BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rodwell signs

Just had a quick look on the Watford website:

Rodders played in 3 pre-season friendlies, looks like he played in midfield in all 3.

Dusseldorf 1 - 3 Watford - Came on at half time (as part of 11 changes) and played the full 45

Stevenage 0 - 1 Watford - Started the game and played 60mins before being subbed

Brentford 1 - 2 Watford - Subbed on at 60mins

Watford had another pre-season game after this which he didn't feature at all, presumably he'd left at this point.

• Like 1

I am actually quite excited by this signing. He's exactly the sort of player that seems to thrive at Rovers - the sort that has talent but has lost their way.

The lad just wants to play football. He's wanted out of Sunderland for obvious reasons - but they've been insisting on a £5 million fee - which no-one has been prepared to pay. He's had offers from Turkey (he went over and didn't fancy it) and Russia (but was concerned about the racism). 

It wasn't his fault that Sunderland gave him a massive contract which didn't have the normal 50% salary reduction on relegation clause. The figures I've heard were that he was on roughly £80k in the Premier League - around £70k in the Championship - and around £35k/£40k in League One. Sunderland have obviously been forced to not demand the £5m fee they were looking for. 

He was made to train with BOTH the first team and youth teams at Sunderland in an effort to force him out. He was also unpopular with the players purely because of the amount of the wage budget he was taking up. But again, that wasn't his fault.

He's wanted to comeback to the North West for a bit - specifically Southport. Realistically that was going to mean Rovers, PNE, Bolton or Wigan. I'd have been gutted had he gone to one of the other three.

As long as we have got him at reasonable wages - and I've no reason to think we won't have done - he can start enjoying his football again and show what a good player he can be.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Two of the most committed and professional footballers we've had at our club. Does that describe Rodwell's career to date?

Bellamy was a complete t--t at Newcastle and Coventry, refusing to play and mouthing off about how rubbish the clubs were. He only seemed to perform when Hughes managed him at Wales and rovers.

1 minute ago, DE. said:

Awful signing. Total desperation after we fucked the transfer window up. 

If he is the only one coming in permanently and we dont get a couple more in, I will agree its not been the best window. Striker and winger needed in my opinion - get two of good quality in permanently and the Rodwell deal in isolation does not seem so bad to me. 

2 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Can't help it, but I worry about that....anything to do with Jim White and Rovers transfers..( "Owen's a good guy, you know..David, please don't give up on your team..Venky's, we're coming for you..")

I remember that interview all to well!

Apparently Reed and another set to sign today.

Just now, Lancaster Rover said:

You'd assume that maybe Rodwell has told him that or someone at Rovers who has set up the interview?

Apparently it was Reed and Bereton but he didn't seem to have any knowledge and was said more a of a quip before saying we are splashing the cash after being chicken prodded.

1 hour ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Bellamy was a complete t--t at Newcastle and Coventry, refusing to play and mouthing off about how rubbish the clubs were. He only seemed to perform when Hughes managed him at Wales and rovers.

He was a tool but the lad could put his money where his mouth is. When he broke forward you just knew that ball was going into the back of the net, he was one of my favourite strikers to wear the blue and white. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rhodie said:

He was a tool but the lad could put his money where his mouth is. When he broke forward you just knew that ball was going into the back of the net, he was one of my favourite strikers to wear the blue and white. 

One of mine too, scored some fantastic goals as well and I was really gutted when he moved to Liverpool. Was another to find out that the grass is not always greener. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rhodie said:

I was too young to really remember Shearer, but since then Bellamy is easily my favourite Rovers striker. When you think about some of the competition he's had, that's really saying something. 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Bellamy was a massive goon, but the second best striker I've seen at Rovers in my lifetime (I'm 34) after Shearer. 

• Like 1

Been mulling this one over a bit. Come to the conclusion that I'm OK with Signing Rodwell - simple reason that we don't need to rely on him. We have solid players in his position(s) so if he's rubbish he doesn't trouble the starting 11 and we aren't weakened.

Also, I want to start at least one televised game with a central midfield pairing of Rothwell and Rodwell, just for the commentary.

Edited by AspRover