BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rodwell signs

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Have you read that article?He was fit and available to play, he didn't want want to go without being fixed up with another club first, when he refused to walk away from his contract he was told to train on his own.The club gave him that contract.

Yes I'm skeptical too but more due to his injury record and poor form rather than problems with his attitude. We will see how he does, doesn't look like it will be costing us much anyway

I agree, it's the fact that for various reasons it's ages since he last played competitive football that's bothering me.  It's hard to pick it all up again after a long absence even if you are an international.

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Stuart said:

Maybe we need to listen to them.

It’s not what he used to be like or what potential he used to have that matters. It’s what he can offer now.

5208663B-7B73-4CD8-A34C-56879FA2C2FD.jpeg

To be fair, how do they know? He hasn’t played for them for ages! 

Clean slate, if he’s rubbish, then it’s not cost us the earth and he bails at the end of the season....

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree, it's the fact that for various reasons it's ages since he last played competitive football that's bothering me.  It's hard to pick it all up again after a long absence even if you are an international.

Not started a league game for 348 days, according to the bbc.

Just now, davulsukur said:

Not started a league game for 348 days, according to the bbc.

Yeah but has been fit Sunderland and Coleman wouldn't play him.

The past is the past he is on a cheap deal, like you said earlier he is a rover now so will have our backing, If he doesn't show anything he will be out the door next summer.

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Yeah but has been fit Sunderland and Coleman wouldn't play him.

The past is the past he is on a cheap deal, like you said earlier he is a rover now so will have our backing, If he doesn't show anything he will be out the door next summer.

Aye, it’ll take a bit of time to get match sharpness back.

Not playing for that long will require some work to get him back up to speed.

• Like 2

Not sure too much what's to like about this one. 

He's injury prone. 
He's a reputation for being a mercenary/bad influence

I can't imagine he's cheap - yes it won't be £70K per week but he won't be on peanuts

He's a central midfielder - we don't need them with Evans, Bennett, Smallwood and Rothwell all being able to play there

We have huge other needs in other parts of our squad. 

Seems like a bad move by TM who is a great guy and good manager, but his transfers to date have been very hit and miss. There's been a lot which haven't worked out as well, or been good value for money - Whittingham, Caddis and Samuel all spring to mind - as well as some notable successes in Dack, Smallwood and seemingly Rothwell. Much as I like TM I'm not sure his record alone eases my disquiet at this transfer. Hopefully it'll turn out to be in the success column, but on paper and TM's past record I have my doubts as to whether this will be the case. Really hope I'm wrong though.

What we really need are wide players... 

Just now, davulsukur said:

Aye, it’ll take a bit of time to get match sharpness back.

Not playing for that long will require some work to get him back up to speed.

Yeah it will but at least he spent pre season with Watford and been training with Everton.

Reed expected tomorrow then hopefully next week money will be spent securing a loan to buy striker and winger

Assuming he is on a cheap deal. I'm not even sure what a cheap deal is any more to be honest.

If he's in the lower half of the earners at the club, has been promised a decent contract if he performs and if he doesn't we can ship him out at the end of the season then there's comparatively very little risk.

But if he's in any way talked his way into a decent wage and that stops us getting in a body in a position we are actually short then it's a bad bit of business.

Weirdly the fact that he was once a talent, only 27, twice capped for England, had a couple of (at the time) big-ish money transfers makes it kind of seem worse because the media will talk it up like its a marquee signing for us, rather than the cheap gamble we have to hope it is. I'm sure there have been players who have essentially fallen out with a club and been transformed after a transfer. Not sure I can think of many though...

Decent punt, as long as he's on reasonable wages. It's worth noting that while his main problem throughout his career has been injuries, Mowbray and the medical team has managed to keep notorious sick note Charlie Mulgrew on the pitch for over a year now. My main misgiving is that this has the potential to take valuable first team minutes from Travis, Tomlinson and Wharton. 

Why is it whenever we sign someone I can always make a case for it being a shrewd piece of business? I'm the most pessimistic, miserable sod going in day to day life. But I'll always find a reason to think we might get a tune out of our new signings. So this evening I'm doing just that. But there is this niggling little thought in my head that if I was reading about any other club signing Rodwell, I'd probably have a little chuckle to myself.

Good luck to the bloke and obviously I hope he can do the business. But it does seem like a bit of a strange signing.

