BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rodwell signs

Just now, tomphil said:

Not really if they wanted to give the lad a helping hand because long term he might have other aspirations and be too dear for us to keep.

I don't think Mowbray was doing that. If Rodwell does well, I am sure we will be keen to keep him. Mowbray isn't playing him so he can earn himself a move, let alone doing PR for him. We aren't a charity :) 

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't think Mowbray was doing that. If Rodwell does well, I am sure we will be keen to keep him. Mowbray isn't playing him so he can earn himself a move, let alone doing PR for him. We aren't a charity :) 

I could give you a dozen reasons why we have been in the past !

It is possible in football for people to help each other out without any conspiracy being attached, remember Craig Bellamy ?

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, remind me 

Only you could come out with that ?

Well you and the Unicorn botherer ?

Anyway Hughes said to Bellamy come to us for a season, get fit and give us your best. If you want to stay we'll try and sort something but if as I think is likely a top club comes in we won't stand in your way and will let you go for what we paid for you.

An opportunity for a quality player to relaunch his career on a gentlemen's agreement, i'd have TM down as someone similar who sticks to his word.

Edited by tomphil

7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Only you could come out with that ?

Well you and the Unicorn botherer ?

Anyway Hughes said to Bellamy come to us for a season, get fit and give us your best. If you want to stay we'll try and sort something but if as I think is likely a top club comes in we won't stand in your way and will let you go for what we paid for you.

An opportunity for a quality player to relaunch his career on a gentlemen's agreement, i'd have TM down as someone similar who sticks to his word.

When did we ever stop a player moving when a top club came in for them? 

The 2 scenarios are very different. Bellamy was still a pretty highly sought after player. It seems Rodwell didn't have too many options. His last few seasons have been a disaster. 

Anyway, maybe it is just a shop window scenario , where hopefully it's a win/win with us and him benefiting. I just dont think mowbray is unofficially bigging him up to other clubs, in the hope of earning him a move. 

You need to stop with that crazy talk, next thing the crackpots will be picking up on what you have said and the line will be "Mowbray has the same agent as Rodwell and he is only palying him so that he gets a move!!!!!!!!! ARRGAGHHGGHGGG............" 

:) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

When did we ever stop a player moving when a top club came in for them? 

The 2 scenarios are very different. Bellamy was still a pretty highly sought after player. It seems Rodwell didn't have too many options. His last few seasons have been a disaster. 

Anyway, maybe it is just a shop window scenario , where hopefully it's a win/win with us and him benefiting. I just dont think mowbray is unofficially bigging him up to other clubs, in the hope of earning him a move. 

You need to stop with that crazy talk, next thing the crackpots will be picking up on what you have said and the line will be "Mowbray has the same agent as Rodwell and he is only palying him so that he gets a move!!!!!!!!! ARRGAGHHGGHGGG............" 

:) 

Well seeing as you mention it............?

You dont lose talent and this boy has it in droves - he wouldnt have had the career he did at a younger age without it. So calm and composed at the back and so comfortable on the ball. Think he deserves a new deal and should be more involved in the starting eleven.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JPTSwindon said:

Yep. He has fought back and now he needs to build on this run of (good) performances. Potential to be the (surprise) signing of the season.  Though with Mulgrew due to return where will he fit?

Think he should keep his place in front of Mulgrew for the time being until either him or Lenihan have a bad game.

Mulgrew's 32-33 so is definitely coming towards the end whereas Rodwell is 28. He's someone who you can build on next season or the season after.

I'd give him a contract but on a one or two year with an option for us to extend it. Don't want him taking liberties.

You play well and take your chance and you keep the shirt for me regardless of who you are.

• Like 2

Mowbray has continued to downplay him wherever possible. He described him as a comfort blanket last week, he said any new deal is "up in the air" too. He was far more complimentary towards Lenihan in this last week. I suspect either downplaying expectations of him signing a new deal or trying to keep his progress on the down low.

