BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rodwell signs

21 hours ago, Neal said:

As far as sports reporting goes, this is the absolute pits, complete shite. I thought the lad did well.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/10/01/do-blackburn-and-sunderland-fans-discuss-jack-rodwells-performan/

Are some of those deluded Sunderland fans aware they actually gave us money for Jason Steele that allowed us to buy Bradley Dack. Joke of a club. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

I think people are underestimating just what Lenihan brings to the team. He's had a rocky spell recently (the impetuousness will hopefully fade as he gets more experienced) but he holds that defence together. The number of blocks he makes for some reason goes unnoticed. He's Hendry-esque at times. He's also quick which means we don't have to defend on the edge of our own box like we did when Mulgrew and Downing play. 

Rodwell has only played 30 minutes at Champ level and has already given away a penalty. At that rate it will be three a match. At least Lenny only does 1 a game at present?

I think any clamour to drop Lenihan goes with the lack of a centre back signing in the summer. The alternatives are an average League 1 centre back, a left back and a central midfielder. Makes no sense to drop him unless his form really does dip beyond belief.

Lenihan is very much a blood and thunder centre back that does compliment Mulgrew who he relies on to help him through somewhat. Mulgrew is a better defender who doesnt have the rawness that Lenihan has, but obviously he has time to improve and certainly enough to warrant us looking to do just that. The thing is he obviously needs to use his brain more often as being brave and throwing yourself in isnt enough.

Any calls for him to be moved into midfield to avoid him giving away penalties are absurd. All of his positive attributes that obviously can be built on are the ones of a centre back, including his athleticism as you said. In midfield his main weakness (on the ball) would be exposed in an instant.

• Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I think any clamour to drop Lenihan goes with the lack of a centre back signing in the summer. The alternatives are an average League 1 centre back, a left back and a central midfielder. Makes no sense to drop him unless his form really does dip beyond belief.

Lenihan is very much a blood and thunder centre back that does compliment Mulgrew who he relies on to help him through somewhat. Mulgrew is a better defender who doesnt have the rawness that Lenihan has, but obviously he has time to improve and certainly enough to warrant us looking to do just that. The thing is he obviously needs to use his brain more often as being brave and throwing yourself in isnt enough.

Any calls for him to be moved into midfield to avoid him giving away penalties are absurd. All of his positive attributes that obviously can be built on are the ones of a centre back, including his athleticism as you said. In midfield his main weakness (on the ball) would be exposed in an instant.

Exactly, his days as a center midfielder are over. It's funny that every now and again when picking their desired team for an upcoming game, someone sticks him in there! 

The Championship is a step up and he has quick skillful players running at him more than last season, he just needs a bit of time. He has had some great games this season, lets not focus too much on the penalties. Mulgrew back beside him will help for a start 

• Like 1

• Backroom

I don't think he'll ever reach the potential he had, but from his cameos so far he seems to have enough about him to be a decent player for us. Just a case of keeping him focused and motivated. Early signs are promising.

• Like 3

If you factor in the shattered confidence and lack of games over the last two years I'd say he can only get better and I'm happy with what I've seen up to now. If his attitude is right behind closed doors I would be looking at extending his contract before he gets snapped up by someone else. I really rate the lad

• Like 2

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, Boroblue said:

If his attitude wasn’t right would Mowbray play him?

His attitude is obviously right now, but it's a question of whether it will be long term, particularly if he's still a rotation option in six months time rather than a regular first teamer. For what it's worth I think he'll keep himself in check as he knows his reputation he taken a huge hit over the past few years, but we can only wait and see. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

From what I’ve seen so far he looks athletic and has a football brain and a range of passing.

Pleased he’s here and could become a real asset

• Like 2

Players at Rovers seem to enjoy their football and being part of the club.

I would imagine that for Rodwell, the previous two years have been a living hell in football.

If he is motivated by football I would be amazed if he doesn't stay at Ewood. The risk is him getting back to speed by Christmas and a bottom half Premier League club seeing the opportunity.

• Like 1

From what we saw he looked composed and something different to what we already have in CM. When fully fit I think him and Evans might make a decent pairing.

Its kind of surprising that no other clubs were willing to take the chance with him, he’s got years left to play.

What were they watching? That drag back turn yesterday was class, he won everything, hardly gave it away, looked physically imposing with great technique. For someone who's 6.3" he has great feet. Unlucky at one point where he flicked it over someone's head but ran out play. I was really impressed, looked loads better than I thought he would at this point.

When we signed him Sunderland fans were saying how long it was since he won a league game of football, out of interest, does anyone know exactly? Edit: he won his first league game with Sunderland in Feb 2017, not sure he won again since, before that it was over 3 years without a league win.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

They just have a rabid hatred of the guy that precludes any rational views of him.

Hes seen as a symbol of their decline, double relegation and all that. I suppose I’d be the same if I saw Bradley Orr on the pitch again and it’s why I shout at the TV to this day when I hear or see Danny Murphy.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

They just have a rabid hatred of the guy that precludes any rational views of him.

Hes seen as a symbol of their decline, double relegation and all that. I suppose I’d be the same if I saw Bradley Orr on the pitch again and it’s why I shout at the TV to this day when I hear or see Danny Murphy.

Aye, although one of them on there admitted they saw him doing quite a bit in the few minutes they watched, so they had to turn it off!