• Like 2

Hi lads, Sunderland fan here.  Just wanted to say good luck with Jack Rodwell.

As you've already gathered, Sunderland fans in general consider him to be probably our worst signing in history, but I noticed not many people had mentioned his record when he was with us, and some are quoting that he was "fit and available to play" but being hounded out, which is a debatable point that I'll get to in a moment.  There are a few other bits of info that are probably worth noting, so I'll throw them in too.

As some of you have quite rightly pointed out, it was Sunderland's daft fault for giving him a 5-year contract on 70k per week and a relegation clause that would only activate if we failed to get promoted back to the Premier League on our first attempt, meaning that when we were relegated to the Championship we ended up stuck with a player on huge wages that couldn't get into the first team.  He was literally the only player on our books that didn't have an automatic 40% wage reduction immediately if we were relegated.

While it would be easy to say we Sunderland fans held his wages against him (because they restricted our transfer business) and the club froze him out to get rid of him, a lot of ground had been tread before we even got to that point in our relationship with him.

First of all, his record.  From the last time he'd won a match that he'd started when he was still playing for Man City until his first win as a match starter in a Sunderland shirt, he went 1370 days without being on the winning team in a match he had started.

That 39 match streak included 37 starts for Sunderland in the 2.5 years he'd played for us up until that point...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38867929

Then there's his injury record.  For a while it seemed like whenever we thought he was ready to come back into the team and was making noises in interviews that he was ready for selection, he'd get another injury.

https://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/players/2742/jack_rodwell_injury.html

We had manager after manager while Rodwell was at the club that seemed to give him a chance at first and then end up not selecting him ahead of our other midfielders when he was allegedly fit to play.

After we were relegated, he decided he wasn't a midfielder anymore.   Our then-new manager Simon Grayson said of him "“He told me that, before going into the first team, he had played centre-half for Everton and also through the age groups with England, and he felt that might be his best position because psychologically, and maybe physically as well, his body can’t take the demands of playing in midfield any more."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sunderland-hand-jack-rodwell-chance-13758808

Rodwell had been offered a way out.  There were clubs interested in signing him for free and Sunderland had told him we'd happily rip up his contract and let him sign for another team, but he chose to stay with Sunderland on his 70k per week wages, training with our U23's.  He at some point had announced to our management that he no longer wanted to play for Sunderland, and there was a rumour that he'd actually said that he no longer wanted to play football at all.  He then released his now famous statement to the Daily Mail, which infuriated many of our fans with his talk of being the fittest he'd ever been and his hope of getting back into the England team...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5280715/Sunderland-outcast-Jack-Rodwell-insists-hes-not-blame.html

...to which Chris Coleman, our manager at the time responded...

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chris-coleman-reacts-jack-rodwells-14177256

When he finally left in the Summer after our relegation to League 1 and our new chairman taking over, there were champagne bottles popping open all over Sunderland at seeing the back of him.

Obviously we fans can only see snippets of information and try to fill in the blanks ourselves, so who knows what actually happened behind the scenes, but between his losing streak, his injuries, and the way each successive manager failed to get performances out of him, the rest of his time with us on high wages training with the U23's and refusing to leave to join other teams while claiming "it's not about money, I just want to play football" in his Daily Mail interview was just adding insult to injury.

The general emotion in Sunderland right now is one of shock, that any professional football club would give Rodwell a chance after his time at Sunderland.

I hope for your sake that the contract is some kind of pay-as-you-play deal with a clause that if you lose he doesn't get paid.  

Anyway, just wanted to pass on a Sunderland fan's perspective.

All the best.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Maybe we need to listen to them.

It’s not what he used to be like or what potential he used to have that matters. It’s what he can offer now.

5208663B-7B73-4CD8-A34C-56879FA2C2FD.jpeg

I'm not worried about what Sunderland fans think of him, I'll judge him solely on what he does with us. When we signed Graham Sunderland fans didn't have a good word to say about him yet I'd say that he has been an excellent signing for us.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MackemInPeace said:

As you've already gathered, Sunderland fans in general consider him to be probably our worst signing in history, but I noticed not many people had mentioned his record when he was with us, and some are quoting that he was "fit and available to play" but being hounded out, which is a debatable point that I'll get to in a moment.  There are a few other bits of info that are probably worth noting, so I'll throw them in too.

