BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jimmy McIlroy

Yes a top player in his day. I only saw him towards the end of his career but at his peak he was good enough to play for The Rest Of Europe I think.  He was a clever playmaker who scored his share of goals. A very neat and tidy player who rarely wasted a pass. A bit like a smaller Zinadine Zidane to watch. Off the pitch he was a really nice bloke I understand. I remember being stood by the wall on the Riverside when he came over to pick the ball up for a throw in and I flipped him the ball. The rivalry was different then and all top players were looked up to, they were all Giants to us football daft lads. Burnley ( well Bob Lord actually ) did the dirty on him and fired him off quite ruthlessly when he was just on the wane. Football was a bit "  hire 'em and fire 'em " in those days but this was a particularly callous move.

My geography teacher at secondary school was a die hard Burnley fan who idolised Mac and he vowed never to set foot in the ground again. In the two years he taught me before I left he never went back !

RIP Jimmy. You were a good 'un.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

Sad. The link above says 'our greatest ever player' which is a great tribute.

I must have seen him play because he was in the (in)famous 3-3 FA Cup draw in 1960. I can't say I remember him particularly but he had a reputation of being a classy player.

Edited by knobblybottom

4 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

There's a few tears being shed over here .... it was widely  known that he'd been unwell, but it's still very sad news !!

He was our Ronnie Clayton or Bryan Douglas, if you will, and as a previous poster said, a thoroughly nice man !

RIP Jimmy !!    ?

Club rivalries are put aside at times like this mate. He would no doubt have been very proud to see your club in the great shape it is.

RIP Jimmy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Great picture of the man in that link,looks like Rovers too.

R.I.P.

Ground looks too big. I think it might be Old Trafford.

RIP to a very fine player.  Gentleman footballer, like Ronnie. 

They don't make them like Jimmy McIlroy any more. 

Just now, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Didn't he play for Stoke after Burnley?

Definitely Turf Moor Jim,The Longside and Bee Hole End was very big terracing!

Yes, he went to Stoke for quite big money at the time. Stoke were a bit of a " Dad's Army " team at the time but they were quite successful. I think he later managed Oldham I think with out much success. Probably too nice a bloke to succeed as a manager.

I thought it was Turf Moor also.

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

RIP Jimmy Mac. Rest assured we Rovers won't torture your memory like Burnley fans do to Jack Walker.

The vast, vast majority of Clarets completely disassociate themselves from that song. Every club has a section of utter morons, hence the songs over the years about Munich, Hillsborough, Turkey etc. Rovers are no exception and much as our away support has been very impressive in numbers over recent times, some of the stuff I see and hear makes me cringe.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

The vast, vast majority of Clarets completely disassociate themselves from that song. Every club has a section of utter morons, hence the songs over the years about Munich, Hillsborough, Turkey etc. Rovers are no exception and much as our away support has been very impressive in numbers over recent times, some of the stuff I see and hear makes me cringe.

Not saying the vast majority take part in it week in, week out, but it's certainly been the vast majority of the away end at Ewood taking part in that song when they visit.

RIP Jimmy

Edited by Songman
  • Like 1

• Backroom

PM'd you. I think it's a valid point personally. It's very rare we focus on their worst moments even during derby games, yet they chant about Jack's death within 5 minutes of their biggest game in 50 years.

...and as I pointed out in the PM Rovers fans apparently chanted about the death of a young Burnley player several years ago.What Oldjam says is absolutely right. I don't like those chants but look how many people participated in that racist Coyle chant which strangely continued after he walked out on the club for Bolton. Some of the people involved in those chants are thick sheep whereas others have a brain but still get caught up that kind of in behaviour. Is it truly evil and malicious? I'm not so sure.  What I'm tired of is cheap point scoring and for several people that's what this is. I do note that you have criticised the Walker Family before and should have acknowledged that. A lot of people however don't preferring to see it as boring and pointless but are quick to like posts that point out Burnley fans being disrespectful. Let me ask which would Jack have been more bothered about? Would bet my life it wouldn't be those chants.

Rovers fans probably won't chant about Mcilroy. Did Burnley fans chant about Ronnie Clayton? I doubt it. Jack was an influential presence (understatement alert) in living memory for a far greater number of people. If Dyche dies suddenly bet some Rovers fans would chant about it. Of course then it would be "oh they chant about Jack that's the only reason we are doing this". Tedious.

Now I can't say for sure but wouldn't a playoff final, promotion securing games be bigger than the early rounds of the Europa League? I don't really think Trelleborgs was one of the biggest games in past 50 years (even at the time) though obviously this club has been in more title battles and late stages of cup competitions in same period. Not to mention in the 90's most games had a sense of magnitude that came with the ambition of the period driven by an owner with high expectations. Burnley losing to Watford (2 clubs likely to be midtable at best with FUP lessening impact of any possible takeover) not really high profile is it?

Edited by Vinjay17
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/08/2018 at 11:37, Vinjay17 said:

Time to use Jack as a point scoring card where Burnley are involved but never mention his family.

POINT SCORING TIME.

You can't resist can you.

Edited by Hasta