BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rodwell signs

7 hours ago, Butty said:

He’s played about 60 minutes of first team football so far but that Driving run last night where he picked the ball up on the halfway line, I never saw Jason Lowe do that in years of putting up with him. Rodwell is the new Tugay. 

Yeah that pass fake, run and pass was pretty damn good has to be said. He always says he sees himself as a CB but it would seem that his managers don't and that type of run is probably a reason as to why. 

8 hours ago, Butty said:

He’s played about 60 minutes of first team football so far but that Driving run last night where he picked the ball up on the halfway line, I never saw Jason Lowe do that in years of putting up with him. Rodwell is the new Tugay. 

Not sure about "the new Tugay"  but that little cameo was very impressive. We could do with more of that!

12 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Yeah that pass fake, run and pass was pretty damn good has to be said. He always says he sees himself as a CB but it would seem that his managers don't and that type of run is probably a reason as to why. 

Rio Ferdinand was brilliant at doing that from the defense .

I really don't understand all this won't be considered. Surly if your fit and playing well you should be considered for selection. How demoralizing must that be to a player, especially when they have played well. How can you build confidence, momentum and form if you get dropped and not even considered for the bench after playing well. I've never seen or heard any other manager in my lifetime have that attitude. 

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

If Rodwell was just told he was playing at Bournemouth and now has been just told he’s not being considered then that would be poor. But I imagine it’s more likely he knew in advance he would play in the cup but not in the league for a week or two. A decent manager would have all this planned and discussed with the player.

There must be things we're not aware of that Mowbray is, he's obviously playing it this way for a reason but on the face of it it seems like he's trying to buy himself some time from another selection headache. From a fan perspective, I've made similar points to the ones above, I really don't understand the point of giving first team football and then dropping him down again... It's literally the definition of 1 step forward and 2 steps back. He's not a kid, if he's good enough then play him or at least have him in the squad because we could really use someone of his height and physicality. He's been playing under 23 football and training with them at Sunderland when he was cast out, give him some responsibility and allow him to grow, it's not like time his on his side, he needs to be making the most of his career now IMV. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Rio Ferdinand was brilliant at doing that from the defense .

I really don't understand all this won't be considered. Surly if your fit and playing well you should be considered for selection. How demoralizing must that be to a player, especially when they have played well. How can you build confidence, momentum and form if you get dropped and not even considered for the bench after playing well. I've never seen or heard any other manager in my lifetime have that attitude. 

I think he is making sure he is wholly  mentally ready and resilient. Reading between the lines, his love for the game had gone (like Bentley) and I think that Mowbray is nurturing him back into things in a similar way that Jansen was when he was physically better - sadly that never worked out. The stresses of match day football must be immense at professional level and the Carabao Cup match had very little riding on it.

13 hours ago, Pedro said:

I think he is making sure he is wholly  mentally ready and resilient. Reading between the lines, his love for the game had gone (like Bentley) and I think that Mowbray is nurturing him back into things in a similar way that Jansen was when he was physically better - sadly that never worked out. The stresses of match day football must be immense at professional level and the Carabao Cup match had very little riding on it.

It's a fair point but surly that would be the players call. Maybe behind closed doors that's what Jack's said but I find it doubtful. If he didn't want to play he could have retired. He didn't, he chose to sign for rovers. If he's playing and playing well what better way to build your confidence than keep playing. At least be on the bench and feel like your around the squad and part of it. I've learned I know the square root of f all about most things posting on here and im Sure Tony has his reasons , it's just doesn't make sense lookimg from the outside looking in

He wasn’t up to speed on a few occasions. He looked a bit lost for the first goal and was dispossessed dangerously in the area too. He couldn’t keep up with Defoe either. I don’t think he’s ready yet but he could bring something different when he’s properly match-fit. I remain optimistic.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Embedding some tweets into an article is sports journalism these days?

They`ll take three or four of the most controversial idiotic tweets and disregard the many more positive ones that see it as it was, just to cause disharmony.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Torgeir said:

And drop Lenihan? 

Lenihan has on the whole been decent but has been prone to crucial errors recently. His distribution at times leaves a lot to be desired. It won't happen in the near future as Mowbray has said Rodwell isn't fit enough yet but moving forward I think Mulgrew and Rodwell would make us better defensively and add a bit more creativity.

I think people are underestimating just what Lenihan brings to the team. He's had a rocky spell recently (the impetuousness will hopefully fade as he gets more experienced) but he holds that defence together. The number of blocks he makes for some reason goes unnoticed. He's Hendry-esque at times. He's also quick which means we don't have to defend on the edge of our own box like we did when Mulgrew and Downing play. 

Rodwell has only played 30 minutes at Champ level and has already given away a penalty. At that rate it will be three a match. At least Lenny only does 1 a game at present?

6 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I think people are underestimating just what Lenihan brings to the team. He's had a rocky spell recently (the impetuousness will hopefully fade as he gets more experienced) but he holds that defence together. The number of blocks he makes for some reason goes unnoticed. He's Hendry-esque at times. He's also quick which means we don't have to defend on the edge of our own box like we did when Mulgrew and Downing play. 

Rodwell has only played 30 minutes at Champ level and has already given away a penalty. At that rate it will be three a match. At least Lenny only does 1 a game at present?

Lenihan is closing in on 100 games for us which I think gives him experience. Impetuous describes him perfectly recently and hopefully the coaching staff are working on this weakness. Improving the collective is the aim and I think this could be achieved with Rodwell and Mulgrew.

3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Lenihan is closing in on 100 games for us which I think gives him experience. Impetuous describes him perfectly recently and hopefully the coaching staff are working on this weakness. Improving the collective is the aim and I think this could be achieved with Rodwell and Mulgrew.

I think we'd be horribly exposed with those two in defence. Rodwell has been awful for years ( I can't actually believe the clamour for him based on a brief appearance where he gave away a penalty by mistiming his challenge and having to dangle a leg) Lets judge Rodwell after 20, 50 or 100 games, not 30 minutes.

• Like 2