As some of you have quite rightly pointed out, it was Sunderland's daft fault for giving him a 5-year contract on 70k per week and a relegation clause that would only activate if we failed to get promoted back to the Premier League on our first attempt, meaning that when we were relegated to the Championship we ended up stuck with a player on huge wages that couldn't get into the first team.  He was literally the only player on our books that didn't have an automatic 40% wage reduction immediately if we were relegated.

While it would be easy to say we Sunderland fans held his wages against him (because they restricted our transfer business) and the club froze him out to get rid of him, a lot of ground had been tread before we even got to that point in our relationship with him.

First of all, his record.  From the last time he'd won a match that he'd started when he was still playing for Man City until his first win as a match starter in a Sunderland shirt, he went 1370 days without being on the winning team in a match he had started.

That 39 match streak included 37 starts for Sunderland in the 2.5 years he'd played for us up until that point...

Then there's his injury record.  For a while it seemed like whenever we thought he was ready to come back into the team and was making noises in interviews that he was ready for selection, he'd get another injury.

https://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/players/2742/jack_rodwell_injury.html

We had manager after manager while Rodwell was at the club that seemed to give him a chance at first and then end up not selecting him ahead of our other midfielders when he was allegedly fit to play.

After we were relegated, he decided he wasn't a midfielder anymore.   Our then-new manager Simon Grayson said of him "“He told me that, before going into the first team, he had played centre-half for Everton and also through the age groups with England, and he felt that might be his best position because psychologically, and maybe physically as well, his body can’t take the demands of playing in midfield any more."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sunderland-hand-jack-rodwell-chance-13758808

Rodwell had been offered a way out.  There were clubs interested in signing him for free and Sunderland had told him we'd happily rip up his contract and let him sign for another team, but he chose to stay with Sunderland on his 70k per week wages, training with our U23's.  He at some point had announced to our management that he no longer wanted to play for Sunderland, and there was a rumour that he'd actually said that he no longer wanted to play football at all.  He then released his now famous statement to the Daily Mail, which infuriated many of our fans with his talk of being the fittest he'd ever been and his hope of getting back into the England team...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5280715/Sunderland-outcast-Jack-Rodwell-insists-hes-not-blame.html

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chris-coleman-reacts-jack-rodwells-14177256

When he finally left in the Summer after our relegation to League 1 and our new chairman taking over, there were champagne bottles popping open all over Sunderland at seeing the back of him.

Obviously we fans can only see snippets of information and try to fill in the blanks ourselves, so who knows what actually happened behind the scenes, but between his losing streak, his injuries, and the way each successive manager failed to get performances out of him, the rest of his time with us on high wages training with the U23's and refusing to leave to join other teams while claiming "it's not about money, I just want to play football" in his Daily Mail interview was just adding insult to injury.

The general emotion in Sunderland right now is one of shock, that any professional football club would give Rodwell a chance after his time at Sunderland.

I hope for your sake that the contract is some kind of pay-as-you-play deal with a clause that if you lose he doesn't get paid.  

All the best.

A balanced objective post about a topic you will no doubt feel  very passionately about - backed up with facts.

That won’t go down well on here but I certainly appreciate it. Thanks.

Of course, someone will be along now to tell me I’m talking nonsense (or being negative) and their post(s) will get lots of likes from the herd that we now have on here since the Rovers official messageboards closed down and the blue and white goggled types migrated over here, while the edgier posters set up their own fan site in response and promptly cleared off.

Cheers.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, MackemInPeace said:

All the best.

That isn't good reading.Was a bit positive after reading the mail piece.Shows there are two sides to every story.

Will see how he does here, just have to hope the move will bring back some hunger and desire and he doesn't spend his time on the treatment table.

Thanks for info.Good luck with your season and hope your new owners do better by the club than Short 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MackemInPeace said:

There were clubs interested in signing him for free and Sunderland had told him we'd happily rip up his contract and let him sign for another team, but he chose to stay with Sunderland on his 70k per week wages, training with our U23's.

Are you kidding? He signed a contract with you and he was honouring that contract, it’s not his fault that the contract you offered him was one of the stupidest things I can remember a football club doing. Every man and his dog would have accepted that deal and to say that he should have just ripped it up out of the good of his heart is naive at best.

28 minutes ago, MackemInPeace said:

You are shocked that any professional club would give a chance to a 27 year old former England international? Somehow I think your judgement is (understandably) clouded by the fact that he was on £70k per week.

Finally, good luck for the season. I hope you come straight back up.

• Like 2