24 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Mowbray has continued to downplay him wherever possible. He described him as a comfort blanket last week, he said any new deal is "up in the air" too. He was far more complimentary towards Lenihan in this last week. I suspect either downplaying expectations of him signing a new deal or trying to keep his progress on the down low.

I expect it to be the latter with Mr Mowbray. 

Rodwell was outstanding yesterday and it was strange Tony didn’t really say much about his performance.

3 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

I expect it to be the latter with Mr Mowbray. 

Rodwell was outstanding yesterday and it was strange Tony didn’t really say much about his performance.

He said he enjoys watching how two footed he is in training and he said something along the lines of having no choice too keep him in the team now, be interested too see if he starts next week. His last few performances should guarantee him a start but at the same time you can’t not start a fit Mulgrew... ???

For improving the quality of our starting 11, and increasing the financial worth of our squad, getting Rodwell on to a proper contract is arguably just as much of a priority as trying to do a permanent deal for Reed.

Jack was great on Saturday and even better in a battling 90 mins at Millwall the week before. The fact he hasn’t played centre back since youth football is baffling, undoubted technical ability aside, his positioning and reading of the game from the back has been bang on. He’s at the stage of his career where this will develop further through playing experience and the signs are that he could forge a really good partnership at the back with Lenihan, something that is a bit of a god send considering Mulgrew’s age & the fact it could possibly save a decent transfer fee this summer.

We’re starting to get a small glimpse of why he has commanded two massive transfer fees in the past. We don’t know what Rodwell wants, but if there is a financially viable deal to be done we shouldn’t even be stopping to consider it.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Just read the quotes from Tomo. That is unequivocal, Rodwell is centre half with Lenihan even when Mulgrew is fit. 

I think we look better at the back with those 2, but Mulgrews dead balls could be a big loss....

3 at the back klaxon!

14 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Just read the quotes from Tomo. That is unequivocal, Rodwell is centre half with Lenihan even when Mulgrew is fit. 

I think we look better at the back with those 2, but Mulgrews dead balls could be a big loss....

Big decision for him to make.

For me it would be daft to drop Lenihan or Rodwell. Their last two games have been clean sheets, picking a motm award up in each.

On the flip side we have missed Mulgrew's delivery and he directly gives us a goal every 4 games ish, but that said we've scored 2 in each.

After winning 3 on the bounce in the league with 4 at the back it would be criminal to suddenly switch to 3 centre backs imo. So, personally I'd go Lenihan/Rodwell but with Tony's previous loyalty picks I expect Lenihan/Mulgrew.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I know, I keep thinking that too, but I really think Lenihan and Rodwell work very well together. We can't leave Mulgrew out though, can we? 

It's so hard. Rodwell and Lenihan have to stay. Almost be good for us if Mulgrew still isn't 100% fit next weekend. His set pieces alone warrant him in the team, but where? Mulgrew in CM or LB as some suggest would be suicidal. Imagine him against Bowen next weekend... Eesh. 3 at the back seems a good idea with our current crop with the ability to change mid game, but it needs a full pre season on it to properly work as every time we use it we look absolutely lost and devoid of any width, which is weird seen as it's supposed to give you width... 

Just now, Don Said said:

Big decision for him to make.

For me it would be daft to drop Lenihan or Rodwell. Their last two games have been clean sheets, picking a motm award up in each.

On the flip side we have missed Mulgrew's delivery and he directly gives us a goal every 4 games ish, but that said we've scored 2 in each.

After winning 3 on the bounce in the league with 4 at the back it would be criminal to suddenly switch to 3 centre backs imo. So, personally I'd go Lenihan/Rodwell but with Tony's previous loyalty picks I expect Lenihan/Mulgrew.

This line on the official site would suggest not

Tony Mowbray says the centre back position is Jack Rodwell's to lose following another impressive display from the former England international.