March as said, and that's a derby against Wigan, so maybe another decent crowd if we are doing okay. The fixture list has treated us kindly this time.

Will be interesting to see how many we take to Wigan away midweek though in November, 4 weeks before Christmas.

Edited by AAK

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Lowest ever following to Wigan I would imagine, as it is also a few days after a weekend trip to Preston, so you would imagine most fans will prioritise that game.

Yes would have thought so mate. Maybe 2k at Wigan not much more. Bolton away on telly also, but with it being a tea time saturday and not having played there for about 3 years, probably sell out.

Edited by AAK

24 minutes ago, pentelrobot said:

I felt that we desperately lacked width, too often trying to pass our way through the centre of a packed defence. Without natural wingers, the full backs have to get forward and supply crosses. Bell looked to be lacking in confidence, although on the occasions he did run with the ball, he ran infield. Nyambe was outstanding but again, did not supply any crosses. We need at least one winger, or the coaching staff need to work with the full backs on their role when they get in the final third.

I felt if we had Chapman instead of Conway second hald we would've won that game. I find it really painful watching Conway these days. He's clearly past it, sad to see.

• Like 1